Green Day Q&A Thread

Fuzz

I don't think you can really compare first week sales of albums that came out in 2000 and albums that come out now can you? Since in the year 2000 people actually bought albums and now with illegal downloading and streaming etc not so much?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can really compare first week sales of albums that came out in 2000 and albums that come out now can you? Since in the year 2000 people actually bought albums and now with illegal downloading and streaming etc not so much?

They've pretty much definitively proved that the effect of piracy on sales is negligible. Most people who pirate the album are just fans listening to a leak or whatever, and almost always end up buying the album anyway.

They've pretty much definitively proved that the effect of piracy on sales is negligible. Most people who pirate the album are just fans listening to a leak or whatever, and almost always end up buying the album anyway.

That's true. According to SoundScan, total album sales in 2000 were 785 million, whereas in 2012 it was 1.6 billion. There is obviously more and more illegal downloading happening as time goes on, but it's balanced out by the fact there are more convenient outlets for music (maybe not physically, but obviously legit downloads are very easy to come by), so it might be unfair to compare them in that respect, but in any case you'd expect it to give Uno an advantage over Warning for that reason.

That's true. According to SoundScan, total album sales in 2000 were 785 million, whereas in 2012 it was 1.6 billion. There is obviously more and more illegal downloading happening as time goes on, but it's balanced out by the fact there are more convenient outlets for music (maybe not physically, but obviously legit downloads are very easy to come by), so it might be unfair to compare them in that respect, but in any case you'd expect it to give Uno an advantage over Warning for that reason.

Yes but cd sales are down majorly than in 2000...

Yes but cd sales are down majorly than in 2000...

Yeah, that's true. My point was that it's irrelevant in the sense that overall sales are up due to downloads.

That's really surprising. I would have figured the complete opposite.

That's really surprising. I would have figured the complete opposite.

Understandable given the rise of illegal downloading. The thing is, ease of access to music and its general availability has also been on the increase. I'm surprised there's so much of a difference though, especially given how CD sales are going down. It's quite staggering really.

I don't believe that. Who's this "they" and how did they prove it?

I don't believe that. Who's this "they" and how did they prove it?

Oh well I don't really know anything about it :lol:. But in any case the ways people listen to and buy music have changed a lot, whatever advantages or disadvantages either had I don't know how meaningful it is to make a comparison between albums that were bought in such different ways.

are green day converse still available to buy? i didnt see them anywhere online but ebay..

are green day converse still available to buy? i didnt see them anywhere online but ebay..

I have a pair to sell - never worn they were too big :(

I have a pair to sell - never worn they were too big :(

yeah i have the same problem! all the sizes on ebay were too big, what size are yours?

Womens 8 they are limited ed AI low cut chuck Taylor's

ugh unfortunately too big! they didnt have them on converse.com so i think they may have just stopped making them!

ugh unfortunately too big! they didnt have them on converse.com so i think they may have just stopped making them!

Yeah it's a shame - I really loved them but I got mixed up I thought it said mens 8 & ladies 6.

8? That's tiny. :(

Mine are 9.5 according to the conversion chart and I'm only 164 cm tall, so, yup, I'm Donald Duck. :D

Alfred E. Normal sounds like one of their most interesting songs ever. And I love Billie's voice when he and Elvis Costello played Allison so I kinda wish it had made it on an album.

Alfred E. Normal?

Alfred E. Normal?

It was a song title on an early Nimrod setlist, but we don't know anything about it other than the title.

It was a song title on an early Nimrod setlist, but we don't know anything about it other than the title.

Interesting title.

Obviously a play on Alfred E Neuman from MAD magazine. Nothing to do with the song probably though.

Everyone's said Whatsername is the only song in drop d, but I'm pretty sure Working Class Hero is as well, the chorus has an open d I think

Everyone's said Whatsername is the only song in drop d, but I'm pretty sure Working Class Hero is as well, the chorus has an open d I think

Whatsername is really in drop d? I saw that on a tab somewhere and thought the tabber was crazy lol. I thought Green Day only used standard and E flat.

People probably don't include WCH because it's a cover.

It could be. The original isn't. Go look up the performance at American Idol and see what Billie does.

Whatsername is really in drop d? I saw that on a tab somewhere and thought the tabber was crazy lol. I thought Green Day only used standard and E flat.

Yeah. There's a D1 power chord in it, you can't play that in standard or E flat.

Archived