Jason White official Green Day member?

melissastrong95

It has been said that Green Day had recorded songs for this new album. I found 2 links on youtube

https://www.youtube....channel&list=UL

https://www.youtube....channel&list=UL

I can't tell who sings the songs btw, it surely isnt BJ but some think it's jason, your thoughts?

Jason's voice doesn't sound like that. World Vs World is a very old unreleased Green Day song (there's a live recording of it and a recording of them playing it on a radio show but that's it. You can listen to them on YouTube if you search it), but that's just a cover of it by some random person. Never heard of the other song but that's not Green Day playing it either. Whoever it is has just labelled them as being new Green Day songs and from Quatro to get attention, it's a lie.

In future if you want the answer to a question don't post it in loads of different places. Your best bet the the Green Day Q&A thread, if anyone knows the answer you'll get it there.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I love hearing the piano in many songs, Jason Freese abso-fucking-lutly ruins others by putting in random key solos and notes. especially on newer songs.

i dont get what you're saying. show me where he ruins songs.

http://gdaimages.s3.amazonaws.com/articles/guitarworld_110112_7.jpg

"He's been playing with us for over 10 years now, so we figured, lets bring him in and he'll be the fourth member. He can be cuatro" - Billie Joe Talking about Jason on the Guitar World Interview

You guys think this confirms anything?

That the album liner notes and the contract confirms it to me

I personally thought Jason Freese's playing on Makeout Party, the live version of course, was fucking great. But that's off subject

I see him as an official member... He is involved in all of the recording process and live concerts, like someone said, he is a member of the BAND, not of the trademark.

Who or who isn't a member is up to the existing members of the band. In this case it's - Mike Pritchard, Billie Joe Armstrong, and Frank Edwin Wright III. Whether or not fans think a member is official or not is irrelevant. Your opinions will not make Jason appear less or more in photo-shoots nor will it change his input and process with the band in the studio and live settings. Obviously, the existing members of Green Day felt he played enough of a part in the writing process of the record, and with his track record of being a live musician with them, they obviously felt he was as equal to them in it - otherwise they wouldn't make him an official member. Seeing as they have all been friends for so long, one can safely assume he's been having input on everything for quite some time. Even on AI/21 I think it's naive to think Jason didn't make suggestions. He plays the parts live after all. Playing live together for so long creates a comradeship and often - musicians fall in sync with each other. If the vibe works on existing songs, they probably thought, why not write new together? I say more power to 'em. Jason didn't ruin anything, because ONE member can't change a bands style. They are still a group - plus he isn't "The new guy" it's Jason White. We know of him for 10+ years!

That the album liner notes and the contract confirms it to me

what does the contract say? and how have you seen the contract?

what does the contract say? and how have you seen the contract?

Havent seen it i work for Warner Bros Studios and I used to do work with Atlantic when I was in music and still have friends at WMG and Access Industries (who owns WMG) I was told by an executive at Access bout the adding

Havent seen it i work for Warner Bros Studios and I used to do work with Atlantic when I was in music and still have friends at WMG and Access Industries (who owns WMG) I was told by an executive at Access bout the adding

So the contract states Green Day as BJ, Mike, Tre, and Jason? doesn't get much more official than that lol

So the contract states Green Day as BJ, Mike, Tre, and Jason? doesn't get much more official than that lol

This

Wait, guys, WAIT. He's not listed as a member on the official Green Day Facebook page, so he must not be an official member! #hashtagsarcasm

But seriously, I'm just considering him a member of the band now.

I'd consider Jason an official member of the band if they listed him in the credits of ¡Uno! I don't think the band would have done that if he hadn't helped them significantly when recording the album. Also, I don't really think it matters whether or not he does a lot of interviews, either. If he starts to do more, then awesome, if not, then whatever, he's still a member in my mind.

Jason white legally is a member of the band. Credits aren't done just because. They are meant to establish legal credit to the artists in a work and to establish who gets a cut of royalties. Jason White is credited as a member of Green Day on the album, not as an additional musician like Tom Kitt is. Ultimately it's about who gets paid, the only way Jason could get paid a substantial amount is if he accredited as a full-time member of Green Day, otherwise he only makes chump change for his contribution.

Billie Joe himself has said in Guitar World "we brought in Jason as our fourth member." Jason sat there with Mike, Tre, and Billie and helped hammer out those songs. By the reasoning of some of you guys, only Billie Joe should get credit since he wrote the songs before he brought them to the other members.

A touring guitarist is just someone who plays the second guitar live, they don't get to participate in the writing, rehearsing, and recording process. And if they do record, write or perform and they are credited as "additional musicians", NOT members of the band.

Jason also has a higher status than the other touring musicians. Take a look at their live shows: Jason stays out and plays along with Billie on everything that was written before American Idiot. If he was just a touring musician he would be told to walk off with Freese and the other guy when the band plays old stuff, but he does not.

Jason's situation is the same as other great players like Pat Smear, Chris Shiflett, and Jarrod Alexander; touring musicians that have been promoted to official members. I don't see what the big deal is.

Jason white legally is a member of the band. Credits aren't done just because. They are meant to establish legal credit to the artists in a work and to establish who gets a cut of royalties. Jason White is credited as a member of Green Day on the album, not as an additional musician like Tom Kitt is. Ultimately it's about who gets paid, the only way Jason could get paid a substantial amount is if he accredited as a full-time member of Green Day, otherwise he only makes chump change for his contribution.

Billie Joe himself has said in Guitar World "we brought in Jason as our fourth member." Jason sat there with Mike, Tre, and Billie and helped hammer out those songs. By the reasoning of some of you guys, only Billie Joe should get credit since he wrote the songs before he brought them to the other members.

A touring guitarist is just someone who plays the second guitar live, they don't get to participate in the writing, rehearsing, and recording process. And if they do record, write or perform and they are credited as "additional musicians", NOT members of the band.

Jason also has a higher status than the other touring musicians. Take a look at their live shows: Jason stays out and plays along with Billie on everything that was written before American Idiot. If he was just a touring musician he would be told to walk off with Freese and the other guy when the band plays old stuff, but he does not.

Jason's situation is the same as other great players like Pat Smear, Chris Shiflett, and Jarrod Alexander; touring musicians that have been promoted to official members. I don't see what the big deal is.

couldnt have said it any better :D

Guest Just Another Joe

Good examples but Smear was kinda iffy. He wasn't exactly an official member of Nirvana.

Good examples but Smear was kinda iffy. He wasn't exactly an official member of Nirvana.

Patwas more than just a back up guitarist tho well compared to other bands he was in the stages of becoming more than just playing back up but sadly Kurt was too far gone by the time Pat came on board well at shows he did seem more lively during the Pat year

Interesting evidence on both sides of the argument. But I do want to point a few things out:

1. In multiple interview this summer, Rob Cavallo and Billie Joe specifically identified Jason as the "unofficial fourth member of Green Day." The fact that they purposefully said "unofficial" leads me to believe that Jason is indeed the unofficial fourth member. If he was an official member, why wouldn't they have just said that instead?

However, being an unofficial fourth member is already a step up from what he was before. Prior to this trilogy, Jason was their touring guitarist, but I don't recall them ever calling him a fourth member - official or unofficial. So being Green Day's unofficial fourth member is already more than he was, so that's a notable change in his part in the band.

2. Just because he is listed as the guitarist in Uno and appeared in the album sleeve photos does not make him an official member - consider No Doubt, who is a band of 4 official members and 2 unofficial members. The horn players have appeared on all of No Doubt's albums and toured with them since the beginning, they're always credited in the album sleeves, and they appear in many album pictures and even appear on the red carpet with the band. But they are still not "official" members - they're the unofficial ones, kind of a step above touring members. They, like Jason, are in that weird space in between, and that's fine.

3. The fact that Jason hasn't appeared in any photo shoots (except for the Uno sleeve) or interview, and the fact that there has been no real announcement about his part in the band, makes me think he's still the unofficial member. Better than what he was - a touring guitarist - but still not quite the same level as the other 3. And honestly, I think Jason is fine with that. He seems happy not having too much attention on him. He's a shy guy who's also really talented, and I don't think he needs to have all the fame that would go with being an official member of Green Day. I know they've offered him an official membership in the band in the past and he's always declined, and I'm not sure if he would really want to change his mind now. If he does, great, but if not, that's his prerogative.

4. I do think the one interview that keeps being quoted here is being read into too much. Billie didn't sound like he was making an announcement about Jason, and I just interpreted it the same as the other interviews of the time - they brought in Jason as their unofficial fourth member. Billie wasn't joking, but he wasn't saying "Jason is now an official part of Green Day!" He sounded more casual, which matches what they were all saying in other interviews.

Now, I like Jason, and I respect him and think he's a great guy who's very talented. I wouldn't mind him being an official member of Green Day - it'd be weird to get used to at first, but in time it would feel more normal. Kind of like getting used to a new hair cut. I know a lot of people here consider him (and want him) to be part of Green Day, but we can't change what he actually is. We can all have our own opinions, but they don't change reality. All we can do is respect the band's and Jason's decisions, whatever they are.

For now, I think Jason is in that limbo stage between touring guitarist and actual band member - so, unofficial member. As soon as there is some kind of actual, not ambiguous announcement, we can stop arguing over what he is or isn't. But until then, let's just try to weigh all the facts fairly, and not disregard evidence that we don't like, and on the flip side, not focus on little tidbits of info at the exclusion of others. Opinions are fine, but they shouldn't get in the way of logical reasoning.

I think for now we can fairly say that whatever Jason is ins't clear to us - hence the arguing.

I never understood the argument with the album credits :confused:

I mean, he added a guitar track to the album. This means he contributed something roughly equal to what Billie, Mike and Tré did. Why is it such a special thing that he got equal credits for that?

It's not like he contributed only additional strings or something like that, which only show up in a few tracks.

He can be heard on every track, so I think it's just fair to credit his work the way they did.

Doesn't make him an official member though. It's just like Billie and Rob said multiple times, "he's the official unofficial 4th member".

Only official members have pictures in booklets and are getting full credit, that's how it's always been. Additional musicians never get this kind of credit, even if they are on every song. Like Bullet in Bible, where every musician "contributed something roughly equal to what Billie, Mike and Tré did" although they weren't fully credited.

4. I do think the one interview that keeps being quoted here is being read into too much. Billie didn't sound like he was making an announcement about Jason, and I just interpreted it the same as the other interviews of the time - they brought in Jason as their unofficial fourth member. Billie wasn't joking, but he wasn't saying "Jason is now an official part of Green Day!" He sounded more casual, which matches what they were all saying in other interviews.

How in the living fuck can you tell Billie SOUNDED casual from a magazine article???

And unofficial members DO NOT get added to band's contracts PERIOD

How in the living fuck can you tell Billie SOUNDED casual from a magazine article???

And unofficial members DO NOT get added to band's contracts PERIOD

He said something like that in the video for the Oh Love video premiere - that's what I was thinking of.

Also, the quote itself (based on how the words are used) can easily be taken as not being a direct, strictly factual statement. Saying "he can be the fourth member" doesn't sound conclusive, and it would make sense if he meant it in an unofficial way, just like all the other quotes from interview this summer. It's not too hard to detect the tone of voice in written quotes, but there is certainly a lot more room for error - especially in terms of sarcasm or joking. But to me it seemed logical to think of it the same way as the other information we were getting at the time.

I just don't see how the other interviews can be cancelled out because of one ambiguous quote. If Jason was going to be the official member, 1) Why did they keep calling him the "unofficial fourth member," and 2) Why haven't they announced as much since then? It's pretty apparent to me that he's still the unofficial member until we get direct, unambiguous confirmation.

Plus, what do you know about their contracts? Where are you getting that information?? I haven't seen any contractual information revealed to the public.

The Uno album sleeve does not say "Green Day is..." and list three/four members. It simply states who played what instrument (including vocals).

I'm pretty sure that until otherwise specified, Jason is the unofficial fourth member. A step above touring member, and a step below actual official band member.

He said something like that in the video for the Oh Love video premiere - that's what I was thinking of.

Also, the quote itself (based on how the words are used) can easily be taken as not being a direct, strictly factual statement. Saying "he can be the fourth member" doesn't sound conclusive, and it would make sense if he meant it in an unofficial way, just like all the other quotes from interview this summer. It's not too hard to detect the tone of voice in written quotes, but there is certainly a lot more room for error - especially in terms of sarcasm or joking. But to me it seemed logical to think of it the same way as the other information we were getting at the time.

I just don't see how the other interviews can be cancelled out because of one ambiguous quote. If Jason was going to be the official member, 1) Why did they keep calling him the "unofficial fourth member," and 2) Why haven't they announced as much since then? It's pretty apparent to me that he's still the unofficial member until we get direct, unambiguous confirmation.

Plus, what do you know about their contracts? Where are you getting that information?? I haven't seen any contractual information revealed to the public.

The Uno album sleeve does not say "Green Day is..." and list three/four members. It simply states who played what instrument (including vocals).

I'm pretty sure that until otherwise specified, Jason is the unofficial fourth member. A step above touring member, and a step below actual official band member.

Didnt see the oh love video int my bad

And I work for Warner Bros Studios but was in the music business for 14 years before switching industries I know plenty of folks at WMG and Access Industries who owns WMG the person in charge of WMG at Access was the one who told me bout Jason being added in when they re newed their contract...

On the linar notes Jason would've been listed as "additional musician" not listed in big letters with Billie Mike and Tre

Didnt see the oh love video int my bad

And I work for Warner Bros Studios but was in the music business for 14 years before switching industries I know plenty of folks at WMG and Access Industries who owns WMG the person in charge of WMG at Access was the one who told me bout Jason being added in when they re newed their contract...

On the linar notes Jason would've been listed as "additional musician" not listed in big letters with Billie Mike and Tre

Hmm. Since that's secondhand - more like thirdhand - information, and I can't really verify it myself, I'm just going to take it with a grain of salt. Not saying I don't trust you or the other guy, but I'd rather wait until Green Day, Jason, Rob Cavallo, or some unarguably reliable source makes it clear. Since there's been no official statement, I'll just continue my skepticism and weighing the evidence. It's not a big deal though. :thumbsup:

p.s. I've seen album liner notes where they list studio musicians equally with the actual band members. Can't remember which ones though, and I left all my CDs back home in the states while I study abroad here, so I can't look it up. But I know I've seen that a couple of times. Not common, but it happens. Who knows.

Archived