Last Night On Earth

pasalaska

When I first heard the song, I did like it but the lyrics is what made me really love the song. The lyrics are beautiful!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the live video of last night on earth.

Exactly. To be honest, I don't like this type of song, it's too slow and sentimental to me.

Generally I don't despise that kind of songs, but this one just doesn't give me that Green Day feeling.

I adore this song. Just because of the raw emotion behind it. If anyone ever loved me enough to write a song this beautiful for me then... wow.

I love this song. :wub: It's such a beautiful, emotional, romantic song.

My favorite line: You are the moonlight of my life every night

I've been in love with this song since I heard it at the first time. Christian's Inferno was too maybe hard for me those days (my long way to listen to rock). I prefer album version to this form musical, especialy this on record with cast.

small-logo.png

Aw, a song like made of sugar :wub: Is full of the sweetest lines ♥

I like it, but everytime I listen to it I wish the studio version could be like the musical one (a guilty pleasure), especially after St. Billie sang it...

the song alone is too cheesy for me, but on the album it works very well after the angry, energetic christians inferno.

the song alone is too cheesy for me, but on the album it works very well after the angry, energetic christians inferno.

It's funny you say that, because I would actually switch that ... I think Christian's Inferno is cheesy, juvenile (its lyrics sound like a Simple Plan ripoff imo) and just not fun to listen to. It's the type of song Green Day haters think Green Day performs. LNOE could be cheesy, but it is one of those that is straight up beautiful.

I love how we can have so many opinions on one song!

It's funny you say that, because I would actually switch that ... I think Christian's Inferno is cheesy, juvenile (its lyrics sound like a Simple Plan ripoff imo) and just not fun to listen to. It's the type of song Green Day haters think Green Day performs. LNOE could be cheesy, but it is one of those that is straight up beautiful.

I love how we can have so many opinions on one song!

come on, LNOE is just straight up schmalz.

This would be my least favourite Green Day song, just because of how over produced it is, but I really do like the lyrics. I think it would have been a lot better if it was just left as a raw piano song, without Billie's voice sounding kind of weird like it does.

It's probably as far as Green Day would ever go in the love song category, but they pulled it off well. It's just beautiful.

When I first heard this on the record, I thought it was some kind of Beatles ripoff.  So props to Billie for convincing me he was Lennon/McCartney.  

The musical version is WAY better.  

This song, like 21 Guns, is another one that I feel is beautiful at its core but not produced right for the studio version.

I don't know why, but this song never really caught me like others did.

I really love this song, especially when I found out the origins and where they put it in the musical. I have to say, it's one of the best love songs out there, because you really can't go wrong with wearing your feelings on your sleeve like that. It may seem cheesy to some people, but you can just hear in Billie's voice that it's coming from a real place, and that's all it needs to secure its place in my heart.

At first the arrangements for who sang it in the musical kind of confused me, but then in regards to the story it made a lot of sense. St. Jimmy is just full of that passion that Johnny seems to lack, so it made perfect sense for him to be singing it. Plus, Tony Vincent's voice in this is just beautiful, especially in the AOL sessions version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCYa2_3Z51Q

As always, great choice for SOTW! :)

I always loved the song... but then i saw it in the musical and it blew my fucking mind

I don't know what it is about this song and Billie's voice but he just sounds really genuine and like he means every word. I had to warm to it but it didn't take more than 3 listens.

You know what? I used to hate this until a few days ago, but since then I listened to this over and over again and I must admit that I love it.

The pairing of this song with 'Christian's Inferno' always makes me think of that line in 'On the Wagon' - 'today I'll say sweet things, but tomorrow I'll be making up excuses for my actions'. It's the other way round here, but the violent veering from utter rage to sentimental love is so vividly realized, it's fucking trippy. That's what I like about it.

I just love this song. I admit it could be a bit too honeyed, but then you listen to the live or musical version and you can't just stop adoring it.

When I first listened to 21st Century Breakdown it was actually one of my favourite songs...I think the lyrics did the trick, they're just breathtaking.

"I'm here to honor you". How many people in a relationship consider to "honor" the partner nowadays? I don't know, I've just seen it so special...as special as the feeling between Billie and Adrienne, that he keeps describing with everytime more amazing words.

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheesiness every now and then. When you're in love sometimes cheesy becomes beautiful. :P I feel this song is just enough without being over the top, but maybe that's partly because of what it means to me personally.

I do agree that it's a little overproduced, but the underlying song is still great.

On 21st CB, Last Night on Earth serves as a perfect endnote to the fury that is Christian's Inferno.....that's been discussed in this thread already and I won't rehash it here. But what I will add is that how Michael Mayer and Tom Kitt ran with this song in AIOB elevates it above and beyond what it already does standing alone and on the album. They turned a simple, cheesy little love song from Billie to Adrienne into an exclaimation point that literally shines a spotlight on the love triangle between Johnny, St. Jimmy, and Whatsername; while at the same time also spotlighting the depth of feeling that an all-but-abandoned new mother's has for her child. In AIOB, the song begins laying the groundwork for the eventual Death of St. Jimmy, while also showing us that Heather will stop at nothing to do what's best for herself and her daughter -- and thus setting up Too Much Too Soon and Letterbomb. This scene has s nailed me twice in a row both times that I've seen it, and I'm fully expecting it to do that again when I see the touring cast in Dallas tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this song. it is so romantic and beautiful. For me it reaches out to my heart.!

i love both versions of this song! both are beautiful, the meaning is amazing, and with the high energy of green day its nice to see something more on the calm but cool side :P

Archived