Cigarettes and Valentines as one of Gibson's 10 lost albums

blueboy

I remember seeing similar articles but this one is kind of new, so here it is:

Green Day – Cigarettes and Valentines

This intended follow-up to Green Day’s 2000 album, Warning, never saw the light of day for one simple reason: the master tapes were stolen from the studio. Frontman Billie Joe Armstrong later said the pilfered material was “good stuff,” while bassist Mike Dirnt remarked that the songs constituted a return to Green Day’s “hard and fast” punk roots. Nonetheless, instead of re-recording the album, the band decided to go a different route. The result was the acclaimed 2004 disc, American Idiot.

Other artists include Bruce Springteen, The Kinks, and The Who.

Just think, if Cigarettes and Valentines wasnt stolen (or just went missing) we probabaly wouldnt have had American Idiot

How good would Cigarettes and Valentines have been? If the title track's anything to go on, I reckon pretty good! Plus I bet a lot of Network/Foxboro Hot Tubs stuff is adapted from it. Shame it went missing, but fine that we got American Idiot instead.

I think that American Idiot actually took 4 years to make and had an "escapegoat" saying they had master tapes stolen, or they thought it couldn't top Warning and shelved it...

Yeah I think the idea that it was stolen is a bit sketchy :lol:. I'm sure whether any or all of it was stolen or went missing or not they could've recreated it if they wanted. Sounds like they just realized it wasn't "maximum Green Day" as they put it and decided to start again with something better - and maybe it was part or all of it being stolen/missing that made them rethink what they were doing and gave them the push to do that.

Nice to see it mentioned on the list!

Just think, if Cigarettes and Valentines wasnt stolen (or just went missing) we probabaly wouldnt have had American Idiot

Yeah that would be a total bummer, such an amazing album, I'm kinda happy that they stole Cigarettes and Valentine.

Yeah that would be a total bummer, such an amazing album, I'm kinda happy that they stole Cigarettes and Valentine.

Yeah I agree, I mean so much in the last year even has been based arounf American Idiot, and with Cigarettes and Valentines, who knows whether everything would have been the same, or would the have lost fans and gone down from there, or rocketed further. But I'm glad American Idiot was born.

What if the next album turned out to be Cigarettes and Valentines, and all these songs were the songs from the stolen tracks? o_O

has anyone else ever wondered that?

fuck! that would be :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok:

Archived