Scattered

Boston

One of the best Nimrod songs. It deserves more play at live shows!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've said it before, i love nimrod, and i fucking love this song

my favorite version live

1:50... <3

Nimrod is my favorite album, and this has to be my favorite song. Scattered is actually the first Green Day song I heard when i was 3. My mother played it to calm me down because i liked it so much. and She played it till i was 6. I didn't need to listen to the CD anymore, because i knew all the words by then, and i just sang it to myself. ah scattered. My mother had great taste at that time.

I wonder why they don't play it live more often. It's such a great song.

It means a lot to me, love it :)

The first time I heard it, I was kinda blown away.

Especially that first line gets stuck in my head.

They played Scattered in August 2009 in Atlanta. Great performance. The honesty of this song is heartfelt. One of the reasons I love Green Day so much is they put it out there and you have a song that speaks to you, no matter what you're going through. This is a song about asking for a second chance. Who hasn't hurt the ones we loved, maybe taken them for granted? When somebody hurts you, you've got F.O.D. (among others) :D and when you realize you screwed up something good with someone who means everything to you, you've got Scattered.

(also i was at the show in MA. Word. My DNA is like, in the air of that video. Somewheres.)

I was right behind the girl filming that video! I'm surprised my voice isn't destroying the recording - I literally sung every word to every song the whole time. :lol:

That's how I've always felt about Green Day. Their songs are very sincere but also open to interpretation, so anyone can fit it into their own lives and connect with them on a very personal level.

Scary, I was just playing this song last week over and over again. Well it deserves to be the song of the week!

I was right behind the girl filming that video! I'm surprised my voice isn't destroying the recording - I literally sung every word to every song the whole time. :lol:

I was in the BACK. The back... the way WAY back. Last row before lawn seats started. Fuck, that sucked. I mean, my BF got the tickets and i'm thankful he paid for them and went with me two nights in a row (almost) but FUCK...

One of my all time favorite songs :wub:

I've got some scattered pictures lying on my bedroom floor

Reminds me of the times we shared

Makes me wish that you were here

Is also one of my all times favorite lyrics, speacially because it reminds me of an old friend

Amazing song :wub: really

I was in the BACK. The back... the way WAY back. Last row before lawn seats started. Fuck, that sucked. I mean, my BF got the tickets and i'm thankful he paid for them and went with me two nights in a row (almost) but FUCK...

Did you go to Hartford as well? I was at that show too. :D

I had seats in the first section of covered seating, and then when Billie invited more people into the pit I got in! It was awesome, I got on stage with the big group during One for the Razorbacks/2000 Lightyears Away as well!

I fucking love that song! :) My favorite from Nimrod. I love the lyrics, and everything else about it. That's all I can say. I wish I'd heard that song live :wub:

This song is just so amazing. It's my third favorite song on Nimrod. My first two favs being All The Time and Worry Rock.

this song, oddly, reminds me a lot of my dad. it's also a huge inspiration behind a lot of my photography (wow, how pretentious does that sound? but it's true). it kind of makes me think of my parents' relationship, around the time it ended, and i dunno, a lot of my friendships (and relationships lol ugh) are also a lot like this, like angeline said; "standing in that doorway with just one question - 'would it be alright ?'" i think that sums up this song perfectly, in less than a sentence.

This has always been one of my favorite Nimrod songs. I think this and Worry Rock are tied as my all time favorites. :wub:

I love this song to death, and I'm really surpised that it hasn't already been Song of The Week. Definitely one of the best from Nimrod, and they really need to play this one live more.

Did you go to Hartford as well? I was at that show too. :D

I had seats in the first section of covered seating, and then when Billie invited more people into the pit I got in! It was awesome, I got on stage with the big group during One for the Razorbacks/2000 Lightyears Away as well!

FUCK YEA I WAS IN HARTFORD!!! Every time they've played hartford since... 1997? I had pit tickets for that cuz *I* ordered them! (never trust a BF to do the work for you.)

Anyways. I ran into people i hadn't seen since college that night (good people.) And i met a bunch of cool people too.

I start my new job tomorrow. Swear to god, i am putting away money for next fucking tour.

ANYWAYS not to stray off topic- so the boy that made this song sting has been on my mind lately, despite the fact that he's been out of my life forever and i will never, ever see him again. But i was really mean to him and i'm sorry for it. I should've known better, WE WERE 16, HE WASN'T GOING TO FREAKING MARRY ME. I should have just shut up and stayed his friend. *sigh.* So it is appropriate (and strangely coincidental) that this is the current song of the week...

This has always been one of my favourites on Nimrod - I just love the imagery in the lyrics, I mean everyone's looked through a pile of photos nostalgically before, questioning where the times went.

My favourite part probably has to be:

Loose ends tied in knots

Leaving a lump down in my throat.

Gagging on a souvenir.

Lodged to fill another year.

Drag it on and on until my skin is ripped to shreds.

Leaving myself open wide.

Living out a sacrifice

I just love the imagery of choking on the memories of good times past and the line 'drag it on and on until my skin is ripped to shreds'.

I also LOVE Mike's harmonies in this - it's just so well put together this song, it's got a really 'full' sound with real depth.

Seeing it live in Irvine was a real unexpected treat, I wish they'd play it more often just so we'd get to hear Mike's harmonies more.

And thanks again Boston for writing this up :)

With the opening lyric “I’ve got some scattered pictures lying on my bedroom floor,” it is clear that this song is about looking back on memories. As the song progresses into the chorus, it is made clear that the song is about fixing the “loose ends tied in knots” and salvaging a relationship on the fritz. It seems most plausible that the relationship he is speaking of is his marriage, based on the line “Now it seems I’ve forgotten my purpose in this life.” "Scattered" fits in with the theme of a lot of Nimrod’s songs – Billie seems to be evaluating his life at that moment as a husband and father of two boys and asking where it will all end up in the future.

I think there's some support for that interpretation in the lyrics, but on Nimrod I think it's Redundant that addresses if and how it's possible to stay in a marriage when it's gone stale, when "I love you is not enough" anymore. Taken as a whole I think Scattered's subject matter is reminiscing about a close relationship that soured one time in the past. Reminds me of the times we shared, makes me wish that you were here ... wishing that the narrator had a chance to do something differently, perhaps. Poignant, touching, and painful, with some more brilliant wordplay in the lyrics. "The loose ends tied in knots leaving a lump down in my throat, I'm gagging on a souvenir" -- so many of us have regrets, things that we wish we could have said or done differently, and Billie nails that with that lyric. Every time I hear that I feel that knot forming in my stomach. Sometimes about something in particular, sometimes about nothing in particular, but Scattered puts it there, brings you inward, makes you think, and forces you to remember-- even if you'd rather just forget.

After the lines "If you got no one and I got no place to go, would it be alright? could it be alright?" which I like, when he repeats "I've got some scattered pictures lying on my bedroom floor" :wub: I love that part. And the whole 'open the past and present -and future' "is all I've got and I'm giving it all to you" those words are so important to say to a person you love... it shows regret but also that he's not going to give up, so it's more like a love song to me because of it. And my 2nd favorite from Nimrod. ♥

I love this song. It's my favourite song off Nimrod. I just love the feel you get from it and I love the lyrics in the first verse :wub:

To me it has always been one of those late night songs that just fit with listening to at night ^^

I've found that too. I always end up listening to it when I'm in my room drawing or something late at night :)

Oh, my favourite song off of Nimrod and one of my favourite of all the time :woot: I'm glad to see so many deep appreciation posts.

Very catchy tune, and again a few words, a few mental images that say everything. Everything about a relationship that's losing its road and having a list...very close to other Nimrod songs such as Worry Rock. But with something more: between the regrets, the confusion, the loss of "purpose in this life", holding on to some scattered memories there is still the faith, the will to start building again something..."it's all I've got and I'm giving it to you", that's a brik of a relationship, giving all oneself to the other.

So all the bitterness floods out in the rough voice wondering "Would it be alright? Could it be alright?".

"Drag it on and on until my skin is ripped to shreds, leaving myself open wide, living out a sacrifice", my favourite part.

Conclusion: awesome song :wub:

Archived