pasalaska

You piss billie joe off, he writes a mean song about you. I mean you just get what you deserve

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this song so much, definitely one of my favorites off of nimrod. It's great to listen to when your really pissed off.

Oh HOW I love this song. It's one of my favorites off of nimrod. The melody is catchy and great, and I've always been a huge fan of billie's writing. And the lyrics to this song just makes me admire his work even more. The way those letters inspired such a song. The woman who wrote those letters must me uh... honored that she got a song? :lol:

Very appropriate song for the week! This song kicks arse, so many killer lines and really clear, upbeat music propelling it along. It's really snappy :D. Love the whole sentiment of the lyrics too. I think my favourite line is "What's the difference between you and me? I do what I want and you do what you're told". So wonderfully snotty and defiant, it's the ultimate I'll do things my way and I don't care what you think about it song.

These letters and the subsequent song are a brilliant look into Billie's songwriting process. He has a stubborn determination--apparent in the plane incident--that allows him to look at the world from a different angle than many people. Most would have gotten the letter and laughed it off, letting the record company worry about it. But Billie is very "thin-skinned", as Aaron describes him in #54. Incidents like the angry parent sit with him so deeply that he expands upon the feeling and makes a powerful song out of it. I wish I had that talent!

Wow this is so true, I'd never thought about it that way before. It's the combination of those two things that drives him to write a song like this. Brilliant observation!

This is another song that speaks for itself and doesn't need any introduction or explanation. There's no dancing around the point going on, no contrast between the lyrics and music or hard-to-find second layers*, the song is.

I don't think I could pick a favourite line either. I guess the "what the difference between" etc lyric is, but it's got several really nice lines.

* maybe this, but that's not really a second layer, just an alternative interpretation. Still the same sentiment.

I used to never have anything with the song, cool song cool sentiment but that's it, but at some point I suddenly started really liking it. I really liked that live version as well. I really remember that it was a SOTW thread that sparked that, and I stil remember that even though it's impossible because it's now a SOTW and I'm fairly sure the old SOTWs had long stopped when I "discovered" the song.

"It's no big deal" still sounds to me like "ansobichou" (and so bid/but/with you?). When I want to hear the proper lyric I do hear it, but it isn't one of Billie's finest eununciation moments.

Definitely, one of my top 5 from Nimrod. And even though the lyrics are great (as usual), what really does it for me it's the sound: it's fast, like in a hurry, very energetic, and very tight. It's one of those songs where the music it's the exact reflection of the lyrical content, it goes super fast, like when you get really mad or you have all this pent-up anger and you finally let it loose and you let all these feelings and words, it's like an explosion, you spit it all out. It's lifting the lid on things you've had bottled up inside and letting it all out.

Reject goes along with Platypus. Nice to listen to them back-to-back.

^^^^^

THIS.

Great,fast-paced song(my fav type of GD songs.)Clever Lyrics.BJ could just say F.O.D,b*(&^h.But he didn't.

I love the 'falling from grace right, right on my face' line. I think it's the vocals, and the defiance in that he doesn't care if he fails as long as he does things his way. It's like a big 'screw you' to all the critics of the band.

That's my favorite line from the song too! I couldn't agree more you

Oh gosh :rofl: that into made my stomach hurt from laughing

I'm gonna be honest, I haven't listened to this song in months. That's why i love these "song of the week" things, they help me remember songs I haven't heard in a while.

I do what I want, and you do what you're told

who doesn't just love that line? it's great

This is defiantly one of my favourite songs of Nimrod. When I first got the album, I would listen to this song over and over again :D

Yay! This is one of my favourite songs from Nimrod. The music reflects the message of this song perfectly, and it has simple lyrics, which are still great at the same time. Line like "Whats the diiference between you and me? I do what I want and you do what you're told" are classics :happy:

It's often said in psychological circles that the absence of love isn't hate, it's nothing -- simply a shrugged-off "I don't care." Although the narrator in Reject is straining to convince you that he doesn't give a damn what you think of him or (adding in the back-story) his songwriting, his words betray him. This is unfiltered rage pouring out of him here -- a giant middle finger, telling you exactly where he wants you to shove your self-righteous indignation. The narrator may not give a shit about you personally, and indeed he may not even know you at all, but he is deeply hurt by what you said/did anyway. That's where Mr. Rage'n'Love turns to rage. He throws everything right back at you in a pile of venom-filled vitriol, taking a degree of quasi-sadistic pleasure in that he's simply able to respond to you like this -- indeed, he uses the fact that he's weathered so many past trials as justification for his vindictiveness. "After everything I've been through to get myself here, I survived and you still have to deal with me. Does this make you feel anxious? GOOD." So when the smoke clears here I am, your reject all-American, sucking up to your social sect, making you a nervous wreck, to hell and back and hell again I've gone...

Musically, this is typical, autobiographical, angst-filled Green Day that fits right in with the rest of their Insomniac/Nimrod era. Killer bass line, even more killer percussion, laid over a poppy melody that masks all the anger, all the rage, contained in the lyrics.

As an aside -- when I first heard Reject, I heard "your rich and tall American" instead of "your reject all-American". BJA may be rich, but "tall" would definitely not be an adjective I'd use to describe him. Silly me. :cool:

This has always been one of my favs off Nimrod :) The letter BJ wrote was just epic, just pure Green Day :creep:

I love Reject and it's one of my favourite songs of Nimrod. The first line is probably my favourite one because for me it has the same "fuck you I don't care what you say"-vibe. It's so awesome that that woman wrote the letter to Billie on my birthday (the exact date and year) .That song also brought me to like a few songs from the All American Rejects just because they named their band after the song :lol:

I love this song. Lol the letters were....inspiring haha I want Billie Joe's attitude to rub off on me

I also listen to the all American Rejects hahaha an started to listen to them for the same reason

• 2 years later...

It's one of those Nimrod songs that are neglected to no end. It's a shame, it's a really good song.

Archived