Westboro Baptist Church's version of American Idiot and WMUWSE

pasalaska

I'm sorry to hear that. Here, in the Bill of Rights, we have the right to peaceably assemble, as well as others. People seem to forget that those rights apply to everyone when they actually like the thing being protested. At the point that people are hacking their website and all, their rights are not being respected as we would want from them.

We have rights to assemble as well, it's just the limits are different. I don't think being allowed to "peaceably assemble" should include being allowed to harass people at a funeral and scream abuse at people in the street. Nor should it include being allowed to encourage others to commit violence or other crime against other people. There has to be a balance between protecting the rights of a group who wants to demonstrate and protecting everyone else's rights not to be harassed or hurt by their actions. Not to mention where do their children's rights come into it? Forcing children to hold up signs with obscene language on them and chant hate in the street is absolutely an abuse of their human rights, a far worse abuse than limiting people's "right to assemble" to prevent them negatively affecting other people.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about their rights.

Not when it comes to rights, it isn't.

So if they have rights then why do they get arrested for their protests and get charged for hate crimes if hate is legal as you saying it is?

We have rights to assemble as well, it's just the limits are different. I don't think being allowed to "peaceably assemble" should include being allowed to harass people at a funeral and scream abuse at people in the street. Nor should it include being allowed to encourage others to commit violence or other crime against other people. There has to be a balance between protecting the rights of a group who wants to demonstrate and protecting everyone else's rights not to be harassed or hurt by their actions. Not to mention where do their children's rights come into it? Forcing children to hold up signs with obscene language on them and chant hate in the street is absolutely an abuse of their human rights, a far worse abuse than limiting people's "right to assemble" to prevent them negatively affecting other people.

So people have the right to assemble, just not about things the majority support. If they do that, it's hate.

Children are a far different aspect, and the question of what parents are actually allowed to make their kids do is p.much unanswerable. Pushing beliefs on them is generally frowned upon, but obviously it's done every (sun)day.

So if they have rights then why do they get arrested for their protests and get charged for hate crimes if hate is legal as you saying it is?

"So if they have rights then why do they get infringed?"

So people have the right to assemble, just not about things the majority support. If they do that, it's hate.

Children are a far different aspect, and the question of what parents are actually allowed to make their kids do is p.much unanswerable. Pushing beliefs on them is generally frowned upon, but obviously it's done every (sun)day.

"So if they have rights then why do they get infringed?"

You DO know hate speech and hate groups are ILLEGAL right?

Let me guess you also support the KKK's rights as well?

I'm sorry to hear that. Here, in the Bill of Rights, we have the right to peaceably assemble, as well as others. People seem to forget that those rights apply to everyone when they actually like the thing being protested. At the point that people are hacking their website and all, their rights are not being respected as we would want from them.

Peaceably assemble? You must be joking, right? Is it even possible to incite hatred peacefully? Contradiction in terms.

You DO know hate speech and hate groups are ILLEGAL right?

Let me guess you also support the KKK's rights as well?

I support their rights to protest and speak out and such. They're allowed to hate anyone they want, just as much as we're allowed to hate them.

incite hatred

Protip: I'm not the one that used that term.

I never even suggested you did. I was saying that's what they do, which it is when they "assemble."

I support their rights to protest and such. They're allowed to hate anyone they want, just as much as we're allowed to hate them.

Being allowed to hate a group of people isn't the same as being allowed to scream at them, harass them, and incite others to commit violence against them. Since when do people have the right to abuse and harass others when they're trying to go about their business? They're infringing on other people's rights by doing that.

Sometimes I think that Zack just loves arguing.

I do. That doesn't mean I argue for things in which I don't believe, though.

• 8 months later...

Sometimes I remember that those AI parody lyrics exist and laugh for an hour straight.

Please stay on topic, back to debating rights of protesters

This makes me sad. I believe in God but these people are crazy. I feel that people like this are the reason so many people don't want to be part of Christianity, even though there are plenty of Christians (like myself) that aren't like this. They are extremists and no different that the extremists of other religions.

Oh this is thread is old. oops.

Yeah, I enjoy bumping it from time to time :P

but agreed, as a Christian I can't really say that these people are following the Bible? Judge not lest you be judged, etc., never mind that they aren't exactly being Christ-like. Jesus never went around saying "I hate x group of people," or "I can't wait to cast all ya'll mothafuckers into hell."

WBC is to Christianity what suicide bombers are to Islam, or Soka Gakkai to Buddhism. Or Mitsuo 'Jesus' Matayoshi to Japanese politics. ;)

To be honest I don't think many people judge Christians in general by the WBC, pretty much everyone can see they're just a crazy hateful family with their own unique set of weird beliefs that are all on their own. It's not a totally crazy and extreme cult like WBC that gives other Christians a bad name, it's Christians who are more conventional but take things too far and are just a bit crazy and extreme (which there are a lot more of).

People don't judge Christianity by the Westboro Baptist Church, they judge it by the ridiculous claims it makes.

Anyway, that's for another thread :lol:

Yeah as far as wanting to be a part of Christianity themselves there's plenty of reasons why people don't want to other than the actions of other Christians (or "Christian" cults like this), the number one being they don't believe in or agree with its actual teachings and theories.

Archived