Green Day Question and Answer Thread

tapdancingowl

What's the first picture in your signature from?

It's from the making of the BOBD/Holiday videos, after or during the credits

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's from the making of the BOBD/Holiday videos, after or during the credits

Right...i can hide nothing to u!! :happy::runaround:

The symbol on his chest is two things, an upside down cross and a heart. While popular culture will tell you the upside down cross is Satanic, in reality Saint Peter was crucified upside down because he didn't feel worthy of dying like Jesus, so if anything it would be a symbol that shows unworthiness before Christ. Blame metal bands for that one.

My first thought as to what Billie/the people who made the musical possible meant by it is "Rage and Love".

BJ is written on Blue in electrical tape.

What's the first picture in your signature from?

thank u! ....he made good job...is not easy doing the B with that !! :cool:

For Green Day's previous tours, what has been the most amount of tickets you could buy per person?

For Green Day's previous tours, what has been the most amount of tickets you could buy per person?

I think it varies from place to place but I'd say the max for most would be 10

On the 2009 UK tour, you could only buy 2 per person for the entire thing. In 2010 you could buy more though (I think we bought 6 all in the same name) so it really does vary with each tour and place. I'd guess that like Liam said the max is usually around 10. You can always get a friend or family member to buy some if the limit is low, although you have to make sure you can trust them to get it right! :P

Did Billie actually say this or is it one of those fake ones?

“A lot of the time I was thinking about suicide, how it’s so easy to kill yourself, but so hard to stay alive.” - Billie Joe Armstrong

Did Billie actually say this or is it one of those fake ones?

as far as i know he really did, at least it's in my book that i was reading ("Green Day - American Idiots and the new punk explosion" or however it's called xD)...i think he was talking about the pre-dookie time and after his break-up with his ex-girlfriend ;)

as far as i know he really did, at least it's in my book that i was reading ("Green Day - American Idiots and the new punk explosion" or however it's called xD)...i think he was talking about the pre-dookie time and after his break-up with his ex-girlfriend ;)

Poor guy, he must have had a really hard time back then

Poor guy, he must have had a really hard time back then

yeah seems like it :/

Thanks! :) I did manage to find the full quote but wasn't sure whether it was actually real or not. It was just a simple but interesting way of describing that feeling.

If anyone else is interested here's the full quote

"Take Armatage Shanks, for example. When I wrote that song, it was right before Dookie came out, and I was really at odds with myself. I was like, man, do I really want to do this? A lot of the time I was thinking about suicide, how it's so easy to kill yourself, but so hard to stay alive. I was in a break-up with my then-girlfriend, a total, raving punk rocker who didn't approve of me being on a major label. She moved down to Ecuador, saying she couldn't live in a world with McDonald's and such. It was fucking me up pretty bad."

I thought she moved to Ecuador for school.

This quote sounds fake to me, even without that part.

Who the fuck would move to Ecuador because she doesn't want to see a Mc Donald when she looks out of the window!?

I thought she moved to Ecuador for school.

This quote sounds fake to me, even without that part.

idk but it stands in my book, sure there might be mistakes in it, but i doubt they'd take a fake quote...

Who the fuck would move to Ecuador because she doesn't want to see a Mc Donald when she looks out of the window!?

It's more of an expression saying that she basically dislikes the big corporations or just the American system in general I think.

I don't think it's fake. That's a pretty decent/legit book and he's said many times that he's gone through rough/difficult/depressing times in his life, and the description of the girlfriend fits with other descriptions he's given of her. She did go to Ecuador for school but that could be the reason she chose to go to school there for a while instead of staying in the US. There's other times when he's said she moved to Ecuador without mentioning it was for school too, my guess is because it sounds more dramatic that way :lol:

Poor girl was probably disappointed that Ecuador is one of the South American countries most corporatized by greedy American businesses :toocool:

I could go for a McFlurry now.

373715_125738117462361_58560619_n.jpg

I dunno. I just think it sounds too whiny to be him, plus the girlfriend thing.

And weren't him and Adie together when Dookie came out? He met her on the Kerplunk tour, and then weren't they together during the Dookie era? Why would Ecuador Girl have anything to say about the major label thing?

Doesn't matter much.

I dunno. I just think it sounds too whiny to be him, plus the girlfriend thing.

Doesn't matter much.

Billie Joe is quite an emotional guy. I wouldn't be surprised if that quote is real actually. He does or did not always show it, but the fact that he writes very touching songs also shows how deep his feelings can go.

And Billie and Adie got together somewhere during Dookie. Between the time of Kerplunk and Dookie Adie moved to another place to move in with this guy or something? Billie wrote Chump about that I think. Maybe Ecuador girl was in between that time

The Ecuador girl is Amanda... there's probably better stuff about it on the internet but this is the only interview I've got where he talks about that and Dookie:

VH1: How much of Dookie is a love letter to your wife Adrienne?

Billie Joe: There really weren't any songs about her at that time. A lot of the songs are about this girl from San Diego, who went to Cal Berkeley. Adrienne and I weren't going out at the time. We lost contact with each other for about a year. She got engaged to a guy in Minneapolis. Then I got involved with this other girl. I lived in the basement in Berkeley with all these guys from the East Bay and she lived upstairs in the apartment. We ended up having this year-long relationship. The song "She" was about her.

VH1: How did you come to write it?

Billie Joe: She gave me this poem about this empowering woman, which I think is called "She." I wrote the song as an answer back to her. My now ex-girlfriend is also on the songs "Sassafras Roots" and "Chump."

VH1: So How did you and Adrienne get back together?

Billie Joe: My ex-girlfriend was moving to Ecuador to live there for the spring semester. At that point we were going to go on our tour and just keep going. So we had a hasty breakup. I never really talked to her ever again.

I might be wrong, but I think Billie and Adie met in 1990, and he was dating someone else. Billie dumped that girlfriend, but he and Adie didn't really have a relationship because of the distance (and I think she had a boyfriend). Then Billie started dating Amanda, and wrote some songs about her which appeared on Dookie (such as She). Then they broke up, and sometime after Dookie came out is when Billie and Adie got together. Then they got married in July 1994, 5 months after Dookie came out.

I think I read all that in the Nobody Likes You book, but that was a few years ago, so I might have mis-remembered parts of it.

The Ecuador girl is Amanda... there's probably better stuff about it on the internet but this is the only interview I've got where he talks about that and Dookie:

Nobody ever said her IRL name was Amanda.

Whatsername is about her, and Billie Joe decided to name Whatsername, but that doesn't mean that the name he gave to Whatsername is the name of the real girl she's based off of.

I guess maybe it's not her real name but that's what Billie has always called her when he talks about her. Not that it really matters or is any of my business.

Nobody ever said her IRL name was Amanda.

Whatsername is about her, and Billie Joe decided to name Whatsername, but that doesn't mean that the name he gave to Whatsername is the name of the real girl she's based off of.

Her name actually is Amanda. It says so in books, Billie's tweeted it, and he explained that when announcing their song "Amanda" at the secret shows last year. It's not a made up name, it's real.

I would have preferred that they hadn't revealed Whatsername's name but oh well.

Archived