Road to Acceptance

J'net

I love this song, it's one of my favorites from the album!

I remember reading an interview in which Mike said this song is about racism because they experienced a lot of that back in the ealier years. But whatever, the lyrics are amazing and I think everyone can relate to them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaahh i LOVE Road To Acceptance it's frikin awesome!!!!!!!! :banana::dance::bunny::runaround:

This song is easily in my top 5 least liked Green Day songs. Billie's voice just annoys the fuck out of me in it, so I barely listen it. If you get past the first part, it's okay, but usually I don't because I think it's so annoying. And that part is repeated later as well.

So I never really took the time to, well, even skim through the lyrics. Now that I've read them... yeah, those are pretty nice lyrics. They're true, and easy to relate to, I suppose. I'm not going to make any further judgement on them, considering most of it is new to me (it's frigging impossible to understand what the lyrics are until you look them up :lol:), but so far, I like them a lot.

I might come back on this later, when I've tried to warm up to this song. Or at least thought about it some more, haha.

Not really related to the song, but for the longest time I thought John wrote this (until I Was There was SOTW, when I found out it was in fact I Was There that's written by John, and this one by Billie.) xD

This song is easily in my top 5 least liked Green Day songs. Billie's voice just annoys the fuck out of me in it, so I barely listen it. If you get past the first part, it's okay, but usually I don't because I think it's so annoying. And that part is repeated later as well.

Ouch. I don't see how Billies voice could be annyoing to anyone in this song because to me, it just sounds like...well, Billie :P

I hope it will grow on you because it's a really awesome song ;)

Great choice, J'net! It seems like a dream to me too that they actually played it in Costa Rica.

Another great Green Day song :)

We all wanna join a family

we'll even sacrifice a moral changing

adolescence just can't make sense

if you'd stop a while

maybe if you smiled

you would realise that we are the same

My life.

btw, if you wanna what the song is about, listen to the concert in Vancouver 1992. Billie explains it during the bridge :) But I think it was already clear and mentioned before (prejudices, rasiscm etc.) :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAa3U4T8GqY

Here is the intro from Costa Rica... :)

Thanks for posting this. I think you can feel the excitement in the air when they really kick into the song. It brings it back for me. I love that rush!!!

Fucking love this 'road' song - it's a weapon, something to have in your back pocket as you set forth, truths about the search for self and the emotional pulls for community. I love how the words blurt in before the music comes full on to drive them, no rhymes, free-flow, and that in the negative of them is the challenge to be different. Road to Acceptance is acceptance of the road - that it will likely be lonely, and here, it feeds right into Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

This is a great song choice :)

that video from Costa Rica is just amazing - I love it when they play 1039 songs now; even 20 years on the songs are still relevant and manage to fill a huge arena. I love that these songs were written way before GD even dreamed of making it big and yet they still work.

I love the video of this that's on the enhanced version on 1039.

I remember I read some of the lyrics of this song in a Green Day book before I ever heard it, and at the time I thought I never would because I didn't know the first two albums were still available/existed. I REALLY wanted to hear it though because the lyrics blew me away. When I did get the album it was instantly my favourite song on there. It's one of the more interesting songs musically too, it has a emotional feeling to it and it feels like the music makes the lyrics even more powerful.

I love the message of the lyrics, accepting everyone for what they are and wanting to be accepted for what you are. Not necessarily what you'd expect from a teenage band singing songs about love and I think that's what's always set Green Day apart, they've made thoughtful songs with an important message since the beginning.

I always waste my time just wondering

What the next man thinks of me

I'll never do exactly what I want

And I'll sculpt my life for your acceptance

Love those opening lines, I can definitely relate to that sentiment. Such a wonderful and impressive song :wub:

This is a great song choice :)

that video from Costa Rica is just amazing - I love it when they play 1039 songs now; even 20 years on the songs are still relevant and manage to fill a huge arena. I love that these songs were written way before GD even dreamed of making it big and yet they still work.

I love the video of this that's on the enhanced version on 1039.

I do love that video from Costa Rica - that crowd was simply AWESOME! After what I'd heard about the previous show and knowing that there were still floor tickets for this show available at the shop around the corner from our hotel on the day Tony and I arrived in Costa Rica, I was a bit worried that the crowd might not offer the guys much energy. Wow, was I ever wrong! It was a great crowd, a great show, and this song was only one of the many highlights.

And I agree that it's wonderful how their songs from the deep past are still so meaningful to people who weren't even born when the songs were written.

I'll be honest and say that it's one of the few Green Day songs I don't listen to that often, but I agree it's still really great. Maybe I'll re-listen on my iPod tomorrow and try to appreciate it more! :)

This. If someone played this song for me I would not be able to name it =/

And I agree that it's wonderful how their songs from the deep past are still so meaningful to people who weren't even born when the songs were written.

I forget that 1039 is older than me :mellow:

it's like how (according to setlist.fm) 1000 Hours hadnt been played since the year I was born before it was played in Quebec. It's strange.

I remember I read some of the lyrics of this song in a Green Day book before I ever heard it, and at the time I thought I never would because I didn't know the first two albums were still available/existed. I REALLY wanted to hear it though because the lyrics blew me away. When I did get the album it was instantly my favourite song on there. It's one of the more interesting songs musically too, it has a emotional feeling to it and it feels like the music makes the lyrics even more powerful.

I love the message of the lyrics, accepting everyone for what they are and wanting to be accepted for what you are. Not necessarily what you'd expect from a teenage band singing songs about love and I think that's what's always set Green Day apart, they've made thoughtful songs with an important message since the beginning.

I always waste my time just wondering

What the next man thinks of me

I'll never do exactly what I want

And I'll sculpt my life for your acceptance

Love those opening lines, I can definitely relate to that sentiment. Such a wonderful and impressive song :wub:

You just said exactly what I wanted to say, but in much better words =)

This song is really important to me...The lyrics are just... :wub: I can relate to it so much.

Well I feel forgotten

Feel like rotting

Do you feel the same?

Adolescence

Just can't make sense

It's calling my name

I take a look around

And all the things I've found

I call it blind hatred

Hearing it live would be like a dream <3

I haven't listened to this song for ages. I used to like it very much a couple of years ago, though. The lyrics are just great, so true. It's an amazing song, definitely one of my favourtites off 1039/SOSH. :wub:

Would have loved to hear it live.

the lyrics just make you think of how if everyone could just stop and smile we would all figure out that were all the same xD

Ahhh, Road To Acceptance, one of my favourite songs from 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours.

I'm glad that this song is song of the week this week, it really deserved to be. :eyebrow:

Back when I 1st started going to Green Day concerts in 1991-92 "Road To Acceptance" was

usually the closing song. It always made me sad when they played it because I knew it was

the end of the gig, but I do love that song.

Archived