Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

J'net

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally just realized I got the lyrics to this song wrong in my sig.

'is', not 'it's'. I always do that wrong =/

edit. woo fixed

This song will always have a place in my heart. It is one of the first songs (along with Macy's Day Parade and Minority) that I ever heard of Green Day and it is the song which got me into Green Day. It is also the song which was played at my graduation. I love this song :wub:

Did you see the recent Munich performance (MTV World Stage)? IMO it's one of the best live performances of Good Riddance that I've ever seen, it shows you how unbelievably far Billie Joe has come as a musician. Vocals are pitch perfect even after 90 minutes of performing, and it's just incredible what he can do with an acoustic guitar now.

I'd have given my left nut to have been able to see this live!!

That is a really great performance. I hope VH1 airs it when they show that concert.

I used this song as a contrast to a classical poem as part of my uni course; the lecturer was very impressed with the literary devices that Billie uses in this song, a combination of alliteration and internal rhymes which are far more sophisticated the deeper you analyse the lyrics as poetry. I explained the irony of this being thought of as a love song, when Billie always intended it as just the opposite.

I got 94% for that essay. Thanks Billie.

Don't you love when artists help you get good grades? I'm a popular culture minor at school and I've written a lot of papers about musicians/songs, and I've done well on them. :cool:

Oh god, the memories that come with this song...

I hold Good Riddance so close to my heart. I fell in love with this song before I even had an inkling as to what band it was. I was pretty little - I'd say 6 or 7. I heard it for the first time at Hard Rock Cafe (where they were showing the video), and the image of Billie sitting on the bed with a black shirt on playing the guitar ALWAYS stuck in my mind. I may sound like a nut for saying this, but years later when I fell in love with the band and found out they did this song I love so much - I believed in fate. :happy: I thought "I guess a a few years ago something was trying to tell me what I had to look forward to."

I think that its a huge fuck you thats its not the last song on nimrod :lol: thats just my opinion

Forgot to mention:

At the shows I went to - when Billie came out by himself and played this song, it was like time stood still. Never had I felt that way before, but it was the most incredible feeling. It was like nothing else mattered, like my brain went into sleep-mode for a minute so I could stay in the moment.

That's what I most vividly remember about the GD concerts I've been to, and god - what an amazing memory.

I havent been able to listen to this song since the end of the australian tour, everytime it comes on i have to skip it..

but this song means quite a bit to me coz its what got me into green day, i have to say its probably not the best song to introduce you to green day because its very different from their music, but for me it worked out well, before this song came out the music i used to listen was... well lets just was Shit...pop shit and while this is not a shit song, on the surface, it fits in that genre.. But when i listened to it, i thought ok let me check out the rest of the album and it was very different but i loved it.. it introduced me to a genre i really related to and loved.. and surprisingly didnt know about.. and since then i have loved green day and punk rock music...

Thanks for making it SOFTW

it is such a beautiful song, I was in tears when he sung it in Birmingham. After all the energy of the past 2hours it is a perfect ending to hear his amazing voice and that song. to be honest though I could hear all the crowd more than him! everyone knows every lyric to this song.

x

This song came on my mp3 player shuffle last night when I was on the train home from work. You know when you listen to a song with fresh ears? You've heard it a million times but sometimes you listen extra hard. That was last night. I love the soaring violins. Also the line: Time grabs you by the wrist directs you where to go

Wasn't it played at Princess Diana's funeral? Or am I confusing it with news montages or something...

Love the original B-side version. Love the nimrod version. Great Song.

it is such a beautiful song, I was in tears when he sung it in Birmingham. After all the energy of the past 2hours it is a perfect ending to hear his amazing voice and that song. to be honest though I could hear all the crowd more than him! everyone knows every lyric to this song.

x

It was a weird moment, because on one hand, like you said, everyone was singing along, but yet, I still felt like I could hear a pin drop (like I could during Macy's Day Parade before it); everyone was loud as they possibly could be, yet completely understated. Really cool.

This song came on my mp3 player shuffle last night when I was on the train home from work. You know when you listen to a song with fresh ears? You've heard it a million times but sometimes you listen extra hard. That was last night. I love the soaring violins. Also the line: Time grabs you by the wrist directs you where to go

Wasn't it played at Princess Diana's funeral? Or am I confusing it with news montages or something...

I've had those moments too, it's great to just listen to a song as if you've never heard it before. :)

And that must've been a montage, because she died about 6 weeks before Nimrod was released (my God, I can't believe both her death and this single's release were that long ago!).

And that must've been a montage, because she died about 6 weeks before Nimrod was released (my God, I can't believe both her death and this single's release were that long ago!).

Yeah, thinking about it, I don't even know why I got that in my head! I can't see them busting it through the speakers in Westminster Abbey :lol:

Oh gosh. That's exactly what happened to me, when I couldn't sleep, I just got my Ipod playing, and that song just started played.. :wub: I was feeling everything on the song... Every instrument, every word, and thinking about moments at the concert :cry:

I saw this thread yesterday. Then I took the bus to the movies and put my mp4 on shuffle. First Song? Good Riddance (insomniac version). A few songs later, appeared Good Riddance (nimrod version) :lol:

I saw this thread yesterday. Then I took the bus to the movies and put my mp4 on shuffle. First Song? Good Riddance (insomniac version). A few songs later, appeared Good Riddance (nimrod version) :lol:

I have never heard the Insomniac b-side version, does anyone know where i can find it?

Best version of the song I've ever heard :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6U-3_xnjDg

:) That's the same as the vid in the OP :lol:. It's pretty funny. And I think it's especially amazing that Billie can still keep the crowd happy even when he's such a mess. You just know he had to go backstage and throw up after that!

I seem to be the only person who doesn't like watching drunk Billie on stage :P

I don't like it either... but I can't avoid laughing for his face of "OMG, I'M GONNA THROW UP!", "I can't put my fingers in the right way" and "remember the lyrics!!!"

I'm way too tired to write out my thoughts on this song and all my feelings and stories attached to it but I'll leave ye with one story.

We were watching MTV World Stage for the first time and I hear the first second of Good Riddance and shout "nooooooooo" I was so absorbed. My heart was wrenching that the show was going to end.

...Then I realised I was in my sitting room... :lol:

Archived