I Was There

J'net

This week's Song of the Week is I Was There. Someone suggested it was a good song for looking back over the year, so here it is to wind up an incredible 2009. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours was originally released on April 19, 1991 (by Lookout! Records) and later re-released by Reprise. This is the only Green Day album that features John Kiffmeyer (as Al Sobrante) playing drums on every song. In addition, this song was written by Kiffmeyer.

My thoughts this week revolve more around what it personally means to me right now than what the lyrics in general mean. Just thinking back on 2009 and how many amazing experiences I had (many of them shared with an incredible number of people from this forum) – I realize that life can be entirely surprising at times. And while there is a little of the feeling that, "I want to make it last," there's more of that, "There's lots more life to live," and I'm looking forward to seeing what 2010 will bring. I'm delighted that I have such a lovely group of people here at GDC to share it with.

Here's a youtube audio file with a picture of the album cover for you to look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPryi35nog

I Was There Lyrics

Looking back upon my life

And the places that I've been

Pictures, faces, girls I've loved

I try to remember when

Faded memories on the wall

some names I have forgotten

But each one is a memory I

Look back on so often

I look into the past

I want to make it last

I was there

I look into the past

I want to make it last

I was there

Looking back what I have done

There's lots more life to live

At times I feel overwhelmed

I question what I can give

But I don't let it get me down

Or cause me too much sorrow

There's no doubt about who I am

I always have tomorrow

I look into the past

I want to make it last

I was there

I look into the past

I want to make it last

I was there

<Looking back upon my life>

On my life

<Faded memories on the wall>

On the wall

<Looking now at who I am>

Who am I?

<I don't let it get me down>

Why should I let it get me down?

Looking back upon my life

And the places that I've been

Pictures, faces, girls I've loved

I try to remember when

I always have tomorrow

I look into the past

I want to make it last

I was there

I look into the past

I want to make it last

I was there

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, i just adore this song.

Excellent choice for SOTW,

"I question what I can give, but I don't let it get me down

or cause me too much sorrow. There's no doubt about who I am

I always have tomorrow."

:wub:

Yes! I love this song!

I played this so many times when I was finally down with middle school.

i quite like the lyrics to this one. the only song that john wrote, i believe.

It's the only one I'm aware of - but he could have written others that didn't get recorded.

It's the only one I'm aware of - but he could have written others that didn't get recorded.

yeah i guess thats likely. i actually like john, he seemed a decent drummer, and he could obviously put some decent lyrics together too.

Nice song, I've always liked it, nothing special or something, but it's nice :)

This is the first time I read its lyrics, or at least reading them really trying to understand the song, I only understood about half of the lyrics by listening (as usual, haha) and never bothered to look them up. They're nice.

Yeah, I think I said the word 'nice' a bit too often there.

For some reason I always thought Road To Acceptance was written by John, and not this one. No idea why.

Well, you learn something new every day :happy:

I never knew it wasn't written by Billie.

I used to listen to this song a lot, now not so much.

When I was getting into Green Day, there was only 4 or 5 songs off of 1039 that I listened to. 'I was there' was among them :)

This song seems to always get stuck in my head. Here it is again. Gah!

In any case, I freakin love this song. The lyrics are awesome. John was a more than decent songwriter.

There's no chance of them ever playing this one live again, though. :(

Ooh, definitely a cool song to end off the year, reflect back and look forward :)

I've got to admit, the pre-Dookie albums have until very recently been seriously underplayed on my ipod, so I've never really paid proper attention to this song or its lyrics before.

Reading the lyrics now it definitely seems fitting for me, and 2009. I had the most incredible experience studying and then backpacking solo around Spain in January and February. The entire rest of the year I've spent thinking back on that time, remembering the things I saw, and did, people I met, wishing I could go back [lots of that], wondering when I'll next manage to be there, and also looking ahead to my next major travel adventure.

"I look into the past, I want to make it last, I was there" just fits perfectly.

And now I've got the exact same thing going on after the amazing times I've just had seeing Green Day in Australia and at home.

Great choice for this time of year!

This is going to sound really ridiculous, and I know it is, so no need to point out but because John wrote this, I have a slight block towards it. Not a block as in it keeps me from listening to it or enjoying it but just a kind of... "I wish he hadn't wrote it" feeling.

:lol: I'm such an idiot.

Anyways I adore this song and the lyrics are just insanely beautiful.

Looking back what I have done

There's lots more life to live

At times I feel overwhelmed

I question what I can give

I always have tomorrow

Looking now at who I aaaaaammm -

Who am I?

Wait, so only John wrote this, Billie didn't cowrite it with him or anything?

I often wonder if Billie Joe did have a part in writing this song. I think he may have. It's not like they were super careful with the crediting or whatever.

Then again it's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I've never been a huge fan of this song. I think the "there" gets dragged on a bit annoyingly. I dunno, I think this album has a lot more to offfer than this.

Great choice for this time of year!

This is going to sound really ridiculous, and I know it is, so no need to point out but because John wrote this, I have a slight block towards it. Not a block as in it keeps me from listening to it or enjoying it but just a kind of... "I wish he hadn't wrote it" feeling.

:lol: I'm such an idiot.

I often wonder if Billie Joe did have a part in writing this song. I think he may have. It's not like they were super careful with the crediting or whatever.

Then again it's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I know what you mean. Still, I just remind myself that John was really helpful to Mike and Billie and even though he did eventually abandon them, he gave them their start, and for that I am eternally grateful. Plus, if he hadn't have left them we would have never had Tre. :)

I can definitely understand kind of having a block toward this song. However, I'm a huge fan of I Was There. The lyrics are perfect to reflect back on what a wonderful year we had. We got a new Green Day album and many of us had the pleasure of seeing the boys live. For me, this song pretty much sums all of that up. :happy:

Ooh, probably my 2nd favorite on SOSH. Great song choice, and I agree with you J'Net. I haven't had as many experiences with the band as you did this year, but I sure look back fondly on my concert, and I'm glad I found this site to talk to you all. :D

i never knew John wrote this.

Great song, really true and holds true for everyone

its great to look back on experiences and think "hey, i really was there!"

It took me quite a while to get into this song. When I finally did, it was the coolest fucking thing

I'm proud that I actually knew John wrote this.

I have to say, not my favorite. But I don't enjoy SOSH much anyways.

Or Kerplunk for that matter, but that's pretty irrelevant right now.

John is actually a pretty good writer in my opinion. Good song, pretty catchy tbh.

It's funny that John wrote this, because the lyrics are so much like Billie's lyrics from that era.

Archived