Questions for John Roecker

thoroughlyme

Guest jetblackheart

I just hope he doesn't hate us already. :lol: GD fans can be quite... I can't even find a word for it. Obsessive? :rolleyes:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ask him if he's sick of getting asked questions about Green Day.

haha I second that.

Maybe you should ask him if he likes cheese.

Ask him if he's sick of getting asked questions about Green Day.

That should be the main question. I could probably answer that one for him, just as most of us close bitches can.

Ask the "getting sick of Green Day questions" question, then ask how it was like to work with Green Day. :thumbsup:

Ask the "getting sick of Green Day questions" question, then ask how it was like to work with Green Day. :thumbsup:

:lol: definitely do this

haha I second that.

Maybe you should ask him if he likes cheese.

You guys really need to stop with the cheese stuff lately.

alright, i have sent the questions to him

I would have waited a day or so if I were you. You get a better pool of questions when you wait longer because more people have time to give input. Oh well. I look forward to his answers.

I would have waited a day or so if I were you. You get a better pool of questions when you wait longer because more people have time to give input. Oh well. I look forward to his answers.

Yeah, I didn't wanna ask him too many, i had a good number of my own, and there were some good ones posted here already. So I just used those.

Awesome, can't wait to see his answers.

Me too.

I look forward to reading the interview.

oh this is a simple one.

"oh my dear beloved black pope, now that you are single, will you please take my hand in marriage?"

no in all seriousness, i want to ask him what most inspired him to become an 'artist'.

and what he is most excited about us seeing when "Svengali" comes out on the tube!

and if he's ready to take that Charlie puppet out of his closet and sell it yet. i'd give a couple organs for it

That should be the main question. I could probably answer that one for him, just as most of us close bitches can.

I'm gonna go out on a big limb and say it's a big fat honkin YES

I don't consider myself all that close to him, but I can answer that fookin' question easily.

I got the answers to the questions, so what follows are the questions followed by the answers.

Me: For starters, if you don't mind Id like to ask you a couple of silly questions.

John: I do mind thank you.

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when I say “Ice Cream Banana Phone’s Single?”

Being molested by a loved one

How many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

I have no idea but I once poked Peter Piper with my prick. There is a sex scandal tape out there somewhere to prove it.

Why did Humpty Dumpty fall off the wall?

Because sometimes talking Eggs that wear crowns can be suicidal just like me and you.

What made Jack and Jill run down the hill?

Liberace with a chainsaw running after them comes to mind. He dies because of a watermelon diet he was on.

Which would you rather eat: a dead skunk or a human eyeball?

Depends if I could skull fuck the socket where the eyeball came from there by making me completely hungry to devour a human eyeball. Oh and if the skunk wants to watch me skull fuck then I would eat him also. I love an audience.

On to some more serious questions, is there any exciting news you'd like to share?

Yes, I have two projects that are coming out that I am very proud of. One is a series for the web and DVD called SVENGALI! Starring Tim Armstrong from RANCID and Mikey Brannon and ME! It is a detective show that will have every one of your orifices dripping with joy. Also I have a short called "They're All Out without you." It is a mini film of scenes cut from my Green Day film. It also stars Mikey Brannon as Jesus of Suburbia and Ashleigh Darkbloom as Whatshername. I am very proud of this and it makes me cry every time I watch it.

What made you want to be a filmmaker?

I always wanted to make films since I was a kid but thought it was impossible. I never had the confidence to make them until later when I lost lots of my friends and I said fuck it I am just going to make films. I never made films that had a home before hand. I just make them and hope they will come out. Looking at all of the thousands of film makers out there I consider myself lucky but if I hear the word "Indie Director" again I am going to vomit.

Are there any directors whose work you respect?

Oh god so many- I usually love directors before they have lots of money and have to use their imagination instead of a large bank roll. Danny Boyle is one of my favorites because each of his films are completely different then his others. I envy that. Not to say that I am a Johnny one note but he is incredible.

What were your favorite movies as a child? And now?

I loved Universal Horror Films. I would stay up all night to watch them the days before cable those movies would only play at 2 in the morning. They would be done when the sun came up and then I would go to school tired but inspired. I guess I always identified with monsters because I always felt like one. Movies I love right now "Martyrs" "The Fall" Perfume Story of a Murderer" once again too many to name but I will say this. Film is the only medium right now that is still going strong. Not so much for music and art.

How has the punk scene changed since you entered it?

Ha! Well, they sell records now. Punk music I thought was never going to be mainstream it seemed impossible so it was just a few chosen misfits that saw these bands play or buy their records. There are only a few new punk bands that I like the rest sounds like pop to me. Kind of like Country music. It is not Country it is Pop so hopefully one day there will be a wave of traditional punk bands that will emerge but I won’t hold my breath.

What gave you the inspiration to make Live Freaky Die Freaky?

I was thinking of doing a film about how people are so easily lead by religion without actually investigating it. It seems people spend more time test driving a car then they do about their faith. So it is basically my view on how religion is evil and can cause more harm then good. And Charlie Manson seemed the perfect way to get my over the top view across.

What was it like working with all the rock stars and Tim Armstrong in Live Freaky Die Freaky?

It is funny I never thought of Tim as a rock star but I guess he is in a way. What I love about Tim is he creates his own completion by helping out other artist. He has done it for so many and myself included words cannot express how much I owe him. And working with the other people was amazing. I look at it this way. Everyone in the film I respect on so many levels and when they were doing the film and loving it was the biggest praise I could get. So it didn't matter if the whole world thought of it as shit they loved it (or they were just saying that because they are afraid of me).

What was it like filming the Network DVD?

That was an amazing a spur of the moment show and shoot. Just got the cameras and shot one of the best shows I have ever seen. Also Warner legal department gave me lots of shit about legal visuals and I replaced them with hidden horrific things that would deem the concert film to be triple X rated. Some clever people have found some of them but Warners has not. It would be pulled from the shelves if they knew.

I know you probably get this question a lot and are sick of hearing it, but is there any chance of Heart like a Hand Grenade getting a DVD release? Is Warner being a pain in this process?

It will come out and I think sooner then later. I have been discussing it with Billie and I think the time is coming. I think with the release of the short is going to help it immensely because they both go together. I am so proud of HLAHG it will make them into legends. When you see them record, write, and perform you just cannot believe a band like this can exist.

Also, there were rumors that a 10th anniversary for American Idiot was being planned and it might include HLAHG. Any comment on that?

I think that is the worst idea I have ever heard. Green Day is not Fleetwood Mac.

On the Green Day related note, what can you tell us about your short “They're All Out Without You”? How closely does it follow the plotline of American Idiot?

Originally HLAHG was going to follow the band and also a couple who meet and fall in love at the same time as the album was being recorded. But it didn't work because of the length of the film. It killed me to cut it but I knew it had to go. So a little while back I discovered the footage and Dean and I cut it in one day and it made perfect sense. This is truly one of the best things I have ever done and like I told Billie no band except Green Day could ever have gotten away with it. Because it is honest and raw statement on love both good and bad. The characters is my interpretation of the people in the album and then some.

Do you think there's the possibility of Green Day ever asking you to direct one of their music videos? What would you say if they did?

No because I am not pretty enough. I would not do a video for them because I have already done what I can with them. If you use the same people things tend to get stale and you need to find fresh blood to get your creative juices going. But I feel fortunate enough to have been the only person to be with them in the studio and I did it for love and not money hear that Mr. Sam Bayer?

When/where did you meet Billie Joe?

God funny Billie and I were talking about that and we could not recall the day. It just seemed like we were both in each other's life and there was no beginning or end. I have a great memory and this amazes me that I do not remember. Funny last night I told Billie never to forget me and he said I would never forget you John I am like an elephant's graveyard. SO I take that as a good thing.

Are you getting sick of being asked questions about Green Day?

No I love the band. They are like my family and will always be part of my life. You have no idea how important my relationship is with Billie Joe. We are still part of each others life and it is a bond cemented in artistic and friendship. It would be like asking me do I get bored of breathing.

Out of any current musicians (by current I mean still making music or touring) which would you like to work with, and why?

White Stripes hands down. Brilliant music look and style. I would have said MUSE last year but that new record is like a pile of shit on an old Queen Record.

Do you have any new projects in the works; aside from “They're All Out Without You”?

Hey I told you Svengali and also a Documentary called Satan goes to Hollywood where my friend Lisa have compiled 300 films dealing with the devil, Satan worship possession, etc. It shows Hollywood's take of the dark side.

Do you have any idea, when, or if, a new Network CD will be out?

When I tell them to. Remember I am still their manager.

And one last question: If you could transport yourself to any time, past or future, what time would it be, and why?

It would be the year 1977 in Los Angeles during the summer and I would be with Mikey Brannon and Harlow Cuadra so I could show them how I lived my life and share it with them.

Thank you for giving up your time and doing this. I wish you all the best of luck with whatever the future holds for you.

Thanks Michael can we cuddle now.

^I love the way he talks about the band. I had no idea they were that close.

Overall great read :)

Aaaah, great read. :D

And amazing news about HLAHG. :woot:

And fuck him for not giving us an Omega 3000 release date. :cry:

Great read, and I like the news about HLAHG. :D

I didn't know either they were that close.

What was it like filming the Network DVD?

That was an amazing a spur of the moment show and shoot. Just got the cameras and shot one of the best shows I have ever seen. Also Warner legal department gave me lots of shit about legal visuals and I replaced them with hidden horrific things that would deem the concert film to be triple X rated. Some clever people have found some of them but Warners has not. It would be pulled from the shelves if they knew.

this really sparked my interest. i watch Disease is Punishment more often than i should, so im aware of those "hidden horrific things"

however i still haven't figured out what they were covering up from the concert.

does anyone want to clue me in? this is going to keep me up for the next few thousand nights of my life.

I know you probably get this question a lot and are sick of hearing it, but is there any chance of Heart like a Hand Grenade getting a DVD release? Is Warner being a pain in this process?

It will come out and I think sooner then later. I have been discussing it with Billie and I think the time is coming. I think with the release of the short is going to help it immensely because they both go together. I am so proud of HLAHG it will make them into legends. When you see them record, write, and perform you just cannot believe a band like this can exist.

Do you have any new projects in the works; aside from “They're All Out Without You”?

Hey I told you Svengali and also a Documentary called Satan goes to Hollywood where my friend Lisa have compiled 300 films dealing with the devil, Satan worship possession, etc. It shows Hollywood's take of the dark side.

Do you have any idea, when, or if, a new Network CD will be out?

When I tell them to. Remember I am still their manager.

YES. JUST YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

That was a really great interview, thanks! :)

John is awesome, he cracks me up and his work is pure genius.

& I agree with everyone, amazing news about HLAHG!

Archived