21 Guns Goes Gold

Jason Alvarez

It did alright. I think they should have released it as their 2nd last single. It would have done better that way. Or released it as their 3rd one or something.

Wow, it didn't think'd make it gold, but it's goo that it did. Hopefully EJN goes at least platinum, it's better than 21 Guns.

As awesome as the performance was (bridge part!) it's sad to see that no one really cared afterwards.

Yeah I think itll do better than 21 guns.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon EJK is better than 21guns....so in that i way i think it will do better (well i hope) but im just wondering whether it actually will do better..as its not being released as a single in some countries (mine for instance) so do you think that will affect it?

EDIT: I just happened to read a little too late...'21 guns goes gold, IN THE USA'

aha. woops, my comment has no value now.

its gold, and yet barely anyone in england knows who green day is anymore.

its gold, and yet barely anyone in england knows who green day is anymore.

It's gold in the USA. The UK tour should help matters!

I think it's quite good actually, in the Greenday.com It's reported that it got gold for U.S digital sales ... In Italy the song is one of the most played on the radio and luckily no one has forgot who Green Day are.

It's gold in the USA. The UK tour should help matters!

possibly, but i doubt it.

So negative. Why is the UK tour sold out if no one knows who they are?

They'll probably do some publicity in England too, and they have that awesome art show!

Congrats Green Day.

But as far as "popularity"

My radio station used to have these countdowns in '05 where Green Day would ALWAYS, and I repeat, ALWAYS be number one or two.

It stayed like that until late '06, and now that they are back, I have never 21 guns on there.

Or any of their other singles.

And that's all that my town listens to, so no one here cares about them.

No one even knows that they have a new album.

I hate my fucking town :dry:

Same here. The promotion in the UK has been shitty. Where I live, there was a good amount of promotion. The weirdest thing was probably a 21CB poster in Walmart.

My radio station used to have these countdowns in '05 where Green Day would ALWAYS, and I repeat, ALWAYS be number one or two.

It stayed like that until late '06, and now that they are back, I have never heard them on there.

And that's all that my town listens to, so no one here cares about them.

No one even knows that they have a new album.

I hate my fucking town :dry:

Really? Over where I live BOB FM plays KYE and 21 Guns like once a day (station has rule that a song can only be played once a day) and I hear KYE all the time on the other rock station. I also think I heard Murder City once (nevermind, that was my iPhone :P) Also, it was havoc at school. Almost everyone was talking about it. One guy slapped another because they pre-ordered the deluxe edition (and got the pre-order bonus songs).

I have to confirm that in Europe the promotion has been shitty. With AI they were almost everywhere, they came in Italy twice for TRL (two of the most embarrassing tv appearence Green Day have ever made, because of the host that barely could tell a word in english ), they did a special live show for Mtv, and they were interviewed by every musical tv or radio. I don't get this strategy: the videos are on tv but no one seems to care :mad:

It doesn't really matter if its gold or not. Green Day is still going unnoticed by the public at this point regardless.

I have a theory as to why nobody cares. Because the AI era is over. The reason AI did so well, is because their style was "in" at the time. They came out, and people took notice. And a lot of those people hadn't a fucking clue what "Dookie" even was. That's how the teen scene is flown. Years following AI, Green Day gets the "emo", "posers" and a whole bunch of other bullshit labels put on them. A lot of the teens consider you a "loser" for liking Green Day now, for whatever fucking reasons. After 2005, they were out of the spot light until 2009, and all their new found teeny bopper fans moved on to something different. The album isn't being properly promoted, because no one (well, I shouldn't say "no one", but a lot of the AI fans and the trend setters just don't give GD the attention they did in 2004/2005) cares about them. Hell, even the rock scene that I HATED (MCR, FOB, PATD, etc.) back during that time aren't nearly as popular as they once were. The God damn Jonas Brothers are losing popularity now. Besides Kings of Leon and Nickelback, (who's popularity will surely simmer down) what "rock" acts are on the radio? And I don't mean modern day rock stations, which are scarce in themselves, but just the radio in general. Back in 04, 05, and even 06, I would turn on Kiss 98.5 (a popular radio station in Buffalo that plays "popular" music) and always hear Boulevard of Broken Dreams or Wake Me Up When September Ends. Constanly. To the point where I thought of suicide. I turn that same station on now in 2009, and maybe, if I'm lucky, once in a VERY blue moon hear 21 Guns. Because they're not what's "in" anymore. My suggestion to increase sales and popularity, as I've stated in a previous thread, is to release Restless Heart Syndrome and Last Night On Earth as the remaing singles. Those are the closest things to teenybopper magnets that Green Day has up their sleeves right now. And as much as I hate it, selling to teeny boppers is what sells. Sad, but true. Is there anything on the God damn Billboard 200 that really deserves to be there? Is "I Am Sasha Ballz" or whatever really more deserving of the top stop than 21cb? God I hope not. Because I would need years, and years of thearpy to understand that. This album deserves to be recognized just as much, Hell, even more than AI. We all know that. If it didn't, I would fully admit that this album was a failure. But it wasn't. It did justice for many, many, many, Green Day fans. And if I have to sell my soul to the teenyboppers to boost these albums sales, by golly, let's do it.

I have a theory as to why nobody cares.

It would seem they're selling an awful lot of albums (and singles) to people who don't care then.

I've said it before here, I'll say it again: the further we get into the Obama administration and the more the left (and center-left) realizes that: (1) he's just a man who's doing what he can within the confines of our fucked up political system; (2) that he is in fact not the Jesus Christ figure that he was (unwisely) elevated to during the election campaign last year; and (3) that there are still a ton of existence-threatening problems in the world that big business, the fanatical right-wingnuts, and foreign dictators would rather *not* have someone tackle, the more 21CB will be recognized for what it is: a work of prophetic brilliance.

I have a theory as to why nobody cares. Because the AI era is over. The reason AI did so well, is because their style was "in" at the time. They came out, and people took notice. And a lot of those people hadn't a fucking clue what "Dookie" even was. That's how the teen scene is flown. Years following AI, Green Day gets the "emo", "posers" and a whole bunch of other bullshit labels put on them. A lot of the teens consider you a "loser" for liking Green Day now, for whatever fucking reasons. After 2005, they were out of the spot light until 2009, and all their new found teeny bopper fans moved on to something different. The album isn't being properly promoted, because no one (well, I shouldn't say "no one", but a lot of the AI fans and the trend setters just don't give GD the attention they did in 2004/2005) cares about them. Hell, even the rock scene that I HATED (MCR, FOB, PATD, etc.) back during that time aren't nearly as popular as they once were. The God damn Jonas Brothers are losing popularity now. Besides Kings of Leon and Nickelback, (who's popularity will surely simmer down) what "rock" acts are on the radio? And I don't mean modern day rock stations, which are scarce in themselves, but just the radio in general. Back in 04, 05, and even 06, I would turn on Kiss 98.5 (a popular radio station in Buffalo that plays "popular" music) and always hear Boulevard of Broken Dreams or Wake Me Up When September Ends. Constanly. To the point where I thought of suicide. I turn that same station on now in 2009, and maybe, if I'm lucky, once in a VERY blue moon hear 21 Guns. Because they're not what's "in" anymore. My suggestion to increase sales and popularity, as I've stated in a previous thread, is to release Restless Heart Syndrome and Last Night On Earth as the remaing singles. Those are the closest things to teenybopper magnets that Green Day has up their sleeves right now. And as much as I hate it, selling to teeny boppers is what sells. Sad, but true. Is there anything on the God damn Billboard 200 that really deserves to be there? Is "I Am Sasha Ballz" or whatever really more deserving of the top stop than 21cb? God I hope not. Because I would need years, and years of thearpy to understand that. This album deserves to be recognized just as much, Hell, even more than AI. We all know that. If it didn't, I would fully admit that this album was a failure. But it wasn't. It did justice for many, many, many, Green Day fans. And if I have to sell my soul to the teenyboppers to boost these albums sales, by golly, let's do it.

This.

This makes me want to fucking have a break down.

I hate what this world has come to!

Green Day deserves so much better than this!!!

They worked their fucking asses off, and I'm sure that they thought that the world would still be listening, as it has only been 5 years, but NO, that's how terrible it's gotten! 5 years later, and people don't even remember who they are. It's absolutely excruciating knowing that the success of 21st CB will be nothin like AI unless Green Day only releases their slowest or poppiest songs, because they worked harder on this than any other album.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I definitely agree. It's not that important if Green Day goes gold, platinum or whatever. What I'm concerned about is that this album is not receiving the credit that certainly deserves. The singles strategy didn't helped to boost the sales, aside 21Guns the other singles don't fit the radios taste and the teeny taste, that is basically the same shitty taste. The songs you've mentioned might help the sales, you' re right, but to follow this path would really make Green Day "sell out". This album doesn't have songs like BOBD or WMUWSE, its more complex, less immediate but this is a blessing because that means Green Day have matured and differently from what people thinks they have build a big project that goes beyond the music. I prefer them to follow their belifs and put out meaningful songs like 21CB or EJN then to sell theirselves to radios. :mellow:

I think you're absolutely right, unfortunately. Radio is in a sad state these days, but it's still important for success, and I noticed the same trends you did with BOBD/WMUWSE and now...nothing.

I think you're absolutely right, unfortunately. Radio is in a sad state these days, but it's still important for success, and I noticed the same trends you did with BOBD/WMUWSE and now...nothing.

Who the fuck listens to AM/FM radio anymore? It's all Satellite (XM-Sirius) or MP3. (<---Metaphor peeps!)

Who the fuck listens to AM/FM radio anymore? It's all Satellite (XM-Sirius) or MP3. (<---Metaphor peeps!)

Well, I don't because I'm poor as shit and terrestrial radio is free (and since it paid my family's bills for many years, it seems natural we'd stick with it) :)

And XM/Sirius is not profitable at all, hence the merger, so I guess not that many people are listening to it! :lol:

They're still winning many awards, which is wonderful!

I think 21 Guns brought them back, and I don't know who could not find 21CB catchy and awesome, not to mention powerful!

I think they have a great shot at winning some Grammys!

Archived