Drama Queen!

J'net

I never said that said, I said that they are turning a very sweet song into a evil one, but I never said that now I think it's evil I still think it's sweet

Okay, so that was a misunderstanding. It´s a sweet song. And I love all the different possibilities of interpretation.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@inthehallwaynow:

It´s not a "problem", as you might suggest. It´s just, the closer you look, the more interpretations you can find. Even if BJ hadn´t meant it to be ambigious. I remember from another forum that the line "she holds my malakite so tight" from "2000 lightyears away" lead to some weird interpretations...

Ive always thought that lyric was about his eyes cause malachite is a green mineral and billie joes eyes are green i took it as she holds my stare so tight kinda thing and ok not problem more of an annoying nuisance

I don't get it, isn't the song is from ¡Tré? so how come this topic started in 2009? I'm confuse...

Okay, so that was a misunderstanding. It´s a sweet song. And I love all the different possibilities of interpretation.

Correcting myself. The song is sung in a sweet way. Like a lullaby. But it´s everything else but a sweet lullaby...

I don't get it, isn't the song is from ¡Tré? so how come this topic started in 2009? I'm confuse...

Drama Queen was first played live in 2009, and people thought it would be on 21st Century Breakdown, but they removed it and released it on ¡Tré!.

Drama Queen was first played live in 2009, and people thought it would be on 21st Century Breakdown, but they removed it and released it on ¡Tré!.

Thanks for the info :)

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought this song was about about a gorgeous model who was used as a sexual object since childhood. So therefore she lost her innocence and is trying to find god in a weary world. She struggles with problems (perhaps anorexia and attempted suicide), eventually though she gives up all hope and feels like she's going psycho due to her abuse and other problems in her life.

"She is so wild and reckless" - this is pretty simple, just describing the girl

"She dangles from her necklace"- somebody already said it but I think this is a metaphor for trying hanging herself, if this is true then it's a fantastic metaphor because the way she's judged solely on her looks and the self hatered meet perfectly here

"Daddy's little bundle of joy out of a magazine"- I think this means the girl was once or is close with her father. Out of a magazine I believe is just stating she works as a model

"Everyone's drama queen is old enough to bleed now" - I cracked up when a few people thought its about her period, well fuck it could be knowing Billie. Anyway I just think it means that the girls old enough to experience life and reap what she sows and take responsibility for her actions. She's not a little kid.

"Her life is now unfolding"- same as old enough to bleed now, except for a more literal meaning

"Hey little drama queen, did you find your savior?"- the girl here is trying to find meaning in her life, trying to find god. The narrator (Billie) asks her this somewhat cruelly, so we can assume she didn't do this in a very nice way :/

"Everyone's drama queen I think she's going psycho"- after the pain she been through the girl finally snaps and stats to go psycho.

Or maybe I'm reading into it.....

Exactly. These are my exact thoughts put into a more organized manner, I have quite the cluttered mind.

For me this song talks about how will it be if Billie would actually had a daughter, i think he wrote that song from that perspective, but anyhow, he´s the only who knows the real meaning so i really don´t care, but i really love this song!!!! i was so happy when they said that it will be in the trilogy, it had a sound very "beatles" and that´s what i love the most, one of my favorites!!!!!

Billie gave some insight into Drama Queen in the Q Magazine cover story GD had around the time 21CB was released (back when Drama Queen was still going to be released on 21CB:) "It's about obsession with celebrity and watching people self-destruct. A lot of Americans have a tabloid addiction. Am I guilty of that? Yeah."

Because of this description, I've always kind of speculated that the song was influenced by Miley Cyrus. Billie was photographed with his kids at a Hannah Montana concert in 2007, so he was definitely aware of her at the time, and I could see Billie taking Cyrus' tabloid history into account when writing Drama Queen.

Billie gave some insight into Drama Queen in the Q Magazine cover story GD had around the time 21CB was released (back when Drama Queen was still going to be released on 21CB:) "It's about obsession with celebrity and watching people self-destruct. A lot of Americans have a tabloid addiction. Am I guilty of that? Yeah."

Because of this description, I've always kind of speculated that the song was influenced by Miley Cyrus. Billie was photographed with his kids at a Hannah Montana concert in 2007, so he was definitely aware of her at the time, and I could see Billie taking Cyrus' tabloid history into account when writing Drama Queen.

Really...?

I really love the way he sings this song! His voice just makes me shiver! :wub:

Archived