American Eulogy

J'net

When Mike sings I can picture a crowd mosh riot perfectly.

One of my Top 3 favourite songs.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike singing is just great!

His voice :wub:

I like the mix of "I don't wanna live in the modern world (mass hysteria)" I like it very much!

I din't pay too much notice on it at first but now I like it,especially at the end where it combines the two titles.. :D

when i first heard it, i couldn`t understand, who`s singing the ''Modern World'' part, and after few times of hearing it, i did and now my favorite part is Mike`s singing.

I love the part mike is singing. I don´t think he sings better than billie, but the little piece he sings there i just lovely :rolleyes:

I love this song, and the title is epic. I think it's a nice tie-up to the album, the way they repeated lines from Song of the Century.

"Because the martyr is a compulsive liar" is a great line.

I'm a bit iffy on the second part. I'm not gonna lie, I like Mike, but call me a fan girl, but I prefer when Billie sings. I think his voice is much more powerful and trained from his years of experience. I would have loved to hear Billie sing the lyrics on the second part, especially these lines:

"I can hear the sound of

A beating heart

That bleeds beyond a system

That's falling apart"

I think he would have done a wonderful job.

I heart this song, though I used to hate it.

The "there's disturbance on the ocean side, the tapped into the reserve." is one of my favourite parts, and Mike's part is awesome too.

<3333333

I looove that song!!

I particularly enjoy when Mike sings.

And that also reminds me when I got on stage with them during that song ... :]

"I don't want to live in the modern world"

So what are you gonna do, kill yourself?

Epic track. The two parts are stitched together very neatly. Yeah, Mass Hysteria sounds a little like Church on Sunday but so what? The lyrics, the tempo, and the variations in the rhythm and the melody all kick ass, as of course does Tre's furious drumbeat. I think the only thing missing is a stronger bass line from Mike -- it's in there, but not as "foreground" or powerful as I might have preferred.

Lyrically, the reference to "True sounds of maniacal laughter/and the deaf-mute's misleading the choir" references elements of at least three other tracks on the album -- Christian's Inferno (the "maniacal laughter" between the verses), the "choir" we'd heard about in KYE, EJN, and Little Girl -- and the imagery of everything that's wrong with our leadership that these two short verses conjure up is just superb.

This one has turned out to be one of my favorites on the album.

Epic track. The two parts are stitched together very neatly. Yeah, Mass Hysteria sounds a little like Church on Sunday but so what? The lyrics, the tempo, and the variations in the rhythm and the melody all kick ass, as of course does Tre's furious drumbeat. I think the only thing missing is a stronger bass line from Mike -- it's in there, but not as "foreground" or powerful as I might have preferred.

Lyrically, the reference to "True sounds of maniacal laughter/and the deaf-mute's misleading the choir" references elements of at least three other tracks on the album -- Christian's Inferno (the "maniacal laughter" between the verses), the "choir" we'd heard about in KYE, EJN, and Little Girl -- and the imagery of everything that's wrong with our leadership that these two short verses conjure up is just superb.

This one has turned out to be one of my favorites on the album.

u are so right. I love this song

So what are you gonna do, kill yourself?

Wouldn't be the first time that Green Day has implied or threatened suicide in their lyrics. This question is raised directly in H&H, -- "Demolition/Self Destruction/What to annhilate/This age-old contradiction" .... I take that to mean: "where do I direct all this rage that's building in me? Do I take it out on everything around me (demolition), or do I turn it inward and remove myself from this whole mess (self destruction/suicide)?"

I love this song, and the title is epic. I think it's a nice tie-up to the album, the way they repeated lines from Song of the Century.

"Because the martyr is a compulsive liar" is a great line.

I'm a bit iffy on the second part. I'm not gonna lie, I like Mike, but call me a fan girl, but I prefer when Billie sings. I think his voice is much more powerful and trained from his years of experience. I would have loved to hear Billie sing the lyrics on the second part, especially these lines:

"I can hear the sound of

A beating heart

That bleeds beyond a system

That's falling apart"

I think he would have done a wonderful job.

I can't agree with that. Mike's vocals bring this....punk quality to the song, one that we haven't heard from Billie in quite a while.

I was listening to the Mass Hysteria part of this song and my mum walked in the room. She started laughing and put on a cheesy American accent and said "oh let's get serious honey, maybe we can get to second base!" then started saying the song was so corny and mocking it. I was like what are you on about?! She thought it said "let's get serious", not "mass hysteria" :lol:

Oh and Mike's singing is fabulous :happy:. I don't give a shit about the modern age! - :woot: best part of the song.

I feel like "I don't give a shit" should be "I don't give a fuck". And I don't know why. It makes no practical difference but every time I listen to it I feel like he got the wrong word. "I don't give a shit" fits better in a song like Longview. I really can't explain it but I am a profanity connoisseur and I know they got it wrong.

Other than that, this may be my favorite song on the album.

I can't agree with that. Mike's vocals bring this....punk quality to the song, one that we haven't heard from Billie in quite a while.

To each his own.

Great song, love the fact there's two parts of the song. I think I prefer Modern World better..I like the harmony in it. Although I've learned most of the words now and it's fun to sing along to both parts because they're so fast.

I feel like "I don't give a shit" should be "I don't give a fuck". And I don't know why. It makes no practical difference but every time I listen to it I feel like he got the wrong word. "I don't give a shit" fits better in a song like Longview. I really can't explain it but I am a profanity connoisseur and I know they got it wrong.

Other than that, this may be my favorite song on the album.

Wierd, I thought it was the perfect word. It makes the line flow, if you know what I mean. Although using the word 'fuck' would have made it sound angrier.

witty and smart lyrics, awesome guitar playing, plus Mike singing

How can this not be the most EPIC song on the album???

The lyrics are well thought out and I love Mike's vocals because it brings a punkier vibe to it.

not great but i love the transition part "america is falling, vigilantes warning ya, calling chrisitan and gloria!!" :D

This song is fantastique. This song helped project Mike's voice like I've never heard before. The ending is pretty rad as well.

"I don't give a shit about the modern age!" :D

Love Mike's part, I love the end bit where they're both singing actually.

Mike's singing reminds me of the rawness of the Clash. I want to hear Mike sing I fought the Law now.

great song and i think mike did really well singing most of the 2nd part! i love at think end where the lyrics "i dont wana live in a modern world" and "mass hysteria" are just mushed together and just kind of fade out

Archived