Last Night on Earth

J'net

the lines "if i lost everything in the fire" really get to me. Christian is the Fire, and he's already seeing that he's so destructive that he may cause

his own demise. He just wants her to know that no matter what happens, he loves her and he'll hopefully make it through so they can be together.

But he knows that he's weak, she can sense it too. It's probably the calmest point in their lives (aka the album) but, just like the length of the song, it doesn't last long.

That's really very nicely put! I have those same thoughts and feelings about the characters of C and G. And this seems to me like the calm in the middle of the storm that is their lives.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The lyrics are absolutely beautiful, although the music could have been much better, in my opinion.

Agree.

I don't like the "postcard" idea that much, honestly. I like the "you are the moonlight of my life, every night"

and I love Billie's voice at "Fiiiire" just lovely.

This song is... dammit, it's like my best friend and worst enemy at the same time. On one hand, it's such a beautiful song, and it's adorable that Billie has so much love for Adrienne that he could write something as beautiful as this. But on the another hand, this song always manages to bring up memories that I would rather have burned and thrown away. It makes me smile, but it depresses and angers the hell out of me, as well.

Weakest song the album, still after 3 weeks of listening, I can't get into this song, I just don't like it.

Maybe it's too boring, or repetitive, and it hasn't the power I want from a song.

The only song with The Last of the American Girls (and sometimes 21 Guns) that I usually skip during shuffle-play.

I like this song but how do you "text a postcard"?

I know that part sounds akward but i guess it would be a funky way of saying a love note by text but anywho I really love the song and cant help but to sing along everytime it comes on when im playing my cd

The lyrics are so powerful, makes me wanna be in love!

^ as you said, the lyrics are so powerful and amazing. i just love them.

i actually didn't like this song when i first heard it, but the more i listen to the lyrics, the more i fall in love with the song.

I definitely fall in love with this song. Cant stop listening to it.

I like this song but how do you "text a postcard"?

I think it has to do with how nowadays everything is done through texting. When was the last time you hear of someone writing a love letter, or sending a postcard to someone back home? Today, everything is written over texts.

As for the song, I love it. Its simple, but why overcomplicate love? Its perfect.

I love the last lines: "If I lose everything in the fire, did I ever make it through?" I see this as a kinda: If anything happens, was I able to show you how much I love you? Kind of like asking if his true feelings ever got through.

I love this song. Its one of my favorites on the album. And like everyone else.... I love the lyrics!

I'm absolutely zany for this song.

It reminds me of my on again/off again, it's so beautiful :wub:

This song is amazing.

With every breath that I am worth, here on Earth

I love that line!

It is one of my favorites off the album. I reminds me of how I feel about my old horse. I loved that horse with every being in my body (nothing sexually of course, that would just be totally wrong). He was my reason for living, he was my life for 11 years. Part of me died when he died (I even have a white patch on my eyebrow that mysteriously appeared the day after he died). Ok, but back to the song, it's just so well written and beautiful. To me it almost sounds like it belongs/was a song in a movie.

I loved this ong when i first heard it but now i hardly listen to it its just not my type of song.

Not one of my favorites but something different in GD's music and different is always welcome.. :cool:

I love the way Billie describes it, it's very accurate.

This may be my favorite song on the album. Some people give it crap for being too soft or cheesy, but I think everyone needs a good love song now and then, even the most hardened punk bands. I don't think that undermines their "street cred" or anything. It's admirable that Billie is willing to share his most vulnerable feelings, it speaks a lot to his maturity, and it's a beautiful gesture to his wife. I can only hope I find someone who I love like that, and who returns the feelings. It's the only song on the album that can make me cry, but I don't care. The lyrics are pure genius, simply because they are so heartfelt, and coupled with the piano, it's chilling.

The last two lines,

"If I lose everything in the fire

Did I ever make it through?"

always make me shiver.

I first didn't like it that much; but BJ seems to give all his heart singing it, and that's what amazes me when I listen to it now :]

It's brilliant musically and lyrically. It's one song that just relaxes me.

I turn to jello when i hear this song. It makes me happy but sad that I am single

I've loved this song ever since I heard the the version Anja recorded standing outside..I forget which club in San Francisco.

It's weird but I liked that version better than the one on the album. When Billie Joe says "..and did it go through", on "through" his voice had this haunting, echoing quality..and it was just mesmerizing. :wub:

this song is my least favorite on the album... actually, i dont really like it at all xP it's too sappy for my taste.

i think it'd be way more emotional if it was just an acoustic guitar or just piano in the background instead of all those useless effects..

Archived