The Breakdown of 21st Century Breakdown

Boston

This is a great Breakdown :D. I think neither the parts containing "Born into Nixon" or "Class of 13" are from Christian's or Gloria's point of view:

"Born into Nixon"- Billie Joe is a detached narrator, since he was born in '72 (correct me if I'm wrong), and the Class of 13 is about today's youth feeling both optimistic about the future and pessimistic about the mistakes people like Bush (just an example) have made and how they will be repeated.

I think Christian and Gloria sit somewhere inbetween this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

OT- Class of 13, Woo! Well, I would be if I was in America, so in England....Class of 11?

That's what I'm thinking.

And it isn't the characters in the album's world singing until "We are the class of '13."

But I like the thinking that the class of '13 is the graduating high school students of '09 who would like to go to college but don't see it happening for economical and educational reasons. '13 is kind of a "we wish" thing.

I don't know if anyone's touched on the American Dream part of this album, but it's one of my favorite parts.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She wears her overcoat

For the coming of the nuclear winter

She is riding her bike

Like a fugitive of critical mass

She's on a hunger strike

For the ones who won't make it for dinner

I think that Gloria being "the last of the American Girls" means that she is the last generation to be naive enough to think that what she does to "change the world" will actually change the world. It doesn't seem like girls that are younger than me (I assume Gloria is age 17-20) will be out there doing anything to change the world as the girls of the '60s right up through the turn of the century have. Therefore, when she develops a drug addiction (and presumably loses her spirit and her naivete), the American Protesters are gone, rendering Christian and Gloria's fight worthless.

Christian's crying

In the bathroom

And I just want to

Bum a cigarette

We've come so far,

We've been so wasted

It's written

All over our faces

I believe this signifies the end of Gloria's reign as the "saint of the sinners". She and Christian are clearly burnt out from drug-use and don't care anymore.

With the help of "PerfectPitchRob" - I have made a re-vised story/time line:

ACT 1

"Song of the Century/21CBD" - This serves an introductory piece, basically lays down the foundation for the story. It examines the life that Christian and Gloria are dealing with. The war, terrorism, and the fact that they have to learn to make it on their own – as even the adults that raised them cannot be trusted. “Raised by the bastards of 1969”.

"Know your Enemy” – this song serves as a narrative piece rather then talking specifically about the plot (the couple). It's asking them, and the listener who is the person they should be angry at. – who is the enemy. It also serves as a story device, because later on in the story we return to the question – “do you know the enemy?”'

"¡Viva La Gloria!" - While it is never mentioned when Christian Gloria met, this is when he first notices her. He is inspired by her progressive spirit and ideals. It also shows how the two have banded together, as they are in the “fight of their lives” and “pushed to the edge”. He wants to stay with her since he feels she will keep him sane. It also shows a glimpse of how Christian views her. He calls her “the saint of all sinners”.

"Before the Lobotomy" – This song has two layers to it. On it’s surface, it’s about Christian slowly losing his mind. He has started to get involved in drugs to numb the pain. “Well I’m not stoned, I’m just fucked up, I get so high I can’t stand up”. It even shows how Christian is a bit in denial, as he proclaims he’s not really getting stoned. On a deeper level, the song also talks about themes of the 21st Century Breakdown world. Such as Bush's leadership, 9/11 and the Iraq war. Those events are what have pushed Christian to be so angry/destructive and mistrusting of his government - he dreams of the time before when he and the world was calmer. The title also says it all, it’s literally Christian dwelling on who he used to be – before he is about to have a Lobotomy (drugs etc).

"Christian's inferno" – This song is a look at Christian's personality. This is his biography on the album – and it shows how much rage and anger he has built up; he is a loose cannon. His drug uses is also briefly mentioned – “This bitter pill is chased with blood”. But it also brings Gloria into the equation, because he now feels like she is the spark that can ignite his fire. (Fire is a recurring theme to describe Christian) – “Maybe you're the chemical reaction, I am the Atomic Bomb, I am the chosen one. Toxin Your Reservoir”.

"Last Night on Earth" – This is Christian’s love letter to Gloria - Christian's confession to Gloria most likely via phone (I text a postcard sent to you, did it go through), of his love for her. This is their connection moment. It is a positive end to this act, and really serves as a calming point for Christian. No matter how fucked up things get, he knows he has their love. He also mentions that “if he loses everything in the fire” – he will “send all his love” to her. This is a foreshadow to the end of the story.

ACT 2

"East Jesus Nowhere" – This song tackles the hypocrisy in modern religions. It also serves as Christians and Gloria’s negative experiences with the church, although it’s mainly from Christian (there is irony in his name). This is his confession to how he feels about the state of religion, and the people who vote on religious reasons alone.

"Peacemaker" - Christian's destructive state is starting to become more organized and inspired thanks to how Gloria is having a positive effect on him. This also serves as splitting point between the couple. While they aren’t actually fighting, Gloria is more about changing things with voice and ideas/rebelling while Christian is more about physical action. This song depicts him buying a berretta.

"Last of the American Girls" – This is Christian’s take on Gloria, and her personality. He basically holds her to the highest regard, and praises her for everything she is, and he is not. “She's the last of the American girls.” He loves how she doesn’t “Cooperate” – and furthermore, he really looks up to her. She is his anchor.

"Murder City" - This song is about Christian’s insecurities, and how he feels worthless. This song is split up into two perspectives. The first part is Christian, as he stays awake after the riots not being able to sleep. - "I'm awake after the riots". He realizes he will never be as mobilized or as torch-bearing as Gloria. This also calls back to “Peacemaker” when he had a gun, and felt tough. But when push comes to shove, as they get deeper into the city, he realizes he is being overwhelmed by the evil and deceit that runs the city. Because of this, he feels useless, and wonders if anything he does makes a difference. This song also starts to show a crack in the couples relationship, and this part of the song is from Gloria's perspective: – “Christian is crying in the bathroom, and I just want to bum a cigarette”. It shows that Christian is emotionally venerable here, and Gloria is having a tough time dealing with it. The song is more about Christian being helpless, but it also ties Gloria into it when she says “We are the last call, and we're so pathetic”.

"¿Viva La Gloria?" - Surprise surprise, Gloria isn't as pure as Christian thought, as this song reveals that she is a drug addict and a wreck underneath all what Christian first saw in her. Christian now has doubts about her – as his whole life has been full of lies and deceit. Not necessarily Gloria’s fault, but Christian really held her up as inspiration, and she was the perfection that he was not. This song also serves as a “conscience” piece, as Gloria is starting to fall apart, and feel guilty for what she is doing. “Little girl little girl, you dirty liar, you’re just a junkie preaching to the choir.” “Runaway, to you’re lost tranquility, and find yourself with your face in the gutter.”

"Restless Heart Syndrome" - Drugs are affecting both characters destructively at this point. “ I got this really bad disease, it has me begging on my hands and knees. Please take me to Emergency”. “I’m elated, medicated”. They are both mad at each other and split angrily. This song acts as the big revelation in the story, and calls back to “Know Your Enemy”. The twist is that they are their own worst enemy. This whole time they were trying to fight deceit – yet they were deceiving themselves. “I'm a victim of my symptom, I am my own worst enemy, You're a victim of your symptom, You are your own worst enemy – Know Your Enemy”. As a result both characters finally realize who their enemy is (their destructiveness and the drugs they take). Unlike the last act, this one ends in a negative theme – and serves as the protagonist “lowest points”. Restless Heart is also a stab at the pharmaceutical companies, who now seem to prescribe you drugs for whatever “ails you”.

ACT 3

"Horseshoes and Handgrenades" - This is basically part two to “Christian’s Inferno”. It serves as Christian's angry rant about life, himself, and Gloria. He has reached a destructive peak. Some of this song is actually about him being physically destructive. He has become a mess. “So don't you fuck me around, Because I'll shoot you down, I'm gonna drink, fight and fuck , And pushing my luck., All the time now”. “Well, you missed me kissed me Now you better kick me down” - I'm not fucking around G-L-O-R-I-A”.

"Static Age" - Both characters, now both in shambles and living on their own realize that the media has corrupted them, and all of society. They both wonder what life would be like without all the mainstream media. This is social commentary about how bogged down/saturated the media has become. – and as a result, they can longer see or hear what is going on, because of all the static. "All I want to do is i want to breathe, Batteries are not included”.

"21 Guns" - Christian and Gloria, both (at the end of the road), the road being, their will to live, meet up again and make peace again (lay down your arms give up the fight). –“Did you try to live on your own? When you burned down the house and home? Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone ” – the fire is a reference to Christian, and calls back to “Last Night on Earth” when he said if I “lose everything in the fire”. They also take a look at the fighting in the wars and are inspired to start helping others. This song also serves as a perspective of a soldier who has lost his faith in a fight – that is not his fight - a fight that has no purpose. This really sums up how Christian and Gloria have been feeling – have they been fighting a fight worth fighting?

"American Eulogy" - The two characters become inspired by what is going on and look at all the events that have happened during the Bush years, Hurricane Katrina being a main one. They are unhappy with the class war and how the rich are looked at as higher people. There is so much going on in their world that they realize it is out of their control. The song also serves as a swipe at the mainstream media, as they like to use scare tactics to cause “Mass Hysteria”. The conclusion of the song (and pretty much the album) is that they decide they have had enough, and realize the modern world is too much for them to live in. It’s too corrupted, and they don’t think they can do anything to change it. “'Cause I don't give a shit about the modern age!” – “I don’t want to live in the modern world!”.

"See the Light" - Christian and Gloria decide to settle down away from the city, working through hardships to help those in need. They still strive for people to be happy and for there to be peace. They are doubtful, but they still try to (see the light) at the end of a deep and dark tunnel. The ending is very open-ended, and does not offer solutions. Because the current climate is still going on today, there is no answer. It’s left up to the listener to think for a solution.

Summary -

Act 1- The two meet up in the post bush years and fall in love

Act 2- The two work together, but realize each other's downfalls and angrily split up

Act 3 - Angered at modern society, they reunite and move away from the city to help others and try to make it through life together.

Just re-posting, just in case people missed this back on pg 2. :wub:

I dont care if your not right, this is how I will look back on Breakdown, this is perfect!

In Peacemaker, Christian is described as "a killjoy from Detroit." and in 21st Century Breakdown, "the long lost son born on the 4th of July." Small details of Christian's background but interesting nonetheless. Detroit is located in the Midwest, which is basically the heart of America. I think Billie is saying Christian/Christianity is the heart of America and it destroying the country. Then he's born on the 4th of July; Billie's saying that Christian is the representation of the long lost ideals of the religion on which the country is based on when the country was founded or someone who has lost his patriotism or faith in the US government.

Before I give this a shot I want to ask a question. Is this where I might also discuss the musical elements of the album(for example the use of ivm through the whole piece)? Is there a different thread or should I start one? Whould I get replies?

Song of the Century There is so much in this song for how quick it is. The song of Century is, to me, every song that becomes a part of our culture the stuff that cuts through everything and asserts itself in our mind. "Baba O'Riley" by the Who, "like a rolling stone" by Dylan and "Smells like teen Spirit" by Nirvana to name a few. This is a challenge to himself. The story he asks for is interesting. It may very well give a hint to the conclusion. He asks for a a story of desperation and lost. "Tell me a story into that goodnight" I am sure some will recognize. "Do not go quitly into that good night" A challenge to fight until death and then "sing us a song for me" a plea to "us" the audience to sing along.

21st Century BreakdownEveryone already mentioned the double meaning of the word "breakdown" so I will move on. The Verse/Chorus part I believe are from the POV the Billie and not either character. He describles his birth to a lower class family and the fealing of abandonment from the world. Does anyone know know what the "Tower" is? The bridge is spoken from all of the next generation starting at "we are the class of 13 and ending at Dead or Alive" The rest sounds more like the last generation the one's like billie joe who its to late for. They sound broken already.

Know your Enemy Gloria is the leader so this is most likely her song. Plus it seems interesting that see may have once been the fanatic which Christian goes to far with. Note the use of "the Choir" the faceless masses who surround the revolutionaries, the "Effigy" and the "Enemy" these are themes that will return. Considering the idea that Gloria is the Light and Christian is the fire "Burning down the foreman" may imply that Christian joins in at the end. Or simply that Gloria seeks a goal she cannot acheive alone. Which connects the character's, each of whom fill in a trait that the other is missing.

Am still writing I just didn't want to risk loosing this mid rant, I'm still writing.

Before I give this a shot I want to ask a question. Is this where I might also discuss the musical elements of the album(for example the use of ivm through the whole piece)? Is there a different thread or should I start one? Whould I get replies?

Song of the Century There is so much in this song for how quick it is. The song of Century is, to me, every song that becomes a part of our culture the stuff that cuts through everything and asserts itself in our mind. "Baba O'Riley" by the Who, "like a rolling stone" by Dylan and "Smells like teen Spirit" by Nirvana to name a few. This is a challenge to himself. The story he asks for is interesting. It may very well give a hint to the conclusion. He asks for a a story of desperation and lost. "Tell me a story into that goodnight" I am sure some will recognize. "Do not go quitly into that good night" A challenge to fight until death and then "sing us a song for me" a plea to "us" the audience to sing along.

21st Century Breakdown Everyone already mentioned the double meaning of the word "breakdown" so I will move on. The Verse/Chorus part I believe are from the POV of Billie and not either character. He describles his birth to a lower class family and the feeling of abandonment from the world. Does anyone know what the "Tower" is? The bridge is spoken from all of the next generation starting at "we are the class of 13 and ending at Dead or Alive" The rest sounds more like the last generation the one's like billie joe who its to late for. They sound broken already.

Know your Enemy Gloria is the leader so this is most likely her song. Plus it seems interesting that see may have once been the fanatic which Christian goes to far with. Note the use of "the Choir" the faceless masses who surround the revolutionaries, the "Effigy" and the "Enemy" these are themes that will return. Considering the idea that Gloria is the Light and Christian is the fire "Burning down the foreman" may imply that Christian joins in at the end. Or simply that Gloria seeks a goal she cannot acheive alone. Which connects the character's, each of whom fill in a trait that the other is missing.

Viva La Gloria The more I read these lyrics the more I think this song is set in the future. The last line is tell "tell me the story of your life" and if you take the album as a Rock Opera then it is Gloria's story. The beginning sections also mentions cracks in skin, a sign of age. Although in the same stanza it says "were going to start a war". Either way it is the character true introduction. The leader and the rebel.

Before the Lobotomy This then is Christians introduction as seen through Gloria's eyes. Well, the center is but maybe the first section(dreaming...) is Christian thinking back to his past. He worries for the american dream and for himself. However he has been blinded and trapped and lied to to the point he couldn't dream anymore which leads us to...

Christians Inferno Christian is "saved" by Gloria and through that he sets of a revolution all his own. Violent and large he turns his world to anarchy. "You(Gloria) are the chemical reaction, I am the ATOM BOMB" Everything goes to hell.

last Night on Earth In the middle of the chaos Christian and Gloria are seperated and Christen sends a text to Gloria "I Love You" When he meets her again he promises his love for her again and claims himself as a disciple. He asks if the text went through. End Part 1

With the help of "PerfectPitchRob" - I have made a re-vised story/time line:

ACT 1

"Song of the Century/21CBD" - This serves an introductory piece, basically lays down the foundation for the story. It examines the life that Christian and Gloria are dealing with. The war, terrorism, and the fact that they have to learn to make it on their own – as even the adults that raised them cannot be trusted. “Raised by the bastards of 1969”.

"Know your Enemy” – this song serves as a narrative piece rather then talking specifically about the plot (the couple). It's asking them, and the listener who is the person they should be angry at. – who is the enemy. It also serves as a story device, because later on in the story we return to the question – “do you know the enemy?”'

"¡Viva La Gloria!" - While it is never mentioned when Christian Gloria met, this is when he first notices her. He is inspired by her progressive spirit and ideals. It also shows how the two have banded together, as they are in the “fight of their lives” and “pushed to the edge”. He wants to stay with her since he feels she will keep him sane. It also shows a glimpse of how Christian views her. He calls her “the saint of all sinners”.

"Before the Lobotomy" – This song has two layers to it. On it’s surface, it’s about Christian slowly losing his mind. He has started to get involved in drugs to numb the pain. “Well I’m not stoned, I’m just fucked up, I get so high I can’t stand up”. It even shows how Christian is a bit in denial, as he proclaims he’s not really getting stoned. On a deeper level, the song also talks about themes of the 21st Century Breakdown world. Such as Bush's leadership, 9/11 and the Iraq war. Those events are what have pushed Christian to be so angry/destructive and mistrusting of his government - he dreams of the time before when he and the world was calmer. The title also says it all, it’s literally Christian dwelling on who he used to be – before he is about to have a Lobotomy (drugs etc).

"Christian's inferno" – This song is a look at Christian's personality. This is his biography on the album – and it shows how much rage and anger he has built up; he is a loose cannon. His drug uses is also briefly mentioned – “This bitter pill is chased with blood”. But it also brings Gloria into the equation, because he now feels like she is the spark that can ignite his fire. (Fire is a recurring theme to describe Christian) – “Maybe you're the chemical reaction, I am the Atomic Bomb, I am the chosen one. Toxin Your Reservoir”.

"Last Night on Earth" – This is Christian’s love letter to Gloria - Christian's confession to Gloria most likely via phone (I text a postcard sent to you, did it go through), of his love for her. This is their connection moment. It is a positive end to this act, and really serves as a calming point for Christian. No matter how fucked up things get, he knows he has their love. He also mentions that “if he loses everything in the fire” – he will “send all his love” to her. This is a foreshadow to the end of the story.

ACT 2

"East Jesus Nowhere" – This song tackles the hypocrisy in modern religions. It also serves as Christians and Gloria’s negative experiences with the church, although it’s mainly from Christian (there is irony in his name). This is his confession to how he feels about the state of religion, and the people who vote on religious reasons alone.

"Peacemaker" - Christian's destructive state is starting to become more organized and inspired thanks to how Gloria is having a positive effect on him. This also serves as splitting point between the couple. While they aren’t actually fighting, Gloria is more about changing things with voice and ideas/rebelling while Christian is more about physical action. This song depicts him buying a berretta.

"Last of the American Girls" – This is Christian’s take on Gloria, and her personality. He basically holds her to the highest regard, and praises her for everything she is, and he is not. “She's the last of the American girls.” He loves how she doesn’t “Cooperate” – and furthermore, he really looks up to her. She is his anchor.

"Murder City" - This song is about Christian’s insecurities, and how he feels worthless. This song is split up into two perspectives. The first part is Christian, as he stays awake after the riots not being able to sleep. - "I'm awake after the riots". He realizes he will never be as mobilized or as torch-bearing as Gloria. This also calls back to “Peacemaker” when he had a gun, and felt tough. But when push comes to shove, as they get deeper into the city, he realizes he is being overwhelmed by the evil and deceit that runs the city. Because of this, he feels useless, and wonders if anything he does makes a difference. This song also starts to show a crack in the couples relationship, and this part of the song is from Gloria's perspective: – “Christian is crying in the bathroom, and I just want to bum a cigarette”. It shows that Christian is emotionally venerable here, and Gloria is having a tough time dealing with it. The song is more about Christian being helpless, but it also ties Gloria into it when she says “We are the last call, and we're so pathetic”.

"¿Viva La Gloria?" - Surprise surprise, Gloria isn't as pure as Christian thought, as this song reveals that she is a drug addict and a wreck underneath all what Christian first saw in her. Christian now has doubts about her – as his whole life has been full of lies and deceit. Not necessarily Gloria’s fault, but Christian really held her up as inspiration, and she was the perfection that he was not. This song also serves as a “conscience” piece, as Gloria is starting to fall apart, and feel guilty for what she is doing. “Little girl little girl, you dirty liar, you’re just a junkie preaching to the choir.” “Runaway, to you’re lost tranquility, and find yourself with your face in the gutter.”

"Restless Heart Syndrome" - Drugs are affecting both characters destructively at this point. “ I got this really bad disease, it has me begging on my hands and knees. Please take me to Emergency”. “I’m elated, medicated”. They are both mad at each other and split angrily. This song acts as the big revelation in the story, and calls back to “Know Your Enemy”. The twist is that they are their own worst enemy. This whole time they were trying to fight deceit – yet they were deceiving themselves. “I'm a victim of my symptom, I am my own worst enemy, You're a victim of your symptom, You are your own worst enemy – Know Your Enemy”. As a result both characters finally realize who their enemy is (their destructiveness and the drugs they take). Unlike the last act, this one ends in a negative theme – and serves as the protagonist “lowest points”. Restless Heart is also a stab at the pharmaceutical companies, who now seem to prescribe you drugs for whatever “ails you”.

ACT 3

"Horseshoes and Handgrenades" - This is basically part two to “Christian’s Inferno”. It serves as Christian's angry rant about life, himself, and Gloria. He has reached a destructive peak. Some of this song is actually about him being physically destructive. He has become a mess. “So don't you fuck me around, Because I'll shoot you down, I'm gonna drink, fight and fuck , And pushing my luck., All the time now”. “Well, you missed me kissed me Now you better kick me down” - I'm not fucking around G-L-O-R-I-A”.

"Static Age" - Both characters, now both in shambles and living on their own realize that the media has corrupted them, and all of society. They both wonder what life would be like without all the mainstream media. This is social commentary about how bogged down/saturated the media has become. – and as a result, they can longer see or hear what is going on, because of all the static. "All I want to do is i want to breathe, Batteries are not included”.

"21 Guns" - Christian and Gloria, both (at the end of the road), the road being, their will to live, meet up again and make peace again (lay down your arms give up the fight). –“Did you try to live on your own? When you burned down the house and home? Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone ” – the fire is a reference to Christian, and calls back to “Last Night on Earth” when he said if I “lose everything in the fire”. They also take a look at the fighting in the wars and are inspired to start helping others. This song also serves as a perspective of a soldier who has lost his faith in a fight – that is not his fight - a fight that has no purpose. This really sums up how Christian and Gloria have been feeling – have they been fighting a fight worth fighting?

"American Eulogy" - The two characters become inspired by what is going on and look at all the events that have happened during the Bush years, Hurricane Katrina being a main one. They are unhappy with the class war and how the rich are looked at as higher people. There is so much going on in their world that they realize it is out of their control. The song also serves as a swipe at the mainstream media, as they like to use scare tactics to cause “Mass Hysteria”. The conclusion of the song (and pretty much the album) is that they decide they have had enough, and realize the modern world is too much for them to live in. It’s too corrupted, and they don’t think they can do anything to change it. “'Cause I don't give a shit about the modern age!” – “I don’t want to live in the modern world!”.

"See the Light" - Christian and Gloria decide to settle down away from the city, working through hardships to help those in need. They still strive for people to be happy and for there to be peace. They are doubtful, but they still try to (see the light) at the end of a deep and dark tunnel. The ending is very open-ended, and does not offer solutions. Because the current climate is still going on today, there is no answer. It’s left up to the listener to think for a solution.

Summary -

Act 1- The two meet up in the post bush years and fall in love

Act 2- The two work together, but realize each other's downfalls and angrily split up

Act 3 - Angered at modern society, they reunite and move away from the city to help others and try to make it through life together.

:wub:

thanks kate.

that makes perfect sense.

This is a great Breakdown :D. I think neither the parts containing "Born into Nixon" or "Class of 13" are from Christian's or Gloria's point of view:

"Born into Nixon"- Billie Joe is a detached narrator, since he was born in '72 (correct me if I'm wrong), and the Class of 13 is about today's youth feeling both optimistic about the future and pessimistic about the mistakes people like Bush (just an example) have made and how they will be repeated.

I think Christian and Gloria sit somewhere inbetween this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

OT- Class of 13, Woo! Well, I would be if I was in America, so in England....Class of 11?

I think this might mean its a re-occurring thing. billie is singing for all ages. all voices from different generations.

yeah, i noticed that the iv minor chord is repeated realy often aswell. i guess you could discuss it here, i mean nowhere does it say this is restricted just to the "lyrical" breakdown of the album.So go ahead.

Does anyone know know what the "Tower" is?

I took the reference to "the tower's fall" as being the destruction of the World Trade Center in Manhattan on 9/11. Interesting juxtaposition with "videogames" when you think about it....one's the fantasy-world in which mass-destruction can occur without actually killing anything, the other is oh-so-real, and both impacted Generation Zero.

Great post BTW.

Here's billies own words about what the songs about and how he got the inspiration to write the songs. Words taken from Green day's interview with Q magazine.

Intro/21st Cb

Billie Joe Armstrong:" That goes from a song about where I come from to what it's like to be in this era, financially. It represents an underdog spirit."

Know you enemy

BJA:" It's a rallying song. It's about liberating yourself from a lot if bullshit that you see on TV."

Viva la Gloria!

BJA: It's like, the older you get the more become detached from the naivety you had when you were growing up. How do you keep that spark?"

Before the lobotomy

BJA: It's about how self-destructive behaviour can overshadow parts of your ambition: there's this shiny red button you just want to push."

Christina's Inferno

BJA: I don't know if I just were having a bad morning but it's that angry feeling of despair that I guess a lot of people can relate too."

Last night on earth

BJA: "Christina's Inferno is like a subway ride to hell and you kinda end up in space with this. Mike dirnt: It's the most unapologetic love song."

March of the dogs (Now East Jesus nowhere)

BJA: "It's inspired by Bill Maher's [documentary] Religious. It's about hypocrisy of religion. I think any good Christian would have some doubt about religion. "

Peacemaker

BJA: "It's a song about how someone can be so vengeful that it's almost sexually driven. MD: It also got a kind of cool gypsy carnival feel to it."

Last of the American girls

BJA: I started writing for my wife, but there's elements of Hurricane Katrina and [pro-cycling protesters] Critical mass. It adds those elements to one characters who has this left-wing strength."

Viva la Gloria?

BJA: "It's about a woman with a heavy drug problem. Viva la Gloria! is about a person who has a vision, but this person who's distorting that vision with drugs and self-destruction.

Restless heart syndrome

BJA: It's about pharmaceuticals. A lot of people become junkies if they get the right prescription. "

Horseshoes and handgrenades

BJA:Oh god. You read the lyrics to that one? I'm not sure about that one yet."

Drama queen (Now murder city)

BJA: "It's about obsession with celebrity and watching people self-destruct. A lot of Americans have a tabloid addiction. Am I guilty of that? Yeah."

Static age

BJA: " I love old punk flyer's. You'd see things like crucifixion of Mickey mouse: two things that aren't supposed to go together. That's kind of what the song is about. The music is almost Springsteenish."

21 guns

BJA: It brings up 21 CB in a lot of ways, and the 21-gun salute for someone that's fallen, but done arena rock'n'roll sort of way."

American eulogy

BJA: That's two songs in one; one called Mass hysteria or This riot sucks and the other Modern world. It swirls all the information that's going in in the record around an emotional blender. At the end it's going to sound like a wall of TV screens. It's sensory overload."

See the light

BJA: "This record is like the way American culture is right now where a different week is a different crisis depending on where you're getting your news from, but there's also this feeling of hope that goes throughout the record. Life, I guess. and it ends up with See the light."

Hope you enjoy the post!

^^^^

Nice. Combining what he said inspired him, with the story timeline we wrote - sort of makes for an even fuller understanding of the album. Thanks for re-posting. :wub:

^^^^

Nice. Combining what he said inspired him, with the story timeline we wrote - sort of makes for an even fuller understanding of the album. Thanks for re-posting. :wub:

As I think we've come to expect -- the songs on 21CB have meanings that stand on their own, but a different meaning and story (indeed, several!) when listened as a collection. They did that with AI and dammit, they pulled it off again. Love it!

As I think we've come to expect -- the songs on 21CB have meanings that stand on their own, but a different meaning and story (indeed, several!) when listened as a collection. They did that with AI and dammit, they pulled it off again. Love it!

This is very true. Also, the album is what we make of it. Truly, I'm sure different folks will interpret the story differently. In the end it doesn't matter, except the person that listens to it. I for one, think a story enhances the album 10x more, which is why I analyzed it the best I could (as I did with AI). Might not be 100% correct, but doesn't matter. I think the band wants it that way.

We all create our own memories with these albums, it's a beautiful thing. :)

^^^^

Thanks Kate, glad you like it.

That's some good stuff. That put me in the mood to do english revision, namely The Great Gatsby, a fine novel. And who says that 21CB hasn't really got a story?

You know, I hang back on digging too deep into lyrics with things like this.

My english teacher gave me an example once about how critics agonised for over a decade about how an author came up with just an 'inspired' title to a book (I forget what it was now though) and how it summed the themes up yet left questions unanswered. Eventually the author tuned around and said that she just couldn't think of anything and literally pulled a name out of a hat.

What I'm trying to say is, it's way to easy to find meanings in stuff with ain't there. I'm not saying that this isn't a deep album, but even the Band have played down the story line, which lets face it, isn't really there. It's just some 'characters' being referenced for the purpose and individual songs. Most albums have 'optimisting' and 'angry' songs, and realy thats all Gloria and Christian are. There is a very loose thread connecting most of the songs, but overall, thi isn't a true concept album with a story. At all. It has themes, but thats it, and that doesn't make it a concept album.

I think the lyrics are good, but Green Day have done better on that front. Billie has written some pretty amazing tunes, some of the best of his carrer on this album, and the lyrics are meaningful, but don;t dig too deep, because ultimately I don't think there is that much there.

You know, I hang back on digging too deep into lyrics with things like this.

My english teacher gave me an example once about how critics agonised for over a decade about how an author came up with just an 'inspired' title to a book (I forget what it was now though) and how it summed the themes up yet left questions unanswered. Eventually the author tuned around and said that she just couldn't think of anything and literally pulled a name out of a hat.

What I'm trying to say is, it's way to easy to find meanings in stuff with ain't there. I'm not saying that this isn't a deep album, but even the Band have played down the story line, which lets face it, isn't really there. It's just some 'characters' being referenced for the purpose and individual songs. Most albums have 'optimisting' and 'angry' songs, and realy thats all Gloria and Christian are. There is a very loose thread connecting most of the songs, but overall, thi isn't a true concept album with a story. At all. It has themes, but thats it, and that doesn't make it a concept album.

I think the lyrics are good, but Green Day have done better on that front. Billie has written some pretty amazing tunes, some of the best of his carrer on this album, and the lyrics are meaningful, but don;t dig too deep, because ultimately I don't think there is that much there.

Even if this is true - I will still view the album as a story. Why does it matter? If it enhances the album for the listener, I see no problem. In fact, I think the band would be touched that fans get so heavy into an album - that they use their imagination.

Even if this is true - I will still view the album as a story. Why does it matter? If it enhances the album for the listener, I see no problem. In fact, I think the band would be touched that fans get so heavy into an album - that they use their imagination.

I agree. I think Green Day are vague when talking about the album and it's storyline because they want people to interpret it for themselves - not because there's no complexity there. They've created lots of layers to it but they don't need to spell that out in interviews, they can let people choose how deep to go into it on their own.

^ LOL they know that if they explained all the layers then GDC wouldn't have anything to occupy their otherwise boring lives on the forum :P

so what is everyone's interpretation of "I got the rejection letter in the mail and It was already ripped to shreds." ?

like is this the contrast to Christian's Love Letter- Gloria's breakup letter?

but they dont get pissed at eachother until the 2nd act, so most likely not.

^ LOL they know that if they explained all the layers then GDC wouldn't have anything to occupy their otherwise boring lives on the forum :P

so what is everyone's interpretation of "I got the rejection letter in the mail and It was already ripped to shreds." ?

like is this the contrast to Christian's Love Letter- Gloria's breakup letter?

but they dont get pissed at eachother until the 2nd act, so most likely not.

Yeah, I pointed out that line in my summary. I thought Before the Lobotomy was about Gloria, not Christian. So when Billie sang, "sign my love a lost memory," I interpreted that as she wrote a letter to break up with Christian. Then there's a rejection letter that is said in Christian Inferno, which is the next song. Christian responds with his Last Night On Earth text/song to win Gloria back. Then the 2nd act is more about their being pissed at each other.

Ok so I just spent the last 3 hours combing the lyrics for recurring themes, motifs and words. The result of my work is below. Hopefully looking at some of this stuff in depth will help some of ya'll who are trying to give the album a story. It's actually pretty interesting. I encourage ya'll to trying picking out my findings in the lyrics. It has helped me connect some stuff. Anyway here it is. I'll summarize some of the major themes and such in another post. Also, at the bottom of this post, I'll put what the biggest recurring ideas were for people who don't want to go through my whole list. Also, the list is by no means exhaustive. I'm sure I missed something or didn't connect something. Also, I know it's a little confusing. That's why I'm planning on doing a large write-up/explanation for this stuff and try to tie some of it together. Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------

Light-Song of the Century, burning light-Viva La Gloria, see the light-See the Light

Fire-Viva La Gloria, burning light-Viva La Gloria, burning down-Viva La Gloria, bonfires-Viva La Gloria, burned your dreams-Before the Lobotomy, Inferno, fire in my veins- Christian’s Inferno, lose everything in the fire-Last Night on Earth, fire burns today-East Jesus Nowhere, fire and desire-Peacemaker, burn it all down-Horseshoes and Handgrenades, burned down your house and home-21 Guns, stand too close to the fire-21 Guns, fight fire with a riot-American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, I’m gonna light a fire-American Eulogy: Modern World, set a fire-See the Light, just to see the flame-See the Light

Gloria-Viva La Gloria, Horseshoes and Handgrenades, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Christian-Before the Lobotomy(x2), Murder City, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

21, 21st Century Breakdown, 21 Guns

Story-Song of the Century, Viva La Gloria

Song-Song of the Century, hear them singing-Before the Lobotomy, we’ll be singing-East Jesus Nowhere, singing songs-Last of the American Girls, singing “the dawn’s early light”-Static Age, sings like American Eulogy-American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, Sung by the Unemployed- American Eulogy

Century/Millennium -Song of the Century, 21st Century Breakdown, Before the Lobotomy, Static Age, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Eternity-Song of the Century, Eternal-Viva La Gloria

Static-Song of the Century, Static Age, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

War/fight-Song of the Century, Viva La Gloria, Last of the American Girls, Static Age, 21 Guns, fight fire- American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, Class war-

American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, worth the fight-See the Light

Hell-21st Century Breakdown, Christian’s Inferno, See the Light

Poison-21st Century Breakdown, toxin-Christian’s Inferno, Murder City

Blood-21st Century Breakdown, Christian’s Inferno, Little Girl, Bleeder-Horseshoes and Handgrenades, bleeds-American Eulogy: Modern World, See the Light

Class of ’13-21st Century Breakdown, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, American Eulogy: Modern World

Era-Song of the Century, 21st Century Breakdown (x2), American Eulogy: Modern World

Desperate, 21st Century Breakdown, Murder City

I am a nation-21st Century Breakdown, American Eulogy: Modern World

Faith-21st Century Breakdown, Viva La Gloria, East Jesus Nowhere

Obey/”Freedom to Obey”-21st Century Breakdown, Honor to Obey-Know Your Enemy

Light’s early dawn-21st Century Breakdown, rise in the dawn’s landscape-Static Age, singing “the dawn’s early light”-Static Age

Scream-21st Century Breakdown, Static Age, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Enemy/know your enemy-Know Your Enemy, Restless Heart Syndrome

Revolution-Know Your Enemy

Choir-Know Your Enemy, East Jesus Nowhere, Little Girl, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Prayers-Viva La Gloria, East Jesus Nowhere

Undying love-Viva La Gloria (x2)

Graffiti on the walls, Viva La Gloria, Last of the American Girls

Youth-Viva La Gloria (x2)

Cracks- Viva La Gloria(x2), Cracks in my skin, Falling through the cracks

Shadows-Viva La Gloria, East Jesus Nowhere

Ammunition/Guns/Arms-Viva La Gloria, 21 Guns, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Seasons, Viva La Gloria, Christian’s Inferno

Ruin-Viva La Gloria, Christian’s Inferno, 21 Guns

Home-Viva La Gloria, Little Girl, 21 Guns

Slogan-Viva La Gloria, Static Age

Broken glass- Viva La Gloria, 21 Guns

Slashing/breaking your spirit, Viva La Gloria, 21 Guns

Dreaming-Before the Lobotomy, Peacemaker

Laughter-Before the Lobotomy, Murder City, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Dying- Before the Lobotomy, Little Girl, 21 Guns

Stoned/high/fucked up/wasted-Before the Lobotomy, Murder City, See the Light

Family-Before the Lobotomy, East Jesus Nowhere

Modern-Christian’s Inferno, American Eulogy: Modern World

Grace-Christian’s Inferno, Peacemaker

Second guess-Last Night on Earth, East Jesus Nowhere

All My Love-Last Night on Earth, Peacemaker

Assured-Last Night on Earth, Restless Heart Syndrome

Crucified-East Jesus Nowhere, Restless Heart Syndrome

River-East Jesus Nowhere, Little Girl, See the Light

God damned thing-East Jesus Nowhere, Static Age

Fanatics-East Jesus Nowhere, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Hurricane/natural disaster-Last of the American Girls, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, See the Light

Liar-Little Girl, 21 Guns, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, See the Light

Medicated/medicine-Restless Heart Syndrome, Static Age, See the Light

Pain-Restless Heart Syndrome, 21 Guns

System-Restless Heart Syndrome, American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria

Peace- Static Age, Peacemaker(?)

Ocean/Sea-American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria, See the Light

Pun?

Blinded by the lies-Know Your Enemy, see the light-See the Light

Major recurring themes:

Fire (there is a lot of fire references)

Songs/singing (probably the second most referenced idea)

Light (a small motif, but important to the characters)

Century (the idea of the century is big, esp. since this one is just beginning. There is also the juxtaposition of the 21st and 20th centuries in the title track)

War/Fight (again, many references to wars and fighting, not all connected, but still important)

Blood (the idea of blood, bleeding, and bleeders is very pervasive)

Era (different eras are mentioned, all of them different, but all very descriptive of now)

Light's Early Dawn/Dawn's Early Light (a reference to the Star-Spangled Banner, this theme also ties into the theme of light)

Faith/Choir/Prayer (all these have separate entries, but they all play into the bigger religion aspect)

Love (I only have it listed as undying love above, because I didn't go back and change it, but love is another BIG reference theme)

Ammunition/Guns/Arms (may play into the fight aspect, but the different references to guns both real and metaphorical are there)

Ruin (mentioned in the two "biographical songs" and 21 Guns, ruin is a big motif)

Home (Home is mentioned quite a few times, I may have missed some, but I get a real Jesus of Suburbia feel from this)

Stoned/High (Pretty sure this is what part of Restless Heart Syndrome is about, but there were no immediate references)

River (a metaphorical river to be sure, but it is mentioned 3 times in similar contexts. Very important in my eyes)

Hurricane/natural disaster (pretty obvious what this refers to, but it is understandable why it is so prevalent)

Liar (different liars from Gloria to a martyr)

Medicine/drugs/medicated (Pills, alcohol, medicine, etc. A very big deal to RHS and ties into the stoned/high theme)

Ok so I just spent the last 3 hours combing the lyrics for recurring themes, motifs and words. The result of my work is below. Hopefully looking at some of this stuff in depth will help some of ya'll who are trying to give the album a story. It's actually pretty interesting. I encourage ya'll to trying picking out my findings in the lyrics. It has helped me connect some stuff. Anyway here it is. I'll summarize some of the major themes and such in another post. Also, at the bottom of this post, I'll put what the biggest recurring ideas were for people who don't want to go through my whole list. Also, the list is by no means exhaustive. I'm sure I missed something or didn't connect something. Also, I know it's a little confusing. That's why I'm planning on doing a large write-up/explanation for this stuff and try to tie some of it together. Enjoy.

Pun?

Blinded by the lies-Know Your Enemy, see the light-See the Light

It might be a bit too exhaustive, like you are trying to find recurring significant images that really don't have much significance at all. (i.e. Cracks and assured) Actually, you are more like breaking down the songs so much that the images do lose some of their meaning.

Also, puns are basically everywhere. It story is basically an allegory.

peacemaker is Christian or Gloria:o

this religious guy calls Christian/Gloria the peacemaker, and oh, he doesn't like "peacemakers" that revolt against religion or are non-believers.

so tat religious guy has no name.

This thread is way too deep for me. I'll just say that I really like the album, and the story that I can pick out of it, but I think everyone's interpretation of it will be different.

Archived