The Breakdown of 21st Century Breakdown

Boston

I think how one enjoys an artists lyrics is all relative to the individual. I've always enjoyed Billies lyrics. At the same time, when someone asks me how I compare him on a technical level to every artist in history (which I think is more Objective then Subjective) - I really don't consider Billie Joe to be (one of the best) lyricists of all time.

But that isn't an insult in any way. As I said in the above post, he brings more to the table then just words. But if i were to take his lyrics from his early career, and compare them to something like Dylan (like Blowing in the Wind/ Times Are A Changing) - then you can see there is a big difference in writing ability. They are different kinds of genres, and Billie doesn't need to be a poet for the kind of music he makes.

So really, comparing the two is pointless. In fact, I never even meant to bring him up. I was just talking about how I think Billie and Dylan are similar in how they respond to peoples questions (on their lyrics).

I have agree on comparing the two or any two lyricists is pointless since each one is going to have their own styles and writing ability based on the genre of music they write for as well. Each lyricist is able to bring the meanings of their songs and feelings out in many different ways and dont necessarily need to be compared to others because they are all good in their own ways.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

question..dumb question...

the "breakdown" in the title "21st Century Breakdown"...does that mean like...having a nervous breakdown in the 21st century...or like breaking down and analyzing all thats gone on in the 21st century? or is it a double meaning?

the "breakdown" in the title "21st Century Breakdown"...does that mean like...having a nervous breakdown in the 21st century...or like breaking down and analyzing all thats gone on in the 21st century? or is it a double meaning?

as in analysis, it's a play on words

Not a dumb question.

I think its a double meaning. While Christian and Gloria are analyzing all of the problems of the 21st Century, its also killing them (their drug addiction).

I'm not sure if last night on earth makes me want to be happy or cry. each way i still feel like a giant blob of jello

Not a dumb question.

I think its a double meaning. While Christian and Gloria are analyzing all of the problems of the 21st Century, its also killing them (their drug addiction).

their? I thought that only Christian was a drug addict :unsure:

i don't think that the drug addiction is a problem for Christian.

I think that Christian can't deal, and don't have self-controll to be safe on drugs

This was quickly written - but here was my take on the albums plot:

As far as Plot goes, it's a rather depressing story. From what I can tell, the story is about two lovers - Christian and Gloria - both who rebel against their current government and society. Gloria is the one that wants to lead the way (she is often referenced as being the "light"), whereas Christian just wants to take action and fuck shit up (he is the radical one). At the same time, he finds peace and calm in the love between Gloria and him.

However, Christian has a drug problem (Christian's Inferno/Before the Lobotomy). Sadly we find out, Gloria has one too (?Viva La Gloria?) - which then leads into "Restless Heart Syndrome". To me this is the strongest part of the album - in the way of plot revelation. I'm not entirely sure who this song is about (I assumed it's about Christian, altho since Gloria is also addicted, it could be about both). But the revelation is depicted in the following lyrics:

This then ties back into "Know Your Enemy" - which is in the beginning of the story. This song talks about knowing who your enemy is, so you know what you're fighting for/against. The irony of it all is that they are their OWN worst enemy. Horseshoes and Handgernades is like the climax of the album. In Restless Heart Syndrome the protagonist/s are at their lowest point. The third act opens with an explosion of "I'm not fucking around" - and sees a newly energized protag ready to fuck shit up. This leads to 21 Guns - which is actually a reflection on the Iraq war. It's supposed to be from the perspective of soldiers who feel lost after fighting a war they don't think they should have. At the same time, it also can be used to talk about Christian - since they are not sure if they are fighting the right fights: specifically this line:

Christian is always referenced as "fire", especially on "Last night on Earth" where he actually talks about "losing everything in the fire". But obviously these lyrics are more for the theme of the song (soldiers and war). Finally, American Eulogy and Static Age are pretty similar, in that both are just talking about the negative aspects of society/the media. This then leads to the ending of the album, where Christian and Gloria essentially declare they don't want to live in the Modern World. They don't like how things have become, and pretty much checking out.

"See the Light" ends the album, and basically serves a reflective piece. It talks about Christian crossing rivers, and climbing mountains. Basically looking for the "right way". And the ending..well, has no conclusion. It really gives no answers to all the problems, and it really is left up to the reader. That is the point of the album actually.

It was never quite clear if Christian and Gloria stayed together. I'm going to assume yes, because they are both mentioned in "American Eulogy".

The other songs not mentioned are also important to plot. Altho these are more about "society" - and not so much about the actual characters. So they serve to enhance the world that is described in this story.

So just take what I wrote, and apply it to what Whatsername? said (the whole idea of Christian struggling with believing in this world) - and trying to cope with that.

and this is why i love reading your replies to threads like this.

See my post on page 1. On the song ?Viva La Gloria? - it clearly states that Gloria also has a drug problem. In fact, that entire song is basically from the perspective of calling her a hypocrite. One line comes to mind:

Little girl little girl

You dirty liar

You're just a junkie

Preaching to the choir

I really feel like this album is about personal demons. It has these two protagonist that want to change the world, and are so focused on fighting back the deceit and evil of today's modern society, yet they are their own worst enemy (because of their drug problem). American Idiot had a similar theme. Someone that wanted to bring change, or shake up the establishment, but ultimately failed because of their own shortcomings.

So moral of the story, real change comes from someone that isn't held back by their own personal demons. It comes from someone that can really be an example, and lead the way (which is what Gloria was supposed to be in the earlier acts, according to Christian).

Kate, you did the best analogy so far. Hope you don't mind if I expand on it.

The Plot (IMO) - This is just one idea I had, I'm sure anyone else could expand upon it as well. If you want to, be my guest.

ACT 1

"Song of the Century/21CBD" - Deals with the life that Christain and Gloria are dealing with. The war, terrorism, and the fact that they have to learn to make it on their own.

"Know your Enemy" - Basically more of a narritive standpoint than the 2 couple's. It's asking them, and the listener who is the person they should be angry at.

"¡Viva La Gloria!" - While it is never mentioned when Christain and Gloria met, this is, IMO when he first notices her. He is inspired by her progressive spirit. He wants to stay with her since he feels she will keep him sane

"Before the Lobotomy" - The Lobotomy, probably is Bush's leadership, 9/11 and the Iraq war. Those events are what have pushed christian to be so destructive. He dreams of the time before when he was calmer.

"Christian's inferno" - A look at Christian's personality. This is his biography on the album.

"Last Night on Earth" - Christian's confession to Gloria most likely via phone (I text a postcard sent to you, did it go through), of his love for her. This is their connection moment. It is a positive end to this act.

ACT 2

"East Jesus Nowhere" - While it is never mentioned if Both couples are mad at the church, at least Christian is (ironic eh?). This is his confession to how he feels about the state of religion.

"Peacemaker" - Christain's destructive state is starting to become more organized and inspired thanks to how gloria is having a positive effect on him.

"Last of the American Girls" - A look at Gloria's personality. This is from Christain's point of view.

"Murder City" - Christain realizes he will never be as mobilized or as torch-bearing as Gloria. He feels useless, and wonders if anything he does makes a difference.

"¿Viva La Gloria?" - Surprise surprise, Gloria isn't as pure as Christian first thought, she is a drug addict and a wreck underneath all what Christian first saw in her. Christian now has doubts about her.

"Restless Heart Syndrome" - Drugs are affecting both characters destructively. They are both mad at each other and split angrily. Both characters finally realize their enemy (their destructiveness and the drugs they take). Unlike the last act, this one ends in a negative theme.

ACT 3

"Horseshoes and Handgrenades" - This is Christian's angry rant about life, himself, and Gloria. He has reached a destructive peak. Some of this song might be him actually being physically destructive. He has become a mess.

"Static Age" - Both characters, now both in shambles and living on their own realize that the media has corrupted them, and all of society. They both wonder what life would be like without all the mainstream media.

"21 Guns" - Christian and Gloria, both (at the end of the road), the road being, their will to live, meet up again and make peace again (lay down your arms give up the fight). They also take a look at the fighting in the wars and are inspired to start helping others.

"American Euology" - The two characters become inspired by what is going on and look at all the events that have happened during the Bush years, Hurricane Katrina being a main one. They are unhappy with the class war and how the rich are looked at as higher people. There is so much going on in their world that they realize it is out of their control. They decide they have had enough, and realize the modern world is too much for them to live in.

"See the Light" - Christian and Gloria decide to settle down away from the city, working through hardships to help those in need. They still strive for people to be happy and for there to be peace. They are doubtful, but they still try to (see the light).

Summary -

Act 1- The two meet up in the post bush years and fall in love

Act 2- The two work together, but realize each other's downfalls and angrily split up

Act 3 - Angered at modern society, they reunite and move away from the city to help others and try to make it through life together.

Restless Heart Syndrome is about Gloria.

21st Century Breakdown

This is laying the ground work for Christian's character. I agree that while the album has no story, it does reflect a lot of symbolism. "My generation is zero. I never made it as a working class hero." That line is one of the most powerful ever. Christian, doesn't want to contribute to a society that is doomed to hell from the start. "Born on the Fourth of July" is a phrase meaning someone who is anti-war. Christian is an activist against war. He is raised in an era against a clear line between good and bad. He is tired of having to honor the "Freedom to Obey". Basically, he is a rebellious outsider anti-war activist who is living in a world of mass confusion.

Know Your Enemy

This doesn't really contribute much to the overall.....plot. It's really just a protest song.

¡Viva La Gloria!

It's about a girl named Gloria who is also fighting the same cause as Christian. She wants to lead the revolution and Christian just wants to burn the whole place to the ground. However through all their differences the fight of their lives has been drawn to an undying love. She wants to carry a torch. She's a revolutionist.

Before the Lobotomy

I actually think that this song is in the point of view of Gloria. She is in a solemn state of reflection of how bad a world she lives in. It's all about a calm before the storm. Except in this case, it's a build up to something really bad. Gloria is feeling the pain. She's not a self-medicating junkie though. She gets off on denying herself an outlet for her pain. "I'm not stoned I'm just fucked up".

In the end she ends her rage and goes back to normal.

Christian's Inferno

This just shows how easy it is for a person like Christian to go into a state of rage and hate compared to Gloria. Gloria builds up and builds up and finally releases but doesn't burn the whole place down because she has answers for her problems. Christian however is in a state of confusion and is always on the edge ready to explode.

Last Night on Earth

Another song from the point of view from Gloria. She is basically saying that she loves him despite all the turmoil and will risk everything to be with him. (She'll lose everything in the fire=Christian) A love song that puts everything on the line and she isn't even afraid or sorry about it.

East Jesus Nowhere

It's a song from Christian that is another example of his rage and hate and cynicism and nihilism. He might believe in God. But he also believes that God doesn't believe in him. He feels like an outsider even to God. He blames religion for that because organized religion can make all who don't meet the prerequisites of a true believer are considered outsiders.

Peacemaker

The album is about contrasts. Christian's take on religion is seen in East Jesus Nowhere. Gloria's is heard Peacemaker. It's sort of about how religion is like a military. She actually does believe in God but sees organized religion take the form of an imperialist military. In the end she just chooses to not put her faith in something so hypocritical.

Last of the American Girls

Just what Christian thinks of Gloria. Although I don't believe that Christian and Gloria are "people" per say, I would say that there is a romantic link between the what they represent. Or not really romantic but more......sexual. It's a song about the few people that become a hero for a lost cause just because it is her conviction to do so.

Murder City

It's about a state of total nothingness. Not only do they have not have two legs to stand on but they don't have a crutch either.

¿Viva La Gloria?

I think it's about Gloria being human. She no longer is so brave and revolutionary. She wants an outlet. She chooses self-medication. That's a very symbolic reference to us. We choose to self-medicate instead of facing our problems.

Restless Heart Syndrome

It's about how far you can fall if you don't face your problem. In "Know Your Enemy" we are asked if we know who the enemy is. In Restless Heart Syndrome, we find out that the biggest enemy to us is ourselves.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades

A song about the bitterness felt by Christian and Gloria. They feel that the world has fucked them around. So they will in turn not fuck around with the world.

The Static Age

A song about not knowing what to do.

21 Guns

A song about giving up. I have gone back and forth and I believe that in the plot way of thinking, Gloria has died. The reason I think Gloria died is because of how the world is running out of revolutionists because of the current world we live in. So that all is left is the people that just want to burn down the whole place.

American Eulogy

Christian doesn't care anymore. Now that the last true hero is gone, there is mass hysteria. It's sort of Christian saying he doesn't want to go on anymore. He doesn't care anymore about the world around him.

See The Light

It's about Christian coming to the realization that Gloria would want him to continue the fight. He just wants to know if it's worth the fight and pain to go through it still.

All in all, the album is about world. We are all in a state of mass hysteria. We have lost the urge to put in half a measure of care in the fight anymore. The world is so apathetic. The band is offering any solutions as to what to do. They are just saying that we are going to have to carry the torch if we want the rest of the world to join the fight.

The Plot (IMO) - This is just one idea I had, I'm sure anyone else could expand upon it as well. If you want to, be my guest.

ACT 1

"Song of the Century/21CBD" - Deals with the life that Christain and Gloria are dealing with. The war, terrorism, and the fact that they have to learn to make it on their own.

"Know your Enemy" - Basically more of a narritive standpoint than the 2 couple's. It's asking them, and the listener who is the person they should be angry at.

"¡Viva La Gloria!" - While it is never mentioned when Christain and Gloria met, this is, IMO when he first notices her. He is inspired by her progressive spirit. He wants to stay with her since he feels she will keep him sane

"Before the Lobotomy" - The Lobotomy, probably is Bush's leadership, 9/11 and the Iraq war. Those events are what have pushed christian to be so destructive. He dreams of the time before when he was calmer.

"Christian's inferno" - A look at Christian's personality. This is his biography on the album.

"Last Night on Earth" - Christian's confession to Gloria most likely via phone (I text a postcard sent to you, did it go through), of his love for her. This is their connection moment. It is a positive end to this act.

ACT 2

"East Jesus Nowhere" - While it is never mentioned if Both couples are mad at the church, at least Christian is (ironic eh?). This is his confession to how he feels about the state of religion.

"Peacemaker" - Christain's destructive state is starting to become more organized and inspired thanks to how gloria is having a positive effect on him.

"Last of the American Girls" - A look at Gloria's personality. This is from Christain's point of view.

"Murder City" - Christain realizes he will never be as mobilized or as torch-bearing as Gloria. He feels useless, and wonders if anything he does makes a difference.

"¿Viva La Gloria?" - Surprise surprise, Gloria isn't as pure as Christian first thought, she is a drug addict and a wreck underneath all what Christian first saw in her. Christian now has doubts about her.

"Restless Heart Syndrome" - Drugs are affecting both characters destructively. They are both mad at each other and split angrily. Both characters finally realize their enemy (their destructiveness and the drugs they take). Unlike the last act, this one ends in a negative theme.

ACT 3

"Horseshoes and Handgrenades" - This is Christian's angry rant about life, himself, and Gloria. He has reached a destructive peak. Some of this song might be him actually being physically destructive. He has become a mess.

"Static Age" - Both characters, now both in shambles and living on their own realize that the media has corrupted them, and all of society. They both wonder what life would be like without all the mainstream media.

"21 Guns" - Christian and Gloria, both (at the end of the road), the road being, their will to live, meet up again and make peace again (lay down your arms give up the fight). They also take a look at the fighting in the wars and are inspired to start helping others.

"American Euology" - The two characters become inspired by what is going on and look at all the events that have happened during the Bush years, Hurricane Katrina being a main one. They are unhappy with the class war and how the rich are looked at as higher people. There is so much going on in their world that they realize it is out of their control. They decide they have had enough, and realize the modern world is too much for them to live in.

"See the Light" - Christian and Gloria decide to settle down away from the city, working through hardships to help those in need. They still strive for people to be happy and for there to be peace. They are doubtful, but they still try to (see the light).

Summary -

Act 2- The two work together, but realize each other's downfalls and angrily split up

Act 3 - Angered at modern society, they reunite and move away from the city to help others and try to make it through life together.

WoW, amazing. :)

ACT 1

ACT 2

"Peacemaker" - Christian's destructive state is starting to become more organized and inspired thanks to how Gloria is having a positive effect on him.

"Last of the American Girls" - A look at Gloria's personality. This is from Christian's point of view.

"Murder City" - Christian realizes he will never be as mobilized or as torch-bearing as Gloria. He feels useless, and wonders if anything he does makes a difference.

ACT 3

Summary -

Pretty damn accurate IMO. Well done. Only thing I would add is - I think Murder City is about both of them (not just Christian) feeling helpless. "We are the last call And we're so pathetic". So really, I think Gloria and Christian spend time in the corrupted city, and they feel overwhelmed by all the deceit and lies. This also ties back into "Peacemaker" - where Christian think he is bad ass, and even goes out and buys a gun. But I think when push comes to shove, he realizes he is a small fish in a big pond.

Great analysis of 21 guns. It actually does fit the story perfect (as far as Christian and Gloria making up). Especially this line:

Did you try to live on your own

When you burned down the house and home?

Did you stand too close to the fire?

Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone.

Christian is always talking about fire, and in "Last night On Earth" - "If I lose everything in the fire". So to me, this line is from the perspective of Gloria talking to Christian. But it can go both ways really.

I would also add, "Before the Lobotomy" is also about his drug addiction. It's basically him slipping into madness:

Well I'm not stoned

I'm just fucked up

I got so high I can't stand up

Edit: I can def see your point of view with Murder City now. It's without a doubt more about Christian then Gloria. And I'm starting to realize you are right, I think he specifically feels underwhelmed. I think Gloria does too (as she loses control shortly after) - but I think this one is more about Christian.

also... "Murder City" is yes about both of them, but it's Gloria speaking.

I imagine 21st Century Breakdown as the class of 13 looking into a photo album that is basically about Christian and Gloria. Each picture, like each song, come together to form a story. Note that there's a lot of play on words in the relationship between Christian and Gloria.

It is about the year 2009 and it starts in darkness with some kids from the class of 13 being disillusioned and alienated now. In Song of the Century, they don't want war and they need some people to look up to or be representative of them. They find a photo album probably with some text written in it like journal entries and open it up to find pictures of Christian and Gloria. These pictures are arranged in such a way that a story can be formed from it and are dated back to earlier in the 21st century, about 2001-3.

The first act basically provides exposition for us. 21st Century Breakdown is about the class of 13, Christian, and Gloria. Christian and Gloria are introduced as two people who are born in the Nixon era, raised in the era of heroes and cons, and laughs at "the 'freedom to obey'". Both are basically revolutionists crying for America to see its faults. At one point in the song, the perspective is switched back to the readers showing that they totally related to Christian and Gloria. The class look on and see these two people in this protest to "know Your enemy". They want people to realize that the enemy is silence and the people themselves. Next, comes some pictures of Gloria. She is Christian's light and reason for living. She carries the torch so that Christian can use it to burn everything down. Before the Lobotomy gives the readers more background on her. It's revealed that she longs for the past and the class sees that she has a drug addiction problem. Gloria longs for the time when she wasn't so sedated by drugs and when she had so much more vigor in her. It's seen that she's writing her "love a lost memory", or really a rejection letter, because she's "not in love 'cause I'm[she's] a mess." It is possible that she feels like Christian has somewhat lost his ideals or maybe sold out. In the next series of photographs, the class is provided with some information on Christian as well. He is the fiery type of character who acts before he thinks. He got Gloria's rejection in the mail and he somehow knows that it is one so he just rips it up. He can't really accept that she doesn't love him anymore because he thinks that he is "the chosen one" for her. After getting that rejection letter, he starts to take some pills as well, which fires him up and is about to go on a rampage. At one photograph, the class sees that Christian is also writing her something on text message. It is basically a love letter that says that he honors her to the death until that apocalyptic "Last Night on Earth". Now he goes on actually destroying and questioning all around him.

The second act shows the continual decline of both characters. Now the class of 13 is looking at Christian rallying everyone up against religion, which is the religion that he used to be affiliated with. He points out the hypocrisies calls for everyone to go against it. He questions who the "Charlatans and Saints" are. He says that he along with everyone else against the church will be the saints and points out that the figures of the church ("Missionary politicians / and the cops of a new religion") are nothing but charlatans. It is warned though that if he does go through with his destruction of religion, "you[he] will disappear". He still goes through with it though. Now with the mass of people that Christian has gathered, he goes on his actual destruction of the church and so much more. Through his torching down of everything, he continually thinks of Gloria. He wants to "call the assassin / the orgasm", or he sees what he is doing is for Gloria. However, at the end, he sees that a lot is out of control and he wants to call a "peacemaker" who is actually Gloria. However, he wants her to possibly die saying "death to the girl at the end of the serenade" for being a catalyst to make him cause so much harm and pain, but he soon realizes that he loves her and doesn't want that for her because she's the "Last of the American Girls". There's no one like her; "she's one of a kind". After the riot, Gloria comes but it's too late. There's nothing but desolation and fire everywhere in "Murder City". The effect of the pills have worn off and "Christian's crying in the bathroom". He is so remorseful for this. Both are now so "Desperate / But not hopeless". Gloria feels like she could have prevented all this but she didn't, and Christian feels his ideals have strayed so far from his original ones that he destroys more than what he wanted to. How the "Little Girl" is running away from everything because of the guilt. Christian runs after her and and manages to catch up with her. He says to her she's a "dirty liar" and "just a junkie / preaching to the choir". He leaves her standing there crying. Gloria goes back home and does more drugs to "ease the pain" and "loser my[her] memory". At this point, she's hit rock bottom because of her "Restless Heart Syndrome". There's nothing more she wants to do other than "to find a way to run away". However, at some point, she realizes that it's no syndrome, it's her. She's "victim of my[her] symptom" and Christian is "a victim of the system". Each is their own worst enemy like what they were preaching about earlier in their lives. She realizes that she has to clean herself up to help Christian as well.

The third act is about finding salvation. Now pictures switch back to Chirstian. He's lost everything and has nothing to lose. Once he had Gloria to care about and almost hold him back to his ideals, now there's no one their for him. He just goes on this self-destructive path and is "gonna burn it all down"; he's no longer "fucking around". Though he's lost Gloria, he's still annihilating everything in his path and afterwards screaming, "G-L-O-R-I-A". At this point, Christian has hit rock bottom too. He feels so disillusioned and disconnected from everything and everyone in the "Static Age". Gloria was the only one who he felt safe with but now there's no one there. "All I[he] want to know / is a god-damned thing." He doesn't want to do anymore drugs to help him cope with this. All he really can do is protest against religion and the government even though he "can't see a thing in the video" or "hear a sound in the radio". In the midst of Christian destroying everything, Gloria comes for him. She calls for him to "lay down your arms / [and] give up the fight". She sees that Christian has "lost all control" and his "mind breaks the spirit of your[his] soul." There is no more point of fighting, because she is there for him, and hopefully she can fill that "something instide this heart [that] has died". The photo album ends there almost on an uncertain note. We switch back to the class of 13, who is very distraught from what they have seen and read. They see America now is in "Mass Hysteria" and no longer want to live in this "Modern World". They are now "calling Christian and Gloria" for what to do now. There's just uncertainty of the present and future left. Now the class, Christian, and Gloria all want to "See the Light". Each want to knoow "whta's worth the fight". Christan and Gloria have been through so much that there's nothing left but hope. Then the class can only hope as well. They must hope that it's "never too later / where the ever after / is in the hands of fate."

With the help of "PerfectPitchRob" - I have made a re-vised story/time line:

ACT 1

"Song of the Century/21CBD" - This serves an introductory piece, basically lays down the foundation for the story. It examines the life that Christian and Gloria are dealing with. The war, terrorism, and the fact that they have to learn to make it on their own – as even the adults that raised them cannot be trusted. “Raised by the bastards of 1969”.

"Know your Enemy” – this song serves as a narrative piece rather then talking specifically about the plot (the couple). It's asking them, and the listener who is the person they should be angry at. – who is the enemy. It also serves as a story device, because later on in the story we return to the question – “do you know the enemy?”'

"¡Viva La Gloria!" - While it is never mentioned when Christian Gloria met, this is when he first notices her. He is inspired by her progressive spirit and ideals. It also shows how the two have banded together, as they are in the “fight of their lives” and “pushed to the edge”. He wants to stay with her since he feels she will keep him sane. It also shows a glimpse of how Christian views her. He calls her “the saint of all sinners”.

"Before the Lobotomy" – This song has two layers to it. On it’s surface, it’s about Christian slowly losing his mind. He has started to get involved in drugs to numb the pain. “Well I’m not stoned, I’m just fucked up, I get so high I can’t stand up”. It even shows how Christian is a bit in denial, as he proclaims he’s not really getting stoned. On a deeper level, the song also talks about themes of the 21st Century Breakdown world. Such as Bush's leadership, 9/11 and the Iraq war. Those events are what have pushed Christian to be so angry/destructive and mistrusting of his government - he dreams of the time before when he and the world was calmer. The title also says it all, it’s literally Christian dwelling on who he used to be – before he is about to have a Lobotomy (drugs etc).

"Christian's inferno" – This song is a look at Christian's personality. This is his biography on the album – and it shows how much rage and anger he has built up; he is a loose cannon. His drug uses is also briefly mentioned – “This bitter pill is chased with blood”. But it also brings Gloria into the equation, because he now feels like she is the spark that can ignite his fire. (Fire is a recurring theme to describe Christian) – “Maybe you're the chemical reaction, I am the Atomic Bomb, I am the chosen one. Toxin Your Reservoir”.

"Last Night on Earth" – This is Christian’s love letter to Gloria - Christian's confession to Gloria most likely via phone (I text a postcard sent to you, did it go through), of his love for her. This is their connection moment. It is a positive end to this act, and really serves as a calming point for Christian. No matter how fucked up things get, he knows he has their love. He also mentions that “if he loses everything in the fire” – he will “send all his love” to her. This is a foreshadow to the end of the story.

ACT 2

"East Jesus Nowhere" – This song tackles the hypocrisy in modern religions. It also serves as Christians and Gloria’s negative experiences with the church, although it’s mainly from Christian (there is irony in his name). This is his confession to how he feels about the state of religion, and the people who vote on religious reasons alone.

"Peacemaker" - Christian's destructive state is starting to become more organized and inspired thanks to how Gloria is having a positive effect on him. This also serves as splitting point between the couple. While they aren’t actually fighting, Gloria is more about changing things with voice and ideas/rebelling while Christian is more about physical action. This song depicts him buying a berretta.

"Last of the American Girls" – This is Christian’s take on Gloria, and her personality. He basically holds her to the highest regard, and praises her for everything she is, and he is not. “She's the last of the American girls.” He loves how she doesn’t “Cooperate” – and furthermore, he really looks up to her. She is his anchor.

"Murder City" - This song is about Christian’s insecurities, and how he feels worthless. This song is split up into two perspectives. The first part is Christian, as he stays awake after the riots not being able to sleep. - "I'm awake after the riots". He realizes he will never be as mobilized or as torch-bearing as Gloria. This also calls back to “Peacemaker” when he had a gun, and felt tough. But when push comes to shove, as they get deeper into the city, he realizes he is being overwhelmed by the evil and deceit that runs the city. Because of this, he feels useless, and wonders if anything he does makes a difference. This song also starts to show a crack in the couples relationship, and this part of the song is from Gloria's perspective: – “Christian is crying in the bathroom, and I just want to bum a cigarette”. It shows that Christian is emotionally venerable here, and Gloria is having a tough time dealing with it. The song is more about Christian being helpless, but it also ties Gloria into it when she says “We are the last call, and we're so pathetic”.

"¿Viva La Gloria?" - Surprise surprise, Gloria isn't as pure as Christian thought, as this song reveals that she is a drug addict and a wreck underneath all what Christian first saw in her. Christian now has doubts about her – as his whole life has been full of lies and deceit. Not necessarily Gloria’s fault, but Christian really held her up as inspiration, and she was the perfection that he was not. This song also serves as a “conscience” piece, as Gloria is starting to fall apart, and feel guilty for what she is doing. “Little girl little girl, you dirty liar, you’re just a junkie preaching to the choir.” “Runaway, to you’re lost tranquility, and find yourself with your face in the gutter.”

"Restless Heart Syndrome" - Drugs are affecting both characters destructively at this point. “ I got this really bad disease, it has me begging on my hands and knees. Please take me to Emergency”. “I’m elated, medicated”. They are both mad at each other and split angrily. This song acts as the big revelation in the story, and calls back to “Know Your Enemy”. The twist is that they are their own worst enemy. This whole time they were trying to fight deceit – yet they were deceiving themselves. “I'm a victim of my symptom, I am my own worst enemy, You're a victim of your symptom, You are your own worst enemy – Know Your Enemy”. As a result both characters finally realize who their enemy is (their destructiveness and the drugs they take). Unlike the last act, this one ends in a negative theme – and serves as the protagonist “lowest points”. Restless Heart is also a stab at the pharmaceutical companies, who now seem to prescribe you drugs for whatever “ails you”.

ACT 3

"Horseshoes and Handgrenades" - This is basically part two to “Christian’s Inferno”. It serves as Christian's angry rant about life, himself, and Gloria. He has reached a destructive peak. Some of this song is actually about him being physically destructive. He has become a mess. “So don't you fuck me around, Because I'll shoot you down, I'm gonna drink, fight and fuck , And pushing my luck., All the time now”. “Well, you missed me kissed me Now you better kick me down” - I'm not fucking around G-L-O-R-I-A”.

"Static Age" - Both characters, now both in shambles and living on their own realize that the media has corrupted them, and all of society. They both wonder what life would be like without all the mainstream media. This is social commentary about how bogged down/saturated the media has become. – and as a result, they can longer see or hear what is going on, because of all the static. "All I want to do is i want to breathe, Batteries are not included”.

"21 Guns" - Christian and Gloria, both (at the end of the road), the road being, their will to live, meet up again and make peace again (lay down your arms give up the fight). –“Did you try to live on your own? When you burned down the house and home? Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone ” – the fire is a reference to Christian, and calls back to “Last Night on Earth” when he said if I “lose everything in the fire”. They also take a look at the fighting in the wars and are inspired to start helping others. This song also serves as a perspective of a soldier who has lost his faith in a fight – that is not his fight - a fight that has no purpose. This really sums up how Christian and Gloria have been feeling – have they been fighting a fight worth fighting?

"American Eulogy" - The two characters become inspired by what is going on and look at all the events that have happened during the Bush years, Hurricane Katrina being a main one. They are unhappy with the class war and how the rich are looked at as higher people. There is so much going on in their world that they realize it is out of their control. The song also serves as a swipe at the mainstream media, as they like to use scare tactics to cause “Mass Hysteria”. The conclusion of the song (and pretty much the album) is that they decide they have had enough, and realize the modern world is too much for them to live in. It’s too corrupted, and they don’t think they can do anything to change it. “'Cause I don't give a shit about the modern age!” – “I don’t want to live in the modern world!”.

"See the Light" - Christian and Gloria decide to settle down away from the city, working through hardships to help those in need. They still strive for people to be happy and for there to be peace. They are doubtful, but they still try to (see the light) at the end of a deep and dark tunnel. The ending is very open-ended, and does not offer solutions. Because the current climate is still going on today, there is no answer. It’s left up to the listener to think for a solution.

Summary -

With the help of "PerfectPitchRob" - I have made a re-vised story/time line:

ACT 1

"Song of the Century/21CBD" - This serves an introductory piece, basically lays down the foundation for the story. It examines the life that Christian and Gloria are dealing with. The war, terrorism, and the fact that they have to learn to make it on their own – as even the adults that raised them cannot be trusted. “Raised by the bastards of 1969”.

"Know your Enemy” – this song serves as a narrative piece rather then talking specifically about the plot (the couple). It's asking them, and the listener who is the person they should be angry at. – who is the enemy. It also serves as a story device, because later on in the story we return to the question – “do you know the enemy?”'

"¡Viva La Gloria!" - While it is never mentioned when Christian Gloria met, this is when he first notices her. He is inspired by her progressive spirit and ideals. It also shows how the two have banded together, as they are in the “fight of their lives” and “pushed to the edge”. He wants to stay with her since he feels she will keep him sane. It also shows a glimpse of how Christian views her. He calls her “the saint of all sinners”.

"Before the Lobotomy" – This song has two layers to it. On it’s surface, it’s about Christian slowly losing his mind. He has started to get involved in drugs to numb the pain. “Well I’m not stoned, I’m just fucked up, I get so high I can’t stand up”. It even shows how Christian is a bit in denial, as he proclaims he’s not really getting stoned. On a deeper level, the song also talks about themes of the 21st Century Breakdown world. Such as Bush's leadership, 9/11 and the Iraq war. Those events are what have pushed Christian to be so angry/destructive and mistrusting of his government - he dreams of the time before when he and the world was calmer. The title also says it all, it’s literally Christian dwelling on who he used to be – before he is about to have a Lobotomy (drugs etc).

"Christian's inferno" – This song is a look at Christian's personality. This is his biography on the album – and it shows how much rage and anger he has built up; he is a loose cannon. His drug uses is also briefly mentioned – “This bitter pill is chased with blood”. But it also brings Gloria into the equation, because he now feels like she is the spark that can ignite his fire. (Fire is a recurring theme to describe Christian) – “Maybe you're the chemical reaction, I am the Atomic Bomb, I am the chosen one. Toxin Your Reservoir”.

"Last Night on Earth" – This is Christian’s love letter to Gloria - Christian's confession to Gloria most likely via phone (I text a postcard sent to you, did it go through), of his love for her. This is their connection moment. It is a positive end to this act, and really serves as a calming point for Christian. No matter how fucked up things get, he knows he has their love. He also mentions that “if he loses everything in the fire” – he will “send all his love” to her. This is a foreshadow to the end of the story.

ACT 2

"East Jesus Nowhere" – This song tackles the hypocrisy in modern religions. It also serves as Christians and Gloria’s negative experiences with the church, although it’s mainly from Christian (there is irony in his name). This is his confession to how he feels about the state of religion, and the people who vote on religious reasons alone.

"Peacemaker" - Christian's destructive state is starting to become more organized and inspired thanks to how Gloria is having a positive effect on him. This also serves as splitting point between the couple. While they aren’t actually fighting, Gloria is more about changing things with voice and ideas/rebelling while Christian is more about physical action. This song depicts him buying a berretta.

"Last of the American Girls" – This is Christian’s take on Gloria, and her personality. He basically holds her to the highest regard, and praises her for everything she is, and he is not. “She's the last of the American girls.” He loves how she doesn’t “Cooperate” – and furthermore, he really looks up to her. She is his anchor.

"Murder City" - This song is about Christian’s insecurities, and how he feels worthless. This song is split up into two perspectives. The first part is Christian, as he stays awake after the riots not being able to sleep. - "I'm awake after the riots". He realizes he will never be as mobilized or as torch-bearing as Gloria. This also calls back to “Peacemaker” when he had a gun, and felt tough. But when push comes to shove, as they get deeper into the city, he realizes he is being overwhelmed by the evil and deceit that runs the city. Because of this, he feels useless, and wonders if anything he does makes a difference. This song also starts to show a crack in the couples relationship, and this part of the song is from Gloria's perspective: – “Christian is crying in the bathroom, and I just want to bum a cigarette”. It shows that Christian is emotionally venerable here, and Gloria is having a tough time dealing with it. The song is more about Christian being helpless, but it also ties Gloria into it when she says “We are the last call, and we're so pathetic”.

"¿Viva La Gloria?" - Surprise surprise, Gloria isn't as pure as Christian thought, as this song reveals that she is a drug addict and a wreck underneath all what Christian first saw in her. Christian now has doubts about her – as his whole life has been full of lies and deceit. Not necessarily Gloria’s fault, but Christian really held her up as inspiration, and she was the perfection that he was not. This song also serves as a “conscience” piece, as Gloria is starting to fall apart, and feel guilty for what she is doing. “Little girl little girl, you dirty liar, you’re just a junkie preaching to the choir.” “Runaway, to you’re lost tranquility, and find yourself with your face in the gutter.”

"Restless Heart Syndrome" - Drugs are affecting both characters destructively at this point. “ I got this really bad disease, it has me begging on my hands and knees. Please take me to Emergency”. “I’m elated, medicated”. They are both mad at each other and split angrily. This song acts as the big revelation in the story, and calls back to “Know Your Enemy”. The twist is that they are their own worst enemy. This whole time they were trying to fight deceit – yet they were deceiving themselves. “I'm a victim of my symptom, I am my own worst enemy, You're a victim of your symptom, You are your own worst enemy – Know Your Enemy”. As a result both characters finally realize who their enemy is (their destructiveness and the drugs they take). Unlike the last act, this one ends in a negative theme – and serves as the protagonist “lowest points”. Restless Heart is also a stab at the pharmaceutical companies, who now seem to prescribe you drugs for whatever “ails you”.

ACT 3

"Horseshoes and Handgrenades" - This is basically part two to “Christian’s Inferno”. It serves as Christian's angry rant about life, himself, and Gloria. He has reached a destructive peak. Some of this song is actually about him being physically destructive. He has become a mess. “So don't you fuck me around, Because I'll shoot you down, I'm gonna drink, fight and fuck , And pushing my luck., All the time now”. “Well, you missed me kissed me Now you better kick me down” - I'm not fucking around G-L-O-R-I-A”.

"Static Age" - Both characters, now both in shambles and living on their own realize that the media has corrupted them, and all of society. They both wonder what life would be like without all the mainstream media. This is social commentary about how bogged down/saturated the media has become. – and as a result, they can longer see or hear what is going on, because of all the static. "All I want to do is i want to breathe, Batteries are not included”.

"21 Guns" - Christian and Gloria, both (at the end of the road), the road being, their will to live, meet up again and make peace again (lay down your arms give up the fight). –“Did you try to live on your own? When you burned down the house and home? Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone ” – the fire is a reference to Christian, and calls back to “Last Night on Earth” when he said if I “lose everything in the fire”. They also take a look at the fighting in the wars and are inspired to start helping others. This song also serves as a perspective of a soldier who has lost his faith in a fight – that is not his fight - a fight that has no purpose. This really sums up how Christian and Gloria have been feeling – have they been fighting a fight worth fighting?

"American Eulogy" - The two characters become inspired by what is going on and look at all the events that have happened during the Bush years, Hurricane Katrina being a main one. They are unhappy with the class war and how the rich are looked at as higher people. There is so much going on in their world that they realize it is out of their control. The song also serves as a swipe at the mainstream media, as they like to use scare tactics to cause “Mass Hysteria”. The conclusion of the song (and pretty much the album) is that they decide they have had enough, and realize the modern world is too much for them to live in. It’s too corrupted, and they don’t think they can do anything to change it. “'Cause I don't give a shit about the modern age!” – “I don’t want to live in the modern world!”.

"See the Light" - Christian and Gloria decide to settle down away from the city, working through hardships to help those in need. They still strive for people to be happy and for there to be peace. They are doubtful, but they still try to (see the light) at the end of a deep and dark tunnel. The ending is very open-ended, and does not offer solutions. Because the current climate is still going on today, there is no answer. It’s left up to the listener to think for a solution.

Summary -

I really love your take on the story. :) After Little Girl. it seems like the split up, where do they get back together, because it seems like you imply they do.

“Runaway, to you’re lost tranquility, and find yourself with your face in the gutter.”

I really love your take on the story. :) After Little Girl. it seems like the split up, where do they get back together, because it seems like you imply they do.

“Runaway, to you’re lost tranquility, and find yourself with your face in the gutter.”

Yes, they get back together in 21 Guns - if you follow our storyline. That is the song where they make up.

Did anyone think about what kind of drugs they might be doing? i think Christian is your conventional junkie ,you know illegal drugs LSD that kind of stuff and what i got from songs like Little girl is that ,gloria preaches to people against drugs and its ill effects while probhably being dependant perhaps on prescribed medicines like sleeping pills or painkillers etc,i think this why Christian calls her a hypocrite,while she probhably fails to see the similarity between the two..Also , the negetivity he shows towards Gloria , i see it more as adifference in method than her actually being wrong.Christian being the more violent impatient one ,probhably starts seeing Gloria as soft and non commital to the cause .

Did anyone think about what kind of drugs they might be doing? i think Christian is your conventional junkie ,you know illegal drugs LSD that kind of stuff and what i got from songs like Little girl is that ,gloria preaches to people against drugs and its ill effects while probhably being dependant perhaps on prescribed medicines like sleeping pills or painkillers etc,i think this why Christian calls her a hypocrite,while she probhably fails to see the similarity between the two..Also , the negetivity he shows towards Gloria , i see it more as adifference in method than her actually being wrong.Christian being the more violent impatient one ,probhably starts seeing Gloria as soft and non commital to the cause .

I'm thinking maybe Pain Killers. Because Billie Joe said they wanted to tackle the subject of "Pharmaceutical Companies" in the US. Also why in Restless Heart Syndrome it says "Take me to the pharmacy, so I can lose my memory".

Then on Christian's Inferno it say "This bitter pill is chased with blood" - another imagery of a pill. But of course, it could be any kind of drug. Whatever they are, I think they are in pill form, as there is no mention of needles or spoons. No mention of Marijuana (like on AI) either.

^ yea, i think Christian's drug abuse goes beyond marijuana.

whatever he's on, it's effects are almost projected through his discontent and violence. (and pot doesnt take you "to the emergency" unless you have a health problem).

as for Gloria, i agree with sroy when they said that she preaches against drugs, but she herself takes advantage of perscriptions, see can't see the correlation, and Christian calls her out by saying she's a hypocrite.

holy hell, this album's alot deeper than i thought before i listen to it in it's entirety.

^ yea, i think Christian's drug abuse goes beyond marijuana.

whatever he's on, it's effects are almost projected through his discontent and violence. (and pot doesnt take you "to the emergency" unless you have a health problem).

as for Gloria, i agree with sroy when they said that she preaches against drugs, but she herself takes advantage of perscriptions, see can't see the correlation, and Christian calls her out by saying she's a hypocrite.

holy hell, this album's alot deeper than i thought before i listen to it in it's entirety.

Oh i know. Just writing all of that story line exhausted me. Trying to piece together the plot, and all the messages is tiring. They went all out on this album.

Archived