What Green Day Album would you recommend to a new listener?

xVanessa86x

International Superhits, American Idiot and Dookie. Get a chance to hear all there hits, and get a taste of how they sound now and to listen to Green Days best album (I may think different after hearing 21st CBD)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shenanigans. I have no real reason for suggesting this, other than the fact that it's my favorite album. Kerplunk is pretty good too.

I'd probably say Warning. It has a variety of all of their sounds on there...and it's just a great album in general.

I agree, even though I'm not a huge fan of Warning. Songs like "Minority" and "Warning" define the album, and if the person likes "Waiting" I'd introduce them to nimrod. In a way though, maybe American Idiot too, but it's hard to find someone who doesn't know any songs off that album, so I'd say straight to Warning.

• 2 months later...

International Super Hits, just so they can get a taste from every album (excluding American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown). Then, definitely 1039/smoothed and Kerplunk. :)

Gotta be Dookie or American Idiot! One for the punks the other for everyone! :cool:

21CB, AI, and International Superhits...because I think their new sound is beautiful and you have to be a true fan to love the older stuff, but their old hits are phenomenal! I like AI and 21CB because I think they are very complete albums and I love every song.

International Superhits to start, just so they could get a taste of Green Day, also because Green Day has so much more music than just 21CB & AI. But 21CB & AI have a more complete sound, the albulms flow so well.

Definitely American Idiot. Then once you are aquainted with that sound, I suggest listening to all of the albums in reverse order so you can hear how their music has developed over the years.

American Idiot, no doubts!

This is the best album to represent them

I would NOT recommend Warning!

VERY bad choice!

Warning is one of Green Day's worst albums.

While of course I love it, it's considered one of the worst by people who aren't die hard fans.

and Warning doesn't demonstrate different Green Day styles.

Nimrod is definitely one I'd recommend. It has angry, fast, slow, sad, and love songs. Now THAT'S a variety... NOT Warning!

^Hmm, well when someone played me a song off Warning, Minority, when it came out in 2000 and tried to tell me Green Day were the best thing ever, I was unimpressed and didn't listen to him (the fool I was), and therefore didn't discover them until 5 years later. Definitely a failure :lol:. But when I wanted to 'convert' my sister to Green Day, when I finally convinced her to borrow an album it was Warning and she loved it, she was instantly hooked on Green Day and still is. So it could work, it's a gamble!

Then again Warning was the last Green Day album I bought and there was something really great about hearing it last. It was as if the last piece of the puzzle slotted into place and I could suddenly see how their albums had evolved through the years so much clearer. So yeah, listen to Warning last and it will make you smile :D

So it could work, it's a gamble!

That's because she just so happened to like its sound. However, when first introducing a band to someone, you don't wanna give them an album with very similar sounding songs, because if they don't like one song, they don't like them all. Which is why I suggested Nimrod. I mean, look at the huge difference between Good Riddance and Platypus! My mom listens Good Riddance, and my heavy rock friends would love Platypus!

probably international superhits, but i dunno cos all the green day albums have a different sound so it depends on there tastes in music i suppose. Everyones different so the one you love isn't necessarily the one anyone else would love, personally i love warning, my friend adores kerplunk, my auntie loves dookie and my mum loves nimrod, so we're all different but all love green day...so yeah it depends on there tastes

I think that we all agree with International superhits, because it has a big varity(don't know how write it). But if I got a chose another one.

I will say Amercian Idiot, the strory and the sound are really great.

I got just a little thing to say to the person who think that Warning is really bad and that it don't represent Green Day.

To me Warning is not a bad album, it's just a part of the evolution of GD. I think that BJ,Tré and Mike got to made this album to be able to made better album like AI and 21stCBD!!

Nimrod or Warning. It two of the best albums they have ever created.

Dookie.

I think it's pretty easy for someone who doesn't know them to fall in love with them when he hears it.

I actually recommended to my wife that she listen to 21CB in advance of the upcoming DC concert so she could get an introduction to their current material, which wraps a power-pop style around a punk core and also gets a few ballads out there. Must've been the right approach because she came back yesterday asking for more. :)

Archived