American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I'm so happy it's coming to Detroit next year! I was crossing my fingers for somewhere around Ohio.

Tempe, AZ dates were announced. But I'm too lazy to look them up again. LOL. Check my signature for tour dates. :lol:

hopefully there will be more dates released......

Oh, yeah. The different cities announce their seasons as different times. It's been rolling until the production gives an official press release or announcement. Usually, a national tour is like 18 cities with an option to extend. My main concern about the tour is finding theaters that can hold the set without compromising it too much. :unsure:

And yes, hopefully he'll close out the show if indeed that happens.

That'd be great if he did...close out the Broadway run with a bang (and another kick in the box office ass!) before it tours.

Besides, when Billie is working with the show he gets scary creative and he seems to actually stay out of trouble -- I suspect these two aspects of him are very closely related. :happy:

So since AI is going to be in Toronto from Dec. 28th to Jan. 15th...new year's GDC party in Toronto? :runaround:

Sounds very interesting to me ... :whistle:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/with-billie-joe-gone-american-idiot-ticket-sales-plunge/?partner=rss&emc=rss

As the Green Day song in Broadway’s “American Idiot” goes, “give me novacaine” — please. In its first week of performances without the band’s frontman, Billie Joe Armstrong, as the special guest star in the cast, “American Idiot” saw a painful drop in its box office grosses, falling from $1.3 million to $395,275 for its standard eight performances through Sunday.

There's a lot more in the article, so you should check it out.

• Like 1

Ouch! I figured ticket sales would drop, but not that much. It's a little surprising actually. I loved the OBC and Billie, but there are some great performers there now as well. And I would have thought that Davey was enough of a high-profile figure to keep sales up. I definitely want to go see it at least one more time!

The feeling outside the theater for the first night of St. Davey after Billie had left was so strange. It was completely dead. No one was excited for the lotto winners anymore. It even got to the point where on the second night, pretty much everyone who entered lotto was guaranteed to win because there were only about 20 people. And when you're so used to hear people laughing or cheering during certain parts of the play and you don't hear it anymore...it made me feel bad for the cast that they have to perform to that desolation after Billie left.

Is this the same article Velocity posted at the top of the page?

ah yeah. I read the thread, didn't see a link for it. My bad.

ah yeah. I read the thread, didn't see a link for it. My bad.

No, not bad. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't miss linking to something else.

The feeling outside the theater for the first night of St. Davey after Billie had left was so strange. It was completely dead. No one was excited for the lotto winners anymore. It even got to the point where on the second night, pretty much everyone who entered lotto was guaranteed to win because there were only about 20 people. And when you're so used to hear people laughing or cheering during certain parts of the play and you don't hear it anymore...it made me feel bad for the cast that they have to perform to that desolation after Billie left.

I wasn't even there after Billie, JGJ and Esper left, but knowing what an amazing experience it was while they were there, this is just sad :( Like, it must be a real emotional knock to go from playing a sold-out theater each night, with cheering and standing ovations to a half-full house without much excitement. I'll be glad when they go on tour, cause then they'll be playing to audiences who haven't seen the show yet.

Chase is on again for Johnny tonight. :)

i think it may be time for the show to keep its head down a bit...

Um... exactly how will they do that, pray tell?

That reminds me of the feeling you get when watching the show surrounded by people who are just not into the amazingness that is American Idiot.

That was the case for me about half of the times I've seen it, and even though it shouldn't, it kind of hindered my level of excitement.

**crosses fingers for a stop in TX**

Although, I was supposed to go to Toronto eventually :whistle

Chase is on again for Johnny tonight. :)

Um... exactly how will they do that, pray tell?

What's Wrong With Van?

American Idiot Suffers After Armstrong Exit

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/american-idiot-suffers-after-armstrong-exit_1206054

Broadway musical American Idiot is struggling to attract fans since Billie Joe Armstrong wrapped up his guest stint onstage - ticket sales have plummeted following the rocker's exit last month (Feb11).

The rocker helped to compose and write the musical, which is based on songs by his band Green Day, and he made his Broadway debut when he joined the cast for a short run of dates last September (10).

He reprised the role of drug dealer St. Jimmy for another set of special performances in the New Year (11), taking over from original castmember Tony Vincent. He performed on and off until 27 February (11).

Armstrong's appearances won rave reviews from New York theatre critics and sent box office sales soaring over $1 million (£666,670) a week.

But American Idiot producers have seen a sharp drop in ticket sales since Armstrong bowed out of the show - weekly box office grosses fell from $1.3 million (£866,670) to $395,275 (£263,517) last week (begs28Feb11), prompting speculation the musical will close for good later this year (11), according to the New York Times.

The show debuted in the Big Apple in April 2010 and a run of performances is now planned for Los Angeles next spring (12).

:(

Yeah... We get it. The musical's grosses went down after the 27th. However, just about every Broadway show had a bad week. They're also running the March discounts which decreases the average ticket price. It's not the end of the musical and continuously posting the same information, just different news outlets, isn't going to change the situation. If you can, go see the musical. Tell your friends to go see it. It's not helping just sitting back and pledging not to see it because Billie or John or Michael or whoever isn't in it.

• Like 4

Yeah... We get it. The musical's grosses went down after the 27th. However, every show had a bad week also. They're also running the March discounts which decreases the average ticket price. It's not the end of the musical and continuously posting the same information, just different outlets, isn't going to change the situation. If you can, go see the musical. Tell your friends to go see it. It's not helping just sitting back and pledging not to see it because Billie or John or Michael or whoever isn't in it.

Well said. The truth is that of the entire batch of musicals that opened last April, the only one that's still going is.....American Idiot. If that's not enough to piss off the haters I don't know what is. It'll close when it closes. In the meantime, I'll say this: any respectable Green Day fan needs to go see this musical if they have a reasonable/realistic opportunity to do so that won't bust the budget. It will change the way you look at the albums that it's been built on.

• Like 3

It will change the way you look at the albums that it's been built on.

It really will. It adds depth, clarity and emotion to an already incredible album. It certainly must be seen once, and is well worth seeing again at least for one more repeat viewing.

Having said that, a lot of fans simply can't afford to make it to New York. So the show may have some rough weeks ahead, but I have a feeling that once it starts touring, ticket sales will jump back up. Not to Billie heights, but certainly better than it's been performing since he, John and Esper left.

I'm not up to speed with the musical, so, sorry. But how long is Davey in the musical for? :)

He's currently scheduled until Sunday the 13th.

Having said that, a lot of fans simply can't afford to make it to New York. So the show may have some rough weeks ahead, but I have a feeling that once it starts touring, ticket sales will jump back up. Not to Billie heights, but certainly better than it's been performing since he, John and Esper left.

They don't combine touring and Broadway sales, so touring would actually decrease the number of people who would go to New York to see it.