American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Wow, it's shocking to me that so many people have no idea who Melissa Etheridge is!! An iconic figure indeed - for her music as well as her stand on gay-lesbian issues and her recent bout with breast cancer. And then there is that whole David Crosby sperm-donor thing. :lol:

When I first heard this, I was all "WTF" like a lot of others. I, too, worried that throwing another "star" into the role (and someone who had no ties to the musical at all) would turn it into a little bit of a sell-out circus.

Thinking about it, though, I think she just might be freaking amazing in the role. She has the pipes, no question. And the few times I have seen her perform, she has got a definite flair for the dramatic. I think it might have been at one of the Grammy shows when she was still recovering from cancer and undergoing chemo where she came out and performed beautifully with a bald head. The girl has guts.

I am interested to hear how this goes, how the role is changed for her.

• Like 3

When I heard the Melissa Etheridge news, I was put off. Then as I thought about it more, it is really awesome to have a woman play St. Jimmy - as Billie said in his interview with the New York Times, since St. Jimmy is an alter-ego, age doesn't matter, and it can be extended to gender. Plus, this is totally re-fueling my fantasy of someday being in a production of American Idiot. :lol:

call up Joan Jett.

YES. I'm a bit iffy about Melissa, not because she's a woman; she's a hippie, not a rocker.

Chase is gorgeous... :wub:

He is so nice too. He spoke to us at the barrier last week when signing our playbill.

Wow, it's shocking to me that so many people have no idea who Melissa Etheridge is!! An iconic figure indeed - for her music as well as her stand on gay-lesbian issues and her recent bout with breast cancer. And then there is that whole David Crosby sperm-donor thing. :lol:

I am surpised too. I recall seeing her story a lot on VH1 over the years.

In my opinion, a very feminine, sexy and dangerous girl would have made for a FAR more interesting St.Jimmy. The age thing isn't a massive issue. There's definitely something dangerous about older women. :lol: But why Mellisa? Why not a rocker girl?

Call me superficial but I really do think a pretty rock girl with long dark hair and fierce make-up (and a better voice :lol: - well at least more fitting) would have been a lot more interesting....

Edit: A punk femme fatale if you like.....

Still I really do love the gender reversal.

What's going to happen about the whole....taking the top off part? :lol:

Weird choice with Melissa, but it could be kind of bad ass, at the same time (even if I'm angry about the way she's handled her breakup with her wife, but that's irrelevant)!

• Like 1

Maybe next they can have St Jimmy idol to find the next St Jimmy! (Joke!)

:woot:

well female St. Jimmy ? I cannot really imagine this but I hope for videos :hug: *noimagination*

When I heard the Melissa Etheridge news, I was put off. Then as I thought about it more, it is really awesome to have a woman play St. Jimmy - as Billie said in his interview with the New York Times, since St. Jimmy is an alter-ego, age doesn't matter, and it can be extended to gender. Plus, this is totally re-fueling my fantasy of someday being in a production of American Idiot. :lol:

:lol: Good to know I'm not the only one who dreams about that :whistle

Casting a female for St Jimmy is an odd decision, but then again I thought making AI into a musical was an odd decision, and now I'm flying across the world to see it again because I love it so much.

So I have faith that AI's people know what they're doing. I'm really looking foward to hearing about and seeing footage of this from people who go and see it.

aaaaaand I had no idea who Melissa Etheridge was until I googled her today after seeing GD's tweet.

I can't resist - I'll be going on Feb 4th :) Plaid - I remember you writing somewhere about changes in other characters for that week - who else will I get to see on that night? Nvm - I looked back. I've never seen another 'Johnny' before. That should be interesting as well. :)

Heh. To be honest, I've never seen another Johnny either. However, I guess for rehearsing purposes, it's easier for Van to rehearse with Melissa than it would be for John to and then do the show with Billie. At least this way, the two have their own Jimmys. :lol:

I can't resist - I'll be going on Feb 4th :) Plaid - I remember you writing somewhere about changes in other characters for that week - who else will I get to see on that night? Nvm - I looked back. I've never seen another 'Johnny' before. That should be interesting as well. :)

Ooh, maybe I'll try and get a ticket for that night! let me see...

I have seen one other Johnny, but would you believe that I don't remember who it was? Don't get old, people!

I wonder what they'll do after Billie's run is completed, will they just have understudy's play St. Jimmy or will they bring in other stars?

I read elsewhere that they're in their final callbacks for St. Jimmy and it's currently down to two people. However, I'm not sure how accurate their sources are.

• Like 1

I got tickets for April 19th, just realised I should have got them for the 20th instead! I think I will have to go on the 20th too!

I'm undecided on the Melissa Etheridge thing at the moment, I'll have to see how it goes before I decide whether it was a good or bad decision. It could be awesome, I hadn't thought about a girl playing St. Jimmy but it might turn out really well, I don't know.

My only issue is that she looks a little innocent for the part of St. Jimmy. But I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out :cool:

Heh. To be honest, I've never seen another Johnny either. However, I guess for rehearsing purposes, it's easier for Van to rehearse with Melissa than it would be for John to and then do the show with Billie. At least this way, the two have their own Jimmys. :lol:

I'm not sure how I feel about another Johnny, tbh - he kinda owns the part in my eyes. JGJ IS Johnny. I dunno, I'm sure it will be interesting. Why don't you come?? :) I got PV orch seats.

Ooh, maybe I'll try and get a ticket for that night! let me see...

I have seen one other Johnny, but would you believe that I don't remember who it was? Don't get old, people!

I've only seen a different Will (I think Van?) and Heather (Leslie) in the main parts, and they were both great! I haven't seen anyone that disappointed me actually. I'm going with a friend - hope to see you there!!

I was actually thinking of going this Fri and trying for lotto - depends on the weather and my babysitter tho. Will anyone be there? And do you have to get there in the AM to get student rush tix or can I do that after lotto?

I'm staffing a conference the first week of February but I'll be up here the 6th. :)

Re: the student rush tickets... It depends on the show. Yesterday, they were still selling them during lotto time. However, location will vary. On Tuesday, it was rear orchestra. On the 9th, it was partial view balcony.

I ended up getting Row B, Seat 8 last night as partial view for $37.

However, I had this daughter and mother in front of me who started taking pictures during "St. Jimmy." I kindly told them that picture-taking weren't allowed. The mother was like "Come on. They don't care." And the girl told me to "Fuck off." Okay, really? They kept on doing it throughout the show, anyways. Rude.

Karma was a bitch, though. The girl brought flowers and a sign for Billie but he left the opposite side of the stage so he didn't see her. Sorry, if you are these two or know who these are, but don't break the rules for the heck of it and don't be rude to others around you.

I was just in the section full of winners last night. The people who came late during 'Holiday' in Row BB. The fatjer who kept asking his daughter what was happening after even scene/song. The group of people who left with all their things center orchestra during Esper's "Nobody likes you" but returned during "Whatsername." The father & son who sat in BB 2 & 4 who left during "Letterbomb." Just a special crowd...

• Like 1

I wonder what they'll do after Billie's run is completed, will they just have understudy's play St. Jimmy or will they bring in other stars?

My thought prior to this news was that Tony's understudy would become St. Jimmy, but maybe there's a slew of celebrities wanting to try on their acting shoes. That might not be the best idea, though.

I'm staffing a conference the first week of February but I'll be up here the 6th. :)

Re: the student rush tickets... It depends on the show. Yesterday, they were still selling them during lotto time. However, location will vary. On Tuesday, it was rear orchestra. On the 9th, it was partial view balcony.

I ended up getting Row B, Seat 8 last night as partial view for $37.

However, I had this daughter and mother in front of me who started taking pictures during "St. Jimmy." I kindly told them that picture-taking weren't allowed. The mother was like "Come on. They don't care." And the girl told me to "Fuck off." Okay, really? They kept on doing it throughout the show, anyways. Rude.

Karma was a bitch, though. The girl brought flowers and a sign for Billie but he left the opposite side of the stage so he didn't see her. Sorry, if you are these two or know who these are, but don't break the rules for the heck of it and don't be rude to others around you.

I was just in the section full of winners last night. The people who came late during 'Holiday' in Row BB. The fatjer who kept asking his daughter what was happening after even scene/song. The group of people who left with all their things center orchestra during Esper's "Nobody likes you" but returned during "Whatsername." The father & son who sat in BB 2 & 4 who left during "Letterbomb." Just a special crowd...

If there's one thing I can't stand, its people who have improper theater ettiquite. I've been fairly luckily both times I've seen AI, but I've had bad experiences at other times. I like to get immersed in the performance, and when people interrupt that immersion I get pissed.

My thought prior to this news was that Tony's understudy would become St. Jimmy, but maybe there's a slew of celebrities wanting to try on their acting shoes. That might not be the best idea, though.

The problem of bumping an understudy is that both Andrew & Chase are understudies elsewhere. Plus, you lose two really good ensemble members. I do hope that they stick with actual actors or musicians who have acting credits.

The problem of bumping an understudy is that both Andrew & Chase are understudies elsewhere. Plus, you lose two really good ensemble members. I do hope that they stick with actual actors or musicians who have acting credits.

Didn't an understudy take over for the Favorite Son?

I feel as if its easier to bump an understudy and train a new one.

I was actually thinking of going this Fri and trying for lotto - depends on the weather and my babysitter tho. Will anyone be there? And do you have to get there in the AM to get student rush tix or can I do that after lotto?

I'm going to try for Friday night, so maybe we can help each other! :) I never win, so just remember that!

Thank God. He's a douchebag. Talented actor, but a huge douchebag.

Agree. Plus, he's rumored to have been with Lea Michelle, who is a bitch.

Agree. Plus, he's rumored to have been with Lea Michelle, who is a bitch.

That's not a rumor, that's pure fact. They've been together for a while!

Didn't an understudy take over for the Favorite Son?

I feel as if its easier to bump an understudy and train a new one.

It's actually easier to hire a new lead actor, that way you only have to teach them ONE part. If you hire a new swing, that's a LOT more rehearsal time because they have to learn 3-5 new tracks.