American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Melissa Etheridge? Its weird...I love her music (or the little that I know of it) and I love how the musical is clearly open to bursting through its limitations even further, but this is just so random. I mean Billie getting it made sense at least! I've always seen Etheridge as this liberal female singer songwriter type, definitely not as a nihilistic, anarchistic druggie/punk. It will be interesting, and for now I'm reserving judgement either way.

Not happy about this at all, like I don't even mind that much that a female is taking over, it's just I have a thing against Melissa prior to this so I'm not happy with this at all, but we'll see how it goes.....

I love the idea of a female St. Jimmy but if you want to bring in someone who would definitely kick ass but is...older, call up Joan Jett. She's probably busy but I'd be buying my plane ticket right now if it was her instead of Melissa.

Just imagine that epicness for a second. UNF.

Anything to not have St. Peacock, I guess...Poor guy. ;)

• Like 2

i don't really know who this lady is but WOW!

that must be interesting to see. but doesn't it seem a bit desperate to have 2 stars in the same musical, even though it's at 2 different times?

This is where I first heard of her. She did the song to Al Gore's climate change documentary An Inconvenient Truth

I love the idea of a female St. Jimmy but if you want to bring in someone who would definitely kick ass but is...older, call up Joan Jett. She's probably busy but I'd be buying my plane ticket right now if it was her instead of Melissa.

Just imagine that epicness for a second. UNF.

Anything to not have St. Peacock, I guess...Poor guy. ;)

Joan Jett would be AMAZING. :')

• Like 1

This is where I first heard of her. She did the song to Al Gore's climate change documentary An Inconvenient Truth

She won an Academy Award for that, right?

/off-topicness

She won an Academy Award for that, right?

/off-topicness

I believe she did....I think she did......

Yeah, she did.

Ehhh, I don't really like the idea of a female St. Jimmy, to be honest. I just don't see it. I'm kind of curious about what her name is going to be though. St. Jenny or something?

I might as well weigh in on St. Melissa...

First of all, Melissa Etheridge is an iconic figure and she is truly incredible.

Second, theatre has an amazing ability to allow various interpretations of things, and this is a perfect example.

But the main point I want to make is this:

St. Jimmy (to me) is a manifestation of Johnny's self-destructive alter-ego. Johnny, like all of us, has many inner demons, and they may present themselves at various times in different forms. They may be male, female, young, old, attractive, ugly, or any number of other manifestations. I think that a variety of St. Jimmys is actually the perfect way to go. It shows the instability of St. Jimmy, that any one of Johnny's demons can take control and then self destruct.

• Like 2

A female St. Jimmy? :o That's so interesting that they would even think of doing that. I like the idea of all of the genders switched for the show. I wonder what Whatshisname would be like :shifty:

What does it mean for the character Johnny? that he is gender confused?

:lol: :lol:

I don't really find it that strange (or surprising after Billie's hint :lol:). The St. Jimmy character doesn't seem to have specifically masculine traits, I can easily imagine a seductively dangerous/dangerously seductive character like that being played by either man or a woman.

Holy shit, I love the idea of a chick playing St Jimmy! Looks like Michael took Billie seriously when he mentioned he'd like seeing females as leads as opposed to males! :dance:

No idea who Melissa Etheridge is, though, haha. Never heard of her before. Even Googling her and reading up on her history didn't help --- She's no one I ever heard of!

Count me in for wanting to see a female St. Jimmy (I'm also a sucker for the female tracks/songs on this musical)...but I have to admit that when I read about this, the first thing I thought: 'wow, that came out of freaking nowhere' (even if now I remember Billie talking about switching genders for the characters on the musical).

And I don't have an opinion about Melissa, so I can't say anything about that.

Who is St. Peacock? (If I remember correctly it's someone's nickname, but I can't remember. Please enlighten me.) Thanks.

Who is St. Peacock? (If I remember correctly it's someone's nickname, but I can't remember. Please enlighten me.) Thanks.

It refers to Chase Peacock, who is an ensemble member and the newest Jimmy understudy.

It refers to Chase Peacock, who is an ensemble member and the newest Jimmy understudy.

Duh, of course! Thanks for the info. :)

GreenDay Green Day

Melissa Ethridge to play "St. Jimmy" in Green Day's American Idiot on Broadway for 1week only - 2/1 to 2/6. Billie Joe returns 2/10 to 2/27

9 minutes ago

I guess I will be one of the few people who hold the opinion of "WTF" when it comes to Melissa playing St. Jimmy for a week. I don't like the idea of a woman playing the role at all. I also don't like that they are bringing another star in for the role. Is there not an understudy who could go on? I'm sorry if most don't hold my opinion but I think this is a bad idea. I don't want AI to become a joke by bringing in stars to fill roles that I'm sure an understudy would love to do. After all, they put in a lot of hard work learning the role themselves.

yeah i think i'm with you on that. but then again i didnt like the idea of the entire musical at first and now i think its the greatest thing, so ive been wrong before