American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

A) She does rock.

B) Draws in older crowd, male and female.

C) Draws in lesbian older/younger crowd

D) I am thinking this is the best stunt casting since... Billie Joe Armstrong playing Billie Jo... er... St. Jimmy in American Idiot, lol.

Joan Jett someone mentioned, but she has never been in a show before, I think. Etheridge has acted here and there, so she has that under her belt.

I know one thing, Etheridge being added to the show makes someone like me, in her late 40s, kinda proud and happy that AI cast her. Kudos, people, kudos.

AND YES, LET'S NOT FORGET ST. PEACOCK!

Joan played Columbia in Rocky Horror. If Joan played St Jimmy I would find a way across the Atlantic. I'd blow all my savings and be grounded from now until forever, but I would get there and it would be awesome.

But anyway, this is going to bring in a fairly large crowd and I'm so so happy they cast Melissa :happy:

Well, we were just talking about one thing: the scene where St. Jimmy draws the heart on his chest. Is she gonna take off her shirt and draw the heart? I've been nude onstage before, it's really... freaky, lol.

And... are they going to have St. Jimmy be a man or a woman as played by Melissa Etheridge? I guess we'll just have to wait and see next month, when we all try for lotto, lol.

I have no idea who Melissa Etheridge is, pretty weird that they would cast a female St. Jimmy. Hopefully she'll do alright.

Joan played Columbia in Rocky Horror. If Joan played St Jimmy I would find a way across the Atlantic. I'd blow all my savings and be grounded from now until forever, but I would get there and it would be awesome.

But anyway, this is going to bring in a fairly large crowd and I'm so so happy they cast Melissa :happy:

In the movie? Wow, I do not remember that. Weird. don't get old, people! Can't remember anything!

A) She does rock.

B) Draws in older crowd, male and female.

C) Draws in lesbian older/younger crowd

D) I am thinking this is the best stunt casting since... Billie Joe Armstrong playing Billie Jo... er... St. Jimmy in American Idiot, lol.

Joan Jett someone mentioned, but she has never been in a show before, I think. Etheridge has acted here and there, so she has that under her belt.

I know one thing, Etheridge being added to the show makes someone like me, in her late 40s, kinda proud and happy that AI cast her. Kudos, people, kudos.

AND YES, LET'S NOT FORGET ST. PEACOCK!

Joan Jett has done theatre before. Someone mentioned The Rocky Horror Show in 2000... I saw her in it, she was great. I just think a female St. Jimmy will be quite... um, odd.

My mind is totally blown.

I'm only a little familiar with Melissa Etheridge, but I think the idea of a female St. Jimmy is so fascinating. It would be a little easier for me to visualize Joan Jett in the role, but so far I've never been given reason to doubt the creative decisions made by the people in charge of American Idiot, so....should be good. :)

• Like 1

In the movie? Wow, I do not remember that. Weird. don't get old, people! Can't remember anything!

Nah the Broadway version :lol: She has been in a few films here and there do.

I didn't actually know who this was, but I've looked her up and she seems pretty awesome. A woman St Jimmy will work, I think, it'll add a whole new dimension to the role.

:D

Does anyone remember that video from a while back when the guy from England came to see Idiot and he went backstage and stuff? The woman he sat next to and introduced herself as Melissa... That's Melissa Etheridge. At least we know she's seen the show. :)

I think Melissa is a great choice. Although I'm kind of sad they are adding another "star" element to the show. Even for a short run. (Not that Billie isn't a star, but since it's his words and music, it just always felt different.)

Maybe she'll wear a white t=shirt and put the heart on that instead of her chest?

Does anyone remember that video from a while back when the guy from England came to see Idiot and he went backstage and stuff? The woman he sat next to and introduced herself as Melissa... That's Melissa Etheridge. At least we know she's seen the show. :)

I forgot about that. I wonder if they were talking to her about it back then?

Joan Jett has done theatre before. Someone mentioned The Rocky Horror Show in 2000... I saw her in it, she was great. I just think a female St. Jimmy will be quite... um, odd.

I did not know she has done theater. I like that.

Billie mentioned at the Times Talk about one day switching the gender of the whole show. Yes, it's odd, but women can be evil, too, lol.

In my opinion, this is going to be a little strange having Melissa be St. Jimmy. When I first saw the news on my RSS Feed I was like "what.....??" Like, it just doesn't make sense to me. Of all people, why her? No offense to her at all or to the people who chose her. It just seems a little... ummm... random, maybe?

I personally like this idea. She has a killer voice that will fit the part perfectly.

I mean, a woman has played peter pan many a time, I think she can pull off St. Jimmy! As said, think they'll have to cut or alter the chest cutting part though...

She is BADASS and has tremendous vocal chops. I think she's gonna knock our socks off.

Here ya go producers...emptying my pockets AGAIN for ya. Thats ok, my kids love ramen. Hope they dont get scurvy.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by this whole idea. She certainly could pull it off vocally. But I do think of St. Jimmy as having a dark and seductive quality I can't imagine her possessing. And I was planning to lottery at every show that week anyways and now lottery might be a little insane.

I did not know she has done theater. I like that.

Billie mentioned at the Times Talk about one day switching the gender of the whole show. Yes, it's odd, but women can be evil, too, lol.

Maybe they'll have a female 'Johnny' for the same shows? Who knows... It was definitely a surprise, but I can see her doing the role. Her voice is amazing and perfect for the part methinks. I'd like to see her - I may just have to try for lottery on Friday night. :)

A woman is going to play St. Jimmy? That's sure going to be interesting! :lol::happy: Funny they're doing that, cause Billie said in that recent interview he'd like to see women playing the characters normally played by men/other way around. Haha. I have no idea who Melissa Etheridge is though (I'll look for info now).

I guess I will be one of the few people who hold the opinion of "WTF" when it comes to Melissa playing St. Jimmy for a week. I don't like the idea of a woman playing the role at all. I also don't like that they are bringing another star in for the role. Is there not an understudy who could go on? I'm sorry if most don't hold my opinion but I think this is a bad idea. I don't want AI to become a joke by bringing in stars to fill roles that I'm sure an understudy would love to do. After all, they put in a lot of hard work learning the role themselves.

I guess I will be one of the few people who hold the opinion of "WTF" when it comes to Melissa playing St. Jimmy for a week. I don't like the idea of a woman playing the role at all. I also don't like that they are bringing another star in for the role. Is there not an understudy who could go on? I'm sorry if most don't hold my opinion but I think this is a bad idea. I don't want AI to become a joke by bringing in stars to fill roles that I'm sure an understudy would love to do. After all, they put in a lot of hard work learning the role themselves.

I kind of agree, I am thinking who or what next.

I hope to see Chase in the role anyway.

Female St. Jimmy... that's interesting. I'd love to see (or as it will be, hear from other people) how that works out :happy:

I wonder how that will go with the show. Whether it won't look like some kind of competition between Whatsername and St.whateverhernamewillbe to get Johnny or something like that. Whether there will be an absolute clear contrast between the Whatsername and St. Jimmy characters and their role ('cause it'll be two 'strong women' Johnny is impressed by and all. Though I don't think that one will be a problem.). But who knows, it could just as well turn out way cool. And they wouldn't be doing it if it was all weird.

I think it sounds cool to have a woman do the role. I liked Billie's idea of having the women and men switch roles. Melissa has an amazing voice so she can do it. Kinda wish I had more money to get back to see it though.

To those who want to see the understudies, it's only a week she'll be there and then I'm sure they'll get to go on. I love seeing how this show evolves. I've seen it seven times now including in Berkeley and it just keeps getting better. IMO the show can tolerate a lot of flexibility in characters as long as they have talent and/or charisma.