Green Day Influence!

-zero-

I actually like Blink-182 and Sum 41. If you actually listen to them, you find that they are obviously influenced by a mix of different bands, not just Green Day.

But I do think MCR try way too hard to be like Green Day. :rolleyes:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Charlotte. On an interview they said their influence was Green Day.

I think MCR, Blink 182, AFI, RHCP and fucking stuff too

I actually like Blink-182 and Sum 41. If you actually listen to them, you find that they are obviously influenced by a mix of different bands, not just Green Day.

Yeah, Blink and Sum are goooood.

MCR....too unbeliveably crap to explain.....Good Charlotte....wank.

pffft The Buzzcocks and The Offspring don't deserve to be in that list with the rest of the faeces.

Neither do Rancid! :/

Buzzcocks are an old punk band.

Compared with them Sum 41,Good Charlote and the rest of them are kids.

Sorry,but I don't find someone who does a version of a Britney Spears video or someone who is dating Avril punk.

They are kids who play pop,and call themselves punk.

Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Blink 182, MCR, Simple Plan, a load of other pop bands who think they're punk cos they say "fuck" every now and then :rolleyes: I'm not saying I don't like the "pop punk" bands cos I do, I just wish they'd admit that they're about as punk as my cat and just be themselves and not this manufactured thing

But I do think MCR try way too hard to be like Green Day. :rolleyes:

oh god not this again :pinch: i thought this shit had finally died

Blink 182 and Good Charlotte are the only two bands I think were heavily influenced by GD to the point where it's almost rip-off worthy. However, I like these bands so it doesn't really matter to me.

and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person here who thinks mcr sounds nothing at all like GD and if I didn't know any better I'd say they weren't influenced by them at all, but meh.

RHCP :o They have been a band for almost a decade longer than Green Day!!

I haven't heard much of MCR and Good Charlotte. I've heard a bit of Simple Plan, and didn't really like them. I have heard blink-182 and Sum 41, and I do have this to say.

I've heard Tom DeLonge describe himself as a "punker" before. I think they're generally a lot more nonchalant about using the term than some other bands. I can't be entirely sure though, because I probably haven't read into it enough. I mean, I'd like to see that at least they're aware of the implications that come with using "punk" to describe themselves, but I don't dislike them as a band because of how they use the term "punk".

Sum 41 on the other hand, doesn't claim to be punk. They use the term occasionally as a loose term to describe their style and influences, but for the most part, they aren't waving any subculture flags. They've stated many times that they just consider themselves to be a "rock band", and find the whole social system of being "punk" quite stupid. I know that Deryck and Cone both like Green Day a lot, and I wouldn't be suprised if Stevo did as well, but they want to make their own identity for themselves. They do things like hip hop and metal that they mix with their punk influences. The closest Green Day's ever gotten to being metal in my opinion, is with Insomniac, and they've never done any hip hop that I remember.

I personally do think both of those bands have elements of punk rock in their sounds.

blink-182 wouldn't have existed without Green Day, nor would Sum-41, Good Charolette, or Simple Plan.

AFI formed in 1991, when Green Day were hardly known, so i highly doubt they were influenced by them. plus the fact that they sound nothing like them at all.

punk is dead. all of the bands that i do like who consider themselves punk, i just say it's rock. it doesn't matter to me.

AFI formed in 1991, when Green Day were hardly known, so i highly doubt they were influenced by them. plus the fact that they sound nothing like them at all.

They liked GD back then, but no, they weren't influenced by em.

AFI were influenced mainly by older bands like The Cure.

Blink 182 and Good Charlotte are the only two bands I think were heavily influenced by GD to the point where it's almost rip-off worthy. However, I like these bands so it doesn't really matter to me.

and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person here who thinks mcr sounds nothing at all like GD and if I didn't know any better I'd say they weren't influenced by them at all, but meh.

THANK YOU!!!!

MCR isn't even punk. They don't claim to be! They're alternative. They have a sound all their own. They're not exactly ripping off anyone.

I don't think Sum 41 was influenced by GD... They have a lot of metal influences and that shines through in their music with all the guitar solos and their little alter ego band... I think they suck without Dave, but I haven't heard their whole new album. They're what you'd call "skater punk."

All the shit about who is punk and who isn't makes me hate punk rock...

I also think Alkaline Trio was influenced by GD

I don't think Sum 41 was influenced by GD... They have a lot of metal influences and that shines through in their music with all the guitar solos and their little alter ego band... I think they suck without Dave, but I haven't heard their whole new album. They're what you'd call "skater punk."

Yeah. That's not what this thread started to be. Everyone just kind of started argueing about punk and who was and wasn't.

I'm agree. and to me it's not important at all if a band I listen to is a punk or not...if I get into the music that's all the matter.

Yeah. That's not what this thread started to be. Everyone just kind of started argueing about punk and who was and wasn't.

It's not just this thread, it's everywhere. Punk rockers can be so catty when it comes to their music. I swear it's the only genre of music that's like this.

:lol: I still couldn't take that dudes voice seriously, damn its awful.

How are they revolutionary?

They started the new age corporate punk in a way. They changed punk to what most bands do today.

Archived