Green Day Lyrics Vs. Music

Fuzz

Guest Phoebe.

Well the music's all distorted and abbrasive, if the lyrics were no good I dont think I'd like GD at all. the lyrics are thier saving grace to me.

Nic - SAVINGRACE????

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music first, but some lyrics really hit home so they're important too.

The music is what first catches my attention, so if I dont like that then it is likely that I wont really listen to the song properly.

The music is what first catches my attention, so if I dont like that then it is likely that I wont really listen to the song properly.

Same here.

If the lyrics are great, it makes the song better, and I would listen to it more that if the song had shitty lyrics.

Actually I started to listen to Green Day when I was a very little kid and didn't speak English at all. But now lyrics seems to me more important than music. So I prefer lyrics.

when i first started listening to Green Day, the music was most likely to grab my attention first. however, what made me like them as much as i do (translation: become obsessed with them) was the combination of music AND lyrics.

at first, i might only play the certain songs i really liked off of each CD. then i started playing their CDs through and each time i'd listen more to the lyrics. lyrics can often make me love a song, even when i might be less than thrilled with the music. the more i listened to their music and lyrics as a whole, the less likely i became to skip a song on a CD. now i never skip any of their songs~

(i love Macy's Day Parade and Fashion Victim - lyrics and music - but then again i have a "thing" for the whole Warning CD :D)

mainly because of the music, their riffs are really neat, and billies way to sing his songs is awesome , if they´d do the same lyrics with hip hop music, then .... you know ^^

Both

I think there's a good point in every song it doesn't matter if it's lyrics or music.

Even if the lyrics and music sucked thier would be a emotinal connection between the writer and song and thats one thing about Green Day that makes them unpredictable. It's all about thier life or feelings but the only Green Day song I've been sick of hearing was BOBD :/ Thats why covers are never like the original.

I think the lyrics are very import, but they might sound stupid without music :'D Get it? Music is also very import but I really happy that GD doesn't sing about things like "Baby, I'm on the mood, come into my room" or kinda like something like that? I really love GD lyrics.

I think what initially attracted me to Green Day was their music. I didn't even know what AI was all about when I first heard it, and embarassingly enough, I though Jimmy was BJ's father's name 'cause that's what my niece told me, lmao!

I did start to read the lyrics tho, and that's what made me buy album after album. I can't understand how some people say that their lyrics aren't deep - some of them are simple, yes, but they are still so meaningful. I can listen to Longview sometimes, and it makes me think, and no not just about the obvoius!! :P

I think their music and lyrics totally compliment each other, and I love both for different reasons.

I have been thinking this over for a while ...It actually is a really hard question.

I have always loved lyrics, I love words. That some people can actually say things so incredibly powerful just by the way they put them together.

As far as the music, it has been my experience if I like the lyrics, I like the tune as well. I mean, the sound fits the lyrics, which fits the mood. If it is written well.

Billie, Mike and Tre tend to do that very well. They capture what Billie's lyrics are saying with both his words, and the sound.

There are always the really fun songs though, with ridiculous lyrics, but great music, and I think everyone loves those!

I agree with you 100%

The first thing that attracted me to GD's music was the fact that some guy rhymed 'whore' with 'bore'. :)

It's 50/50 with me.

On 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, I always just sit there and listen to the lyrics so intently because so many of those songs relate to me. But at the same time, the Music on that album is just so amazing, it makes me go :woot: every single time.

Well, as far first time I listen to a song, music is more important, because I can't understand everything then, since English isn't my first language, obviously. So music makes first impression.

But when I already understand lyrics, they're as much important as music.

first i listen just the music and then if the song is good i would check the lyrics.

so i say both.

it depends on the album for me.

but the music first i geuss, then the lyrics i notice. so it all depends on the song/album

s'all about the lyrics. i love words, how they formed, what they can imply, so for me, green day's lyrics mean more to me than their music.

agree

i feel identified with many of the lirycs on the albums

in fact to me the music in the background helps to send the message togheter with the lyrics

in fact, the first green day song i've listen was warning, and i feel really identified with the lirycs

specially this one...''question everything or be a victom of autorithy''

in fact i have part of the lirycs of one their songs in my ava...that's explain all

at the same way, their music is great, i really like how sounds.

i chosse always lirycs, and then i enjoy the music...and green day make a great songs to be listen over and over and over again...and i never feel tired

Interesting qestion. While with about 90% of other bands that I listen to it's all about the lyrics, the same can't really be said for GD. Admittedly, there are a few songs where the lyrics totally outshine the music (the whole of Kerplunk, Walking Alone, Worry Rock, FOD and maybe Homecoming), but most of the time - as with, when I think about it, most of the 'punk' music I listen to - it's the music.

yeah same for me.

usually it's different for every song.

lyrics. i don't listen to songs nearly as much if they have good music but lyrics that aren't that good. finding a song i can relate to at a particular time helps me a lot more than hearing a good tune. music is important too though, no song can be good if it has crap music.

(and i can't believe the amount of people that say macy's day parade is boring, i've always loved it).

At first i just listen to the music, then i start paying attention to the lyrics. But if the lyrics suck i get tired of the song pretty quick.

Archived