Green Day / NRDC Site now online

Fuzz

I think it's awesome that Green Day are doing their bit for the environment, :) cos let's face it, young people are more willing to listen to them than to George Bush

I sent the oil letter to the white house, and I'm just about to copy the logo into my sig...

im hesitant to whether or not I should put my address down for that petition thing

I just put down the name of my town... I'm not telling Bush where I live :ph34r:

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just put down the name of my town... I'm not telling Bush where I live :ph34r:

haha :lol: I just made it up.. town, adress and postal code or whatever it's called.

QUOTE(nessa1416 @ Nov 17 2006, 03:32 AM) *

I'm not angry that they're supporting a good cause, I just dont understand it.

And its not so much that they're supporting it, it's the format that they're doing it in. It's so much like a cheesy television comercial. I just dont understand why they couldn't have done it in a way that's more "green day". If you were to go back 10 years, they would never have done this, and I dont understand why they're doing it now.

You don't get it, eh?! :blink: They're doing it, because it's necessary, now. Somebody has to do that job and they're trying to start up the whole thing, ok?!

And btw: I think that message is not only directed towards greenies but towards everyone!

haha :lol: I just made it up.. town, adress and postal code or whatever it's called.

damn... why didn't I just think up a make believe town? :pinch: *smacks head against wall*

Now the FBI are gonna hunt me down :o

:lol:

seems like they caught the Bono virus?

^^ yes i think they do

dont get me wrong, i think its good they do something about it

but they shouldnt get all 'bono-ish' :/

^^ yes i think they do

Wow, I think you're right...this is the kind of thing Bono does, not Green Day :ermm:

--

I mean, Live8 was awesome, and it was for a good cause. I'm all for bands doing things to change the world, but Live8 was a rock-show, and it changed the world in the way that Rock N' Roll is supposed to--through music. But this... It's just a lame "commercial" for some site that I know I've never heard of. I think that if they were really that adamite (sp?) about "Making everyday a Green Day", there are better ways to do it.

I think it's cool - the message is put across in a basic, hard-hitting way. The thing is this - environmental issues are deeply unsexy, and the only remotely sexy thing about that site is the video. The very term 'hybrid car' might as well be 'hippie' as far as a lot of people are concerned, and if they want to sell it to a broad enough section of people to make a difference, they need to do something about image.

America is indeed addicted to oil, as is the rest of the world, but America's love-affair is with the car - it's deep in the culture as well as practical life. In seeking to dismantle a major part of the American dream, they need to present something that's gonna attract people outside of those already committed to environmental issues, along with pushing for legislation. It would have been good to see the guys with their own hybrid cars, rather than sitting in a studio.

I think the petition, all of the stuff, is great, and a first step in the right direction, and it should certainly rattle George Fucking's cage, but he can maybe discount a lot of it as simply fans 'voting' for their favorite band, something that may not stay with them thru to the time when they vote for government, and that's what counts for the guys in power.

Consumer power is what will make him think twice - and to get people to buy, you gotta be able to sell. Environmental causes suffer from appearing to be just 'worthy' - at least this video has some kick-ass about it!

So, yeah, I joined - posted some of this too; shorter version, lol!

And I have to add - I can't believe people are still discussing how Green Day should be conforming to their definition of what a band's role should be. They're human beings living on the same planet as all of us are, and they're doing what more people should do - raising their voices and trying to change what they see as wrong. The huge celebrity they've gained as a result of AI must have had a lot of negative impact on them in terms of their privacy and personal freedom, but they're choosing to make a positive of it and use it to just get attention for something that is, as I said, perceived as deeply unsexy. They're not looking for anyone's approval of their actions - they never have; they're Green Day.

"Es gibt nichts Gutes - außer man tut es"

"There won´t be anything good - unless YOU do it"

So they DO something,good for them - and if you like it or not that is what Green Day does now,get used to it.

Btw. they are trying to save your asses,too - you will find out soon enough.

I think its a great cause!! good 4 them trying to help the rest of the world. i dont see anything wrong with them supporting this cause. and to those that think that they are wrong to do it....since when does green day do what everyone else "wants" them to do. they are doing what they think is right and to help all of us. Just because they are musicians doesnt mean they cant support anything else and have to stick to just doing things for their music and their own band. They want to help others and not just think of them selves. thats the most "green day" thing they could have done is to support this.

i think the video made interesting points and it doesnt matter what their job is they are entitled to express the opinion (one that most of us share) and to do something about it. Because of their position they are able to say these things and get attention from lots of people. For the sake of the world and the impacts of global warming and fossil fuel usage i dont care if its not what people think they should be doing, it gets people who maybe arent interested, interested.

i think the video made interesting points and it doesnt matter what their job is they are entitled to express the opinion (one that most of us share) and to do something about it. Because of their position they are able to say these things and get attention from lots of people. For the sake of the world and the impacts of global warming and fossil fuel usage i dont care if its not what people think they should be doing, it gets people who maybe arent interested, interested.

Exactly

haha ok so should I just put my name and town?

I wish they would tell more info of where exactly our personal info is going

thie site isn't even secured

dude this is fuckin awsome my mom and dad already support them my parents drive bio desiel well i cant spell bascally its freakin vegitable oil that we get from resturants.trust me our cars smell like french fries which i hate. but we should drive hydogen.i dont really like hybrid cause u still have to have gas but its ok.

ROCK ON GREEN DAY

also i think everyone should sign up

i wish we could drive on corn

i like that one commercial that is like some "yellow" campaign

haha ok so should I just put my name and town?

I wish they would tell more info of where exactly our personal info is going

thie site isn't even secured

IPB Image

hmm.. that's not enough info?

Btw. they are trying to save your asses,too - you will find out soon enough.

Exactly! :D

Bono is trying to save our asses, too, but the main difference between Bono and GD is, up to now, the choice of partners! While Bono sells his ass to Bush, Gap or Apple, GD set value upon an ideological statement. :eyebrows:

@ Bono > The world needs winners to make a change, pah! :down: Maybe the winners will get the ball rolling, but the losers will be the ones, who will top out the building, because losers make up the largest part of society. That's the way the cookie crumbles!

And Bono ... what your partners stand for isn't exactly innocence as far as the state of the so-called third world is concerned and you are effectively helping them to clean their fucking dirty hands, while they are still increasing their own profit.

Guest 16PaperLanterns

^^ yes i think they do

haven't they done things like this before though? like concerts for charity?

anyways, i think it's really cool that they're doing this, though the whole corn fuel thing doesn't work out completely... the tractors used to harvest the corn use more fuel than the amount they make from that load.

haven't they done things like this before though? like concerts for charity?

anyways, i think it's really cool that they're doing this, though the whole corn fuel thing doesn't work out completely... the tractors used to harvest the corn use more fuel than the amount they make from that load.

Yes, they're always been a voice for social issues ; this, from the press release Reprise put out, just lists the more high-profile stuff they've done in the AI era, and it doesn't mention the Music Rising single:-

Recipients of the American Way Foundation's 2006 "Spirit of Liberty Award," Green Day, which includes singer / guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt and drummer Tré Cool, have given their time and music to benefit many charitable causes, such as appearing at the historic Live 8 concert series which pressured world leaders to abolish the debt, negotiate fair trade rules and increase aid to the world's most impoverished countries, participating in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, and donating royalties from online sales of their Number One single "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" to the American Red Cross' relief efforts for earthquake and tsunami victims in Eastern African and Southern Asia.

While touring, Green Day brought representatives from Amnesty International, Greenpeace, USA Harvest, and grassroots political coalition Punkvoter.com out on tour to raise awareness amongst their fans. Green Day's 2004 multi-platinum, Grammy Award-winning album, "American Idiot," has effectively raised social and political consciousness among audiences worldwide.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_...lease_id=186081

I completely love and respect that they're doing this. It helps get younger people get involved in a very good cause, myself included. I signed all the petitions. The video was great too, no matter how cheesy at parts. It was weird to hear Billie talk without all the "you knows".

I've saw the video, It's pretty nice see Green Day talking about that kind of stuff.

Green Day pawns George Bush.

I dont know why anyone would be angry that Green Day is supporting a good cause. I could see if it was something heavily political (which, if they believed in it, they'd probably still do it), but this is a organization which is trying to better people's lives by helping the enviroment. There are a handful of causes where it's good to bring in the celebrity attention to, and this is one. I know i never paid any attention to the NRDC before I heard Green Day was getting involved with it, so what better way to get a certain part of society to pay attention, than by getting people who can motivate others to do good.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think it's great that they're getting young people to pay attention... because we haven't been. (I speak for myself here. =P)

Green Day has brought social action groups with them on tours for many years--long before American Idiot. This is not a new thing for them.

Archived