Brandon Flowers criticises Green Day

novacaine_kid

Flowers? :D He has a right to his own opinion, I do think he's a bit jealous, though. He says Billie is portraying American Idiot wrong, but I recall in watching BIAB that Billie says:

"This song is not anti-American, it's anti-war," right before Holiday. How could he say it any clearer?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I am British and I completly understand the meaning behind American Idiot. Even though many kids probably don't, i'm sure alot of American kids don't either, when they sing along to that song. What does he expect?, Green Day not to sing one of thier most successful singles of all time? They chose to film it in Milton Keynes because they were the two biggest shows they have ever played,it had absolutely nothing to do with offending America and it certainly wasn't a cheap stunt. I just can't believe how ignorant he is. Green Day say things that most bands would be to scared to say because they are too scared of losing fans. I really wish I could personally speak to him and explain how wrong he is, oh and also tell him how shit his music is. I always thought he was an arrogant wanker and this just confirms it. Fair enough some kids might not take the song in the way it's meant to be perceived, but accusing Billie Joe of knowing that and using it against America? that is totally ridiculous. Does he really think that because of American idiot all us non-americans now think America is full of idiots? no, we don't. I sing along to Blink 182's "I wanna fuck a dog in the ass" but I do not want to fuck a dog in the ass.

Brandon Flowers is a sad pathetic arsehole who needs to stop being so bitter and critisising others music. If he stopped, maybe his new music wouldn't sound so awful. Everyone I've talked to have said their new album is utter crap.

Honestly, I do like Brandon Flowers and The Killers, but I do not agree with his opinion.

Of course American Idiot is Anti American, don't take a genious to work that one out. And, the show at the MK Bowl was the biggest show they ever played so natrally they'd choose that for BIAB.

Okay, I'll admit it. I've been lurking on the boards for quite some time now! But I think is something I'd actually like to comment on.

Really, if you think about it, Brandon Flowers is doing exactly what Green Day wanted when they released AI. They're getting people to THINK. Even if his opinion doesn't agree with Green Day's, he's at least thinking about something he probably wouldn't have if GD hadn't released BIAB or AI. I can, admittedly, see where he's coming from with his opinion though. I don't agree with him necessarily, but he certainly has the right to voice his opinion.

I do think people confuse the real meaning of the song American Idiot though... to me it represents how much freedom we have in the US and other countries with similar governments. I mean, there are a ton of countries where there's no way musicians could get away with releasing a song like American Idiot. It's not anti-American, it's anti-establishment, it's saying whatever the fuck Billie Joe wanted to say when he wrote it. I admire bands that take that chance. I also really admire the fact that GD doesn't really care what anyone else thinks. The fact is, a lot of people agree with them about the current state of our administration, and it just really struck a chord with Americans, and actually with a lot of the world. And I don't even think it's just pointed at Americans. While we get blamed for a lot of things that are happening- we certainly didn't go into all of this alone. I'm not pointing fingers at other countries or anything, but I'm just saying kind of what my point was the whole time..... it's a song that almost everyone can relate to.

Oh yeah, and I really don't think insulting the Killers and Brandon Flowers is going to do anything. Last time I checked, we had freedom of speech. Of course that gives some of you the right to insult him, but hey. Be the bigger person.... haha.

I can just imagine Billie Joe's response to this: probably something to the effect of... "fuck em, we'll do whatever the fuck we want."

How true.

Evenso I agree with most of what you said,I´m not willing to trade my freedom of speech for Mr. Flowers - I´m not that big a person.I think there are allready enough "big persons" in this world,they are commenly known as "push overs".

"If you can´t stand the heat,stay out of the kitchen"

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I am British and I completly understand the meaning behind American Idiot. Even though many kids probably don't, i'm sure alot of American kids don't either, when they sing along to that song. What does he expect?, Green Day not to sing one of thier most successful singles of all time? They chose to film it in Milton Keynes because they were the two biggest shows they have ever played,it had absolutely nothing to do with offending America and it certainly wasn't a cheap stunt. I just can't believe how ignorant he is. Green Day say things that most bands would be to scared to say because they are too scared of losing fans. I really wish I could personally speak to him and explain how wrong he is, oh and also tell him how shit his music is. I always thought he was an arrogant wanker and this just confirms it. Fair enough some kids might not take the song in the way it's meant to be perceived, but accusing Billie Joe of knowing that and using it against America? that is totally ridiculous. Does he really think that because of American idiot all us non-americans now think America is full of idiots? no, we don't. I sing along to Blink 182's "I wanna fuck a dog in the ass" but I do not want to fuck a dog in the ass.

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better.

Does anyone else see the irony behind what Brandon Flowers has said?

He just proved Green Day's point about some Americans being way too touchy (touchy? Sorry, couldn't think of another word).

the thing that gets me is when he said "those kids arent taking it the same way as he (billie) meant it"

how does he know ? when they interviewed some there, they weren't like ohh AMERICA their idiots, they were like bush and the war is idiotic,, which it is cause you now ... it kills people

you are in my mind!!!thats exactly what i was going to say

Brandon Flowers always has something to say about someone. Honestly, he does. I've heard him talk about other bands too. Also he's been talking about getting alot of pride for America lately after they toured Europe and realized how much they like America. Also their new CD he said is more "American style music." Eh, it's no big deal, whatever. I still like the Killers' music. But yeah, he's probably jealous because they are awsome live, and I guess they are not.

Man, he sucks big time for saying that crap - anti - American....pssh, Green Day is FAR from being anti - American - he sucks!! BOO BRANDON :down: Thanks for sharing that

ive actually always thought of it ironic that it was filmed and england and all the people there are screaming about how they dont want to be an american idiot, doesnt bother me or anything, i actually thought it was quite funny.

But if the difference in the bands' styles is so extreme, isn't it a little unfair to call one album better than the other? Let's not forget that most of Billie Joe's earliest lyrics were about ex-girlfriends and wanting girls he couldn't have.

Well, American Idiot has sold more than any of their albums. And atleast Billie Joe's songs arent all about that. In the killers it's like all the songs hang around a few subjects.

Brandon Flowers always has something to say about someone. Honestly, he does. I've heard him talk about other bands too. Also he's been talking about getting alot of pride for America lately after they toured Europe and realized how much they like America. Also their new CD he said is more "American style music." Eh, it's no big deal, whatever. I still like the Killers' music. But yeah, he's probably jealous because they are awsome live, and I guess they are not.

The Killers suck badly live. That's why at the VMA's they were lip syncing. 'Cause I heard them actually live before and they sound horrible.

To be honest the British kids probably know more about American politics than Billie Joe and Green Day. I found the whole ''anti-war'' thing a pain in the ass after a while.

I completely agree. I'm not going to critisize his band, but i've gotta say that he shouldn't even go there because he knows Green Day has gone through alot more than his band will even begin to understand. And plus, not as many people enjoy listening to songs about ex-girlfriends, when there are powerful and not-to-mention meaningful songs out there like American Idiot.

In short; he's just jealous and he knows it.

Oh what a prat. That song is not anti american it's anti bush, just like the album, and there's a difference for goodness sake.

Not gunna lie, now he kind of turns me on.

Does it take much to turn you on ? *Rubs nipples*

I understand fully what Brandon Flowers is saying.

But I don't really agree only because I don't think England is getting the song the wrong way.

I'm pretty sure they know people over here a wonderful.

One song isn't going to make them think that OH AMERICA SUCKS!

Brandon Flower's should never assume they are taking it differently.

Billie Joe what he said about him knowing their not understanding America is a good place, I think that is totally wrong.

I'm sure Billie Joe know's that nothing is happening, all their doing is responding back to the song, that's what's called a concert a good fucking time :]

BRANDON FLOWERS DOESN'T KNOW WHAT ENGLAND IS THINKING!

HE CAN'T FUCKING ASSUME THEY THINK AMERICA IS AWFUL!

HE COULD BE A BIT JEALOUS CAUSE GREEN DAY IS THE BIGGEST BAND RIGHT NOW!

AND THEY ARE INFLUENCING PEOPLE, SORRY THE KILLERS AREN'T THAT GOOD.

Don't forget to take pictures..

Yeesss. Take some rocks too though.

Im not too fond of Brandon Flowers, he always seems to hate everybody. First Fall Out Boy, now Green Day, what next?

And I liked a few of their older songs, but from what Ive heard from the new album, I think it sucks.

i think its a bunch of shit...he was being cocky and said their new album is the best made in like 20 years or sumthing.

i said fuck that..that album has already been made...(a.i)

Archived