have green day encouraged you to be individual

greenday-are-my-religion

Yeah I did..I was like..one of the kids who were in the 'popular click'...

But I was always into rock...

But my first Green Day cd was Warning..

I got it in like 2001..

And I liked it..But I got into it big time..later on

Then I started collecting all of them..(CDs)

Yeah...then I came out of my 'shell'

But it was before American Idiot..

American Idiot just added to the 'fire'...

Yeah.... It's weird how a band can make you think differently about things...

and make you dress differently..not really make you..But..like encourage you..

I don't know its hard to explain..

:mellow:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was already and individual before I started listening to them.

but I guess I'm more of one now than ever... :thumbsup:

I've always been an individual, an outsider... and I'm d*mn proud of it :cool:

TOTALLY THEY MADE ME THINK DONOT GO WITH THE FLOW BE YOURSELF AND IF PEOPLE OR UR FRIENDS DONT LIKE IT THEN DOT LIKE THEM JUST BE YOURSELF AND NOW I AM AN INDIVIDUAL WITH MY STYLE AND MY OWN MUSIC

there's a difference between not following trends and being yourself.

Sopmething that I've learned recently is that you can try so hard to be yourself and an individual that you end up being somebody else.

Maybe that doesn't make sense, but I've noticed a lot of the people saying they're more individual now actually aren't. they're just conforming to a different stereotype than the majority group. That probably includes me as well before you all yell at me. Just think about it.

Yeah. I see what you mean. Kind of odd isn't it. Sometimes I think people try too hard to be different like a certain group when all their doing is trying to be like that group.

Sopmething that I've learned recently is that you can try so hard to be yourself and an individual that you end up being somebody else.

Maybe that doesn't make sense, but I've noticed a lot of the people saying they're more individual now actually aren't. they're just conforming to a different stereotype than the majority group. That probably includes me as well before you all yell at me. Just think about it.

exactly! going out of your way to be an individual isn't just being yourself, unless you've always just been different from everyone else.

besides, if you're acting a certain way ONLY because of some lyric in a green day song, or something one of them said, or a combination of that, then you're not being yourself, you're being green day.

Yeah. I see what you mean. Kind of odd isn't it. Sometimes I think people try too hard to be different like a certain group when all their doing is trying to be like that group.

yep. like every "punk" who tells you they just wanna be different. :rolleyes:

^ yes the important with this individual thing is to do what you want to do, not the opossite of that everybody does just because you want to be different.

It is easy to say 'be yourself' but hard to understand it compeletely...

Yeah, before I started listening to Green Day I was stuck with the popular music played by hiphop/rap stations. But after I was exposed to Green Day, I kind of went off on my own, exploring the internet, magazines, and recommendations from people and found music that I liked. Listening to Green Day also helped me realize that I don't have to be like everyone else to be cool, and that I should do my own thing and make myself happy instead of trying to please others. I do agree with the statement about how in tryng to be yourself you can become some what like everyone else. It is hard to be an individual when there are millions of other "individuals" out there. You go from one stereotypical label to another. And that saddens me. But I think our society can get over it, and move on to true individuality if we get all of these generalizations of what we think we are supposed to be out of our minds.

I never really tried to fit into a crowd. But Green Day definitely gave me reason to stay away from the crowd, and be true to myself. I started listening to them when I was 14, so it was right around the time in high school where people start getting into cliques. I think their music gave me reason to try and be no part of that, and just enjoy being myself, regardless if i was the only one.

Now that I've grown up somewhat since then, I think their music has given me a bigger reason to be an individual on my own terms. Each year that I get older I feel like i understand more and more who I am, and who I want to be. They definitely had a role in that.

Thats exactly what i was going to say..

I dont know if it has really changed my personality neccesarily but it has changed how i think about stuff i guess.I was an absolute wreck at the beginning of this year, I just felt awful about myself and it was just terrible.Typical 14 year old i guess. I was working really hard in all my classes determined to get As and Bs but i was getting really stressed out about everything. I hatred the way i was going to school everyday i felt as if i wasnt put together i dont know i just felt like absolute shit. Now i was still loud and stuff im not quiet or shy or anything. I was starting to feel better by mid year to i wasnt really depressed or anything i just didnt feel like i did the year before. But then my best friend Christina brought over Bullet in a Bible. I went absolutley insane! I loved the way they performed. After that and i started getting more comfortable with myself. I started dressing a way that i liked and not really giving a shit what the fucking slus at my school thought. I didt start dressing punk or anything just how it fit my personality. So yeah i guess they kind of got me out of my "shell." so thank frick for them! :D

Guest ~GhOsT~

ive never fit in ever but Green Day made me feel better about it (unlike my "parents")

they never encouraged me to be an individual cuz i was always one

Yes, definitely. I've never really fit in anywhere, and I have always felt misplaced in whatever group of people I am with. By the time I was around 13 or 14 I started having a lot of self-esteem issues and was really unaware of who I was, or what I wanted to be like, and I started to become very influenced by the small group of friends I hung out with. The way I talked, acted, and dressed was greatly affected by other people around me because I wanted to fit in somewhere so badly. After I began getting really into Green Day's music I started to realize how stupid that was. A combination of the music they wrote and they things they said really changed my outlook on what being an individual means. They definitely played a part in me "finding myself", as they say.

I really loved it when Billie Joe told Spin magazine that he believes music can change people, and that Operation Ivy changed him. Green Day definitely changed me. I travel to the beat of my own drum, now, and I like it that way. It’s amazing how much can change in a couple of years, and I imagine, like Andres pointed out, that things can only become more clear as you get older.

Believe it or not, three years ago I would actually not tell people I loved Green Day because most of my friends didn't like them. If I did something like that now, I'd have to kick my own ass twice.

Yeah they have. They have helped me in more ways than one. :D

I was this girl who use to care about every single little detail, but now its "what ever"

Chances are what happens no one will rememeber in 10 years. Seeing the guys just be

themselves taught me how easy it can be to not try and fit in and be something you aren't

when i heard them they made me understand that it's better not to be individual

yeah Green Day encouraged me to be an individual. they don't follow a crowd, why should i? Green Day dosen't control my life but they help me.

Definitly. When i was younger i was always the one that was trying to blend in with people and i just agreed with what other people said. That changed in under a year.

Not really. i have never had a problem with being unique or myself whatever.

But i guess when green day are on tour and all and people tell me that they are mainstram whores and im a posure and blah blah blah... i stay an individual becuase i obviously stay a fan...

well, if you're only being an "individual" because of something some band said, how is that being "individual" at all? you're not being yourself either, you're being what the band wants you to be.

though, i guess youwould be being yourself if it's part of your charactor to just do everything your "idols" tell you to do.

Archived