I have an idea on how we as Green Day fans can do our part to make Green Day's fame everlasting

willgc

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright. Sorry that it took me so long to read this, I have been busy / out of town.

I'm all for the idea. GDA gets over 35,000 visitors a day. So i dont think that finding enough people to donate is an issue. But, over the past two years I've learned that just because people say they'll help that doesn't mean they will. When we ask for donations, we get at least 400 requests or so to help us out, ye only about 15 actually go through it. And sadly, it's usually the same 15 everytime we need it. So we need to make sure that enough people will be intrested and actually go through with it. However, we can't support this without Green Day's support in it as well.

While we can put our name on the line for sponsorship, we can't speak for Green Day. The first thing that needs to be done is to find out if Green Day wants the star. Before we nominate them, we have to have their support and their word that if nominated, they will attend the ceremony. It's a rule as part of the nomination procedure.

I didn't really see anything on the nomination faq's and forms that said we had to be a fan club. It didn't say much about how was limited to submitting it.

And yes, all of us gathering $15,000 dollars for a fucking star is a lot. But there's no reason we couldn't do that AND donate to charities. Just today I was thinking about setting up a thing so more people could donate to the American Cancer Society (i'll mention more about that later.)

So what if they're rich? This has nothing to do with money. It's probably the only thing the fans could give them, aside from voting in award ceremonies (which i think we all agree has gotten pretty old) and buying their stuff.

I dont doubt that we could do it, it's just a matter of looking further into the details before we plan it.

With that, I think we should wait before we start going around all the other forums looking for support. For right now, I think keeping it a local GDC thing would be best till we can work out all the details and find out wether or not we can do this. Then we can post it on GDA and all over the web once we find out for sure all the details, and wether or not Green Day is even intrested.

Sounds great! I too saw on the faqs that it doesn't have to be a fan club, but as I said earlier, I have a family member whose done this before (to be more specific, my mother helped head up the group that got Jane Seymour her star on the WoF for Television in 1998) and I learned back then that in order to be seriously considered (there are about 200 nominations a year/20 selected out of those) you should be a fan group with at least a few thousand members and I think this constitutes that kind of group.

As far as contacting them, which do you think would be a better route, Adeline or Reprise?

And as far as the donating goes, the other thing I learned back in '98 is that there is a major incentive to donate. The people who help the absolute most for this will be standing right next to Green Day when they get that star. The next level of people will be given the chance to get into the party afterwards. I imagine anyone who is willing to pay $100 for a ticket to a concert would pay the same (maybe more) to actually meet them face to face.

EDIT: I contacted Adeline records, we'll see what happens!

Adeline won't get you far. They don't comment much on Green Day. They haven't in the past, but who knows.

The right step would be through their manager or someone at Reprise.

I also don't know if we should start saying "if you donate, you'll be able to attend the ceremony" because I dont know how feasible it would be to assure everyone who donated that they would go.

As far as the fan club / membership thing, that won't be hard to setup. I dont know how official we would have to be (meaning getting some kind of notice from Reprise as an "official fan club" since the Idiot Club is the official one.), but we could call ourselves a fan club and have tons of people register to it.

Well i'm not deffenently not expecting an invite if this happens I just want to donate to see it happen for them :)

Oh yeah it's just a honor to give these guys something.

I don't need to be there really. If I could, it would be amazing but still, I'm not paying for that.

And yes, we have to make sure first that every detail is covered. But I think we can manage that. Don't we? And there are a lot of people who say that they are in and don't pay afterwards but why? If you give 1 dollar, it's allready enough. Everything helps.

Oh yeah, come to think about, valuta change. Oh well we see when it's so far. :)

wow this is a great idea. im so excited! lets see....5 years from now i'll almost be done with college so I could prolly save some money up and drive out there and donate a good share of money. weeee this is exciting!

do you think Reprise wont say yes to us cuz we're not official. c'mon we've got to have more members than the idiot club right? :unsure:

That would be awsome. When I read this I was like 'Why dont they have one already?' but anyway, yeah is we did that I might put some money in, if my mom lets me.

i think it's a good idea, and so on

what does the money go on? is it just to pay for the star being made, and shit? or does it go on something else, less related to the actual star? cos i think people should know exactly what they're paying for before they donate.

i know loads of people who volunteer money probably won't donate but, on the other hand, with the idiot club etc in combination eventually it still ends up as a lot of people who will pay. plus spread over 5 years....its a lot.

i think its an awesome idea and id definitely donate, you could hold me to that, im just unsure how we could contact them. i wouldnt be able to attend the ceremony (too far!) but id donate anyway.

okay, I'm contacting Andres about this, I was hoping he'd post his thoughts on here, but I'll e-mail him. I really want GDA to get the credit for this, all I want out of this is to see my favorite band get a piece of recognition they deserve (and I ticket to the ceremony when it happens)!

EDIT: I've emailed GDA about this. I really hope they back it. I understand that many here think it's a waste of money. I respect your decisions. I'm just trying to do something I believe is good. I would fill out and submit the nomination myself, but I'd rather see Andres do it. The head of a website with thousands of registered users looks better than one solitary fan.

awsome.

i have they/him reply. :eyebrows:

eh.

wouldnt you rather donate money to charity?

See, I would still continue to donate to charaties...I can give a few bucks up for it!

It would be cool to know I was one of the fans that was responsable for that star! :thumbsup:

But then I would feel like I had to get my ass to Cali to see the dedication...but It would be worth it I guess.

Wow, that'll be simple.

I'm on!

100 bucks? Wowee.

Motley Crue are on there :P

exactly...so GD should be.

I was thinking about this and thought -- I remember Billie Joe saying he depises celebrities, so I dont know how he would feel about the whole Hollywood walk of fame. But the more I think about it, and after watching him at ALL the award shows this last year, it seems as if he realizes and accepts that he is a celebrity.

So hopefully he and Mike and Tre would happily accept the nomination/and or star. I will certainly donate but please let me know if I can help in any additional way.

I was thinking about this and thought -- I remember Billie Joe saying he depises celebraties, so I dont know how he would feel about the whole Hollywood walk of fame. But the more I think about it, and after watching him at ALL the award shows this last year, it seems as if he realizes and accepts that he is a celebrity.

So hopefully he and Mike and Tre would happily accept the nomination/and or star. I will certainly donate but please let me know if I can help in any additional way.

true...he did say that.

mabye if we got them a spot where there were no crappy fucked-up celebrities around them?

I was thinking about this and thought -- I remember Billie Joe saying he depises celebraties, so I dont know how he would feel about the whole Hollywood walk of fame. But the more I think about it, and after watching him at ALL the award shows this last year, it seems as if he realizes and accepts that he is a celebrity.

i was thinking the exact same thing :P

well, the least we can do is try and find out whether they would support the idea or not.

i was thinking the exact same thing :P

well, the least we can do is try and find out whether they would support the idea or not.

there's that.... :whistling:

:thumbsup: Count me in! Lol, I babysit so yea I can get the $10 needed. Fuck this is so awesum!

Archived