Green Day's bad PR

Fuzz

ya i know....it sux. and the whole pulling their shit from lookout. i know its "a goog business decision" but gimme a fuckin break, they probly got 200 million in the bank. without lookout, theyd be nowhere. theres really no excuse for that one. i mean, they pretty much single handedly shut lookout down. they layed off tons of people, and have barely any bands left, which arent selling.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think if they "dissapear" for a couple of years and come back with another kick ass album they're sellout title might go away. If they keep releasing new singles and crap from AI (as much as I worship the album) someone might assassinate Billie Joe :o:(

that was harsh, i lost some of my respect for them when i read that

in it for themselves, didn't anyone notice at the start of ai :rolleyes:

in it for themselves, didn't anyone notice at the start of ai :rolleyes:

yes, but at that stage i could still convince myself that i was imagining things :rolleyes:

Well i think you're idiots if you lose respect for the band for anything. No matter what they do, as annoying as it may be, they are awesome musicians and if you can't respect that, you're a worthless fan of their music. Which is what matteers.

As much as i like all the singles offa AI, i think that releasing another one would be a mistake, ad as much as i would like to see the movie and all, in some respects i think that it would be suicide becuase like so many people have already said, they don't need to drag it out anymore. Not to disrespect them or anything cause i would never say a bad word against their music, but it seems as if we all feel the same.

I think they milked American Idiot too much. Granted they made a lot of money out of it, but it all went too far, I think. They just need to take a break now.

And a lot of people got pissed off by the fact that Warner refused to show some of their concerts on tv (T in the Park and such) and by all that big deal they made out of the leak of some of their videos, hence that criticism towards the band. Plus, the media give a distorted image of the guys. I mean, older fans know Green Day is not the band MTV wants to show us. People who did not know them before this album came out may think that they are just "that annoying band whose songs are on the radio all the time, or whose videos are on Mtv all the time". That's the common impression.

But like I said, they need to take a break before releasing another album, the whole AI thing went too far.

Well i think you're idiots if you lose respect for the band for anything. No matter what they do, as annoying as it may be, they are awesome musicians and if you can't respect that, you're a worthless fan of their music. Which is what matteers.

i could never lose respect for their music, however, they are still human, and as the rest of us do, they make mistakes, and have opinions that perhaps arent shared by the rest of us. i think its a bit over the top to say you couldnt lose respect for them over anything, what id (i know this wouldnt happen, but take it to the extreme) billie killed your best friend or something? would you just say "aah well, ill let him get away with it because hes such an awesome musician"? i highly doubt that.

ya i know....it sux. and the whole pulling their shit from lookout. i know its "a goog business decision" but gimme a fuckin break, they probly got 200 million in the bank. without lookout, theyd be nowhere. theres really no excuse for that one.

Are they going to re-release it themselves now or something?

Cuz my friend cant find Kerplunk anywhere, so I burned it for her.

someone might assassinate Billie Joe :o:(

lmao made me giggle, what moron would assassinate Billie Joe? I don't think it would go that far

I never said that I lost respect for them.... I still worship them as Gods so don't even go there :rolleyes:

You know, I think a lot of people forget that Green Day are in the " Music Business ".

Maybe the fans should concentrate more on the "music" part and less on the "business".

Especially those that don't understand how it all works.

i could never lose respect for their music, however, they are still human, and as the rest of us do, they make mistakes, and have opinions that perhaps arent shared by the rest of us. i think its a bit over the top to say you couldnt lose respect for them over anything, what id (i know this wouldnt happen, but take it to the extreme) billie killed your best friend or something? would you just say "aah well, ill let him get away with it because hes such an awesome musician"? i highly doubt that.

come back to reality. then ask a serious question.

i wasnt aware that there was a question in there really, it was kinda rhetorical (sp?)

anyway, the point of the above nonsense was basically to say i think that its a bit unrealistic to say that you could never lose respect for them, though i can understand that you think losing respect for them over this was a bit over the top.

I would never question my respect for thir music, it just how far they have taken it, why can't they just be first and foremost musicians? Not all the mavie malarcy.

i said musically. him killing my friend has nothing to do with his music.

I would never question my respect for thir music, it just how far they have taken it, why can't they just be first and foremost musicians? Not all the mavie malarcy.

i'm pretty sure they wrote the music before they sold it.

i said musically. him killing my friend has nothing to do with his music.

well me saying the thing with bad religion had nothing to do with the music either, so why are we arguing??

ya i know....it sux. and the whole pulling their shit from lookout. i know its "a goog business decision" but gimme a fuckin break, they probly got 200 million in the bank. without lookout, theyd be nowhere. theres really no excuse for that one. i mean, they pretty much single handedly shut lookout down. they layed off tons of people, and have barely any bands left, which arent selling.

No... they didn't single handedly shut Lookout! down. Chris Applegren (I think that's his last name), the guy who took over after Lawrence Livermore left made a LOT of mistakes in running the business, spending money they didn't have trying to promote bands that ended up going nowhere, instead of paying royalties. And it wasn't just Green Day who was owed money either. This was over a period of (at least) ten years, don't you think if someone owed you money over that span of time, you'd get fed up at some point? Lookout! fell apart, because of bad management, not because Green Day screwed them in the ass...

i still love listening to them, and i love walking to school while listening to them and stuff, but i think the days of me staying up all night and looking at shit about them online and downloading countless interviews are over. If ive learned one thing from all this, its "never love something so much you cant let go of it". It might sound like im bein kinda harsh, theyre still my favorite band, but theyve done some bad bad things lately.

and andres, if all you care about is the music, why the hell did you start this thread? and why are we on a green day forum for that matter.

Directly from a letter from the owner of Lookout!

"The changes we looked at were not because Lookout would no longer have Green Day's first two albums but had to happen because our business was not healthy. Green Day's decision was a result of our internal problems not a cause. "

and andres, if all you care about is the music, why the hell did you start this thread? and why are we on a green day forum for that matter.

I love all the Green Day merch.I didn't say I was tired of it. I didn't say all i care about is the music. I said people are worthless fans if they lose respect for them as musicians becuase of their record label or any decision they make to let or not let someone do something with their music.

"The changes we looked at were not because Lookout would no longer have Green Day's first two albums but had to happen because our business was not healthy. Green Day's decision was a result of our internal problems not a cause. "

even lawrence livermore said somewhere (i can't find where) that he didn't blame green day for taking the records of lookout! and that he would have done it sooner had he been in their position

im sure theyre kinda trying to be polite, but do you think its a strange coincidence that they layed off ALL those people within a few days of the green day pulling their records? and its more then just lookout, think about all the east bay bands now that dont have a prayer cus they dont have anyone thatll sign em.

You know, I think a lot of people forget that Green Day are in the " Music Business ".

Maybe the fans should concentrate more on the "music" part and less on the "business".

Especially those that don't understand how it all works.

I completely agree. Honestly, I know shit about how the music industry works, so its kind of hard for me to give an opinion on this. I mean who knows how much of a say the guys actually get when it comes to a lot of these decisons being made since AI came out. All I know is I'm a fan of green day's music and I'll keep supporting them as long as they continue to make great music, and as long as they don't do something seriously lame, then I can't picture ever losing any respect for them.

Btw, I didn't know anything about that Bad Religion incident, that was pretty wrong of green day i must say.

I love all the Green Day merch.I didn't say I was tired of it. I didn't say all i care about is the music. I said people are worthless fans if they lose respect for them as musicians becuase of their record label or any decision they make to let or not let someone do something with their music.

i havnt lost respect for em as musicians. theyre my favorite to listen to, and musical geniouses, but im just questioning them as what they claimed to be as people.

Archived