What Green Day used to be

cabot_girl

When they did AI, they had no idea it would be so popular. They also didn't know if by saying what they thought about the political climate of their country, they would have a backlash against them which would prevent the cd from being played a lot on radio or MTV. If you look at it, almost no artists in this country have actually come out and condemned the war in the manner they have, because everyone is scared of the far right. This could have been a huge step back for them but they did it anyway. If they were just concerned about being popular, they wouldn't have taken such a risk. The songs were so good, they ended up with the most critically acclaimed and most popular cd of the year. If they hadn't been so good, they could have been commercially destroyed.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with the underwear and shirts, I don't think they've sold out or anything. They just got a little more recognition, that's all.

Even with the underwear and shirts, I don't think they've sold out or anything. They just got a little more recognition, that's all.

:)

What really bothers me about new Green Day is that they are soooo predictable. Where's the fun in that? We all know what they will wear, which song they'll play on Conan, when in Hitchin' a ride Billie puts his hands down his pants.

your totally missing the point....the point is green day used to say stuff all the time about their ethics and morals stuff they never wish to do ro ebcome...and now their all of it.

YES....the video itself isn't about the music(but I do think the their new album is mostly crap too)...its about their beliefs of before and now and how they have contradiced themselves in better of a more mianstream life....This video was made to help fans or curious people of the band to notice how in many ways they have thrown away their past politics, ethics, and philosophies in favor of huge commercial sucess (THIS IS WAY DIFFERENT THAN WITH DOOKIE....DON'T GIVE ME THAT EXCUSE). They are in many ways their own "Walking Contradiction"

do i need to say KIDZ POP people...or cell phone commercials advertizing the download of the "Holiday" ringtone

Thank you whoever posted this topic. Its good to know few of us have some of the same thoughts and beliefs. And why do people always put me down..its so riduluos when its just about a video....stop trying to defend the band, when I gurntee you I have more info about the band than most of you......Why don't some of you actually reply were CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIZISM and stop blabaling with your rude, ignorant, stupid comments.

in 1994, they were 3 guys making great music, in 2005, they are still 3 guys making great music, and if they want to sell afew dog jumpers along the way, well I simply dont care about it

Being 33 years old,still pretending to be a teenager,singing Dookie style songs,completly ignoring the fact,that you are (were) married and have kids,not adressing your real lives circumstanses,riding the wave,that made you big,till it becomes ridiculus to watch = selling out!!!!!!!!

BJ said,that for him doing the same thing over and over again would be a faith worse then death - the end.

if I had a penny for every time someonesaid that repititious line, I would have like a billion of them...the fact that you close yourself off to comparing things with dookie seems to me like your not a very open minded Green Day fan. So let me get this straight.....when they were all 29 (Warning) you considered them to be doing Dookie stuff?? and acting like teenagers....why must people shallow themselves to this Dookie era of there carear...why is that so ridicuosly important to people...NO SHIT THATS WHEN THEY GOT BIG....don't give me that line. They have played punk rock for 15 years, and now all of the sudden.."oh...hey guys lets make something that everyone will like...lets try to be great rock stars and forget our past completely" Are you also trying to say that they didn't give a shit about their family and marrige before American Idiot?...and or about politics and such? I hope not! ...what the fuck is up with that....you do know he let Addriene and his son go along with them on the Nimrod tour I beleive. Is that caring?....I believe that is.

you know what makes me laugh...this quote "dookie style songs"

makes me think you don't have a clue that they had previos albums...why couldn't you have said 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy hous type songs...or Sweet Children type of songs....who are you to label their style as Dookie style...no..shame on you....there is no such thing as "Dookie" style...there is Green Day style....now that I can relate to, but the fact that you shoved this Dooke BULLSHIT in my face.. its just errie and insulting to the bands efferts in their later albums in their carear...they have always tried to make different punk styles of musis and not try t copy anything...especially this "Dookie" type ou talk about.

sausages.

lol...i love that picture of the emo kid.....ITS BILLIE EVERYONE THE EMO KID...good stuff...everything in that video is so true too.

sausages.

lol...i love that picture of the emo kid.....ITS BILLIE EVERYONE THE EMO KID...good stuff...everything in that video is so true too.

Selling out is soooo 1994. :whistling:

We need to see more of Billie Joe putting his hands down his pants.

that is what is so predictable..RIGHT THERE....putting his fucking hands down his pants for the enjoyment of thousands of little girls.

this debate is so old

fuck- if you like green day dont bitch

if you dont like them coz they sold out, became to pop or that their concert are to repeatative which seems to have become a new complaints dont listern to them

You can't stop people liking a certain song or type of music. Therefore it's not Green Days fault that a lot of people currently like their style. They've always played music since they were kids and people have loved/hated them at different stages along the way but they never gave a fuck and just kept on playing. And they still do. The way I see it, music is their lives and they are going to keep playing whether it's on a huge stage in front of 50000 people or in their poky garages in front of the cat.

enjoiskaterguy

why couldn't you have said 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy hous type songs...or Sweet Children type of songs

because dookie is quicker to write. :mellow:

The way I see it, music is their lives and they are going to keep playing whether it's on a huge stage in front of 50000 people or in their poky garages in front of the cat.

i concur. and hehe...cat.

i watched that and it seems to me is that they have matured thats all

this isnt neverland

we dont stay young and bitter forever

we all must grow up

YES....the video itself isn't about the music(but I do think the their new album is mostly crap too)...its about their beliefs of before and now and how they have contradiced themselves in better of a more mianstream life....

Yeah, their new stuff is crap, thats why they have won zillions of awards and this album will go down as one of the best in music history.

Thank you whoever posted this topic. Its good to know few of us have some of the same thoughts and beliefs. And why do people always put me down..its so riduluos when its just about a video....stop trying to defend the band, when I gurntee you I have more info about the band than most of you......Why don't some of you actually reply were CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIZISM and stop blabaling with your rude, ignorant, stupid comments.

Now, now...don't be rude. Green Day won zillions of awards...does that make them crap? Retards don't win any awards...why aren't they president?

Now, now...don't be rude. Green Day won zillions of awards...does that make them crap? Retards don't win any awards...why aren't they president?

I was being sarcastic. I am saying if AI was crap (like enjoysk8rguy thinks) they wouldnt have won the zillions of awards.

I was being sarcastic. I am saying if AI was crap (like enjoysk8rguy thinks) they wouldnt have won the zillions of awards.

they got a zillion awards because they have the money to put huge comercial advertizing on their new album which puts pressure on music lovers to like them, and or critics and then they end up voting for them....the same goes for the masses as well......any mainstream band that has a lot of money and a record company that has a lot of money are going to advertize it to death until they create everyone to beleive it is the greatest album of all time....ITS A MARKETING SCAM PEOPLE....all mainstream advertizing....its on every damn commercial, store, and website....its just trying to pul you in to make you think that you want whatever their advertizing....and in this case its American Idiot. They want you to be so desensitized with the word American Idiot, you accept it very easy....you do this aso becasue its played a lot on MTV and the radio a LOT so you get used to the song of the songs and then they start to grow on you....no mater if you have liked the band before or that stle of music...those forms of media are meant to push you to buy products...the songs themselves are advertizements saying GO BUY ME.....I WANT MY CREATOR TO BECOME RICH ROCH RICH...some radio station though do play local or underground, or unpopular bands just so people can listen to them, not for the money and or playtime.

Uh Uh...it's not a marketing scam. It's because they song's are hot...they're requested by tons of fans out there...that's why the songs and videos are constantly played. Besides, there were tons of fans before American Idiot came out...and after it came out, the fan count could only increase.

Archived