What Green Day used to be

cabot_girl

Was i watching the right video,it was just a short interveiw with billie then them performing.

Yeah there pretty good :happy:

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is to enjoiskaterguy and yet again, i connot use the quote thingy

you said that green day didnt care who bought their albums in 94, fuck that

they cared more back then then they do now

in the many dookie interveiws that i have, the topic of selling out comes up by the interviewer, at which point all of the bands members put up this defencive wall, in recent interviews, you can tell that they just dont give a fuck ....even my teacher said (he has been a green day fan for a long time) that they used to care about everything, what the public thought of them, what "punks" thought of them, and now they are more at ease, and i dont see how you could think otherwise, the interviews prove it

you also said that their new "style" was an attempt to appeal to a certain audiance, fuck that aswell

you are using their image as more of a "they dress like that, so obviosly they have to care what people think of them" they only thing that is new is the eyeliner, and the fact that sometimes, they all wear the same thing, red and black?? well its only on their album cover....why elses would green day wear it

have your opinions, but dont be a close-minded fuck

I'm not even going to watch it but AMEN! AMEN TO THAT! I agree with everything Andres said

Lmao =)

Niiiice. Good way to go clean, because you can't disagree with Andres >.> <.<

although that video makes me kinda sad.. green day are still the same people as they were 17 years ago. nobody and nothing is going to change that. they just grew up a little

this is to enjoiskaterguy and yet again, i connot use the quote thingy

in the many dookie interveiws that i have, the topic of selling out comes up by the interviewer, at which point all of the bands members put up this defencive wall, in recent interviews, you can tell that they just dont give a fuck ....even my teacher said (he has been a green day fan for a long time) that they used to care about everything, what the public thought of them, what "punks" thought of them, and now they are more at ease, and i dont see how you could think otherwise, the interviews prove it

you also said that their new "style" was an attempt to appeal to a certain audiance, fuck that aswell

you are using their image as more of a "they dress like that, so obviosly they have to care what people think of them" they only thing that is new is the eyeliner, and the fact that sometimes, they all wear the same thing, red and black?? well its only on their album cover....why elses would green day wear it

have your opinions, but dont be a close-minded fuck

that couldnt have been said any better. :thumbsup:

although that video makes me kinda sad.. green day are still the same people as they were 17 years ago. nobody and nothing is going to change that. they just grew up a little

that couldnt have been said any better. :thumbsup:

Exactly.

what is this post even supposed to mean? of course they don't care who buys their records, so long as lots of people do.

the only thing green day care about is there music and they are making it for people who want to listen to it

they care about the fact that people are enjoying there music and they are getting there point across

they dont give a shit about nothing any more! they do what they want- look at american idiot they could have played it safe and done another album but now they have done something that means something to them and they didnt care what ppl thought as long as they wrere happy with the record!

they pushed the boundries with american idiot and they could have failed miserably with taking the risk of putting the album out there but they did, and they didnt care cos they have nothing to loose anymore!

the only thing green day care about is there music and they are making it for people who want to listen to it

they care about the fact that people are enjoying there music and they are getting there point across

they dont give a shit about nothing any more! they do what they want- look at american idiot they could have played it safe and done another album but now they have done something that means something to them and they didnt care what ppl thought as long as they wrere happy with the record!

they pushed the boundries with american idiot and they could have failed miserably with taking the risk of putting the album out there but they did, and they didnt care cos they have nothing to loose anymore!

billie joe saying "we want to be the biggest band in the world" basically contradicts your entire post, so i won't bother arguing any further.

Okay, I have a question for you. Does having big dreams for the band = not caring about the music anymore?

yes, partly so. if you make a statement like "we want to be the biggest band in the world", then that obviously will affect the music. we've seen it with american idiot. you can't deny that there's been a complete 180 degree turn from warning-era green day to american idiot-era green day. they've literally gone from "i wanna be the minority" to this.

Guest Immortality

yes, partly so. if you make a statement like "we want to be the biggest band in the world", then that obviously will affect the music. we've seen it with american idiot. you can't deny that there's been a complete 180 degree turn from warning-era green day to american idiot-era green day. they've literally gone from "i wanna be the minority" to this.

Okay I agree you see the change, definitely the sound is different, and the themes are different. But some of that does have to do with the world we live in, I mean, how much longer can they write about masturbation and boredom and have it be meaningful? Stuff like this kind of relates to the world more, and the current times. It's not completely fair to say Billie wrote it all to be the biggest band in the world without some of it coming from his heart and what he saw going on around him at the time. I mean, if you live in a world, in some way, you're going to be influenced by it, unless you crawl under a rock and die. I don't think wanting to have a successful band means they stop caring about the music, I think it makes them more aware when they write it and think about what should be on the CD or not, and how the people will react. Ovbiously you're going to think about it in the back of your mind. But I'd find it hard to believe Billie would go from writing from his heart to completely writing to please people. AI pissed people off too, so, I think there has to be some...I don't know...pureness to the music.

billie joe saying "we want to be the biggest band in the world" basically contradicts your entire post, so i won't bother arguing any further.

Wasn't the comment about being the biggest band in the world made after the release of AI and all the success that was following that? I think so and that would also show once again that they did what they wanted when they wanted and could have only sold 5 albums and been outcasts like the dixie chicks were when they spoke up.

You guys, NEVER SELL RECORDS. And, for the love of God, no matter what happens, no matter what you think, no matter what evolution might take place, NEVER EVER CHANGE YOUR OPINIONS. Cause... uh oh!!

Wasn't the comment about being the biggest band in the world made after the release of AI and all the success that was following that? I think so and that would also show once again that they did what they wanted when they wanted and could have only sold 5 albums and been outcasts like the dixie chicks were when they spoke up.

actually listening to american idiot, it's entirely apparent that they recorded the album in that mindset. either way, it doesn't matter. also, how the fuck did green day "speak up" against bush. green day offered nothing outside the realm of pointless musician rhetoric. i remember when bush got re-elected, much ran a program on celebrity reaction, and green day was spewing the exact same "omg bush sux" shit that everyone else was.

Okay I agree you see the change, definitely the sound is different, and the themes are different. But some of that does have to do with the world we live in, I mean, how much longer can they write about masturbation and boredom and have it be meaningful? Stuff like this kind of relates to the world more, and the current times. It's not completely fair to say Billie wrote it all to be the biggest band in the world without some of it coming from his heart and what he saw going on around him at the time. I mean, if you live in a world, in some way, you're going to be influenced by it, unless you crawl under a rock and die. I don't think wanting to have a successful band means they stop caring about the music, I think it makes them more aware when they write it and think about what should be on the CD or not, and how the people will react. Ovbiously you're going to think about it in the back of your mind. But I'd find it hard to believe Billie would go from writing from his heart to completely writing to please people. AI pissed people off too, so, I think there has to be some...I don't know...pureness to the music.

i'm not saying there was no heart in the album, nor am i saying that a band can't change or be influenced. listening to the album though, it's obvious (to anyone with an idea of the goings-on in music) that green day crafted the album for maximum mainstream impact. look at the production. not to say that any of green day's major label albums were ever lo-fi, but american idiot is so glossed over that the sound is the same as any commercial rock album out there today. also, a song like bobd? come on. if you can't see how that song was a desperate attempt at a mainstream hit, then i really don't know what to think of you. also, every press release leading up to the album raved about how wmuwse was the "new" good riddance., which was their biggest mainstream hit at that point. it's hard to make a case for that being billie's doing, but it no doubt had to be playing in his mind when he was writing the song.

You guys, NEVER SELL RECORDS. And, for the love of God, no matter what happens, no matter what you think, no matter what evolution might take place, NEVER EVER CHANGE YOUR OPINIONS. Cause... uh oh!!

i like plenty of bands that sell records, green day being one of them. i also like this other obscure band, not sure if you've heard of them, but, the beatles? i have no problems with how much a band sells or doesn't sell. my issue is with integrity. there's something fishy about a band going from "i wanna be the minority" to "we want to be the biggest band in the world" over the course of one album.

That is so perfect. Great response!

i like plenty of bands that sell records, green day being one of them. i also like this other obscure band, not sure if you've heard of them, but, the beatles? i have no problems with how much a band sells or doesn't sell. my issue is with integrity. there's something fishy about a band going from "i wanna be the minority" to "we want to be the biggest band in the world" over the course of one album.

I took Minority to mean personally they dont want to be like everyone else, not that they didnt want to be a successful band. Here is what billie joe says minority is about:

MINORITY

This song is about being an individual and finding the person you want to be. "Minority is about being an individual. It's like you have to sift through the darkness to find your place and be that individual you want to be your entire life." - Billie Joe

I think maybe you are reading too much into it.

Guest Immortality
there's something fishy about a band going from "i wanna be the minority" to "we want to be the biggest band in the world" over the course of one album.

But with a couple of years to think about it, it's not so far-fetched. They are also growing up, they can't be snotty brats "fuck the world" forever. Eventually they have to try and view things a bit differently.

green day offered nothing outside the realm of pointless musician rhetoric

But it's not pointless. You simply think it is because you don't agree with how it was produced.

i'm not saying there was no heart in the album, nor am i saying that a band can't change or be influenced. listening to the album though, it's obvious (to anyone with an idea of the goings-on in music) that green day crafted the album for maximum mainstream impact. look at the production. not to say that any of green day's major label albums were ever lo-fi, but american idiot is so glossed over that the sound is the same as any commercial rock album out there today. also, a song like bobd? come on. if you can't see how that song was a desperate attempt at a mainstream hit, then i really don't know what to think of you. also, every press release leading up to the album raved about how wmuwse was the "new" good riddance., which was their biggest mainstream hit at that point. it's hard to make a case for that being billie's doing, but it no doubt had to be playing in his mind when he was writing the song.

Look, I can't pretend to know what's going on inside their head. But my first thought was that, no, they crafted the album for maximum bang factor. A, did he just say that? type of thing. If you want that to equal mainstream in your mind fine. I can't change your mind. But did you ever stop to think that maybe they wanted to finally start glossing over their work and moving towards a different sound? I mean, you can see in the previous CDs that their sound is changing, it's not like it happened in the course of one transition, though the last transition was a bigger leap than the others. And about BOBD, no, I don't see how it was crafted to be a hit. I think Billie wrote it, and maybe later they saw, oh hey, this could be a hit. But I don't Billie they ever write stuff with the intention of making it a mainstream hit. Songs are songs, it's really just that simple. I don't believe Billie would give up all his integrety for one song, but then again, I'm not cynical like you. And I'm not even going to address WMUWSE because that's sheer idiocy.

every press release leading up to the album raved about how wmuwse was the "new" good riddance., which was their biggest mainstream hit at that point. it's hard to make a case for that being billie's doing, but it no doubt had to be playing in his mind when he was writing the song.

Yeah right, and Billie Joe somehow concocted hurricane katrina to happen right before sept to help that song be a bigger "mainstream" success.

Guest Immortality

Yeah right, and Billie Joe somehow concocted hurricane katrina to happen right before sept to help that song be a bigger success.

Course he did. Just like he wanted his father to die.

Course he did. Just like he wanted his father to die.

completely agree with you, people are getting way too cynical about these songs. BOBD is about where's Billie's head's normally at, his isolation, and he's been writing about that for a long time - I'm listening to 'Insomniac' right now, and there's plenty of stuff on there on the same subject.

Surely you can tell there's no bullshit going here? He would have been well capable of writing some exploitive emo crap if he had wanted - he didn't, and he wouldn't, because he has his own standards, not to mention his back catalogue, to live up to.

As for 'September', no-one who saw Billie perform that song live could be in any doubt where it came from, and what it does to him every time.

It would move a heart of stone!!!!

That is so perfect. Great response!

I took Minority to mean personally they dont want to be like everyone else, not that they didnt want to be a successful band. Here is what billie joe says minority is about:

MINORITY

This song is about being an individual and finding the person you want to be. "Minority is about being an individual. It's like you have to sift through the darkness to find your place and be that individual you want to be your entire life." - Billie Joe

I think maybe you are reading too much into it.

hah. i'm reading too much into it? i took the lyrics exactly as it was written, while you dissected it and threw in other quotes regarding it. did you say i was reading too much into it? also, if they don't want to be like everyone else, billie sure is doing a good job by throwing on eyeliner, starting his own clothing line, and spewing out random weak bush bashes.

also, if they don't want to be like everyone else, billie sure is doing a good job by throwing on eyeliner, starting his own clothing line, and spewing out random weak bush bashes.

Or maybe a bunch of other people are doing a good job of being like Billie Joe.

Archived