Anaheim Secret Show - 3/19 House of Blues

A Worry Rock

Saw Jason was missing, hopefully nothing too serious if he’ll be back for the summer.  What a lot of pressure for his stand in! We could benefit hugely if they want to do this a couple of times for him to get tour ready…or maybe just this once will be it.

Well that's what I call a setlist. Damn I love this band.

Take care Jason, we love you 😘

• Like 2
  • Love 2

They need to slow down Living In the 20s a bit :lol:, seems like a struggle to keep up with the singing

Dying to see Fancy Sauce!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

When I saw a video of them playing Bobby Sox earlier in the year it was too fast. Maybe it's because they're not used to playing the songs live yet and will adjust them (ones they keep playing anyway).

Hi Hermione!

What do you mean “too fast”? You mean to make it sound exactly like it does on the album? With some minor exception, Green Day play all their songs faster, some way faster by anywhere from 10-20 bpm faster than they do on the album to make them more danceable and grittier. I’ve heard the song “She” so fast that it sound like a different song. They don’t need to practice playing live to get the tempo right. Well I mean they are indeed trying to find a tempo they like to play live if you mean that but they don’t have to practice to play it at their desired speed. They’ve been doing this a while, new songs or not. 

Hope everyone had fun last night.

• Like 2

WHOA! Never guessed they would play Saviors in full! Very excited to check out the performances later after work. Sounds like an amazing night!

• Like 3

Can't wait too see Goodnight Adeline ans Fancy Sauce being played live. Considering how good BJ perfoms now i have the hope he can do Goodnight Adeline well. 

• Like 2

Did anyone get any recordings of Ultra Q? 👀

34 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Hi Hermione!

What do you mean “too fast”? You mean to make it sound exactly like it does on the album? With some minor exception, Green Day play all their songs faster, some way faster by anywhere from 10-20 bpm faster than they do on the album to make them more danceable and grittier. I’ve heard the song “She” so fast that it sound like a different song. They don’t need to practice playing live to get the tempo right. Well I mean they are indeed trying to find a tempo they like to play live if you mean that but they don’t have to practice to play it at their desired speed. They’ve been doing this a while, new songs or not. 

Hope everyone had fun last night.

Bobby Sox works better slower than they played it, it's that slightly slower pace that makes it good to jump to and "makes" the song, similar to say When I Come Around. And in that video of Living In the 20s it's like all the energy has to be spent on trying to get the lyrics out fast enough to keep up with the instruments instead of getting more power into them. So imo these two songs should be played slightly slower, even though some songs can work faster live than on recordings.

• Like 3

Just now, Hermione said:

Bobby Sox works better slower than they played it, it's that slightly slower pace that makes it good to jump to and "makes" the song. And in that video of Living In the 20s it's like all the energy has to be spent on trying to get the lyrics out fast enough to keep up with the instruments instead of getting more power into them. So imo these two songs should be played slightly slower, even though some songs can work faster live than on recordings.

Maybe after playing them for an audience they’ll make adjustments. This show seemed like a road test for all the new songs to see what works and what the audience responds to.

I like the choice of no guitar for Living in the 20’s. I also think Coma City and Strange Days sound really tight and are great live songs. I was even surprised by how much more I liked Father to a Son live.  Maybe it’s his live vocal, the full band in place of orchestra or the tempo but it sounded very good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe after playing them for an audience they’ll make adjustments. This show seemed like a road test for all the new songs to see what works and what the audience responds to.

I like the choice of no guitar for Living in the 20’s. I also think Coma City and Strange Days sound really tight and are great live songs. I was even surprised by how much more I liked Father to a Son live.  Maybe it’s his live vocal, the full band in place of orchestra or the tempo but it sounded very good.

Yeah I think so, they will tweak things about the songs as they play them live more. And it will be better to hear professional recordings. Still a great performance! 

• Like 2

WHAT THE FUCK? Saviors in full? Pulling Teeth? Coming Clean? She's a Rebel? Extraordinary Girl? oh fuck yeah! This was a surprise, I thought they'd do something like the Irving setlist. My mind is blown.

• Like 3