Why are festival dates marked as ‘non-album’?

pucky

I know what you are going to tell me because it’s the main response I’ve seen on Reddit or Twitter, that bands have shorter slots on festivals than their own shows, but it’s not generally true.

In Spain and Portugal most festivals that I’ve been to allow Headliners to play as much as they want. I saw Green Day play 2.5h in BBK Live (Bilbao, Spain) and Mad Cool Festival (Madrid, Spain), and other bands such as Pearl Jam or GNR playing 3+ hours.

In a bit of an obsessive moment I searched the European festivals that Green Day are playing this summer and found the timetables for previous years and confirmed that in those cases too, Headliners play their full show. Hell, in some cases Green Day themselves played 2 - 2.5h too in the past.

I think the USA has more limiting times for festivals, curfews etc which means the limited time argument does apply there, but it’s still confusing that they added the ‘non-album’ disclaimer for the European dates too.

I guess I’m just trying to find reassurance that at least in Spain they will play both albums, I imagine no-one can really know and we will have to wait and see, but I can’t see any reason not to play both albums at least in Madrid, since the organisers sent an email indicating that both albums would be played, and their Social Media account confirmed to me that Green Day would have 2h 20m to play their full set, which is enough time for the full thing.

29 minutes ago, pucky said:

I guess I’m just trying to find reassurance that at least in Spain they will play both albums

In Spain they putted an asterix (*)
So sadly you're not getting the full album show. I'm like you in Montreal :(

festivals wont get the full albums sadly

reason is probably to boost their own shows ticket sales ..

They’re not playing the full albums at festivals, not because they don’t have time but because festival audiences are too broad to play those deep cuts for. It makes sense to have a more “greatest hits” setlist in that environment.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

They’re not playing the full albums at festivals, not because they don’t have time but because festival audiences are too broad to play those deep cuts for. It makes sense to have a more “greatest hits” setlist in that environment.

I mean, they played Dookie in full at Reading Festival a few years ago, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t now.

Also, as I said, the organization of the Madrid ‘festival’ (it’s not really a festival, but an event created around Green Day and their opening bands that shares the same organizers and venue as a festival that will take place a month later) sent an email saying that the band would play both records. Has this been done by any other festival in the tour?

G6rlbnzpXKcT.jpg?o=1

I know there’s a possibility that they were only using the band’s announcement to boost promotion, but I want to think they would not risk saying something that could be considered false advertising. I mean, their email literally says ‘what will Green Day play at Road to Rio Babel? ‘Dookie and American Idiot IN F-U-L-L’. There is no ambiguity there.

Yes, I know, this is me trying to be optimistic but I believe there are enough signs that this may happen. That and the ‘trying to boost their own shows tickets’ makes zero sense and would honestly even be mean spirited when there are so many countries that only have festival dates, as if they can choose between a festival or their own show. What would they want, for people to travel to a different country? 

11 minutes ago, pucky said:

Yes, I know, this is me trying to be optimistic but I believe there are enough signs that this may happen. That and the ‘trying to boost their own shows tickets’ makes zero sense and would honestly even be mean spirited when there are so many countries that only have festival dates, as if they can choose between a festival or their own show. What would they want, for people to travel to a different country? 

Again I'm gonna use Montreal as an example. 
We did receive an email saying Green Day were gonna played Dookie and AI in full. But a week later the festival confirmed it wasn't going to happen.

Maybe Dookie in full? American Idiot in full? But not both.

• Like 1

There might be issues in terms of stage/show production. Maybe set timing as well if the album shows end up being close to 3 hours. They might want to take some breaks from the longer sets of those dates. They might think the audience is different at festivals and want a more standard setlist. Probably a mix of all of this. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

We did receive an email saying Green Day were gonna played Dookie and AI in full. But a week later the festival confirmed it wasn't going to happen.

Okay now my hopes are almost ruined.

The only 1% hope I have is that, as I said, the Madrid date isn not really a festival, and the band add the asterisk because they didn’t check that it’s not (Road to Rio Babel) Festival, but actually Road to (Rio Babel Festival). So, it’s not a festival, but a warm up event to a festival.

I hope that they play Whatsername at least, that’s all I want since I already saw them play Dookie in full at a small venue before the pandemic.

I mean, album or non-album, all these dates fall under the Anniversary tour, and playing the same old 5 singles they’ve been playing for 20 years would be too lame, especially since it’s not the fans’ fault that they chose a festival instead of a private show for like 60% of their European tour…

Edit: let’s put my hopes at 5%. The Madrid event has been asked several times in social media about the contradiction between their email and the infamous asterisk and they keep insisting that Green Day will perform their full show. It’s not much because I admit it’s not the most specific answer in the world, but they’re not ignoring the questions either so it’s good enough for me right now.

After all, last time they were in Madrid they played Dookie in full plus 12 additional songs and the show was only 1.5h long. They can perfectly fit both albums plus some singles in 2.5h, so time should not be an issue.

only 4 months left to find out I guess…

22 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Did you mean the green day instagram  post where they labelled Osheaga as a non album show? or did the festival confirm it too? Thanks!