15 - Fancy Sauce - Song Discussion

Liam

On 1/19/2024 at 2:10 AM, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

Fucking hell, I keep getting chills every time this song starts. This is such a beautiful track, and can I dare say the best album closer in their discography? 

Ya know, when I first read this I was like “WHOAAAAA! Nobody disrespects Whatsername like that and gets away with it!!” (heehee), but now after many, many, many listens, and days of it being on repeat……I can now say “Yeah…..I totally get it”.  
Holy shit this song is fucking amazing!!!! 

• Like 2

I've given this enough plays at this point, but I really don't like this song and as a stand-alone track it just falls flat. It's a good album closer, but nothing else. Lyrics make (mostly) no goddamn sense and verse 2 is definitely some of the worst verses Billie Joe has ever written.

Even when I don't like this song, I have to appreciate how good Mike's bassline is after first chorus. It's great.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 12:01 PM, bastard of young said:

All this talk about album closers, and no love to See the Light? Blasphemous! 

This was a great song, but man is it depressing. Comparing it to the high of the start of the album, it's kinda jarring. 

What's really blasphemous is no one mentioning Macy's Day Parade as the best album closer either.

Love Fancy Sauce as well. My mom was in the car the other day and she laughed at the lyrics at the beginning, but in an enjoyable way. Definitely one of my favorites on the album (but they really all are).

• Like 1

I love this track,  i fell in love with it when the teaser was dropped.  Very depressing though. I want to erase my memory and listen to the album again 

• Like 3

This is becoming my favourite song, it's so powerful while also being whimsical and is just amazing. Love the Nirvana quote

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

This is becoming my favourite song, it's so powerful while also being whimsical and is just amazing. Love the Nirvana quote

Which lyric is a Nirvana quote?  The flowers in bloom part?

37 minutes ago, Robbie1039 said:

Which lyric is a Nirvana quote?  The flowers in bloom part?

Possibly stupid and contagious, from Smells Like Teen Spirit. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MillenniumFan said:

Possibly stupid and contagious, from Smells Like Teen Spirit. 

Of course it’s from their MOST POPULAR SONG.  It went right over my head!  Thanks 👍

• Like 3

One thing I love about this song is the rhyme scheme of the chorus. If he wanted to sing it that way it could be a hip hop song

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

One thing I love about this song is the rhyme scheme of the chorus. If he wanted to sing it that way it could be a hip hop song

Yes I love it! The wacky rhyming in the verses is great too. I'm obsessed with the rhyming lol

• Like 3

On 1/28/2024 at 4:48 PM, ekim said:

Still think the song should've had a bridge 

Billie nuked the bridge he burned 2000 times before.  This time he blasted it all to hell. I'm not crazy, you're the one that's crazy.  😉

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone noticed the chorus melody is lifted directly from one of Bruno Mars early song Today My Life Begins? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Anyone noticed the chorus melody is lifted directly from one of Bruno Mars early song Today My Life Begins? 

It’s pretty similar but that’s it.  It’s not the same melody exactly.  Cool find though.  I never heard that song before. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I'm thinking the line "we all die young some day" is like everybody, no matter who they are, rich or poor, famous or not, grows up with hopes and dreams but as we get older realise that some of those hopes and dreams will never come to fruition and a little bit of us dies with each or any of them over time

Would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on that

Agree! I think because we all still have things we hope to do however old we are when we die it's as if we die young

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I'm thinking the line "we all die young some day" is like everybody, no matter who they are, rich or poor, famous or not, grows up with hopes and dreams but as we get older realise that some of those hopes and dreams will never come to fruition and a little bit of us dies with each or any of them over time

Would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on that

I agree also with the other takes but when I first heard "We all die young some day" to me it seems like when you are depressed you can't realize your dreams because you're not capable of living in a way you could be.  Especially the line, "We all die young and watch it slip away", because when you're depressed you're watching life is going by and even though you want to participate in it, you just can't or do anything about it and it is slipping away.  Some of his most very raw sad lyrics to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vintage Disciple said:

I agree also with the other takes but when I first heard "We all die young some day" to me it seems like when you are depressed you can't realize your dreams because you're not capable of living in a way you could be.  Especially the line, "We all die young and watch it slip away", because when you're depressed you're watching life is going by and even though you want to participate in it, you just can't or do anything about it and it is slipping away.  Some of his most very raw sad lyrics to me.

It absolutely could be that too. I hadn't thought of it that way 

• Like 2

This song is shaping out to be one of the best from the album.

However I kinda wish that Billie didn't play the Ghost guitar at the end cus I can barely hear the guitar solo without earphones. They could've made the solo louder but thats just my opinion. 

On 2/5/2024 at 11:51 AM, Hermione said:

I'm deeply in love with this song :wub:. It's a top 5 Green Day song to me

When I first saw the title I thought it was going to be a Tre song

• Haha 1