Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

In the natural order of things, Saviors has slipped out of my rotation.   I don't skip automatically if a song pops up on shuffle, but it'll be a while before I listen to it front to back again.     Listening to other artists and albums, and right now I'm revisiting No Doubt because it's been a minute.     

• Like 1

My top 3 is still the same.

1. Corvette Summer
2. Dilemma
3. The American Dream Is Killing Me

Look Ma, No Brains is harmless. Bobby Sox is a fucking hit. 1981 is a banger. I don't hate Coma City anymore, but I find it uninspiring. Father to a Son is a total dud. Suzie Chapstick is still the worst song in the album. Goodnight Adeline is pretty okay. One Eyed Bastard is just not great. Strange Days Are Here to Stay is okay, so is Saviors. Fancy Sauce lyrics are still too much to handle. Living in the '20s is awesome.

All in all great album, best since Trilogy, but it doesn't beat any of the Trilogy albums. One hundred times better than FOAM and one thousand times better than dumbster fire of Revolution Radio.

16 hours ago, That Dude said:

In the natural order of things, Saviors has slipped out of my rotation.   I don't skip automatically if a song pops up on shuffle, but it'll be a while before I listen to it front to back again.     Listening to other artists and albums, and right now I'm revisiting No Doubt because it's been a minute.     

Haven't played this album in a month. Haven't played a Saviors song in 3 weeks.
I'm on Heaven :x: Hell right now and still listening to the new Blink album.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Saviors is way better than Heaven :x: Hell or One More Time imo. Those albums have their strong moments but aren't great as a whole. Saviors isn't a daily listen for me and hasn't been since like those first couple weeks but I'm still listening to it regularly. It's not my favourite rock album to come out in the last year or so. I prefer Paramore's This Is Why, and I only heard Foo Fighter's new album But Here We Are for the first time a couple months ago but I'm listening to that album regularly too. The last act of that album hits hard

3 hours ago, Miko said:

1. Corvette Summer
2. Dilemma

Look Ma, No Brains is harmless. Bobby Sox is a fucking hit. 1981 is a banger. I don't hate Coma City anymore, but I find it uninspiring. Father to a Son is a total dud. Suzie Chapstick is still the worst song in the album. Goodnight Adeline is pretty okay. One Eyed Bastard is just not great. Strange Days Are Here to Stay is okay, so is Saviors. Fancy Sauce lyrics are still too much to handle. Living in the '20s is awesome.

All in all great album, best since Trilogy, but it doesn't beat any of the Trilogy albums. One hundred times better than FOAM and one thousand times better than dumbster fire of Revolution Radio.

Coma City is my favourite track, idk what's "uninspiring" about it. OEB is the weakest track on the album imo and really comes across as the "uninspired" song of the album

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miko said:

1. Corvette Summer
2. Dilemma

I've always thought that the ones you said were "okay" or "uninspiring" were really good. 😄.  I've never really understood the hatred for Father to a Son. I think it is still atleast a 6/10. I know that was just your opinion, but I want to share mine as well. 🙂.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Coma City is my favourite track, idk what's "uninspiring" about it. OEB is the weakest track on the album imo and really comes across as the "uninspired" song of the album.

As I've said in the past, Coma City doesn't have its own identity and is just a mixture of other Green Day songs. Taking elements or one riff isn't the problem if at the end of the day song finds its own footing (think about how Strange Days rips off Basket Case but never actually sounds like Basket Case or how Living in the '20s is Horseshoes & Handgrenades 2.0 but once again sounds totally different despite having same aggressive style.. or Stab You In the Heart being Fuck Time 2.0 but being better on every aspect) but Coma City never becomes truly its own. It's harmless, but definitely uninspiring excluding outro fills.

As for One Eyed Bastard, lyrics are definitely the weakest part and chorus could've been so much better but I really like the bridge in the song. Green Day should bust out more often those kind of instrumental breaks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miko said:

As I've said in the past, Coma City doesn't have its own identity and is just a mixture of other Green Day songs. Taking elements or one riff isn't the problem if at the end of the day song finds its own footing (think about how Strange Days rips off Basket Case but never actually sounds like Basket Case or how Living in the '20s is Horseshoes & Handgrenades 2.0 but once again sounds totally different despite having same aggressive style.. or Stab You In the Heart being Fuck Time 2.0 but being better on every aspect) but Coma City never becomes truly its own. It's harmless, but definitely uninspiring excluding outro fills.

As for One Eyed Bastard, lyrics are definitely the weakest part and chorus could've been so much better but I really like the bridge in the song. Green Day should bust out more often those kind of instrumental breaks.

I mean, to me Living in the 20s sounds much more like a copy than Coma City does but that's just my opinion. I still consider both of those tracks favourites off of Saviors

• Like 1

Let's not get into a fight now 😄. Everyone has their own opinions and we should respect them even if you don't agree. Everyone has their own taste in what they like and what they don't. If I sounded mean in my response, I am sorry. I don't want to be hypocritical 😅. The quotes (") weren't being sarcastic. 

6 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Heaven :X: Hell has definitely taken over a lot of my listening time.  Blink needs to GET READY FOR ACTION too, I'm about to give that album another go.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenDayJunkie86 said:

Let's not get into a fight now 😄. Everyone has their own opinions and we should respect them even if you don't agree. Everyone has their own taste in what they like and what they don't. If I sounded mean in my response, I am sorry. I don't want to be hypocritical 😅. The quotes (") weren't being sarcastic. 

No one is fighting, different opinions are important so conversations are engaging. I don't feel like my opinions are disrespected and I don't believe Christian's Inferno! feels that either.

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I mean, to me Living in the 20s sounds much more like a copy than Coma City does but that's just my opinion. I still consider both of those tracks favourites off of Saviors

Atleast we can agree on Living in the '20s being a fucking banger. Holy hell that song is GOOD.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Miko said:

No one is fighting, different opinions are important so conversations are engaging. I don't feel like my opinions are disrespected and I don't believe Christian's Inferno! feels that either.

Atleast we can agree on Living in the '20s being a fucking banger. Holy hell that song is GOOD.

I know no one was fighting *yet*. I could see one about to get started though. I love seeing different opinions and a conversation over it.

On 4/16/2024 at 12:20 PM, Miko said:

and one thousand times better than dumbster fire of Revolution Radio.

Naaaah

24 minutes ago, Vladonutyj said:

Naaaah

Important context is that I consider RR as their worst album.

• Surprised 1

31 minutes ago, Miko said:

Cringe

1 hour ago, Miko said:

in what context? like structurally or are the songs bad too to you?

I think the real sign that Saviors is a great album is it has been out for 3 months and everyone still has different favorites and least favorites. Really has something for everyone on it. The last time I remember something like this was 21CB. Every album from that seems to have a majority consensus on favorites. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Vladonutyj said:

Cringe

Different opinions are different. There's nothing cringe with that :)

7 hours ago, Flynn said:

in what context? like structurally or are the songs bad too to you?

Biggest problem with RR is the production. Quiet parts are too quiet and loud parts are too loud. Songs like Bang Bang and Outlaws suffer heavily from this, but when Forever Now gets more epic and adds more guitars, it also suffers from this and becomes a mess that is impossible to listen and enjoy. I'm not a fan of lyrics on any songs, although line ''fuck you i'm from oakland'' is kinda funny. It was also too serious and and too real album for my taste, if Saviors was nothing but heavy tracks like Dilemma, I wouldn't enjoy it. Albums need to have dumb fun songs (that also hopefully sounds as good as Corvette Summer), but if those tracks are missing or those tracks are just not great songs (Youngblood), album isn't great. Lastly, RR was seen as ''return to form'' which I disagree the most with and I saw it as taking a step back after Trilogy. It didn't feel like natural evolution (except on lyrics I suppose) musically, but rather fan service with thought of ''ye we fucked up with trilogy so heres an album that is closer to american idiot/21st century breakdown sound''.

Aaand that's enough of RR discussion in this thread from my end.

• Like 2

Shocked it’s been so quiet. No new single. No marketing. Just small shows here and there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

Shocked it’s been so quiet. No new single. No marketing. Just small shows here and there.

Maybe they are recording album 15 😄.

• Haha 3

One thing that's bothering me is that they played both Dookie and AI in one show just a couple of days ago, and yet there's hardly anyone talking about it on GDC. It's so  silent on here.
Guys, it's Dookie. And AI. At the same time. In one show. Fuck. 🤠

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, billy1986 said:

Could you imagine if they played insomniac and Nimrod front to back? 

That would be awesome. Gotta wait next year for the anniversary though!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’d sell my soul for a ticket to see Insomniac & Nimrod played in full…so many unplayed jams. 

• Like 1