Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

On 3/19/2024 at 9:25 PM, dudley dawson said:

Just confirming we’re all in agreement Saviors >>> 21stCB?

Both great albums. No skips on either for me. They put a lot of work into 21CB. Lyrics have so much feeling in 21CB. Saviors is not "better", however. 

16 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green-day/2024/house-of-blues-anaheim-ca-5baa1f44.html

Interesting how they chose to open Saviors with Saviors as it’s the 14th track on the album

The fact that She's a Rebel and Extraordinary Girl haven't been played since 2010 (haven't played full band since 2005) is a crime. 

• Like 3

I think Saviors would be a killer opening song as well as a killer closing song during the tour. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GreenDayJunkie86 said:

The fact that She's a Rebel and Extraordinary Girl haven't been played since 2010 (haven't played full band since 2005) is a crime. 

Give me Novocaine too!!!

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

19 minutes ago, ThranaM said:

I think Saviors would be a killer opening song as well as a killer closing song during the tour. 

I agree!

• Like 1

So who was the fill-in Freese guy last night?   

17 minutes ago, jengd said:

Saviors and Fancy Sauce deserve more love.

I know right! It is kind of shocking since Saviors is the title song. I absolutely love Fancy Sauce. 

• Love 1

Why do we think they started their performance of Saviors with the title track? My conspiracy theory is that it may be the way they intended the album to be structured, but Crush is insistent on having all of the singles upfront on an album. I can't think of one Crush release that doesn't do this. I love the way it's structured personally, but the performance made me scratch my head a bit.

2 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Why do we think they started their performance of Saviors with the title track? My conspiracy theory is that it may be the way they intended the album to be structured, but Crush is insistent on having all of the singles upfront on an album. I can't think of one Crush release that doesn't do this. I love the way it's structured personally, but the performance made me scratch my head a bit.

They told in more than one interview that Saviors was supposed to be the opener track on the album, until they decided to bring American Dream to the album

13 minutes ago, Alf said:

They told in more than one interview that Saviors was supposed to be the opener track on the album, until they decided to bring American Dream to the album

I vaguely remember reading that. I guess the question then is - did American Dream knock Saviors off the opening spot because it was a better opener? Or a better single? Playing it live this way just makes me think the band views the title track as the proper opener.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

I vaguely remember reading that. I guess the question then is - did American Dream knock Saviors off the opening spot because it was a better opener? Or a better single? Playing it live this way just makes me think the band views the title track as the proper opener.

They may have thought having American Idiot/American Dream back to back sounded too similar, but then that begs the question of why open with American Idiot.  As for the front loaded singles, I don't think that's Crush, I think that's the reality of streaming and the way these songs get uploaded and played now.  They may have had to bend to that, but otherwise might have preferred Saviors as an opener, it just wasn't a single as past title tracks have been.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They may have thought having American Idiot/American Dream back to back sounded too similar, but then that begs the question of why open with American Idiot.  As for the front loaded singles, I don't think that's Crush, I think that's the reality of streaming and the way these songs get uploaded and played now.  They may have had to bend to that, but otherwise might have preferred Saviors as an opener, it just wasn't a single as past title tracks have been.

Yeah I mean, they're Green Day, so I really do believe they're big enough to have final say in their tracklisting. It's just a shame that the streaming game being what it is could prevent having a perfect opener like Somewhere Now on an album again. As it stands though, I do really like American Dream as the opener, and think it probably is a better one than the title track. Just interesting they chose to change the order live.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2024 at 12:15 AM, Flashback said:

I'm sorry but no. Lyrically nothing compares to 21CB. You can hear the blood, sweat and tears they put in it in every single line.

Sonically Saviors is soooo much better though.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:09 PM, billy1986 said:

Love Saviors but 21st Century is better 

Agree to disagree 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

https://rockcelebrities.net/billie-joe-armstrong-on-his-decision-not-to-end-green-day/?fbclid=IwAR0wQ1zqPMKQORm2UCipSWsLRFNM5rfPuNUa3AWNg9jEnuxlq7uf3x5Dkn0

He says they will play Dookie, Idiot, plenty of Saviors songs AND songs from other albums....how?   They could possibly play partial songs, because even then, Billie's not gonna be able to Eh Oh like he wants.  Maybe just once or twice, lol.  

45 songs and 3 hours?  3 eh ohs?  Or maybe just 21 Guns and Good Riddance after the two albums.   

Could be 27 songs plus 10 hits maybe.

• Like 2

Will Green Day ever go back and play old songs they've never played live before?   Could that happen on the Saviors tour?    That would be a cool feature - Dookie, Idiot, Saviors, Hits, and at each show, one song that's never been played live before.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Sonically Saviors is soooo much better though.

I would say that the instrumental parts are better on Saviors because they got more complex and creative over the years. But personally I prefer the production of 21CB.

Saviors as an opener would be the same as when they opened with 99 Revolutions 

• Like 2