Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

16 minutes ago, ThranaM said:

Yep, got a refund, but it really sucked.
The only upside to this is that FOAM a pretty forgetable album, so the loss ain't that big imo. Still, it's a shame.

Yeah, I've also heard that story, but in my case they told they literally forgot to order the vinyls and cd's, unless they're lying 😁
Really sucked that I had such a bad experience this time as well.. 

Ugh how do you forget to order one of the most anticipated albums of the year? 🤦‍♀️ That sucks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If you're will ferrell in secret, I might think of you as a touring musician who only plays east jesus nowhere and corvette summer

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

GREEN DUDES SUPERSIZED SAVIORS SPECIAL! For those who want to hear me talk about the album for 4.5 hours 🤭

https://redcircle.com/shows/837a696b-9c63-4c80-a051-8efa31bda841/ep/5a978a2a-c52e-455d-bc72-584b166c53ca

Didn’t want to break that up into separate parts/episodes?  I’ll probably take a week or more to get through this

• Like 1

Am I losing it, or are there no mentions of yoga retreats or dating apps on this album? Those were two specific callouts in the initial description that I haven’t noticed in any song. Everything else they described seems to be included.

• Like 2

I like every song, but I can see time not being very kind to songs like Goodnight Adeline, Suzie Chapstick, Father to a Son, Fancy Sauce, 1981, Saviors, and Corvette Summer. Most of them at least have good lyrics, but I’m already pretty tired of those 6 songs. Bobby Sox grew on me and is underrated. The singles hold up pretty well. Always have liked listening to Living in the 20’s, Strange days are here to stay, and Coma City as well. So, my guess is over time it will be thought of in quality as a little better than Rev Rad but not as good as 21 CB. Hard to have the same connection to it as AI, Dookie, Nimrod, Kerplunk, and 21 CB. I do think it’s a better than every other album though. So, still welcome addition to their catalog. 

13 minutes ago, KGLWW said:

I like every song, but I can see time not being very kind to songs like Goodnight Adeline, Suzie Chapstick, Father to a Son, Fancy Sauce, 1981, Saviors, and Corvette Summer. Most of them at least have good lyrics, but I’m already pretty tired of those 6 songs. Bobby Sox grew on me and is underrated. The singles hold up pretty well. Always have liked listening to Living in the 20’s, Strange days are here to stay, and Coma City as well. So, my guess is over time it will be thought of in quality as a little better than Rev Rad but not as good as 21 CB. Hard to have the same connection to it as AI, Dookie, Nimrod, Kerplunk, and 21 CB. I do think it’s a better than every other album though. So, still welcome addition to their catalog. 

Idk if it's just me who finds the singles to be some of the weaker songs. OEB is probably the weakest song on the album imo and I don't really care for Suzie Chapstick either, that's the only non-single track that I'm not really enjoying that much. Outside of those two tracks, I'd say Look Ma No Brains & TADIKM I do like quite a lot but suffer from their own issues too. Dilemma is a good track but I don't think I like it as much as most people who consider it to be the best song on the album (if not the best song since AI in some cases). My favourite tracks are non-singles.

Coma City & Living in the 20s are probably my favourites. 1981 isn't far behind. Corvette Summer is another banger. Father to a Son is the best ballad on the album. And then Bobby Sox, Saviors, Fancy Sauce, Strange Days Are Here To Stay and Goodnight Adeline are the other songs that I enjoy but are clearly just album tracks. Not tracks that I would usually choose to listen to on their own but are great in the full context of the album.

24 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

Am I losing it, or are there no mentions of yoga retreats or dating apps on this album? Those were two specific callouts in the initial description that I haven’t noticed in any song. Everything else they described seems to be included.

My theory is that “gonna join a cult, do a somersault” and the line about the robot in living in the 20s could fall into those categories but it’s a major reach. I was wondering the same thing 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stories and songs said:

I so thoroughly enjoyed your entire review of the album, but thought this part was very sweet and just had to tell you. 

---

I've been listening to this album on repeat all weekend and this is my rating breakdown at the moment. Ranking them 1–15 would be nearly impossible. This album has too many bangers to do that.

1. TADIKM (9/10): I absolutely love the guitars in this song. It's dance-y in some way, even though it goes pretty hard. The teaser for this is what made me go, "Oh, Green Day might be BACK BACK" and so I have a special fondness for it for that reason. 

2. Look Ma, No Brains (8/10): This one took me a while to warm up to. When I heard it in the car for the first time, I finally came aboard because this song has ENERGY that is absolutely unreal throughout the chorus. The structure of the song is interesting too, with the chorus not popping up until more than halfway through. Great bridge, too. Love the "don't panic, don't panic, don't go, don't go" backing vocals. Mike's performance is also a highlight here. It seems awesome live!

3. Bobby Sox (9/10): This song is so cute and feels like a hug. Billie's vocals here are outstanding throughout, and his yelling parts are really well done. It's also just extremely badass to me that it's inclusive with the girlfriend/boyfriend switching. Unfortunately, today that still feels pretty radical to include in a rock song. 

4. One Eyed Bastard (8.5/10): This song so fun. It reminds me a lot of Say Goodbye, and I love Say Goodbye. Billie's vocals are also awesome on this song (sorry, I'm gonna say this a lot). I love how heavy it is.

5. Dilemma (10/10): I think I've already word vomited about this song all over this board plenty. :lol: The TL;DR is that it means a lot to me that it exists, that it's as blisteringly honest as it is, and that it was shared with us. I love that the last note of the intro sounds a bit off, and how the guitar solo in the bridge gets increasingly frantic and urgent, representing someone spiraling out of control. Billie's "I don't wanna be a dead man walkING" lines are an actual out-of-body experience every single listen. This song hasn't lost one bit of its emotion or intensity for me even though I've replayed it tons of times.

6. 1981 (7.5/10): This one isn't quite as memorable to me as the other upbeat songs (but it's growing on me — it has 8.5 potential lol), but I really like the Cold War theming. "If this is not a test, we got one foot in the grave" is a great line, and I also love how the entire sound of the song turns a bit sinister at the "pain, commies and cocaine" part. 

7. Goodnight Adeline (10/10): This song made an immediate, huge impression on me. Love the guitar solo in this song, love that huge chorus ("SOONER OR LATER WHATEVER WHENEVER" is so good and is sung so passionately, I'm already yelling it along with him). "I'll see you later when I get my shit together" is one of my favorite lines on the album. 

8. Coma City (10/10): This feels like a big, 21CB type of song and I love it so much. Their musical chemistry in this song is so enthralling — they're really firing on all cylinders together (;)) on this song and you absolutely can hear it. That outro kicks ass and Tre's drumming really shines here. Also, the "assholes in space" line delights me.

9. Corvette Summer (9/10): I could resist loving this song, but why? It's such a blast and I can't sit still listening to it. I enjoy me some southern rock from time to time and this hits the spot. "Hit me with power chords before you lay me dead" and "Take me to urgent care or the record store" are such fantastic lines. The cowbell makes me happy. It works so well as an ode to rock 'n' roll.

10. Suzie Chapstick (9.5/10): This one really resonates with me. I like slower Green Day most of the time and this one hits so hard. Beautiful, relatable lyrics and it really just evokes a specific feeling of yearning for someone you wish was still in your life, and maybe it's your own fault they're not. It very specifically sounds like being in a black cab in London on a rainy day.

11. Strange Days Are Here to Stay (10/10): It's the return of The Blob! This is another one where the band's musical chemistry is just so apparent. It feels like a classic Green Day song, but evolved. I feel like Billie was extremely specific in his political and social references in American Idiot, and since then, he has slowly been getting more vague in his commentary (which isn't always a bad thing — Troubled Times is vague and I adore that song). But his lyrics are so pointed on this album and that's one of my favorite aspects of the entire thing. This is one great example of it — love the references to Bowie, 3D-printed firearms, the cultural obsession of superheroes (which is quite bleak given the real world needs saving), and "Are we in hell or is this fantasy? I can't see this ending well, now that it's too late." It paints a very accurate picture of how half of us seem to acknowledge we're living in apocalyptic times while the other half carries on without a care.

12. Living in the '20s (10/10): This song SLAPS. From the second they dropped this teaser on Instagram, I was in love with this song. The pronunciation of "TWEN-TIES" sounds awesome (underrated pronunciations: Listen, the way he growls "fucking" is just phenomenal here. It had to be said. Also huge shoutout to how he similarly growls "batteries" because I am obsessed with how he sings it). I love darker, heavier Green Day sooooo much. This is another example of really specific lyrics about the present times and it's great. 

13. Father to a Son (8/10): This one is growing on me, but it didn't immediately click. It gets a lot of comparisons to WMUWSE and now that I think about it, as beautiful as WMUWSE is, it's not necessarily a personal favorite or one I go out of my way to listen to it, so maybe that's part of why I don't feel super strongly. I do think the string arrangement here is gorgeous and, mixed with the guitars in the second half, the song really soars by the end. The beautiful instrumentals sound like the type of music that should play at the climax of a coming-of-age indie movie. 

14. Saviors (8.5/10): I love the vocal filters on this song; it very appropriately sounds like he's using megaphone. I like the line "I gotta chuckle, what a dumb way to die/Everything coming up roses" and I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Everyone's asleep but nobody's dreaming/we got all the fiction that's worth believing." 

15. Fancy Sauce (10/10): Is this the catchiest slow song ever written? It somehow is so dark and depressing and uplifting at the same time that we're all in "the looney bin" together for one reason or another. "Watch the evening news 'cause it's my favorite cartoon" — like seriously, what an absurdly talented lyricist Billie is, jesus. I also love the Nirvana reference in here. I think this album is probably filled with other musical references I haven't caught yet. Another banging outro and the perfect way to end the album. 

This comes out to a 9.1 average. But tbh, this album overall is a 10 in my heart. I am so impressed and so grateful and so happy.

They should post the Instagram line on Instagram if they haven't.   And the tiktok line on tiktok. And...play random shows at yoga retreats....and play for oligarchs, etc.  Oh and give away free weed.  😄 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Didn’t want to break that up into separate parts/episodes?  I’ll probably take a week or more to get through this

Yeah we probably should have done that lol. We didn’t expect to go this long! Now with the album promo winding down I’m happy to get back to just one, normal length episode per week!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

Every song is about yoga retreats. 
The american dream is about america forcing you to not do them
Look ma is about dropping out for yoga
Bobby sox is about finding a lover during yoga retreats
One eyed bastard is getting angry at a yoga retreat
Dilemma is chugging beer at one
1981 is thinking about a girl at one
Goodnight adeline is about weeping at one
Coma city is about being ashamed of your city at one
Corvette summer is about buying records in the middle of one
Susie chapstick is about yearning for a girl at one
Strange days are here to stay is about the yoga retreats being strange
Living in the 20s is about living in the 20s while doing them
Father to a son is about remembering your son at one
Saviors is asking to save the world at one
and Fancy sauce is about realizing most people die young... at yoga retreats

• Haha 4

Yeah and bobby sox is about meeting the lover at a dating app during a yoga retreat.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Idk if it's just me who finds the singles to be some of the weaker songs. OEB is probably the weakest song on the album imo and I don't really care for Suzie Chapstick either, that's the only non-single track that I'm not really enjoying that much. Outside of those two tracks, I'd say Look Ma No Brains & TADIKM I do like quite a lot but suffer from their own issues too. Dilemma is a good track but I don't think I like it as much as most people who consider it to be the best song on the album (if not the best song since AI in some cases). My favourite tracks are non-singles.

Coma City & Living in the 20s are probably my favourites. 1981 isn't far behind. Corvette Summer is another banger. Father to a Son is the best ballad on the album. And then Bobby Sox, Saviors, Fancy Sauce, Strange Days Are Here To Stay and Goodnight Adeline are the other songs that I enjoy but are clearly just album tracks. Not tracks that I would usually choose to listen to on their own but are great in the full context of the album.

Goes to show how opinions can vary wildly. It's fascinating that we have such polar opposite views on the album, though we do agree that OEB is one of the weaker tracks. Personally, I find Coma City, Living in the 20s, and 1981 to be just "okay-ish," and I'll likely only listen to them when I play the entire album.

All the others are either absolute bangers or resonate with me on an emotional level. Suzie Chapstick is simply gorgeous. It's the one I've been playing most often, along with Bobby Sox. And yeah, Dilemma is the GOAT 😛

• Like 1

Love how different peoples' opinions of this album are. When I am limited on time, my automatic "skips" are Bobby Sox, Dilemma, Suzie Chapstick, and Father to a Son. By far, in my opinion, the weakest songs on the album in terms of making me feel anything. Corvette Summer, Coma City, 20s, and Strange Days will not get out of my head and I fucking LOVE them. 

• Like 1

The album sales number is crazy to me because I know Kerplunk sold 10,000 in its FIRST DAY (and probably would have sold more if they printed more!), and that was when they were on an indie label! So to only have 4x that amount now that they’re a worldwide famous band is just so crazy. 

• Like 2
  • Surprised 1

That song is 1972% gonna be on album 15

31 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The album sales number is crazy to me because I know Kerplunk sold 10,000 in its FIRST DAY (and probably would have sold more if they printed more!), and that was when they were on an indie label! So to only have 4x that amount now that they’re a worldwide famous band is just so crazy. 

Yeah because at a time where you could only buy a material version of it to be able to listen to it is comparable to modern times 😂 

i wonder if those 10.000 people who bought kerplunk listened to it in two days 8.000.000 times lol 

5 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Am I crazy or the board that Rob Cavallo have in his hand with the tracklist have a song ending by Fritz?

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2aT96VrXHY/?igsh=amR6ODFta3NxZzl1

I was thinking exactly the same, I’m assuming that this one was taken when they hadn’t recorded TADIK and father to a son so I wonder what other songs would be on that board