Green Day to headline EA Sports Superbowl Party Feb 9 in Las Vegas

pacejunkie punk

They considered on playing One Eyed Bastard and didn't? Awh, that's a shame. They played it once, give it another performance is all I wish. Or 2 performances.

• Like 1

Terrible setlist. I hope the type of repetitive and short setlists that were the default for the Hella Mega tour don’t become the norm.

Green Day has always had a good balance of rotating songs and including 3-4 deep cuts or surprises while also playing most or all of the classic songs expected but this… this is mediocre. 

Agreed. For fucks sake they didn't play any Saviors other than 1981 in current records. The set apparently had 5 more songs according to cumming_clean94 on setlist.fm, but the current record is looking real bleak.

And by record I mean the found songs in the set.

• Like 1

One should not stress about what Green Day is playing on a venue that is not full of their audience. There's zero percent chance that this Hella Mega setlist is the norm once Saviors Tours kickstarts.

• Like 4

Honestly what I'm saying is that the current songs identified just look sort of bleak because there's one Saviors song and it's not any of the singles. Like, there's 5 or so more songs they might have played. One TADIKM, one Look Ma, one eye and one dilemma is all I wish.

They already told us to play AI and Dookie front to back + songs from saviors and old classics. Maybe they‘ll play HM Sets for Festival Shows but they won‘t play these setlists at their own shows

• Like 3

I see. If they ever do a warmup club show for the tour like Cain's Ballroom 2021 there is a huge chance we get our deeper cuts. 

I hope this won’t be the setlist for the festival shows. I know they’re not playing AI and Dookie in full, but I really want to hear some Saviors songs.

• Like 2

I totally understand that they play a Best-Of playlist when doing these shows but playling just one song from after 2010 feels somehow wrong. I mean they released 5 albums (more than 1/3 of their whole discography!) since then and at Least Oh Love or Bang Bang did commercially quite well. It wouldn't destroy the Best-Of playlist if they included 2-3 songs from the "newer" albums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Flashback said:

I totally understand that they play a Best-Of playlist when doing these shows but playling just one song from after 2010 feels somehow wrong. I mean they released 5 albums (more than 1/3 of their whole discography!) since then and at Least Oh Love or Bang Bang did commercially quite well. It wouldn't destroy the Best-Of playlist if they included 2-3 songs from the "newer" albums.

As you get older it is harder to get out of your comfort zone. They are too dependent on audience's reaction and it's clear that they are afraid of giving a dull concert to a random crowd.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I hope this won’t be the setlist for the festival shows. I know they’re not playing AI and Dookie in full, but I really want to hear some Saviors songs.

I still have faith in both albums playing in certain festivals, and only time can prove me wrong. My theory? They probably wrote the ‘non-album show’ disclaimer because they know different festivals can have specific conditions or restrictions outside of their control. But if a festival doesn’t have those, they can perfectly play both albums.

The way I see it, they probably will have 2 setlists ready for the tour, the 2.30h, albums one and a shorter 1.30-1.45h one for specific festivals or short dates (each one with some wiggle room to rotate singles or saviors songs).

If the date approaches and a festival tells them ‘you have your whole set, the stage is yours, play what you want’, what makes more sense? For them to say ‘cool, let’s play both albums’, or to still refuse to do that and having to take the short setlist and add more songs randomly until it reaches the 2.30h? 

And sorry but the ‘festival crowd is different’ doesn’t work as an excuse, Green Day has never been the type of band to alter their sets for a festival. I’ve seen them play Chump, Burnout, Forever Now, Pasalacqua, Paper Lanterns, Ordinary World… at a festival.

I mean c’mon, we’re talking that these are not just the most famous albums in the band’s career, but two of the most famous and successful album in rock/punk recent history. Saying that playing those would be anything other than a success for any type of crowd makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warszawa said:

As you get older it is harder to get out of your comfort zone. They are too dependent on audience's reaction and it's clear that they are afraid of giving a dull concert to a random crowd.

Well they weren't afraid to play Pollyanna at a few shows which was far away from the commercial success of Oh Love or Bang Bang. As I said, I think that playing 2 or 3 songs from the last 14 years wouldn't give the audience  a dull concert.

• Like 2

I also hope Dookie and AI will be played in full during Festivals. Imagine we get Dookie and AI as a pro Shot at Rock am Ring at the same show. 
Maybe they wrote „non-album show“ to clarify its a festival and not a solo Show 🤷‍♂️

For Rock am Ring: they waited for the full line up announcement because of Green Day (they announced their tour at the same day).

In 2013 they could play as long as they want (Marek Lieberberg said this in an interview). Maybe they make no difference with playing festival or solo show for the Setlist 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Insomniac90 said:

I also hope Dookie and AI will be played in full during Festivals. Imagine we get Dookie and AI as a pro Shot at Rock am Ring at the same show. 
Maybe they wrote „non-album show“ to clarify its a festival and not a solo Show 🤷‍♂️

For Rock am Ring: they waited for the full line up announcement because of Green Day (they announced their tour at the same day).

In 2013 they could play as long as they want (Marek Lieberberg said this in an interview). Maybe they make no difference with playing festival or solo show for the Setlist 

My guess is they wrote ‘non-album show’ just to cover their backs for festivals that don’t let them do it. I’ve been to Lollapalooza Paris and Headliners only played 1.5h there, so I’m guessing some festivals don’t give headliners their full set, even if most in Europe do.

Based on comments from USA fans It also seems that there are curfews in place that affect schedules for USA festivals which, now that I mention it, sounds like something completely wild to happen in 2024 (my regular festivals can end from 2 am to 5-6 am). The concept of a curfew (outside of the pandemic era) sounds so oppressive and old…

2 hours ago, pucky said:

My guess is they wrote ‘non-album show’ just to cover their backs for festivals that don’t let them do it. I’ve been to Lollapalooza Paris and Headliners only played 1.5h there, so I’m guessing some festivals don’t give headliners their full set, even if most in Europe do.

Based on comments from USA fans It also seems that there are curfews in place that affect schedules for USA festivals which, now that I mention it, sounds like something completely wild to happen in 2024 (my regular festivals can end from 2 am to 5-6 am). The concept of a curfew (outside of the pandemic era) sounds so oppressive and old…

Most of our cities (U.S.) have noise ordinances in place because the stadiums/outdoor venues are in residential areas. 11pm is the typical cutoff time for when they go into effect. It's been that way for decades. Most residents would give much mind if it was only friday/saturday, but since these shows happen mid-week in some area, people have to sleep because of work/school.

If you want Green Day to play certain songs, you can hire them for your own private event.   It'll cost you, but it's an option.   We could pool together our resouces and it wouldn't be that bad.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be totally honest, as someone who has been an audience member for these types of corporate-sponsored shows at conferences and stuff, as well as festival-like shows put on by radio stations — when I see a band I’m only sorta familiar with, I want them to play only their actual biggest hits. Sure, Green Day have had hits and commercial success in the last 10 years. But hits on the same level as the setlist they’ve already put together for shows like this? Personally, no, I don’t think so. Their biggest hits — the ones that *everyone knows* — are covered in the setlist they’ve come up with. If I’m a casual listener, I don’t want to hear a deep cut or a hit that didn’t have longevity so I don’t really remember it. It genuinely does get boring when that happens! It’s a whole lot more fun when recognizable songs keep coming one after the other and energy remains high. I know as fans we have a totally different perspective, but if you think of it from the casual listener perspective, this approach makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

If you want Green Day to play certain songs, you can hire them for your own private event.   It'll cost you, but it's an option.   We could pool together our resouces and it wouldn't be that bad.  

I'd probably just try throwing contracts at Billie's face which will say "Play mf Westbound Sign, Jinx, Haushinka, Reject and Don't Wanna Know if You Are Lonely" a total of 593 times and then we'd play a game of "catch the contract" which if Billie catches it once he plays Westbound Sign, Jinx/Haushinka, Reject and Don't Wanna Know If You Are Lonely and then I'll pay him a whole pack of chocolate chip cookies and my misprinted BBBPP spine for him to sign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pucky said:

Or maybe they could play one of the two albums in full? Dookie and AI are two of the biggest rock albums of the last 30 years, I’m pretty sure even a festival crowd can appreciate this. That would still give them enough time to play some Saviors songs and the standard hits. I totally understand that different crowds call for different setlists, but no one is expecting them to play a set full of rarities. Would I like to hear Bab‘s Uvula Who? Sure, but I know it’s not going to happen. But what about Oh Love, Bang Bang, Still Breathing, Father of All, Stray Heart,…? These were all singles, and some of them were even quite successful. They could play these songs and would still have time for the hit singles. It’s just disheartening that they seem to think so little of their post-AI material. As someone who became a fan in 2009, most of the eras that I experienced are just not represented, which is a shame. I hope Saviors won’t suffer the same fate. It’s such a good album and it deserves the attention. After all, it’s called the Saviors tour, so I hope the new songs will get a worthy treatment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Or maybe they could play one of the two albums in full? Dookie and AI are two of the biggest rock albums of the last 30 years, I’m pretty sure even a festival crowd can appreciate this. That would still give them enough time to play some Saviors songs and the standard hits. I totally understand that different crowds call for different setlists, but no one is expecting them to play a set full of rarities. Would I like to hear Bab‘s Uvula Who? Sure, but I know it’s not going to happen. But what about Oh Love, Bang Bang, Still Breathing, Father of All, Stray Heart,…? These were all singles, and some of them were even quite successful. They could play these songs and would still have time for the hit singles. It’s just disheartening that they seem to think so little of their post-AI material. As someone who became a fan in 2009, most of the eras that I experienced are just not represented, which is a shame. I hope Saviors won’t suffer the same fate. It’s such a good album and it deserves the attention. After all, it’s called the Saviors tour, so I hope the new songs will get a worthy treatment.

They would sell more festival tickets if they played one album one night, the other one the next night.  More people would go to two festivals.

• Like 2