Why does Green day don’t play Many 21st Century Breakdown Songs live anymore?

Schindi_25

The Band doesn‘t Play some 21st Century Breakdown Songs except for 21 Guns or know your Enemy. I‘ve Looked on some setlists and there are Not many in since 21cb Tour.

Maybe I Can understand why they aren’t doing the Album naming Song because it was more like an opening song, wasn‘t it?

While I would love that, let's face it most people don't know that album. It didn't do as well as American Idiot. Your average fan wouldn't know Horseshoes and Handgrenades or American Eulogy, etc.

The album had their best charting to date number 1 in 16-18 countries I believe…won a Grammy for best rock album…nominated for two others….this was a popular album I’d love for them to bring static age/last night on earth/the title track/any songs really the album is amazing and people need to realize this

• Like 3

21CB is a favorite of mine (it’s probably the album I listen to most, actually!), but if they’re going for more known hits, it makes sense that they play more from AI instead. Their catalog is so massive and it’s probably hard to narrow it down. Still, I wish when they pulled out some deeper cuts, they looked to this more frequently. East Jesus Nowhere, Murder City Static Age, American Eulogy — all energetic bangers!

Peacemaker and Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) are my favorites and I’d absolutely LOVE to see them played live.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Restless Heart Syndrome is one of the best pieces of music they have made. 

And 21st was more successful (commercially & critically then Warning/Revrad/Trilogy/FOAM and maybe Nimrod) it went multi platinum Dookie AI and Insomniac (somehow always overlooked) are their top 3 selling albums. 21st tour also was HUGE they played stadiums everywhere so 21st was a success in all aspects. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

in the last couple years they almost completely dodged their recent 6(!) albums ... really weird and i hope they make some significant changes to their setlists

Well to be fair, they had only 2 tours in the last almost 10 years 😅 and during the RevRad tour they played a couple RevRad songs IIRC

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stories and songs said:

21CB is a favorite of mine (it’s probably the album I listen to most, actually!), but if they’re going for more known hits, it makes sense that they play more from AI instead. Their catalog is so massive and it’s probably hard to narrow it down. Still, I wish when they pulled out some deeper cuts, they looked to this more frequently. East Jesus Nowhere, Murder City Static Age, American Eulogy — all energetic bangers!

Peacemaker and Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) are my favorites and I’d absolutely LOVE to see them played live.

I mean... They're NEVER going to play American Eulogy ever again

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Perhaps with an altered lyric? Should Billie have never wrote that?  Could he perhaps approach racism in a more subtle way? 

With Dookie and Idiot already being celebrated nonstop, I'd realistically like to see them celebrate their entire career instead.   And I know they love playing the big songs.  So the hits or singles pulled from all eras and some beloved songs from the lookout days.     The Saints Are Coming would be fun.     Working Class Hero?   Heck, make the covers medley all the covers rolled into one.    Meet Me on the Roof.      

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:11 AM, Flashback said:

I think Billie said in the Amazon audio book that he has a really hard time listening to this album because he was in a bad psychological shape while recording the album. Would make sense to me. But beside that it's my favorite GD album and I also hope that they play more songs of the album at the upcoming tour!

I think this is it - he also mentioned there was a lot of fighting and conflict within the band as they were recording. 

In an attempt to top AI the band pushed themselves a lot with 21st CB. As Billie described it, he felt like someone was holding a gun to his head while recording, but he was also the one holding the gun. 

• Like 2

Or 39/Smooth.   Or warning.  They skip over half their discography, but the Saviors tour might save us from that.     

I wish they would bring back 21st CB, American Eulogy and Viva La Gloria. I'm wondering too - why they don't play off that album anymore. At least they should include 21 Guns to their setlist.  One of the most popular song to be skipped. Really strange.

Well, they always play two of the worst songs of that record, 21 Guns and Know Your Enemy. I remember the 21stCB Tour, they played a lot of songs of that record and deep cuts of the others... Now their set list are only singles.

• Love 1

When was the last they played something other than KYE and GUNS?

since it’s production is especially way over the top on this gem, it might be too hard to pull off live so frequently, especially when the singing is emotionally draining and a lot of the songs have lots of parts to remember without fucking them up!

I would love to hear 21CB, Gloria 1, Lobotomy, Peacemaker, Gloria 2, and Static Age (noticed Billie didn’t even continue singing the higher chorus at the end during Awesome as Fuck performance, prolly sapped as fuck).

15 minutes ago, ricardoverde said:

Well, they always play two of the worst songs of that record, 21 Guns and Know Your Enemy. I remember the 21stCB Tour, they played a lot of songs of that record and deep cuts of the others... Now their set list are only singles.

Totally disagree ;) I love 21st CB and those two songs are the best off that album IMO. Perfect singles.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:40 PM, Schindi_25 said:

The Band doesn‘t Play some 21st Century Breakdown Songs except for 21 Guns or know your Enemy. I‘ve Looked on some setlists and there are Not many in since 21cb Tour.

Maybe I Can understand why they aren’t doing the Album naming Song because it was more like an opening song, wasn‘t it?

The issue is that their set has been set at 2 hrs for a while and they keep releasing albums. The pool of songs grow but the set remains the same. Although I agree 21cb isn’t represented as well as some other records.

I do like 21cb as a track but not sure where that could fit. If GD went down the path of adding an intermission to their show they could extend the set a bit and fit something like this in to start set 2. 

I would also like to see EJN added back in. Good live song.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lenny said:

The issue is that their set has been set at 2 hrs for a while and they keep releasing albums. The pool of songs grow but the set remains the same. Although I agree 21cb isn’t represented as well as some other records.

I do like 21cb as a track but not sure where that could fit. If GD went down the path of adding an intermission to their show they could extend the set a bit and fit something like this in to start set 2.

Me when they’re 9 minutes into the bridge of Hitchin A Ride:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/1/2023 at 7:26 PM, Tomcat20 said:

The 21CB tour opener still gives me goosebumps after all this years. Would die for it if they decide to bring this one back.

Me too. I've said it before but close my eyes listening to it and I'm back in Hanover 2010! Specifically Hanover, I'm not sure why! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suffoKate said:

Me when they’re 9 minutes into the bridge of Hitchin A Ride:

giphy.gif

Yeah and thats another issue altogether. Almost 7 mins of American Idiot and 9 minutes of Hitchin A Ride. King for a Day, Knowledge, bringing a kid on stage, classic rock medleys etc.

I like when they do the Tre drum solos or when they did the little jazz thing during AI so if you wanna do something different do that instead. 

I think I just clipped off a good 26 minutes or so…. Let’s get a trilogy song in, EJN, an early GD song, another insomniac song and maybe something else from Warning? 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, Christian's Inferno! said:

The line as written is not my favorite choice of word, but it absolutely has to make reference to Black people somehow, and not in a positive light, for the first half of the song to carry the punch it does. Meanwhile, in Holiday, the word "fag" adds literally nothing beyond shock value to the song. Kill all the ones, kill all the folks, kill all the pigs, kill all the snots, all words I've heard used instead of "Kill all the fags", and the song lost nothing for it. "Just a bunch of losers throwing gas into the hysteria"? That robs the first half of American Eulogy of its meaning. Does that mean the song should just be left to rot? Maybe you could make that argument, but if American Eulogy shouldn't be played again because of that one line, then I don't see why Billie Joe wouldn't have stopped telling audiences to "kill all the fags" long, long ago.

So maybe "just a bunch of faggots throwing gas into the hysteria", then? It makes as much sense there as it does in Holiday, tbqh.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:26 PM, Tomcat20 said:

The 21CB tour opener still gives me goosebumps after all this years. Would die for it if they decide to bring this one back.

It's kind of a lackluster intro just watching it on YouTube or the MTV special, but seeing it live was a different animal. Not the best show opening I've ever seen (Roger Water owns that spot forever), but definitely so much better live than it is on a screen.