New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

15 minutes ago, Montclare said:

People shitting on AI isn't new.  There were people at the time, who either didn't like the "new" sound/image, didn't like them speaking about politics/their positions, and this has continued.  There's also people who just want to be contrarian.  And like it's been said, rock just isn't the big thing now.  I'd love for them to chart on the Billboard 100 again, but unless there's a shift, don't see it happening.  As long as they keep doing well in the rock charts, I'm happy.  It does concern me a bit that they went down in the hot rock/alternative/rock alternative charts this week, but they haven't really been promoting it this past week since they've been sick.  Hopefully they'll start doing real interviews and going on talk shows and things will improve.

I think this is the false image that airplay charts create. It’s a tactic achieved by record labels to get the songs heard, but it’s not enough on its own. The people then have to respond by buying and streaming it themselves in the millions to make an actual chart impact that matters. If the response is meh, the song slides down the airplay chart and that’s it. It’s possible it could take time to grow, and I agree some promotion on TV and elsewhere would help that.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Honestly, I've always just considered the Golden Age of Green Day to be Dookie-21CB but I might have to throw the trilogy in to that Golden Age. And ik a lot of people would really disagree with me there, I've always acknowledged how flawed the trilogy is but there are so many songs on there that are just straight up fire. It's not as consistent as the 94-09 stuff but a trilogy can't really be that consistent. I'm overall really happy with how the trilogy turned out and think it's the best thing they've done post-21CB. It's better than RevRad, it's better than Longshot, it's for sure better than FOAMF and the new Network album imo. I won't be surprised if I end up preferring the trilogy to Saviors, I hope that's not the case but I think the trilogy is genuinely pretty great

Talking of people not listening to albums anymore, instead just popular songs. I can't stand the fact that people are hearing Longview without hearing Chump before it. Or Brain Stew without Jaded. And not even just songs that transition. But when I hear Basket Case on its own, I immediately expect to hear She. When I listen to Panic Song, I can just hear the bass intro to Stuart and the Ave.. Playlists and just picking and choosing songs can be great but I can't imagine not listening to albums. A 9/10 album is so much more impactful than a playlist full of 10/10 songs that don't connect to each other imo

While I personally prefer RevRad over the trilogy, I can definitely understand why some fans think that the trilogy is better. It definitely deserves a critical reassessment because I think it didn’t deserve the hate it got from some critics and fans. While it’s officially three separate albums, I always saw the trilogy as one project, and if you take all three records into account, the good definitely outweighs the bad. I sometimes find it hard to look past some of the mediocre or even bad songs (and lyrics) and the overall sound of the production. But realistically speaking, you cannot expect 30+ perfect songs for a project like this. So while I think that the trilogy isn’t as good as their output between 94 und 09, it’s still an ambitious project that grew on me over the years. 

I think I almost exclusively listened to albums before Spotify became a thing. There’s definitely an appeal to creating your own playlists but it’s just not the same as listening to one of your favorite albums from front to back. I don’t know if an album like AI would have as big of an impact if it came out now. Probably not. The big hits would end up on playlists but songs like JOS or Homecoming would probably get killed by the Spotify algorithm.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

While I personally prefer RevRad over the trilogy, I can definitely understand why some fans think that the trilogy is better. It definitely deserves a critical reassessment because I think it didn’t deserve the hate it got from some critics and fans. While it’s officially three separate albums, I always saw the trilogy as one project, and if you take all three records into account, the good definitely outweighs the bad. I sometimes find it hard to look past some of the mediocre or even bad songs (and lyrics) and the overall sound of the production. But realistically speaking, you cannot expect 30+ perfect songs for a project like this. So while I think that the trilogy isn’t as good as their output between 94 und 09, it’s still an ambitious project that grew on me over the years. 

I think I almost exclusively listened to albums before Spotify became a thing. There’s definitely an appeal to creating your own playlists but it’s just not the same as listening to one of your favorite albums from front to back. I don’t know if an album like AI would have as big of an impact if it came out now. Probably not. The big hits would end up on playlists but songs like JOS or Homecoming would probably get killed by the Spotify algorithm.

I could for sure see Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming being broken up into 10 tracks if it were released today. Would probably get much more streams as a whole even if less people end up listening to them. If they still sounded the same and transitioned into each other as they currently do, then it would still make for a great listen but it for sure hits better when they're taken as 2 long songs rather than 10 really short ones

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Honestly, I've always just considered the Golden Age of Green Day to be Dookie-21CB but I might have to throw the trilogy in to that Golden Age. And ik a lot of people would really disagree with me there, I've always acknowledged how flawed the trilogy is but there are so many songs on there that are just straight up fire. It's not as consistent as the 94-09 stuff but a trilogy can't really be that consistent. I'm overall really happy with how the trilogy turned out and think it's the best thing they've done post-21CB. It's better than RevRad, it's better than Longshot, it's for sure better than FOAMF and the new Network album imo. I won't be surprised if I end up preferring the trilogy to Saviors, I hope that's not the case but I think the trilogy is genuinely pretty great

Talking of people not listening to albums anymore, instead just popular songs. I can't stand the fact that people are hearing Longview without hearing Chump before it. Or Brain Stew without Jaded. And not even just songs that transition. But when I hear Basket Case on its own, I immediately expect to hear She. When I listen to Panic Song, I can just hear the bass intro to Stuart and the Ave.. Playlists and just picking and choosing songs can be great but I can't imagine not listening to albums. A 9/10 album is so much more impactful than a playlist full of 10/10 songs that don't connect to each other imo

3 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

We shouldn’t forget that these guys had an incredible run between Dookie and 21CBD. All of their albums, even those that were considered commercial failures at the time, sold millions of copies worldwide. Dookie and AI were obviously massive, but all of their other releases were successful too. And the songs from these albums are still very popular. They have a lot of monthly listeners on Spotify, more than most of their contemporaries, and they still have the ability to fill stadiums with their music. That tells me that they’re definitely not irrelevant or unpopular. It’s true that there’s less interest in their new material but that has nothing to do with the quality of the songs. It’s not like no one will listen to the new record. Even FOAM debuted at #1 in various countries. I obviously want the band to do well, but I also think we’re kind of spoiled. 

Additionally, I feel like they don’t even want to be the center of attention anymore. Billie isn’t like Dave Grohl who gives like 30 interviews a day. I mean look at the Foo Fighters, they even had their own horror movie last year. That’s just something that Green Day wouldn’t do, and I’m kind of happy about that. They don’t do collaborations, they don’t appear on TV that often and while I’d sometimes love to see more of them, I also understand this approach. They have nothing to prove anymore, why not take it easy?

Co-sign!

also we got releases from Tubbies, The Networkers, and Pinhead Gunpowder during the golden years!

• Like 1

Obviously with streaming it's quick convenient, and you can create your own playlists and listen to them wherever you are. Could you say it's killing the listeners ability to fully know a band inside out.

Maybe I'm old school, but going to record store picking up a 12"  vinyl into the sound booth, headphones on, shut your eyes, fuck everything else, just listen. The excitement, the rush when I first heard Kerplunk and found my new love when I listened to PHGP just because of the name.

Even CD singles, the last one was Bang, Bang, which as always with GD included live tracks, the latter you can't stream, it just ain't the same.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pcj said:

Obviously with streaming it's quick convenient, and you can create your own playlists and listen to them wherever you are. Could you say it's killing the listeners ability to fully know a band inside out.

Maybe I'm old school, but going to record store picking up a 12"  vinyl into the sound booth, headphones on, shut your eyes, fuck everything else, just listen. The excitement, the rush when I first heard Kerplunk and found my new love when I listened to PHGP just because of the name.

Even CD singles, the last one was Bang, Bang, which as always with GD included live tracks, the latter you can't stream, it just ain't the same.

I mean back in the early days of streaming where the most convenient way of hearing music online was through YouTube, I'd get why it'd be harder for people to listen to a band fully or listen through their albums in order. That's sort of how I listened to Green Day at first. I knew most of the songs off of American Idiot but most of the songs I heard after that I just discovered through listening to Green Day songs on YouTube, seeing new songs in the recommended section and I didn't know what album these songs were on when I heard them because they were mostly lyric videos. If anything, with streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music, it should be easier to know a band inside out since you have their entire discography in front of you. It also should be easier for you to listen to albums. I think people just don't want to. I think it's much easier for people to just listen to the top 10 for a band, save the songs they like and move onto the next band's top 10

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I also think that buying the physical copy of an album or single was some sort of commitment. You actively had to go to the record store and spend money on a CD or vinyl. You only did that for artists you really cared about. Nowadays, the entire catalogue of a band is just one klick away. That’s super convenient but it can also be overwhelming. There’s too much to chose from. I sometimes feel like there’s so much music I’d like to listen to, but in the end, I end up listening to my favorite records over and over again. So I would say that sometimes less is actually more.

I feel this. At $10-15 for one record buying music was a decision and a risk. Often I ended up with albums in my collection where I liked a couple singles but the rest was crap. I tried to keep to a rule where I had to know at least three songs to make the purchase worth it if it was a new band or I only bought albums from certain “reliable” favorites. That’s where taping became really useful, we’d record our albums or mix tapes and share them to hear more without breaking the bank.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I feel this. At $10-15 for one record buying music was a decision and a risk. Often I ended up with albums in my collection where I liked a couple singles but the rest was crap. I tried to keep to a rule where I had to know at least three songs to make the purchase worth it if it was a new band or I only bought albums from certain “reliable” favorites. That’s where taping became really useful, we’d record our albums or mix tapes and share them to hear more without breaking the bank.

My father was a musician so I was fortunate enough to be born into a house with thousands of albums across all different formats.

Music was a lifestyle in my household. We would hit up record stores all the time and just pick up second-hand discs for cheap. 

I even remember in the early 90’s my dad had a turntable set up and he was listening to vinyl for a while, maybe it was a record that didn’t get released on cd yet? I just remember thinking, wow that’s a lot of artwork and it sounds different. 

So it’s weird for me to see buying an album as a risk because of my upbringing. We purposely went out to seek those risks just for something new to hear. 

6 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I also think that buying the physical copy of an album or single was some sort of commitment. You actively had to go to the record store and spend money on a CD or vinyl. You only did that for artists you really cared about. Nowadays, the entire catalogue of a band is just one klick away. That’s super convenient but it can also be overwhelming. There’s too much to chose from. I sometimes feel like there’s so much music I’d like to listen to, but in the end, I end up listening to my favorite records over and over again. So I would say that sometimes less is actually more.

Ah yes the physical single! Had a few of those in my time. I remember the American Idiot one with Too Much Too Soon. I still really love that song.

C&V may not have been on the same scale as AI but I still believe we lost some good singles by never getting it released. It would have sat nicely against the old catalog.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Lenny said:

My father was a musician so I was fortunate enough to be born into a house with thousands of albums across all different formats.

Music was a lifestyle in my household. We would hit up record stores all the time and just pick up second-hand discs for cheap. 

I even remember in the early 90’s my dad had a turntable set up and he was listening to vinyl for a while, maybe it was a record that didn’t get released on cd yet? I just remember thinking, wow that’s a lot of artwork and it sounds different. 

So it’s weird for me to see buying an album as a risk because of my upbringing. We purposely went out to seek those risks just for something new to hear. 

Ah yes the physical single! Had a few of those in my time. I remember the American Idiot one with Too Much Too Soon. I still really love that song.

C&V may not have been on the same scale as AI but I still believe we lost some good singles by never getting it released. It would have sat nicely against the old catalog.

The only music my father and I had in common was The Beatles. The first Beatles records I heard were the two 8-tracks we had in the house of The Beatles Second album and Beatles VI (American compilations).

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Loved listening to all these previous comments. I now realise how lucky I was in the '90's. Three underground indie record stores where you could listen to a whole album in store with no commitment to buy. Also, the city library had a huge record collection. You could take out up to three LPs for two weeks, a totally free service. However, you were relying on previous users looking after the record. Sometimes they were very scratched. When the library started stocking CD's you could cheekily burn the cd before returning. 

• Like 1

I remember those days, the joy of finding all sorts of music in the library (it’s where I found Dr Feelgood), record shops letting you hang out and listen and the rush of buying a new album… then CD.  But, moving them all, particularly vinyl, was a nightmare and we moved regularly so CDs felt like a huge boon.  I still like to buy physical copies, probably always will but I think there is a huge loss in streaming songs and not listening to a well crafted album.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

LMNB hasn't charted on any charts, probably because radio stations are still choosing to play TADIKM and not LMNB

That's an interesting conclusion. You've got me wondering.

Any thoughts on why? idk, do they consider the song not worthy for airtime? Surely not, imho both songs are amazing.

Maybe LMNB was released to soon after TADIKM, but it's not unusual to release singles close together, is it?

With the assumption that a third single is scheduled before the album, should its release date be later rather and sooner, so as not to limit airtime of each single?

10 minutes ago, pcj said:

Any thoughts on why? idk, do they consider the song not worthy for airtime? Surely not, imho both songs are amazing.

Maybe LMNB was released to soon after TADIKM, but it's not unusual to release singles close together, is it?

With the assumption that a third single is scheduled before the album, should its release date be later rather and sooner, so as not to limit airtime of each single?

The official release date is set January 19th there's plenty of time to release two more songs my guess 1981 and then father to a son both will be released before saviors comes out 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pcj said:

I think it was just released too soon after TADIKM. Like it was 7 days after

For reference, FRA released a month after FOA and that track barely charted on anything either. But the gap was 4x bigger for that song than LMNB. I don't think the band expected anything from FRA or LMNB. The most commercial singles for each album cycle is the lead single and the more ballad type single.

If the song was performing better on streaming platforms, then we probably would be seeing it chart on some rock charts despite poor airplay. But neither song is doing too well in terms of streaming anyway. Modern GD singles chart success is mostly down to airplay anyway. I think it will be another while before we get a 3rd single, Oh Yeah was released 3 months after FRA. I imagine it'll at least be another month before we hear anything about a 3rd single

7 minutes ago, ekim said:

The official release date is set January 19th there's plenty of time to release two more songs my guess 1981 and then father to a son both will be released before saviors comes out 

FOAMF released the 4th single Meet Me on the Roof on the day of the album release. I think it's pretty typical nowadays (at least for modern rock bands) for the 4th / last single to be released on or around the album release

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think it was just released too soon after TADIKM. Like it was 7 days after

For reference, FRA released a month after FOA and that track barely charted on anything either. But the gap was 4x bigger for that song than LMNB. I don't think the band expected anything from FRA or LMNB. The most commercial singles for each album cycle is the lead single and the more ballad type single.

If the song was performing better on streaming platforms, then we probably would be seeing it chart on some rock charts despite poor airplay. But neither song is doing too well in terms of streaming anyway. Modern GD singles chart success is mostly down to airplay anyway. I think it will be another while before we get a 3rd single, Oh Yeah was released 3 months after FRA. I imagine it'll at least be another month before we hear anything about a 3rd single

FOAMF released the 4th single Meet Me on the Roof on the day of the album release. I think it's pretty typical nowadays (at least for modern rock bands) for the 4th / last single to be released on or around the album release

I honestly think they need to focus on "father to a son" it's one of the longer songs, I don't think 1981 has any potential of being a hit it's too short and the chorus is way to repetitive.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/green-day-rules-mainstream-rock-airplay-american-dream-killing-me-1235489910/

Looks like TADIKM hit #1 on Mainstream Rock Airplay, while staying at #1 on Rock & Alternative Airplay. 

Other chart updates are mentioned in the article too

Can't believe oh yeah went to #1 the song is terrible 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ekim said:

Can't believe oh yeah went to #1 the song is terrible 

"There's no accounting for taste" as the saying goes 😁

• Like 1