New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

He could have also gone with TikTok rather than simply saying social media or singling out a different platform for alliteration purposes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jengd said:

I think the paedophile line is clear. He’s saying that American’s (or many of them) have an unhealthy relationship with their unrelenting belief in the American Dream.  

This is exactly what I thought when I first heard it, and I am not even American.

It kind of reminds me of that one word in 21cb that Billie uses where people just freak out about the word itself and not really think about the way it was used or the intention behind it.

5 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

What do you think about people loving what you criticize? Like Haushinka

Wait what is wrong with Haushinka? That song is incredible and one of the earliest examples I can think of where the band uses classic rock and power pop as a huge influence on the sound and structure.

6 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

People are just being critical of his reviews. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have the right to do what he wants to do with his channel. But personally, I don't see why someone listens to and reviews artists they haven't liked for over 20 years. I don't see where the "silencing" is coming in

Yeah, he absolutely can do whatever he wants and all the power to him... but in all honesty that video reminds me of some of my less proud moments as a shitty teenager. I don't really see anything constructive as far as criticism goes in his video, but rather someone who's just listening to the song with the intention of trying to find reasons to hate on it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

He can have whatever opinions he wants, that's fine. What I do have an issue with is more how everyone who watches fantano responds to that. When he gave FOAM a 0/10, I did not think that score was justified but at the end of the day, it's his opinion. But I think him giving the album a 0/10 had a huge effect on everyone who listened to that review and then went to listen to the album. Idk if anyone who watched the review and then went to listen to FOAMF genuinely went into the album with any intentions other than wanting to hate it because Fantano did. I don't even like FOAMF but that's what I think.

I completely agree. Intentionally shitting on stuff you don't like in front of an audience (whether you genuinely hate it or not) while also trying to be a professional critic just looks extremely unprofessional and absolutely nothing constructive comes out of it.

If he knows it's not his cup of tea, then why bother wasting time on it?

FOAM is my least favorite GD record by far, but even I still get annoyed when I see people act like it is the worst thing on earth and I know part of that is because of "influencers" like him shitting all over it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sanity Loan said:

I can’t quit singing this song.

It is now my most played song of the last 4 weeks and all time on Spotify, but it skipped the last 6 months somehow.  Haha.    I guess over all time, I played in the most but the last six months I played I Feel So by Box Car Racer more.  It's not my fault Spotify plays that song every time a playlist or album finishes up.    Geeze. 

I searched for positive Green Day reviews by Fantano....he has only reviewed Rev Rad and Foam, which seems wrong.  I wanted to hear him talk trilogy.   Anyway, he said Green Day were the better band of the 2016 pop punk rivival with Good Charlotte and Sum 41 being 'more headache inducing' than Green Day, who have a back catalogue worth revisiting.  He shows Dookie, so he might be one of the Dookie is good but everything else is mid to burn in hell bad.  Lol 

He might skip Saviors.  We'll see.  I know I'm about to write a song review of look ma no brains. 

6 hours ago, That Dude said:

I searched for positive Green Day reviews by Fantano....he has only reviewed Rev Rad and Foam, which seems wrong.  I wanted to hear him talk trilogy.   Anyway, he said Green Day were the better band of the 2016 pop punk rivival with Good Charlotte and Sum 41 being 'more headache inducing' than Green Day, who have a back catalogue worth revisiting.  He shows Dookie, so he might be one of the Dookie is good but everything else is mid to burn in hell bad.  Lol 

He might skip Saviors.  We'll see.  I know I'm about to write a song review of look ma no brains. 

He hasn't liked any Green Day album since Nimrod

He won't skip Saviors

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alecandstuff said:

Well, then the question becomes what do you think the line is supposed to mean? As I read it, it means that the toxicity of social media and taxes, much like death and taxes, are the only things in life we can count on anymore. Doesn’t matter if it’s the narrator or whoever it is, BJ wrote it. Regardless of that, I do actually agree that that is true, and tbh I wouldn’t use social media at all if it weren’t for my job and distant friends, but the commentary he’s trying to convey in that line comes across a lot weaker by name dropping and lack of a setup for why it’s bad. I also agree that the general public doesn’t care either, I just want, like many other music enthusiasts, this band to be firing on all cylinders and it’s small lines like that and the odd pedophile one that make me scratch my head wondering what the creative choice behind it really was lol

To me, it sounds like he sings about political issues that conservatives often talk about, namely immigration, taxes and social media. If I remember this correctly, there were actually some Republicans who wanted to ban the app in the United States. I believe that’s what he is referring to, but of course you can also read it as an implicit criticism of social media as a whole. You’re right though, if someone just hears this line without paying attention to the rest of the lyrics, it comes across as kind of lazy. I just don’t think it’s as embarrassing as some people are claiming.

Also, the songs is now up to 1,494.797 streams on Spotify.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Spotify streams for TADIKM
Day 1 - 248k
Day 2 - 487k (+239k)
Day 3 - 663k (+176k)
Day 4 - 1,078k (+415k)
Day 5 - 1,313k (+235k)
Day 6 - 1,495k (+182k)

I'm listening around 27 times a day.  I might make a playlist where it's the good songs from Blink's new album and then American Dream x 30.  

• Haha 1

I finally memorised the lyrics and damn this song is so much fun to sing along to at the top of your voice :wub: 

• Like 4

On 10/30/2023 at 9:18 AM, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't care about fantano's opinions on Green Day. He can have whatever opinions he wants, that's fine. What I do have an issue with is more how everyone who watches fantano responds to that. When he gave FOAM a 0/10, I did not think that score was justified but at the end of the day, it's his opinion. But I think him giving the album a 0/10 had a huge effect on everyone who listened to that review and then went to listen to the album. Idk if anyone who watched the review and then went to listen to FOAMF genuinely went into the album with any intentions other than wanting to hate it because Fantano did. I don't even like FOAMF but that's what I think. As a result, if you go on metacritic, albumoftheyear.org etc and look at FOAMF user scores, they will be so damn low. Like ridiculously lower than you'd expect. Especially on albumoftheyear.org which seems more like the r/iamsosmart version of Metacritic. And I think that's mostly down to fantano's review. There are other reviewers who are like fantano but don't have as much of an influence as fantano who's probably the most subscribed to music critic on YouTube

I have more respect for reviewers who mostly review bands who they at least somewhat like. They may not like everything that the band releases but they have a level of respect for the artists they cover and don't go into the albums with negativity. Spectrum Pulse, Rocked, Crash Thompson, even ARTV may not love everything the band has done since AI or 21CB but they treat the albums and band with a level of respect, they acknowledge the good parts of bad albums. I just don't see why you'd continue to even bother with Green Day if you haven't liked anything they've done since the 90's

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Anthony Fantano is a massive poser. He knows fucking nothing about music.

He’s given shit albums good scores and good albums bad scores. He plays on trends for his own popularity.

Sorry Anthony I wanted to like you but I can’t because of the above.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, That Dude said:

I'm listening around 27 times a day.  I might make a playlist where it's the good songs from Blink's new album and then American Dream x 30.  

I WAS NOT KIDDING: 

• Haha 1

OMG! It's almost the end of Nov 1. That means a new song releases tomorrow! 🤘🤘

*... realises that America is probably still in October*
Goddammit get with the times, guys!!!

Lets try this again...

OMG! A new song releases on the 3rd! 🤘🤘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Montclare said:

Billboard numbers this week-

Rock and Alternative Airplay- 4

Alternative Airplay- 13

Mainstream Rock Airplay- 20

Canada Rock- 12

Honestly, I never understood the differences between all these charts. I mean, Rock and Alternative Airplay and Alternative Airplay, isn’t that more or less the same? And Mainstream Rock? How do they even measure this? :D

1 hour ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Honestly, I never understood the differences between all these charts. I mean, Rock and Alternative Airplay and Alternative Airplay, isn’t that more or less the same? And Mainstream Rock? How do they even measure this? :D

I think I know the difference with the last chart :lol:

12 hours ago, Montclare said:

Billboard numbers this week-

Rock and Alternative Airplay- 4

Alternative Airplay- 13

Mainstream Rock Airplay- 20

Canada Rock- 12

Anyone knows how this compares to the debut performance of other singles on these charts?

Spotify streams for TADIKM
Day 1 - 248k
Day 2 - 487k (+239k)
Day 3 - 663k (+176k)
Day 4 - 1,078k (+415k)
Day 5 - 1,313k (+235k)
Day 6 - 1,495k (+182k)
Day 7 - 1,718k (+223k)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

and one other interesting aspect regarding the commercial aspect: whilst it's certainly a slow start, it seems to be very steady and consistent.

I'll honestly take slow and steady any day over fast and chaotic. It's not a bad place to be for a band in their 50s with (soon) 14 studio albums under their belt. Let's have a decent and consistent album, all the way from song-writing/instrumentation to production. It's been a while since they've done one of those, so now feels like the perfect time for it.

This 100%

I check the streams over time that GD albums get sometimes and FOAMF started off slow and only got worse over time. Of course after a few months, every album stops getting listened to as much but it wasn't that long after its release that it started getting less daily streams than Uno, an album that was around a decade old, released when streaming was barely a thing and wasn't successful for the band at the time.

It's been a while since I've checked how these albums are doing in terms of streaming but I wouldn't be too surprised if more people are listening to Dos & Tré on spotify at this point than FOAMF. If Saviors starts off pretty slow but consistently gets listened to by a sizeable number of Green Day fans, I can see it doing streaming numbers along the same lines to RevRad. It will probably also get some more album sales in its first few weeks than FOAMF did. I'm pretty sure album sales for FOAMF plummeted hugely after week 1. There was an article that's deleted now that said FOAMF had sold very little in its 2nd week, like 5,000 copies after their first week selling 42k

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Wikipedia says that Bang Bang debuted at #16 on Alternative Airplay (which was apparently called Alternative Songs back then) and at #17 on Mainstream Rock. So I guess it’s a similar start. 

To be fair, Green Day isn’t the only big rock band who’s facing these issues. Even the latest Blink album, which debuted at #1, sold less copies in its first week than California did back in 2016. Or look at the Foo Fighters. Their latest album was well received by critics yet didn’t really make a big commercial impact. But honestly, it doesn’t really matter. These bands have nothing to prove anymore. Green Day are among the biggest rock bands of all time. I guess people just love the classics so much that it’s hard for them to actually listen to new material. Still, I think that the new songs is well received by the fans and that’s actually the most important thing at this point.

I’m pretty sure that the new record will be more successful than FOAM was. But most importantly, I’m happy that the guys are still putting out new material. That’s all I really want.

I think the new Blink album has actually done really well. It performed worse than California in terms of total sales first week but I think it's the first rock band to debut at #1 in 2023. Albums sell less now than even just in 2016 so part of the decrease all these bands have seen in their sales are due to that. But One More Time is for sure going to end up surpassing California in terms of streams at some point, I'm quite confident in that. You can look at the units California (186k) & One More Time (125k) sold for their first week but when you look at how many of those units came from streaming, OMT beats California 24k to 14k

The issue with albums like FOAM's album sales isn't just that it's less than that of the trilogy or RevRad. That's to be expected. It's HOW MUCH less than the trilogy/RevRad it is and how fast the sales plummeted after week 1.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think the new Blink album has actually done really well. It performed worse than California in terms of total sales first week but I think it's the first rock band to debut at #1 in 2023. Albums sell less now than even just in 2016 so part of the decrease all these bands have seen in their sales are due to that. But One More Time is for sure going to end up surpassing California in terms of streams at some point, I'm quite confident in that. You can look at the units California (186k) & One More Time (125k) sold for their first week but when you look at how many of those units came from streaming, OMT beats California 24k to 14k

The issue with albums like FOAM's album sales isn't just that it's less than that of the trilogy or RevRad. That's to be expected. It's HOW MUCH less than the trilogy/RevRad it is and how fast the sales plummeted after week 1.

True, One More Time has certainly managed to create a lot of hype and even got attention from outside of the alternative scene. I don’t know if Green Day could do the same, but as it was mentioned earlier, this is something that is more or less out of the band’s control, at least in my opinion. I don’t think that people don’t care about Green Day anymore. I think they do, otherwise they wouldn’t have that many monthly listeners on Spotify and they wouldn’t be able to do these big stadium tours. But it seems like many of the fans don’t care that much for new material. But that might change, too. Maybe they release an emotional single similar to BOBD or even One More Time and suddenly get more attention again. Who knows?

I think the problem with FOAM was that many people listened to it once, were somewhat shocked by the new sound and never came back to the album. That’s certainly what I did. Of course I listened to the album quite a lot, but after a few weeks I just lost interest. And I’m sure the mixed reviews didn’t help either. 

• Like 1