New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

2 minutes ago, þjáningu said:

I haven't changed my point , it his job to get views on YouTube so he can get paid. The way he does that is that he reviews music across the music spectrum that is his choice to do that type of stuff. I never said he was forced to listen to artist he doesn't like , that's just what he does. 

You implied he was 'forced' to listen to artists he doesn't like when you gave "it's his job" as the explanation as to why he would do it. If his job is not forcing him to do it, "it's his job" is not an explanation. As you said in your last comment, he does it for a whole other reason, not because "it's his job".

Anyway, we're getting way off track here and this isn't even that relevant of a topic lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devilskind92 said:

You implied he was 'forced' to listen to artists he doesn't like when you gave "it's his job" as the explanation as to why he would do it. If his job is not forcing him to do it, "it's his job" is not an explanation. As you said in your last comment, he does it for a whole other reason, not because "it's his job".

Anyway, we're getting way off track here and this isn't even that relevant of a topic lol

My English isn't that good so I apologise if I implied that he was forced to do it 😔 

• Like 2

I’ll occasionally watch a review/reaction video cause I know they’ll bring up points I didn’t consider, but I just hate the overreacting and tbh, I don’t want others to influence my thoughts on it. If I like/dislike the track the first few times, there’s my answer. Whether that remains the same or changes later on, I like when it happens organically (enough). 

But I also don’t put much weigh on my who write things for larger publications either. I’ve encountered enough things to take with a grain of salt (unless proven otherwise by specific authors) that show a lack of research and respect, when attending concerts, interviewing, or giving album reviews, of certain genres. You don’t have to like what you write about, but at the very least, put some effort. 

• Like 2

Let's not pretend we didn't know the pedophile line would get a lot of attention and would be misinterpreted. On the first day of the song's release, I remember someone on the green day subreddit who genuinely thought the band were just saying "We're pedophiles". Like people have a lot of issues comprehending basic stuff

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Let's not pretend we didn't know the pedophile line would get a lot of attention and would be misinterpreted. On the first day of the song's release, I remember someone on the green day subreddit who genuinely thought the band were just saying "We're pedophiles". Like people have a lot of issues comprehending basic stuff

they definitely did not mean to claim themselves as pedophiles, but it's pretty hard to understand what they mean when saying that, which is an issue a lot of green day lyrics have. doesn't help that most songs are written entirely by billie joe (who is a good writer overall, but as i said before, he may fall into nonsense or difficulty getting his point across with his lyrics) i respect billie joe as a writer but some lyrics could have used some external input

15 minutes ago, Killjoy From Detroit said:

they definitely did not mean to claim themselves as pedophiles, but it's pretty hard to understand what they mean when saying that, which is an issue a lot of green day lyrics have. doesn't help that most songs are written entirely by billie joe (who is a good writer overall, but as i said before, he may fall into nonsense or difficulty getting his point across with his lyrics) i respect billie joe as a writer but some lyrics could have used some external input

I believe people are overthinking this line.

In my view, he's just talking about how American (and Western) society as a whole equates looking young to being attractive/sexy. Especially when it comes to women. People have an obsession with looking forever young, women can't shave, they can't have wrinkles... And in turn, men are applauded when they date younger women. We're at a point where it's not even shocking anymore when someone famous, usually a politician, is outed as a pedophile or a sexual predator.

In short, I interpret the line as being about another aspect of American culture: the hyper sexualization of the young.

That said, I agree with your criticisms of Billie's writing. Sometimes what he means is just a mystery. Maybe even to himself. Remember Nuclear Family? 😆  

29 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

Anyway anyway the song....it's great 😃 it doesn't top Bang Bang for me but definitely one of the best lead singles in the past few years. Way better than FOA and Oh Love.

It's hard to top Bang Bang. IMO it's one of their best singles, like, ever. A shame that they dropped it from setlists. That song was a bang banger live.

Edited by devilskind92
  • Like 2

To me, the pedophiles line is just saying, people will do fucked up things to achieve the American Dream.

People who don't look deeper into a line, this one or many others, and who take it literally, and then overreact, make themselves look bad. I just think, how would they react to Dylan's writing?

• Like 4

I don’t like Fantano’s work but everyone has the right to criticize art. That’s an important part of engaging in art and any talks of silencing those voices is concerning. Just don’t take it personal and enjoy what you enjoy.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Montclare said:

To me, the pedophiles line is just saying, people will do fucked up things to achieve the American Dream.

People who don't look deeper into a line, this one or many others, and who take it literally, and then overreact, make themselves look bad. I just think, how would they react to Dylan's writing?

Yeah, that makes sense. Like - people are so greedy that they would even succumb to pedophilia to appeal to powerful people in order to achieve their dream. Epstein (convicted pedophile and human trafficker) comes to mind and his seemingly endless list of A-list celebrities and Business Executives who were in contact with him. These people associated themselves with him, effectively making them pedophiles for more business opportunies.

Billie's songwriting to me always had this blunt, angrily shouting-from-the-rooftop vibe, so - to me - it would suit him to tackle this topic in this manner. 

Sources:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I don’t like Fantano’s work but everyone has the right to criticize art. That’s an important part of engaging in art and any talks of silencing those voices is concerning. Just don’t take it personal and enjoy what you enjoy.

Literally nobody here has tried to silence him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Literally nobody here has tried to silence him.

There has been talk that he should only review music he likes. I agree he hates Green Day and is biased, but he has the right to voice that opinion.

Just now, DookieLukie said:

There has been talk that he should only review music he likes. I agree he hates Green Day and is biased, but he has the right to voice that opinion.

People are just being critical of his reviews. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have the right to do what he wants to do with his channel. But personally, I don't see why someone listens to and reviews artists they haven't liked for over 20 years. I don't see where the "silencing" is coming in

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

People are just being critical of his reviews. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have the right to do what he wants to do with his channel. But personally, I don't see why someone listens to and reviews artists they haven't liked for over 20 years. I don't see where the "silencing" is coming in

I’m sure it helps his channel because a lot of people follow Green Day. Why wouldn’t he review a new release from a major rock act?

Not to keep staying off topic, but I ENJOY hearing someone criticize what I love....which is lucky for me because I love Foam and Trilogy!   Muhuhahah. 

But yes, even I agree the new album is shaping up to be more well crafted. 

• Like 3

Random question, but does anyone think tickets for the US tour will also go on sale this Thursday? Assuming not.. but I’m wondering if I should take off from work that day haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Not to keep staying off topic, but I ENJOY hearing someone criticize what I love....which is lucky for me because I love Foam and Trilogy!   Muhuhahah. 

But yes, even I agree the new album is shaping up to be more well crafted. 

What do you think about people loving what you criticize? Like Haushinka

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Not to keep staying off topic, but I ENJOY hearing someone criticize what I love

I enjoy it too, when it's constructive criticism or when it comes from a genuine place. Guys like Fantano already go into a new song knowing they'll hate it, they are waiting for the elements they can hate on to show up.

which is lucky for me because I love Foam and Trilogy!

I see you too share a taste for the fine arts, my fellow connoisseur 😌

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

What do you think about people loving what you criticize? Like Haushinka

It makes me feel the same way as when I hear people joking that Green Day are The Network. 😉  If I find a remix of Haushinka with a different instrumental, I might like it more.  Then trim it down to a Foamy length, put some hand claps on it and we might have a pretty good song there.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, James11693 said:

Random question, but does anyone think tickets for the US tour will also go on sale this Thursday? Assuming not.. but I’m wondering if I should take off from work that day haha

They'll announce it this Thursday. I'm fairly certain sales will happen next week.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They'll announce it this Thursday. I'm fairly certain sales will happen next week.

Thank you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I agree, but that’s not what the song says, is it? Because there’s a difference between the person who writes/sings a song and the “narrator“ (for lack of a better word). To me, “Don't want no huddled masses/TikTok and taxes“ is something that a conservative would say. So it’s not necessarily Billie Joe‘s position. I totally agree, it’s not subtle and it can easily be misinterpreted. I just think that some people don’t quite get the context. But ultimately, it doesn’t even matter. We’re in our little bubble where people spend hours talking about Green Day. But I’m pretty sure the mainstream audience doesn’t even care.

Well, then the question becomes what do you think the line is supposed to mean? As I read it, it means that the toxicity of social media and taxes, much like death and taxes, are the only things in life we can count on anymore. Doesn’t matter if it’s the narrator or whoever it is, BJ wrote it. Regardless of that, I do actually agree that that is true, and tbh I wouldn’t use social media at all if it weren’t for my job and distant friends, but the commentary he’s trying to convey in that line comes across a lot weaker by name dropping and lack of a setup for why it’s bad. I also agree that the general public doesn’t care either, I just want, like many other music enthusiasts, this band to be firing on all cylinders and it’s small lines like that and the odd pedophile one that make me scratch my head wondering what the creative choice behind it really was lol

10 hours ago, Hermione said:

I really like the song and video! Insanely catchy and a genuine return to AI/21st CB style. I can't wait for the album.

It's kind of funny. At first I didn't think the song was anywhere near as catchy as something like Bang Bang, until I found that I have not been able to get all of the verses and solo out of my head. I think the chorus is lacking a little bit (I've rarely been a fan of repetitive choruses in Green Day songs), but it's pretty clear to me those parts of the song aren't really meant to be the stars of the show.

99 Revolutions is the Green Day only song with a repetitive chorus that I can think of that I doesn't really trigger my peeve for them and I think it's because it musically switches things up each time the line is sung, whereas if it was literally sung the same way each time I think would make me like the song a whole lot less. It's actually pretty clever how much it changes how repetitive a song can feel. 

• Like 2