One Eyed Bastard - Opinion

Little Boy Named Booze

I don't think it's gonna be 1972 related so maybe it can have is own thread.
We all know this song has been leaked pretty much everywhere on the internet this morning. So what do you think after the first listen?

For me I think it's a fun song. Okay.
I can find some FOAM-y sound and some RevRad sound in this one.

Anyway, what about you?

• Like 2

I like it. Fun and very catchy. As I’ve said in the 1972 thread it has some FOAMiness but a healthy amount

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nflsbest26 said:

Love the 12 second snippet. Sounds kinda like the offspring

that's true it does give slight offspring vibes

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

that's true it does give slight offspring vibes

Yeah just before the chorus I can hear Offspring

Assuming it's from the FOAM Sessions, it sounds better than a lot of the songs on that album. The riff verging on sample level to Pink's "So What" is a little weird though.

• Like 4

Yikes yeah I wasn't expecting it to sound that much like Pink, even after seeing some comments on here. I don't feel like that riff fits with GD personally, or at least not this song. I much prefer the chorus.

Not a fan of just the piano and vocals in the first verse. It's actively annoying me. The second verse sounds much better. As a side note, the piano gives me horror movie soundtrack vibes :lol:

I do really really like the chorus. It does sound like Holiday but it still works and the lyrics/melody of the chorus are actually really catchy and sound pretty good.

Not a fan of the instrumental/outro parts, they go on too long repetitively and the short bursts of screechy guitar ain't it. If the song gets released/is on an album, I probably won't be listening past the second chorus at all. That last half of the song is skippable as hell and at some points actually difficult to listen to.

Lyrically, I'm undecided on it. There's definitely some elements of cringe in there, but surprisingly I actually really like the "Vendetta was a friend of mine,
Revenge is sweeter than wine" part even though Vendetta and Revenge are cringe GD buzzwords for me lmao. Overall though, lyrics could definitely be a lot worse.

The AYYYYOOOO made me cringe the first time but after a few listens it actually sounds pretty good and is the only part other than the chorus that kinda enjoy.

I think overall I do like it but that's mainly just for the chorus. If they are reworking it for a different song, I'd definitely be happy if they got rid of the repetitive instrumentals and that Pink riff and focused on the chorus. Then it'd have potential to be a pretty good song, although nothing groundbreaking.

• Like 4

There is something Sum 41 over this song imo. Something similiar to the SBM album of theirs. 

Fun and catchy song.

If to be officialy released the rip of off P!nk would be worse than the Pollyana rip of off Hoffs potato fries (the ones who knows knows)

I like it.  I like the Hey-Oh part because it's like a wink to those who make fun of Billie for using it too much at shows.  The drums are the one thing that sound demo-y to me.  Just very basic.  But overall, I like it.

• Like 2

I liked It too, even we don't know the whole album context, but the mafia theme seems interesting. Hope It make the final cut to the new album. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, squinty bitch said:

Lyrically, I'm undecided on it. There's definitely some elements of cringe in there, but surprisingly I actually really like the "Vendetta was a friend of mine,
Revenge is sweeter than wine" part even though Vendetta and Revenge are cringe GD buzzwords for me lmao. Overall though, lyrics could definitely be a lot worse.

Is the word "revenge" even used in any GD song?

I've listened a few times now and I do like it but they could definitely make the song better. The opening riff sounds cool, but I think they could tweak it to sound better and more original, if they released it as is they would probably have to share songwriting credits with p!nk (or whoever wrote the song for her, not sure if she writes her own stuff). I think lyrically this is better than most songs on foam, I think they should change the chorus though, the bada bing stuff should be backing vocals, I'm sure Billie could write something cool to go over it

In the first verse, it sounds a lot like “the passenger” by iggy pop. Y’all hear it too?

• Like 2

Well The Passenger and So What are very similar, music problems in a nutshell, but as this is a demo I take the Badabing to be a placeholder with final lyrics tbc.

3 hours ago, Montclare said:

I like it.  I like the Hey-Oh part because it's like a wink to those who make fun of Billie for using it too much at shows.  The drums are the one thing that sound demo-y to me.  Just very basic.  But overall, I like it.

Probably because if it’s a demo it’s Billie on drums

42 minutes ago, jengd said:

Well The Passenger and So What are very similar, music problems in a nutshell, but as this is a demo I take the Badabing to be a placeholder with final lyrics tbc.

The Bada bing has to be intentional lyrics because the Godfather reference matches all the mafia Don style of the narrator

• Like 1

I don't think this is a demo, the production is a lot better than the Longshot album, which was kinda just demos, and honestly the production on this even sounds better than the production on Pollyanna... I think this was recorded in a really good studio but it's probably just a rough mix done by Dugan for CLA to go off of. Guitars sound fine but the bass is a little buried, I could kinda hear that Mike was doing some cool fills towards the end but they need to be brought out more, the kick is a bit boomy and the snare could be a bit more crisp, but all of that is easily fixable, and if this was leaked back in 2021 then it would definitely be before CLA got his hands on it. I like the angry tone of the song, but most of the stuff from the 1972 teasers sounded more upbeat than this

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

I don't think this is a demo, the production is a lot better than the Longshot album, which was kinda just demos, and honestly the production on this even sounds better than the production on Pollyanna... I think this was recorded in a really good studio but it's probably just a rough mix done by Dugan for CLA to go off of. Guitars sound fine but the bass is a little buried, I could kinda hear that Mike was doing some cool fills towards the end but they need to be brought out more, the kick is a bit boomy and the snare could be a bit more crisp, but all of that is easily fixable, and if this was leaked back in 2021 then it would definitely be before CLA got his hands on it. I like the angry tone of the song, but most of the stuff from the 1972 teasers sounded more upbeat than this

The toms are 10/10. And there’s way more crack to the snare than foam could ever touch. 

I like how much heavier this song feels. This song does feel like something you'd hear on the radio in like 2006 so take that however you will. Not bad, I won't mind if it makes it on the new album. Hope all the new songs are heavier like that one 

• Like 1

it’s cool! Although I can see why some peeps would be disappointed (in the song writing, not production value). It would boost my excitement for it a little more if it were part of a story/another concept album. The sequences of songs before and after may alter my opinion vastly, in the end!

I don't get people who feels disappointed, it's a song that any of us were supposed to listen and if the band didn't(don't) want it out maybe it's because they wanted to save it for a better rework later or a better idea, the song has potential to do well commercially imo. 

• Like 1

Comparing to the other single songs like Pollyanna and Here Comes the Shock or even Holy Toledo in this case, this song is way more catchy. I'd say there's obviously some parts lyrically that need refining but again that's obviously to be expected. The song is incredibly catchy and I love the instrumentals. I even enjoy the vocals as I usually do with Green Day. So if this does eventually end up on the new album refined, or just in general as its own thing then I'm sure it'll be even better.

• Like 1