Green Day - Rock in Rio - 9 September 2022

Rumpelstiltskin2000

22 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I didn't think so. There were whole swathes of empty seats but I could be wrong. Emirates was actually overcapacity but it was smaller at just over 65k

I mean the Wembley Show in 2010. thought it was sold out

9 minutes ago, okotavio said:

Ok this is easily the best pro-shot in years :runaround:

I didn't think Hera Mega's OP footage would be so great 🥰

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

I mean the Wembley Show in 2010. thought it was sold out

That's the show I meant too

3 hours ago, jengd said:

Here you go, Kevin says 120,000 https://www.instagram.com/p/CiXu0iBuLro/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I think that was sold out and was also a record attendance for Wembley.

I must be wrong, honestly it seemed half empty to me

10 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Wembley had a lot of empty seats in the back. Bob Guen‘s book says 75k people attended Wembley.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Some stadiums can be really hard to judge though due to stage siting and also they have max numbers so when you have crowds on what’s normally the pitch they can’t sell all the seats I believe. Fire regulations I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karol Oliveira said:

An article by Julio Maria from Estadão. I'm gonna translate the part where he writes about Green Day because there's a paywall.

"Green Day versus Coldplay

Anyway, what's the best show of Rock in Rio? Everybody has its own, but here there's an argument in favor of Green Day. Both bands, Billie Joe Armstrong's and Chris Martin's work with very different emotional registers. Green Day access the anger - not hate, but anger, something sweeter - and Coldplay binds to love. But, indenpendently from the part of the brain they operate, Armstrong and Martin's positioning on the stage are very different and this will be definitive on the concert they do. More honest, Green Day lets your crowd feel with freedom what the band does on stage. Feel with freedom, that's the point. Just like literature or cinema, the emotions can be manipulated in a concert, making it possible the the timing of the exact moment the first tear will drop from the face of a fan. This is Coldplay. The souls controled all the time by the centralizer Chris Martin don't even decide when the lights binded on their arms will be triggered. Leave everything with uncle Chris Martin and just do what he says. A livestock-like behavior that would be concerning if Martin was a bad guy. How nice he isn't."

Not sure I understand that. Seems like he's saying they both manipulate emotions, just different ones, and for some reason Green Day's win out?

33 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not sure I understand that. Seems like he's saying they both manipulate emotions, just different ones, and for some reason Green Day's win out?

He's comparing two bands who put some of the best concerts of the festival. He says that both bands "operate" differently on the brain (Green Day access anger and Coldplay access love - first difference) and on stage (second difference). Green Day wins because on stage they let the crowd free to feel their own emotions during the concert (making them more honest) while Coldplay's is a big timed spectacle (for example, they distributed bracelets that have some kind of technology and during certain times of songs, they would all light up at the same time).

9 minutes ago, Karol Oliveira said:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Karol Oliveira said:

He's comparing two bands who put some of the best concerts of the festival. He says that both bands "operate" differently on the brain (Green Day access anger and Coldplay access love - first difference) and on stage (second difference). Green Day wins because on stage they let the crowd free to feel their own emotions during the concert (making them more honest) while Coldplay's is a big timed spectacle (for example, they distributed bracelets that have some kind of technology and during certain times of songs, they would all light up at the same time).

Interesting distinction. I’m not sure how true it is. With Green Day that “freedom” I think is an illusion. Both shows of this size are highly scripted, programmed and designed to elicit emotions at specific times. Whether it’s love or what have you is a distinction without a difference.  I’ve seen Coldplay, and while it felt really unifying and lovely, I think it’s just the tempo and raw energy of Green Day’s music and Billie’s frontman antics that make it a superior live experience for me. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Interesting distinction. I’m not sure how true it is. With Green Day that “freedom” I think is an illusion. Both shows of this size are highly scripted, programmed and designed to elicit emotions at specific times. Whether it’s love or what have you is a distinction without a difference.  I’ve seen Coldplay, and while it felt really unifying and lovely, I think it’s just the tempo and raw energy of Green Day’s music and Billie’s frontman antics that make it a superior live experience for me. 

Totally agree with you but I kinda think that only diehards can see this as highly scripted -- it's scripted to not feel scripted to a first-time viewer, in a way? Coldplay has been headlining huge festivals/concerts in Brazil for 10 years now and this is Green Day's first time.

I think the "illusion" is revealed only when you see the big picture -- yes you get to be on stage but always at the same parts of the same songs -- which is a highly controlled form of freedom :P

• Like 2

Every big live act is a piece of theater. I’d say Green Day’s is centered around the songs a bit more than what some other artists do, but that’s just a creative choice.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, okotavio said:

Totally agree with you but I kinda think that only diehards can see this as highly scripted -- it's scripted to not feel scripted to a first-time viewer, in a way? Coldplay has been headlining huge festivals/concerts in Brazil for 10 years now and this is Green Day's first time.

I think the "illusion" is revealed only when you see the big picture -- yes you get to be on stage but always at the same parts of the same songs -- which is a highly controlled form of freedom :P

Yeah for sure, Green Day are better at making it look spontaneous. How many reviews have we seen from cities where the journalist seems shocked and amazed that they brought someone up to play and gave the guitar away and we’re like uh, he does that every show 🙄 I mean yeah it’s awesome of them but was not an off the cuff crazy spur of the moment move, they just make it look that way every time.

• Like 4