Green Day headlining Outside Lands Music Festival

Little Boy Named Booze

18 hours ago, pinkyy said:

Wtf did they expect from a festival set? If anything that's where it makes the most sense to play their standard safe setlist.

• Like 3

Didn't catch this as it wasn't initially suppose to be streamed, but I guess I know what I'll be watching as I work today.

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to remember it was still a privilege to see GD, but part of us may feel trolled/teased when...

1. Weezer whipped out the 1996 B-side (and song I love 🥰) "I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams" (0:18:50):

2. The recap Ig video uses as soundtrack a song they didn't play 😛:
https://www.instagram.com/p/ChAy7l0vNdl/

On 8/7/2022 at 8:59 AM, That Dude said:

We've talked a lot about the band's 'by-the-numbers' set.    But the real question is whether the band enjoys playing the same songs over and over again.   I certainly hope they enjoy it, and aren't being pressure by record exec's or fan reaction to play what I call the "ONE - TWENTY ONE HITS" set list we keep getting every single night.    I know there has to be at least SOME of that involved.   

But it's kind of sad that no matter how rich and famous you are, you're never really free to do whatever you want.   I know that Green Day were to say, perform DOS in it's entirety everynight, followed by 10 Coldplay covers - the crowds would thin and their ability to tour would vanish.   It just sucks.

It sucks that a ragtag trio of punks with 60 Million or whatever in the bank can't play what the heck ever comes to mind. 

What's really concerning is that potentially the guys aren't happy at all.   That they can't stop for whatever reason.   The music industry won't let them.   The fans, or their feelings of owing the fans...... 

I hope that Billie, Mike and Tre have cemented a better deal with their label, but these set lists......

It's just bad.  

Add Too Dumb to Die to ther permeanant setlist and I'll forget I ever thought about this.    

Thanks Billie

I think, to a certain degree, you have a point. Maybe they do get bored playing the same setlist night after night, due to the pressure of the record label. I can understand that. But also, I think that's why they spring surprise shows with AMAZING setlists (they even took requests!!!) in smaller venues like The Metro on us, so they can let loose and do what they want. Also, we know their love of all the side bands that they are in that are not necessarily tied to a major label. I think that's why they do those side bands......to just get out and HAVE FUN, with no label hounding them to sell records or sell out stadiums. 

Either way, I, too, hope they are happy......and I honestly think they still love what they do. ❤️

• Like 3

They play the hits and the hits only at these shows because they want to. They want everyone in the crowd to be singing along the whole time and to walk away with their minds being blown. They're damn good at it and they know it. 

There is nothing stopping them from playing deep cuts and newer material but themselves. For better or for worse. It's up to us as hardcore fans to bully them into changing things up lol.

• Like 4

One thing is keeping the momentum and another factor is that they want to make sure the show is as smooth and on autopilot as possible to make sure they have the capacity to engage with the audience, run around and do all their  other schtick. That’s the show most of the audience is there for, not a bunch of songs most people wouldn’t care about. And I think that’s the approach they have to all their shows, not just the festival/HM run.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's not like the last two arena tours had amazing setlists with any regularity. They tend to be able to fit a few more rarities in at those shows, here and there. But they haven't been a band that changes up their setlist from night to night since the run-up to the trilogy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StillBreathing said:

As much as I’m over seeing BOBD and others on the setlist I feel if I were there I wouldn’t cared what they played and I would only care about the fact that my favourite band is in front of me. 

THIS. SOOOOOOOO much this!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ I just love seeing them!

• Like 2
  • Love 2