1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

1 hour ago, Raztuf said:

Hello everyone, haven't come here in ten years for the UnoDosTré release ! What's the concensus on the 1972 project ? Full album or EP ?

Think ep, but maybe we'll be surprised and get a lp

• Like 3

No album today. 

Drat.

Maybe they will be rebels and release the new album on a Tuesday.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Major Kusanagi said:

i would argue that sugar youth is another one with green day vibes

Totally agreed. Sugar Youth, Junkies on a High, and Take the Money and Crawl all have great Green Day vibes. As I have said many times, the singles are the weakest part of the album. I love Graffitia as a song but the production is awful. A very deep song got lost under all the claps.

24 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

Totally agreed. Sugar Youth, Junkies on a High, and Take the Money and Crawl all have great Green Day vibes. As I have said many times, the singles are the weakest part of the album. I love Graffitia as a song but the production is awful. A very deep song got lost under all the claps.

Meet Me on the Roof too!!!

• Love 1

So he produced it again.

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

cd4f38797ee5474fc48c1b7b31ecc345f64f75aa

2 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Meet Me on the Roof too!!!

Meet Me on the Roof is probably the best of the singles (title track is not bad either), but I didn't get the strongest Green Day vibes from it. Even if Walker is producing again, I doubt they go in the same direction as FOAM. I love the sound on Holy Toledo and if they can pair that sound with deep writing it will be great. One thing I have noticed on the post-FOAM singles is the return of drums. The drums were way too muted on FOAM. Please just let Tre do what Tre does best. More drums and less claps LOL.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:11 AM, JDA said:

I’m fully hoping butch is producing again.  Green Day needed a little life brought back to their sound. Rev Rad was self produced and was pretty evident. Foam is full of energy and the production is great. Crisp, loud, and full 

I think butch has is hands on this one.  Recall his interview at NAMM last year? He said he was recording new Green Day music.  

I loved RevRad but it was clear to me they definitely could’ve used the help on the mixing process. The volume seemed to be too low in some places like the intro to Too Dumb To Die.

2 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

Meet Me on the Roof is probably the best of the singles (title track is not bad either), but I didn't get the strongest Green Day vibes from it. Even if Walker is producing again, I doubt they go in the same direction as FOAM. I love the sound on Holy Toledo and if they can pair that sound with deep writing it will be great. One thing I have noticed on the post-FOAM singles is the return of drums. The drums were way too muted on FOAM. Please just let Tre do what Tre does best. More drums and less claps LOL.

Ironically, Tré was featured at the beginning of the Oh Yeah video saying, “I’m gonna show you guys how to play our new song, Oh Yeah!”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Ironically, Tré was featured at the beginning of the Oh Yeah video saying, “I’m gonna show you guys how to play our new song, Oh Yeah!”

I feel like that was intentional irony--which likely describes most of the album. 🤣

4 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

He told me to fuck off before FOAM when I made a comment about what I hoped the record would be (to be fair - prob not my place to say that to him, but it was pretty direct 😂)

it’s the most of a reaction you can get in the era of Billie practicing restraint on Instagram :lol:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I think Billie hires him as someone who is even worse at dealing with the public opinion/clap screapegoat

LOL CLAP SCAPEGOAT!!!!!! 😆

P.S. I like the handclaps but maybe not at this excessive level where it’s causing so much division and controversy 😆 and omg I love when they clap back against public opinion 😆 it’s so good/hilarious! 😆 

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

it’s the most of a reaction you can get in the era of Billie practicing restraint on Instagram :lol:

I want Billie to let go of the restraint! It’s so good when he’s saying stuff rather than relying on a clap-scapegoat 😆 

I love when shit gets like this… feels like the good ol’ days of pre-pandemic missing the point and fighting and clap-backing on “important” things 😆 

👏👏👏👏 let’s go Green Day!

• Like 1

Tbh I don't even know if the issues with FOAMF really even had anything to do with Butch Walker. I wonder what it would've been like without Butch or with a different producer

• Like 1

I had this crazy dream that 1972 was the band name of a new side project, with its own music and fashion style... and a new record was made, not some silly "ep"

2 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

I’m hitting the optimistic point of the Butch walker news… the clips we’ve heard have been short but sound nothing like FOAM. Maybe everyone learned a lesson, and if Butch can just effectively capture new Green Day ideas maybe it will still be a great return to form

Here’s what I think. Knowing FOAM was their last album with Warner, they made it sound as shitty as possible (by their standards anyway, as it’s still a pretty good album, just not maximum Green Day). Then in an interview, Billie said, “Maybe we’ll put out another album next year before the tour.” Then of course the pandemic delayed everything. I’m thinking he had all the 1972 songs written and ready to record, but decided to record the 3 singles first (HCTS, Pollyanna, and Holy Toledo) and decided to line this new record up with their 50th birthdays this year!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I want Billie to let go of the restraint! It’s so good when he’s saying stuff rather than relying on a clap-scapegoat 😆 

He’s making a good choice imo… he doesn’t need to deal with people telling them they didn’t like whatever he just released

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Here’s what I think. Knowing FOAM was their last album with Warner, they made it sound as shitty as possible (by their standards anyway, as it’s still a pretty good album, just not maximum Green Day). Then in an interview, Billie said, “Maybe we’ll put out another album next year before the tour.” Then of course the pandemic delayed everything. I’m thinking he had all the 1972 songs written and ready to record, but decided to record the 3 singles first (HCTS, Pollyanna, and Holy Toledo) and decided to line this new record up with their 50th birthdays this year!!!

No they did not try to make it sound shitty, he said FOAM was the most proud he’s been of any GD single. HCTS was FOAM leftover. It also was not them not trying it’s just uninspired songwriting.

But there is not this master plan, and they’re still with Warner for distro

• Like 2

The amount of delusion and disappointment here mixed together is hilarious :lol: . If I'm gonna pinpoint problems in the production of FOAM, I'd throw my darts to the mastering engineer. He went crazy with the color and compression on the CD master. Hell, listening in vynil is like listening another different record.

Butch did a great job as producer. If he didn't, the band wouldn't be working with him again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, greendepent said:

The amount of delusion and disappointment here mixed together is hilarious :lol: . If I'm gonna pinpoint problems in the production of FOAM, I'd throw my darts to the mastering engineer. He went crazy with the color and compression on the CD master. Hell, listening in vynil is like listening another different record.

Butch did a great job as producer. If he didn't, the band wouldn't be working with him again.

Never listened to this on CD, so I can’t comment on that, but Butch Walker is the producer of the record, Brian Lucey did the mastering.

Edit: sorry, I’m a bit drunk and misread your post, thought you were atributing the mastering to him

• Thanks 1

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic