1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

Love their teasers! I like this song so far. Doesn't sound FOAM to me, which is good in my opinion. Sounds like classic green day. Reminded me of RevRad a little bit. I'm optimistic their new album will be a good one 😊

And yeah the end of this clip definitely sounds like Static Age 

• Like 1

Exciting!

GDC - great it sounds like Green Day…. Also, sounds like same old Green Day 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This whole thing gets more interesting with every new teaser. So far I get vibes of  21CB mixed with the trilogy and it’s exiting as hell, except when people call 21CB era as old Green Day, which makes me feel ancient 😄

At first I was pretty sure it’s going to be an EP,  but it looks like it might be something bigger, they are bothering way too much with the teasers

I really hope the announcement will be coming soon. I enjoy the teasers, but so not ready for months of those 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, StaryedHeart said:

Does anyone else think it sounds a bit like the trilogy? I loved this teaser so much!

Yesss the sound in the last seconds seems like 99Rev

While I'm still slightly afraid that the production of the 3rd teaser is just that of a demo version (they're filmed in a studio playing together, which would indicate this; I don't think they've ever recorded an album without separately recording drums/guitar/bass), there's also the possibility that it is a fond nod to their discography. Essentially an album or EP that openly admits to being a bit nostalgic and retrospective. 

The first teaser sounded a little more processed and polished to my ears, more along the lines of post-Warning or "modern" Green Day, whereas this last teaser, at least production-wise, is very simple and stripped down and could almost be taken straight off Insomniac or Nimrod. 

The record would then kinda be a mix of those two styles, perhaps as a sort of "greatest hits" collection, but with the twist that they're all brand-new songs with a retrospective element. 

Spoiler

EDIT: Listening closely to the teaser, I think the demo theory is probably more likely, unless they explicitly want to release something that sounds raw, or certainly more unpolished and stripped down than anything they've released in the last 20 years (apart from Demolicious)!!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Carnaggy said:

He looks like the neighbor lady from arrested development when theyre on tour

Just spilled my coffee all over the place to this 😂 But amen, and even more importantly: #keepthefuckingbeard

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, petros said:

Wow so edgy. 

Yeah, but not as much as bunch of kids air-wanking in circle around a 45yo dude singing about a girl that doesn’t know his name 🙃

• Like 2

third teaser sounds promising, but i guess we have to wait for a first song to see what direction they will go this time

i also hope the standalone songs they released after foam wont be part of this new release

they are part of the pre-show of the super bowl, one day before the sport event takes place, so i guess we could hear a first single close to this date

and a full release on billie's birthday / close to his bday

so imo its an EP

• Like 2

I have to say I’m a bit concerned by the 99 revolutions cloned riff, but hopefully it fits well with the rest and doesn’t feel so cloned in the actual song. 

• Like 2

Part of the riff in last teaser slightly reminds me of a medley they did at Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

• Like 3

It would be really cool if they released a EP for each birthday. Feb, May, Dec. For me It would make total sense and a new and interesting way that the band embark a new era :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, John.reject23 said:

It would be really cool if they released a EP for each birthday. Feb, May, Dec. For me It would make total sense and a new and interesting way that the band embark a new era :)

New trilogy. Not bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mato said:

Part of the riff in last teaser slightly reminds me of a medley they did at Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

At the House of Blues show I was so sure it was the start of a new song. Was super disappointed it wasn’t turned into something on revrad. 

3 minutes ago, John.reject23 said:

It would be really cool if they released a EP for each birthday. Feb, May, Dec. For me It would make total sense. 

1 minute ago, penbreaker said:

New trilogy. Not bad. 

That totally makes sense!!! In the latest teaser, 1972 is written on a whiteboard!!! In ¡CUATRO!, they were seen periodically rearranging the songs on a board!!!

• Love 1

I can’t see them ever revisiting a trilogy again in any stripped down form but who knows. New singles for Mike and Tre’s birthdays maybe

10 hours ago, Jinxs said:

I don't get it. What's the importance of last three dates? Are those their birthdays?

February 17 is Billie’s birthday (and he’s the first of the three to turn 50). So that’s 2+1+7 (2/17). I still think that’s the release date.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, petros said:

Just a reminder that the album this song was on is miles better than anything green day have released after 2009.

I love your awful taste in music 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Interesting comments in this reddit post here analyzing the equipment seen in the teaser as an indication of the sounds they are going for (and therefore what we maybe can expect)

• Like 3

as someone who plays the guitar this reddit stuff is interesting indeed, it could possibly give us a direction but with GD its always hard to predict what they are up to

• Like 2

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic