1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

8 minutes ago, greendepent said:

The amount of delusion and disappointment here mixed together is hilarious :lol: . If I'm gonna pinpoint problems in the production of FOAM, I'd throw my darts to the mastering engineer. He went crazy with the color and compression on the CD master. Hell, listening in vynil is like listening another different record.

Butch did a great job as producer. If he didn't, the band wouldn't be working with him again.

How much different does the vinyl version sound?

4 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

If you think they made the record sound like shit on purpose, not enough 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Different enough to buy it, rip it, and forgetting about the digital release. Most the saturation on BJ's voice is gone, besides all the dynamic range that vynils use to have.

2 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

If you think they made the record sound like shit on purpose, not enough 🙃

Yeah, this could be like it, too, hahaha

1 minute ago, PluckyJokerhead said:

I think there's a lot of confusion between production and mixing + mastering around here.

Production decisions, imo, let FOAM down - whether that was Butch Walker's doing or Green Day's (or as all evidence seems to point, both). When I say that I mean the creative decisions made in the recording process to realise the songs written, i.e very different sounding guitar tones from previous albums, hand claps, synth sounds etc. This is where I think Revolution Radio is miles ahead of FOAM, with the band producing themselves and choosing to go in a more 'Green Day' direction with a lot of Who influences and massive sounding guitars.

From a mixing (+mastering) point of view FOAM sounds great -- much less smashed by limiters during mastering, and things like vocals generally sound more well recorded and have fewer glaring issues with balance and certain harsh frequencies which RevRad suffers from.

Personally I have no reason to believe that Butch Walker couldn't produce a more 'Green Day' sounding record if that's what the band wants, although I must admit I'm not super familiar with any of his work outside of FOAM so obviously not a great start. Mainly just hope they go back to a more organic sound, with less compressed drums and bigger guitars.

Well said!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Major Kusanagi said:

i would argue that sugar youth is another one with green day vibes

True, but not original... Same riff than SHE'S a rebel or 1000 hours

• Haha 1

I want something exciting to happen soon. I hope the songs are amazing and meaningful. The Trilogy was great. Rev Rad was great. 

I hope it’s different than anything they’ve ever done but with songs like a lot Trilogy and Rev Rad songs are as in they mean a lot to a lot of people. I want to feel something. I liked Graffitia and Meet Me on the Roof and the whole record pretty much but I didn’t really connect to much of FOAM as much as I connected to a lot of the Trilogy and most of Rev Rad and then the Longshot.

I don’t care who the producer is. They will pick someone great. I hope the songs are amazing. They are very capable of writing amazing songs. Green Day write the best songs. And I hope it’s not a short record but not a longer record just for the sake of a longer record with lots of filler.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I want something exciting to happen soon. I hope the songs are amazing and meaningful. The Trilogy was great. Rev Rad was great. 

I hope it’s different than anything they’ve ever done but with songs like a lot Trilogy and Rev Rad songs are as in they mean a lot to a lot of people. I want to feel something. I liked Graffitia and Meet Me on the Roof and the whole record pretty much but I didn’t really connect to much of FOAM as much as I connected to a lot of the Trilogy and most Rev Rad and then the Longshot.

I don’t care who the producer is. They will pick someone great. I hope the songs are amazing. They are very capable of writing amazing songs. Green Day write the best songs. And I hope it’s not a short record but not a longer record just for the sake of a longer record with lots of filler.

If the February 2nd theory is correct, I say we get the last teaser on that day, a single on Friday, February 4th, and the album (or EP) on the 17th (Billie’s birthday)!!!!

On the other hand, if we get the album on Billie’s birthday, shouldn’t we have had a single this month?

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I love how people just wanna blame Butch and not GD for the production qualities as if GD is some no name group who has zero say in their recording process…

I would say a lot of the big name groups now are the ones who have less control. At least the newer ones

13 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

If the February 2nd theory is correct, I say we get the last teaser on that day, a single on Friday, February 4th, and the album (or EP) on the 17th (Billie’s birthday)!!!!

On the other hand, if we get the album on Billie’s birthday, shouldn’t we have had a single this month?

I am so excited about all of this. It will happen and the surprise whenever it happens will be amazing!

February 2nd!!!!!!! Let’s hope so!!!!! That seems soon!!!!!

👏👏👏👏 Let’s go Green Day! Hurray!!!!!!

• Love 1

14 hours ago, PluckyJokerhead said:

I think there's a lot of confusion between production and mixing + mastering around here.

Production decisions, imo, let FOAM down - whether that was Butch Walker's doing or Green Day's (or as all evidence seems to point, both). When I say that I mean the creative decisions made in the recording process to realise the songs written, i.e very different sounding guitar tones from previous albums, hand claps, synth sounds etc. This is where I think Revolution Radio is miles ahead of FOAM, with the band producing themselves and choosing to go in a more 'Green Day' direction with a lot of Who influences and massive sounding guitars.

From a mixing (+mastering) point of view FOAM sounds great -- much less smashed by limiters during mastering, and things like vocals generally sound more well recorded and have fewer glaring issues with balance and certain harsh frequencies which RevRad suffers from.

Personally I have no reason to believe that Butch Walker couldn't produce a more 'Green Day' sounding record if that's what the band wants, although I must admit I'm not super familiar with any of his work outside of FOAM so obviously not a great start. Mainly just hope they go back to a more organic sound, with less compressed drums and bigger guitars.

you-literally-took-the-words-out-of-my-m

Anyway, I did some research and found out that Butch Walker produced some pretty awesome stuff over the years for some pretty big name artists. The ones that stood out me were Train's 2009 Save Me San Francisco album (which I love), Rob Thomas' 2019 Chip Tooth Smile album (which I also love), as well as Taylor Swift's re-recording of Red (cough @Little Boy Named Booze cough). Read more about all of it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Walker. I just feel like he missed the mark with FOAM and that his approach was perhaps not the best fit for Green Day, but he obviously has the chops. I am willing to give him another chance. 

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

cd4f38797ee5474fc48c1b7b31ecc345f64f75aa

Dang. We’ll have to find someone else to blame for those claps then. I bet it was Chris Dugan. Hope he’s not involved with the next album.

• Haha 3

A lot of the decisions were def brought on and at the very least green lighted by the band but… It is crazy how sensitive Butch is to criticism - literally any creative decision that gets backlash he redirects right back to GD, even though it matches his style and GD has talked about how much of a partnership it was 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, legendary said:

I think the February 2 theory is correct. May we get a new teaser and after, a new single release coming on Feb 4.

Exactly what I said!

4 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Butch Walker os not a Rock man. Green Day needs a rock producer

Perhaps Butch Vig again?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Butch Walker os not a Rock man. Green Day needs a rock producer

yeah I think George Martin should produce the next album 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

yeah I think George Martin should produce the next album 

George Martin died in 2016 but his son Giles has handled the Beatles’ recent remixes of Sgt. Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road, and Let it Be. The last time he actually produced an album was Paul McCartney’s “NEW” album in 2013

https://www.billboard.com/media/lists/best-music-producers-9603412/amp/

Perhaps they should reunite with Rob Cavallo, as he’s #20 on this list

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, michael1989 said:

Dang. We’ll have to find someone else to blame for those claps then. I bet it was Chris Dugan. Hope he’s not involved with the next album.

I think it might have been Billie Joe. Hope he’s not… oh… hold on!

• Haha 2

Just now, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

This all seems awesome whatever he’s working on. 

You're always positive I really like you !!

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

You're always positive I really like you !!

I don’t really know much about Butch Walker but looking through his Instagram just now looks like he’s really interesting and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next. 

Being a Green Day fan is an amazing super positive thing. The best band and they work so hard to bring us so much good stuff. How lucky are we??

• Like 4

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic