1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

5 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Honestly I’d be cool with them adding Billie’s ass going across a washboard into a song if they did it really well and did something interesting with it. 

Well, there's an image.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We don’t know for sure if Butch Walker is the producer this time. He could’ve just simply liked and commented on the post like all their friends and us fans! For all we know, maybe they got some British producer this time, since they recorded at RAK in London

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

We don’t know for sure if Butch Walker is the producer this time. He could’ve just simply liked and commented on the post like all their friends and us fans! For all we know, maybe they got some British producer this time, since they recorded at RAK in London

This.

• Like 1

I’m fully hoping butch is producing again.  Green Day needed a little life brought back to their sound. Rev Rad was self produced and was pretty evident. Foam is full of energy and the production is great. Crisp, loud, and full 

I think butch has is hands on this one.  Recall his interview at NAMM last year? He said he was recording new Green Day music.  

Here is a question , what do you think is Green Day’s best produced albumv

Nimrod for me, the guitar tone, the drums all sound perfect. I like the sound of Billie’s voice from this time. The strings also sound great. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

Here is a question , what do you think is Green Day’s best produced albumv

Nimrod for me, the guitar tone, the drums all sound perfect. I like the sound of Billie’s voice from this time. The strings also sound great. 

i mostly listen to music with headphones

AI has the best music sound quality, 21CB on a close second place (imo its a bit too perfect/too overproduced, but still a great listen)

i really dont know what to expect, the standalone songs after foam have been...not so good, maybe just good, but far from sth i would consider a solid GD standard

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Billie shared Tré’s post and then zoomed in like the pic on his original post the art is based on that was really funny!

I totally laughed A LOT for this ahahahah really he's so silly, by the way Comeasur is AMAZING, she also did us for Green Day Italia the cover of the Italian version of Size the Green Day by Niki Lee, that's amazing!  

https://www.amazon.it/Seize-Green-Day-Edizione-Italiana/dp/1727235517  if you wanna have a look at the cover  :) @Give_Me_Novacaine90  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

Awwww we’re back at the stage where one producer is blamed for everything, from mixing to the band’s artistic choices, fun times 🥰

Just leaving this here as a reminder of what the production process for FOAM looked like (starts at 04:09:50), and of the fact that if you don’t like this record or the mixing you can only blame the band and their choices 🙃:

The video is unavailable for me

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

The video is unavailable for me

Same

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Honestly I’d be cool with them adding Billie’s ass going across a washboard into a song if they did it really well and did something interesting with it. 

I have never wanted anything so badly in my life. 🤣

Finally got back here after being busy with work. I agree with a lot of what folks said about the pressure Green Day was under after American Idiot. I think on the whole they are still very glad they did it. Billie has spoken a lot about how much all those songs mean to him, so I doubt he regrets doing it. But yes, he put a lot of pressure on himself to follow something so successful after that, and also I am sure they had a lot of pressure put on them by Warner to continue cranking out such smash hits that make tons of money. Yes, I agree that it seemed Billie was trying to defile the AI album cover with the FOAM cover, but I doubt his anger/frustration was aimed at the album itself, and more at feeling like he had been put in a box by Warner to basically keep making AI over and over for commercial success. Again, given that this was their last album with Warner, I really feel like the cover and much of the music was a final giant middle finger to them. (No one can tell me "Take The Money and Crawl" is not aimed at Warner, and the specter of Billie telling Warner execs to suck his cock makes me unreasonably happy. 🤣)

Frustration with Warner and their constraints on what the band could put out likely contributed to the growth of the side projects, especially recently with stuff like the Longshot and the Network revival. I would have loved to see "Ivankkka is a Nazi" released as a Green Day song, but I can bet Warner would never allow that for fear of a libel suit (not that the Trumps would have much of a case, but that has never stopped them before LOL, and they could still cost Warner a lot of time and money tying up things in courts with a bogus case). I personally would have loved it as a Green Day release just to watch the president of the United States argue with a rock band on Twitter. That would have been a perfect encapsulation of the current state of America. 🤣

Let us not forget that AI was born of Green Day hitting bottom and just being like "fuck it" and taking a risk and doing something unexpected and writing from the heart about things they cared about, and I think its success was a direct result of that. I would love to see Green Day do that again. Forget what is expected of them and just do what they want, and the rest will follow. 

Maybe the video is just as it appears.   That's what it looked like when they were recording FOAM, lol.

I did find some interesting Butch Walker interviews, but nothing related to Green Day.  Just him showing off his studio and singing booth for insecure vocalists.   

Right now, I'm comparing Green Day and Shinedown, because they are about to release their seventh record, and for Green Day that was American Idiot.   Shinedown are my #10  band compared to Green Day at #1.     I feel like once Shinedown got to their third record, every song is a powerful success.   What can they do on the all-important ALBUM SEVEN to shake things up, reinvigorate the sound?   

And Green Day, who are astoundingly on their seven album AFTER Idiot.   Fourteen albums.  

I think 2022 is about to start picking up speed in terms of mega rock releases.   We just have to make it through the deadness of January. 

• Like 1

I've never been the biggest FOAM fan, but it grew on me more and Graffitia has even become one of my all time favorites. I love the production of that song, especially when you listen with headphones. In my dreams, that's the direction they're heading with their new record. So if Butch producing the new album means we'll get more Graffitia-styled songs, then I'm all in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

I've never been the biggest FOAM fan, but it grew on me more and Graffitia has even become one of my all time favorites. I love the production of that song, especially when you listen with headphones. In my dreams, that's the direction they're heading with their new record. So if Butch producing the new album means we'll get more Graffitia-styled songs, then I'm all in.

Graffitia IS the only song on that album with Green Day Vibes ... The rest sound like other band with Billie Joe as guest doing the background vocals

And yes, just to follow up on my last post, I do know that Warner put out the last Network album, but they probably thought there was less danger in being controversial with something that most people probably would not pay attention to, than to do it under the Green Day name where the whole world would be watching (though the Network album did get some mainstream press and then they went on Jimmy Fallon; really wish they had done Ivankkka is a Nazi on Fallon LOL). Does anyone know who owns the rights to that album? Does Warner?

Also, not a big Butch Walker fan, but I don't really expect this album to sound like FOAM. They have started moving away from that sound ever since releasing that album. Like Holy Toledo sounds a million times better; do we know who produced that? 

8 hours ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

Weird, must be blocked in some countries due to song copyrights issues.  It’s the FOAM production brake down from Butch Walker at the LUNA festival. Will try to download and re-upload that bit somewhere, it’s really a unique and super valuable insight over a Green Day song production process. 

Here you go, the actual breakdown starts around minute 8, but the whole thing is very interesting IMHO. 

Not sure if there’s a download section thread where this belongs for archive purposes, in case I can provide the file :) 

50 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

Here you go, the actual breakdown starts around minute 8, but the whole thing is very interesting IMHO. 

Not sure if there’s a download section thread where this belongs for archive purposes, in case I can provide the file :) 

This one’s blocked too

EDIT: I refreshed and now I can see it

But to be honest, the mixing quality in Green Day‘s songs massively declined. All songs after 2016 sound so boomy and have so much more low end frequencies. Until RevRad their songs were much more balanced (RevRad included)

1 hour ago, Flashback said:

But to be honest, the mixing quality in Green Day‘s songs massively declined. All songs after 2016 sound so boomy and have so much more low end frequencies. Until RevRad their songs were much more balanced (RevRad included)

I really cannot get these quality critiques on FOAM’s mixing. I do get that the approach is quite different from anything they’ve done before, probably especially when it comes to drums, and with that comes the fact that fans can dislike it (totally fair and to be expected). But if we talk about mixing quality I still think those songs sound way better than anything they’ve published since 21CB.
Especially when compared to RevRad. If they have to change direction again with the next record, I surely hope they will not go back to that. IMHO having fresh external inputs in the production and mixing side of things did good to this band, I hope to see that in the future rather then another 10 years of self produced records. 
Then, do I want the same creative direction they took with FOAM for the next record(s)? Probably not, but that’s all up to the band. 

• Like 4

Hello everyone, haven't come here in ten years for the UnoDosTré release ! What's the concensus on the 1972 project ? Full album or EP ?

• AlissaGoesRAWR changed the title to 1972 project speculation thread
  • AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic
  • BeachBum unlocked this topic